HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Aug 20, 2005, 9:16 PM
Is Here To Stay. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoyboy2pt0
Let's get some more screenshots!
Sadly, I don't have a photo host. Any quality, decent & cheap ones that come off the top of anyone's head?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2005, 1:08 AM
Run with Love

well about three or four days after my post my computer crashed I lost all my music, pictures and simcity/sim stuff. I was able to get my pictures (from my camera) but the ones from SC4 werent found so here is my current largest. Which I am going too delete because I downloaded a funky plugin...

Growing up

Last picture I got before things started getting weird

I think the pop was smoething like 400,000 but it wasnt much land that city is mostly water and a lot of the land was an airport
"Dazzled by the needles of light stitching the water, I turned to watch him watch them. I noticed his eyelashes were reflected in his eyes, like awning in windowpanes. As I tried to make sense of that reflection, I found I could not look away. His irises were brown, clouding into orange with brighter flecks around his pupils. Then it became as important not to look as to look, I feared I would be lost in rush of bronze motes."

Old Posted Aug 21, 2005, 1:10 AM
Run with Love

^ I dont know why they are so small... but any how you get the idea
"Dazzled by the needles of light stitching the water, I turned to watch him watch them. I noticed his eyelashes were reflected in his eyes, like awning in windowpanes. As I tried to make sense of that reflection, I found I could not look away. His irises were brown, clouding into orange with brighter flecks around his pupils. Then it became as important not to look as to look, I feared I would be lost in rush of bronze motes."

Old Posted Aug 21, 2005, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoyboy2pt0
Let's get some more screenshots!
Sadly, I don't have a photo host. Any quality, decent & cheap ones that come off the top of anyone's head?
I use http://www.imageshack.us/ for hosting.

Damnit, this thread got me all jucied up to re-install SC4K and I can't find my cd!!! D'oh!!!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2005, 8:28 PM
Is Here To Stay. . .

Here's quite a few night shots (with a couple of day shots), I took a few days ago. It's my central city, or CBD of Whittleston County. It's the largest city, since I had to start new from scratch on my new desktop.

I give you, Gouldboro:

Old Posted Aug 22, 2005, 12:36 AM

Very very nice Pride. I turned the 'night option' off...forgot who good it looks at night. Looks awesome!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2005, 11:37 PM
Is Here To Stay. . .

Appreciate it. . .I need to post some of my suburbs, industrial & airport area, as well.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2005, 1:48 AM
R.I.P*PUCHO*1990-2005

I no my is growing not as fast as yall place But is growing all right
*-=|=-* R.I.P Pucho July 22, 1990 - Feb 24, 2005 10:30AM*-=|=-* "We Will Miss You"

Old Posted Aug 27, 2005, 12:51 AM

Here's the city on the large Berlin plot that I'm working on. It's currently in it's 99th year and has ~383000 people.

Click the thumbnails for the full size screenshot.

Overview - Year 99

Downtown and the main residential areas - Year 37

Downtown and the main residential areas - Year 99

Old Posted Aug 27, 2005, 8:33 PM

Awesome stuff guys.

How do you get different land regions? Just load a region that came with the game or did you download those regions from somewhere?

I had to re-buy the game since I lost my cd (my cities were still on my hard drive though, lol).

What speed do you guys play at? Rhino...Cheetah? In between?

Man, I'm ctrl x'ing and 'weakness pays' like it's my job right now.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2005, 8:43 PM
Is Here To Stay. . .

Well, I've deleted that entire city I showed above, due to "crashing" reasons. I've started over with a new region, and starting with a completely different approach.

As for regions, I definately download my maps. I love the realism of the real city maps, or even some of the fantasy style maps. As of right now, I'm still debating if I want to go with the Providence, RI, Cinncinati, OH, or Baltimore, MD. Now, I just use those maps for the cities I build; not to make copies of the actual city itself.

Speed? It all depends at the moment. If I'm wanting my downtown, or a huge subdivision to grow rapidly, then I use cheetah for a minute or two. Like I said, it all depends, at the moment.

Yeah, we all have to CTRL-X quite a bit to make certain buildings grow. And "weakness pays" is a waste. Just download a money tree, or money mod at Simtropolis. I usually keep the 1x1 money park that gives me $4 million a month, then delete it. There's plenty more to create my real looking city, than to wait til the end of the month and barely break even. There's too many mishaps in the game to have to wait. Besides, I'm impatient sometimes, and don't have the time to wait, considering my kids are wanting to do something, or go somewhere.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2005, 5:17 AM

Thanks. I'll have to lookup the money tree mod.

I'm just over 125,000 people. Had to demo a lot of R and C's bc the bastards were complaing about traffic and getting into accidents (I have the Deluxe version which includes rush hour). I made an awesome subway system...even with parking garges next to them to encourage 'park and rides' but...nooooooo...they want to DRIVE. ****ers! The streets are over-crowded (avenues to be exact) and they still don't want to use the subway. So I demo'd a lot of R and C's and took out the ave. that was clogging things up and built and elevated highway.

Anyone have any secrets about public trans. (i.e. subways)? How close the stops should be to each other and in what type of dominated region (RCI)??

I know what you mean about crashing. I was 'goofing off' and I don't save when I do that...I'm curious to see what happens...then it turns out ok...and I want to save it....then *click* game crashes and computer restarts after 4 hours of experimenting. D'oh!!!! BTW, they took out the 'save as' feature in deluxe addition. Boooooo.

Is it possible to have no industry (I) in your city? Can you rely on I from the neighboring region (that you make) to supply it for you and use more of your land for R and C?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2005, 4:28 PM
30,000 Feet and Climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoy2.0
Is it possible to have no industry (I) in your city? Can you rely on I from the neighboring region (that you make) to supply it for you and use more of your land for R and C?
Yes, thats how i build all my cities. One city is all residencial, one all commerical, and one all industry. I works pretty well too.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2005, 8:42 PM

You can do it with power too, I build little "Energy Forest" cities to supply the huge ones. Build coal power plants on the edge of the map, and build a small suburban residential population close to the main neighbour connection.
The taxes from the residents and the revenue from selling power will easily balance the cost of running the power plants.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2005, 3:43 AM

So if I cut out all the industry on my 'main' city...then save and exit to region...go to another region and make the neighboring city all industry...that would effect my industry bar in my main city?

Industry is how I keep the job market flowin, lol. Plus C is down and the residents don't have jobs...how to you have a city with people and jobs and no I? They just travel to the neigboring region? Won't that make the commute super long?

Man, I don't see how you do it! I was much better on that one on SNES.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2005, 4:35 AM
Run with Love

Here is what I do. Start on your main city. Most likely this is the one you want the most commercial in; though I don't start it off that way. I start out with what will be downtown zoned to almost the size I want it but normally in low density. I typically make the water front industrial, and the rest of the city I zone for rows. (Hum I should make a thread on how to do that because its my trade mark and is really neat- any how) Don't over do with streets and no parks or schools for a while- you can add all your extra stuff later- at first all you need is power and roads... a few streets and such to get people around. Lower taxes on R$ then play normally until the city stops growing. If you are happy with where you are at save then start the city next to it. Do it however you want BUT make sure its going to be your main Industrial city... build all the industry you can make sure they cities are well connected. Then you go back to your main city, start raising taxes on dirty industry and start rezoning it. Going back and forth moving all your industry to another secondary city while you start to rezone and increase demand for commercial in your main one. You start adding you 'flavor' then and it will spur higher wealth and development. Think of it like most real cities, they start out 90% industrial then that turns to commercial then to high rises and high wealth while the industrial sector moves/shifts to a different location. Then you can build the rest of your region around these to main cities, always make sure that every city has a little of something- pure residential cities don't normally work unless you have very good transit; are directly connected and you have a very large downtown. It best not to use the large maps for this, I use the middle sized ones for my cities, and if ever I feel like suburbs I use large maps for that.

That help?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2005, 5:04 PM

Oh yeah, sounds like a plan.

What do you recommend is the best way of transit? Subways, Ave.'s, one way streets, bus stops? I have subways, but those dolts don't use them. Not sure if they are too far away from each other or not in enough res. areas or what. I'm at 130,000 and was thinking about starting over anyway. My city is all over the place right now.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2005, 5:15 PM

pride, could you give me a link to a download for those big highway lights?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2005, 5:26 PM
Is Here To Stay. . .

Pinoy, personally I don't use subways, at all. I usually use commuter rail, bus stops, highway, avenues & a few one way streets. I'm just not real big on using overhead rail or subway.

biguc, if you have a simtropolis.com account you can goto the STEX to view & download them here: Highway Light Towers v2

Old Posted Aug 30, 2005, 6:05 PM

thanks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art