HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 10:30 AM

All that I have heard for the Mackay says they will have to replace it. It was built differently then the Macdonald and can't really support the same type of redecking.

I saw some preliminary ideas for the design and one of them had bridge towers that would be taller then the tufts cove smoke stacks.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
All that I have heard for the Mackay says they will have to replace it. It was built differently then the Macdonald and can't really support the same type of redecking.

I saw some preliminary ideas for the design and one of them had bridge towers that would be taller then the tufts cove smoke stacks.
Yes, apparently the underlying structure has proven to be too lightweight and is not holding up to the pounding it has been taking with the growth of heavy truck traffic. Not a comforting thought. The scenario I thought I saw a rendering of was a 6-lane bridge built adjacent to the existing one, but I can't find that now.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 3:04 PM

Replacing the Mackay was discussed here.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 7:38 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Here is something interesting, or at least I think it is for those that don't travel the 2 bridges on a regular basis. Not that many years the Macdonald was the bridge that seemed the most unsteady and moved in heavy traffic. It's pretty solid now as far as I can tell? Maybe I've just gotten used to it? However, the Mackay seems like vibrates way more than I ever remember now. If the deck cannot be replaced or added to, then that really stinks.

I'm still for 1 if not 2 tunnels instead of a new bridge though.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
The second image - the Wyse Road perspective - looks odd to me. At 30 storeys they're pretty much twice as tall as Metropolitan Place(16 floors) but sure don't appear it from that angle. Granted, their ground floors will be on a slightly lower elevation, which I guess accounts for the discrepancy.

Wonder if they'll actually be built. Oh, wait - I forgot - they're already underway, due for completion in 2022.
I agree, the angle looks to be playing tricks. I've been busy with other stuff but would you like me to make a quick model with context for you to see for yourself? While I personally find these towers actually quite boring and lazy, they would be very easy to model!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrian Laing View Post
I agree, the angle looks to be playing tricks. I've been busy with other stuff but would you like me to make a quick model with context for you to see for yourself? While I personally find these towers actually quite boring and lazy, they would be very easy to model!
Well, as Jonovision helpfully pointed out: "Typically office towers have taller floors. So where a residential building might have 10 to 12 ft between floors an office would have 12 to 15 ft between floors. So they might not actually be twice as tall."

But if you'd like to model the project, have at it! I'm really enjoying your work.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 8:41 PM

Yeah, I saw that as well! I'll definitely take that into consideration but I should be fine so long as I follow the building drawings. (and thanks, that's nice of you to say - I'm glad you're liking it - let me know if you have any advice or if there are angles you want to see) I'll hop on this one next!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2021, 3:43 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
More renderings from the site, which sort of answer my questions:

Source
Excellent location for a public aerial viewing platform. Mini version of Hudson Yards - One World Trade etc. The view should extend from Bedford Basin to Chebucto Head. Maybe there could be a Halifax explosion theme and have images on the elevator walls of the changing docks on the Halifax waterfront, explosion aftermath images and end at the top with the IMO and Mount Blanc positioned in the harbour where the explosion occurred.

Last edited by Empire; Sep 6, 2021 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 12:01 PM

I do not recall reading this here, but I understand that O'Regans Automotive has begun design and approval processes to relocate their GM dealership on Robie St to one of the sites they own on Kempt Rd, that being their National Leasing property on the west side of Kempt across from the intersections with Livingstone and Stairs Sts next to their BMW/Mini operation. Once done, the Robie St site will be a prime development location.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I do not recall reading this here, but I understand that O'Regans Automotive has begun design and approval processes to relocate their GM dealership on Robie St to one of the sites they own on Kempt Rd, that being their National Leasing property on the west side of Kempt across from the intersections with Livingstone and Stairs Sts next to their BMW/Mini operation. Once done, the Robie St site will be a prime development location.
That seems like great news. In my dream world the whole Kempt area would also redevelop (since I live up that way), but I can also appreciate that there's still demand for such uses near to the core and that Kempt is currently the best place for it. Having car dealerships on Robie is such a waste of good space these days.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 12:47 PM

Related, AllNS reports today that Steele has been land banking in Bayer's Lake to create a massive "auto mall". Dealerships would de-camp from the Kempt Road area as they come up for renewal. Ford is supposed to be first, followed by Volvo.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Related, AllNS reports today that Steele has been land banking in Bayer's Lake to create a massive "auto mall". Dealerships would de-camp from the Kempt Road area as they come up for renewal. Ford is supposed to be first, followed by Volvo.
They've re-done a lot of their dealerships along Kempt Rd. Already... I think the only older ones Steele has there is Volvo, Ford and Subaru. The rest of the Steele branded dealerships are quite new.

I wonder if O'regans would move over with them.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
They've re-done a lot of their dealerships along Kempt Rd. Already... I think the only older ones Steele has there is Volvo, Ford and Subaru. The rest of the Steele branded dealerships are quite new.

I wonder if O'regans would move over with them.
Unlikely. O'regans has new buildings on Kempt for VW, BMW/Mini, Kia and Nissan/Infiniti, along with not as new but recently updated ones for Mercedes-Benz and Toyota/Lexus. Add to that their apparent plans to relocate their GM operation from Robie to Kempt and they have quite the presence there. Plus Steele has just constructed new facilities on or near Kempt for Porsche, Land Rover/Jaguar and Audi. And Steele and O'Regans are fierce competitors.

Steele owns the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealership in Bayers Lake. I wonder if they are planning to abandon that location? It is somewhat landlocked but has great visibility.

Last edited by Keith P.; Oct 8, 2021 at 12:18 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Two new development rumours to mention tonight thanks to AllNovaScotia.com.

1) Clark Wilkins has announced his intentions to redevelop 6-14 Victoria Road & 88 Queen Street in Downtown Dartmouth. No specifics are mentioned however he mentions that it will require a development agreement which under the current MPS means that it will exceed 5 Fl / 70 FT / 24 UNITS. The properties are currently abandoned following drug-activity problems in 2012.

Google Streetview of Victoria & Queen

2) The other development mentioned is also by Clark Wilkins and will be built at 836 & 842 Portland Street (SW corner of Portland Hills Drive). Again no specifics are mentioned but it will be a mixed commercial/residential project requiring a development agreement. Important to note here is its across the street from Portland Hills Terminal which hopefully will be taken into account in regards to density and layout.

Google Streetview of Portland Street & Portland Hills Drive

Source : "Clark Wilkins Has Plans For Two Dartmouth Sites" (December 6th, 2013) - AllNovaScotia.com

Stumbled across this post and checked the Streetview links. Eight years along, they remain empty lots.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Stumbled across this post and checked the Streetview links. Eight years along, they remain empty lots.
The downtown lots are still vacant, but the Portland Hills one is definitely not. You were looking at a two-year-old Street View shot; there's a large commercial development on that site now.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Oct 9, 2021 at 1:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
The downtown lots are still vacant, but the Portland Hills one is definitely not. You were looking at a two-year-old Street View shot; there's a large commercial development on that site now.
Ah, good to hear. Hopefully Google will step up their street view game.

You would think DT Dartmouth would be more likely to have development occur than out in the boonies, but despite some PR to the contrary, it seems to be progressing very slowly and is still somewhat shabby. I guess the councillor has been too busy getting curb bump-outs and unused bike lanes installed.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 2:49 AM

Quote:
You would think DT Dartmouth would be more likely to have development occur than out in the boonies, but despite some PR to the contrary, it seems to be progressing very slowly and is still somewhat shabby. I guess the councillor has been too busy getting curb bump-outs and unused bike lanes installed.
Downtown development has been slower than I'd like but at the same time faster than at any time in my life. I think a bunch of stuff is about to happen. There's further construction poised to start at Kings Wharf and the commercial building on the "Moffatt's Block" (it I can call it that) is underway, to be followed by a 12-storey next door on the corner. The vacant lot at the end of King, on the corner of Alderney and directly across from Kings Wharf, is screaming for development and I'll be surprised if something doesn't happen there sooner rather than later.

It is quite disappointing that those Victoria-Queen lots you mentioned are still untouched, though.

In the meantime, there's been a ton of reno/re-development of older commercial buildings. Downtown Dartmouth is quite a different place than it was even a decade ago, and in a good way.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 12:40 PM
Closed account

Something I came across in browsing apartment listings. Looks like Southwest is planning something at 1037 Lucknow:

“Please note that this property provides only month-month leases as Southwest is exploring redevelopment of this property. The timeline for redevelopment has yet to be established as the project is in preliminary stages with the city. Once application has been made, development timelines will be shared.”

http://https://apartments.southwest....28361220211310

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 5:11 PM

That's an interesting block, with one of my favorite older buildings, Park Plaza, at 1055, and then those somewhat odd long but narrow and low 1940s/50s apartments at 1037 and 1027 on the east side of the street. I could see both of those low ones going away.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 8:15 PM

any news on the Dartmouth Post Office? Seems to be renovations on the 2nd floor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth