HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 1:09 PM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Would it be better to send my comment in, or give it to you?
It's better to send it in to the city, but I'd love to take a look because then I can work to reinforce your points in my delegation.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonForward View Post
It’s in Jason Farr’s ward, so you could send him an email at Jason.Farr@hamilton.ca.

My recommendation, though, would be to write an email to all members of the plannng committee You can find all city councillor emails here.
That's a great idea about contacting the planning committee. I already made a similar comment on the reddit thread, but what I find hilarious is that the city council just made a big show of declaring a climate emergency. Obviously density, density near a GO station and density via infill is great for lower carbon emissions rather than greenfield sprawl. So if there really is an emergency than isn't this a no-brainer to be approved?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 3:18 PM
Forever forward.

Deferred for 30 days (on applicant request) so they can present a new proposal that responds to community and planning concerns.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Deferred for 30 days (on applicant request) so they can present a new proposal that responds to community and planning concerns.
I can't imagine the new proposal will be much better recieves unless they hit that 8 storey mark which seems to be the max the city is willing to allow.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
I can't imagine the new proposal will be much better recieves unless they hit that 8 storey mark which seems to be the max the city is willing to allow.
Hamilton and Simcoe...#unstoppable

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Did we ever hear what happened to this after this was deferred?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 7:10 PM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Did we ever hear what happened to this after this was deferred?
I haven't heard anything. GSP Group still has the project listed as active on their site though, so I assume this is still being worked on behind the scenes.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 2:34 PM

This is going in front of Planning committee for a recommended approval, following revisions to the proposal that reduced it to 10 storeys and 89 units.

https://pub-hamilton.escribemeetings...umentId=238428

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 4:55 PM

Approved at Planning Committee, heading to council.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 1:24 AM
It's Hammer Time

Ten-storey condo near West Harbour GO station gets city nod

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...mended_for_you

A 10-storey condo building near the west harbour rail line on MacNab Street North has the approval of the city’s planning committee.

The developers shaved three storeys from the original plan and reduced the unit count to 89 from 100 after city officials asked for changes last year.

The owners of 282 MacNab St. N., St. Jean Properties Inc. and Durand Development Corporation, also increased setbacks and parking to 66 spots from 51.

“We’re happy to see this, particularly at this time,” Coun. Jason Farr said Tuesday.

The development near the West Harbour GO station and CN Rail line will bring jobs and residents to the downtown during the economic slowdown caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, he said.

But a neighbouring church congregation that dates to 1916 hasn’t offered its blessing.

“People are ready for a public protest, taking into consideration that they are not being listened to,” Rev. Lucian Puscariu of the Holy Resurrection Romanian Orthodox Church wrote in a letter to city officials.

In separate letters, Puscariu and Nick Bunu, president of the parish council, say they’re concerned excavation will damage the old church.

They also predict scarce parking during religious functions and worry the church bells will bother future residents.

“I think they would have preferred townhouses, to which I said there’s no way we can do that,” Farr said.

Architect Drew Hauser of McCallumSather told the committee the parking ratio was “dramatically improved” through the revised plan.

He questioned bells being a problem for 282 MacNab residents, noting people already live within earshot of other churches and other noises downtown. “So people that are living in this type of density and urban environment, I think they’re very well aware of where they’re moving to.”

Fellow architect William Neal said the effect of noise and vibrations on the church is a “huge consideration” that will be addressed in the process ahead. “The city has standards for all of that.”

Tuesday’s approval of land-use changes to allow the mid-rise comes with conditions, including consultation with CN and Metrolinx on noise levels.

Hauser said those studies were submitted. The hope is start construction in spring.

The committee’s decision still needs a final nod from council.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 4:40 AM

That church is really grasping at straws for their concerns, eh?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 12:19 AM

Spec article has been updated with a current render:

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 2:23 AM

It's like cobblestone but a building

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 4:18 AM

Such a lazy render.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:21 PM

This building site has been a litmus test for me - if midrise transit oriented development can't be developed in this city then really there's no point in not pissing of NIMBYs everywhere.

This is the type of housing that there is near universal agreement we need more of to develop into a modern urban centre. If the city, city council and neighbourhoods can't get behind it we've truly entered into a no-progress zone.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:27 PM

There's probably something to be said here about the collective mentality of a city which hasn't progressed much in 40 years. Industry collapse'll do that to ya.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipedreams View Post
This building site has been a litmus test for me - if midrise transit oriented development can't be developed in this city then really there's no point in not pissing of NIMBYs everywhere.

This is the type of housing that there is near universal agreement we need more of to develop into a modern urban centre. If the city, city council and neighbourhoods can't get behind it we've truly entered into a no-progress zone.
Yes, but it's been approved.
One person is still voicing a concern, Rev. Lucian Puscariu.
There's never 100% consensus.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
Yes, but it's been approved.
One person is still voicing a concern, Rev. Lucian Puscariu.
There's never 100% consensus.
Pardon my French, but the entire complaint about structural issues is such BS. This is why we have civil engineering.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 7:15 PM

People around the corner trying to get the head start on this project; outta there.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...eet-w-hamilton

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 11:13 PM

Those houses on Murray are interesting. With those two front entrances, I'm guessing they were duplexes originally. The one for sale is preserved in all its 1970s glory. Beautiful.

I seem to have misunderstood the location of this project. So we've now got developments on this property and the one across the street facing Stuart? Nice one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton