Five World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 7:30 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
Uhh...it's a basic massing model. It took 4 minutes to make. It's only meant to show the possible size of the building.
I know that. If there were renderings of it, I would have known.

I was just saying that lets hope that 5WTC isn't that bland and... ugly.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 9:02 PM

I think the site should be turned into a big ol' green lawn, freely accessible to public, until there is enough demand and financing to build the tower (which won't happen for at least five years even by the most optimistic estimates).

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 9:14 PM
World Machine

^^^I believe they are using the space as a temporary staging area for the VSC construction.

Based on that article it seems to make financial sense to build the PAC on this site, and sort of fuse a residential / hotel mix on top. However, I don’t think they should rush into any decision at the cost of eliminating an office building option for a brighter market (which in all honestly doesn’t seem that far off).

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 9:24 PM

^True. Besides, once the office market bounces back up, developers would be incredibly hard-pressed to find an open site in Downtown that can accommodate a modern tower of such bulk (with large floorplates) and height.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 9:37 PM
World Machine

^^^And knowing how rare open development space in Lower Manhattan is, it all the more constitutes the need for an office option to be on the table. I don’t want to undermine the value a PAC could have in the area, but when all said and done this is an industry driven part of town.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 3:00 AM
New Yorker for life

http://downtownexpress.com/de_403/deutschebank.html

Deutsche Bank building almost down

BY Michael Mandelkern
January 12 - 18, 2010

Quote:
Community Board 1’s W.T.C. Redevelopment Committee met on Monday to track the deconstruction progress of 130 Liberty Street and development status of the World Trade Center site.

Josh Rosenbloom, the Lower Manhattan Development Corp-oration’s director of city operations, told the board that, despite past delays, the L.M.D.C. expects to clear 130 Liberty Street, site of the former Deutsche Bank building, for future development by the end of this month. As of Monday afternoon, 35 percent of the concrete and supporting steel had been stripped from the second floor.

The L.M.D.C. is now focused on finishing the western and southern perimeter of the site. Workers will haul in heavy equipment next week to complete the project. But Pat Moore, a member of the C.B. 1 committee, bemoaned the machinery’s clamor.

“It’s early, loud and just awful,” said Moore.

Moore said she was specifically referring to a recent Sunday when she was awoken by construction noise.

Rosenbloom replied, “It’s not going to be quiet, but not louder than a jackhammer.”

Moore, whose bedroom window is right above the Ladder 10/Engine 10 Firehouse, said she woke up last Monday morning to see construction workers removing the scaffolding and flooring from the firehouse’s roof. She questioned whether any dust that might have been under the flooring might have been toxic.

“Anything that may have come off in construction should have been minimal,” said Rosenbloom.

By the end of the week workers will dismantle the tower crane that has protruded from the site for the past five years. Rosenbloom called the crane’s removal “a positive milestone for the community.”

Employees are still working on the sewage system on the west side of Greenwich Street for the Port Authority’s future Vehicle Security Center, which will be constructed below the 130 Liberty site, and is set to be completed by 2013. Rosenbloom confirmed that the Port Authority will get full construction access to the site in February, but said that control over 130 Liberty Street is a “more complex real estate issue.” The site is set to change hands, from the L.M.D.C. to the Port Authority, after the building is completely town down.

Construction workers will continue to work from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and Sunday when necessary. The recent blizzard that hit New York City, cold temperatures and heavy dust clouds through the deconstruction have hindered some steady work.

The Port Authority touted progress made on the W.T.C. site as a whole.

“There’s a lot of buzz and enthusiasm for the 10th anniversary of 9/11,” said Quentin Braithwaite, the Port Authority’s assistant director of W.T.C. construction. “A great majority of infrastructure is in place,” he added, “including the memorial pools where Towers One and Two once stood.”

Tower One is now 54 stories high, about halfway done by Braithwaite’s estimate. About 100 trees have been planted throughout the memorial pavilion. The waterfall in commemoration of those killed on 9/11 began running in one the fountains last October and the second fountain is expected to start flowing sometime in late February or early March.

Both One and Four World Trade Center are set to be completed by the end of 2013 or beginning of 2014.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 12:00 AM
Frigidus Maximus

None of the recent newspaper articles about the site even mentioned the possibility of a WTC 5 tower. Is there still official talk about the possibility of expanding the WTC complex, or will whatever gets built no longer be considered part of the Center?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 12:06 AM

Does anyone know what they're planning directly east of 5WTC ?? A park?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 12:17 AM

The Church which was destroyed on 9/11 (St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church). Correct me people if I am wrong.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
None of the recent newspaper articles about the site even mentioned the possibility of a WTC 5 tower. Is there still official talk about the possibility of expanding the WTC complex, or will whatever gets built no longer be considered part of the Center?
You mean this Tower 5?

http://ny.curbed.com/tags/tower-5

Who knows at this point. There was a lot of talk of giving the site over to a private developer, for possibly a hotel. I think the church opted out of building there as well.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Propose this tower anywhere else in Manhattan, and it's a decent sized addition. It gets lost in the excitement of rebuilding, but we'll have to see what eventually goes here.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...er=rss&emc=rss

Ten Years After 9/11, Deutsche Bank Tower Vanishes

By DAVID W. DUNLAP
January 12, 2010

January 11, 2011

Wow! I didn't realize know that. I did not see Germany Banks right next to WTC. Is they are already demolitions? How much the times when they will started constructions new towers?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 1:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Last page:

Quote:
The Port Authority will take over the site after deconstruction is complete, and use it as a staging area for the vehicle security center being built beneath the trade center. As to future development, the authority said in a statement: “Whether it is office, retail, hotel, residential or some mix of those uses, that development should be market driven to ensure its highest and best use.”
The Port Authority has said they don't want to wait to develop the site. It will be a tower, they just haven't decided on exactly what form it will take.

Quote:
http://dnainfo.com/20100625/manhatta...-deutsche-site

Port Authority Chief Doesn't Want to Wait a Decade to Develop Deutsche Site

June 25, 2010
By Julie Shapiro

A mixed-used skyscraper that provides residential living and shops, along with office space, should rise on the site of the Deutsche Bank building, Port Authority executive director Chris Ward said Friday morning.

Speaking a day after outgoing deputy mayor Rober Lieber said the Deutsche site should remain a hole in the ground for a decade while the office market recovers, the Port Authority chief said he saw no reason to wait to build Tower 5.

“We’re going to have to be flexible and creative downtown,” Ward told DNAinfo. “Let’s keep our options open to create the best possible project.”

Ward was responding to Dep. Mayor Robert Lieber’s statement on Thursday that the site for World Trade Center Tower 5 could stay vacant for the next decade, until the real estate market demands additional office space there.

Ward, though, said he envisioned that Tower 5 could follow in the footsteps of the Time Warner Center, which contains offices, condos, a hotel and retail space.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 12:37 PM

Exclamation Demolition Of Former Deutsche Bank Building Wraps Up Today

A Positive Milestone:
Demolition Of Former Deutsche Bank Building Wraps Up Today

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...today?ap=1&MP4

Quote:
The long-awaited demolition of the former Deutsche Bank Building in Lower Manhattan will finally come to an end later this morning.

The 41-story building was heavily damaged in the September 11th attacks.

It stood opposite the World Trade Center on Liberty Street.

The building was further damaged in 2007 when a fire tore through several floors of the building, killing two firemen.

The Port Authority will take over the site, which will eventually be used as a staging area for vehicle security sweeps.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 2:20 PM
don't *meddle*...

with the deutsche bank building finally gone, it's time for a new tower- how about an austrian bank building this time?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 4:12 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

If there was anything at the WTC site that took far too longer to complete, it would be the Deutsche Bank Building's demolition. Glad to finally see it gone, further signs of the ongoing progress.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 5:10 PM

Thumbs up

And it's outta here. Out of the ballpark! - Cheers!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 10:05 PM
BANNED

Can we get a picture? I won't believe it until I see it!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 10:14 PM
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
Now we can begin rebuilding the site. But im no fan of the presented tower 5 design.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 6:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
Well, its gone, but in true form, not quite.

JANUARY 21, 2011

But at least it has opened up a view, and behold two new hotels have opened up just south of the WTC...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 6:30 PM
World Machine

I’m sure those hotels are very happy that this process is a thing in the past; though it’s weird to see that area opened up like that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals