HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 4:32 PM

Like the London "area" airports?! lol. Like London Stanstead and London Southend. 63 and 64km away from London respectively.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 4:41 PM

And it's easy to say it's in Milton because people know that city and it's right next door. And just feels so Milton-y. Everyone will know what you're talking about. Practically no one knows what the municaplity of Halton Hills is. That relates to a thread I made a few years ago about new city names formed by amalgamations and how Halton Hills was a very uninspiring choice, though that was decades ago. The region is called Halton and consists of Milton, Oakville, Burlington and Halton Hills (as in Halton Hills, Halton).

In retrospect, they should have picked a more unique name then people might have actually used that name. Residents and non-residents. The two population centres are Acton and Georgetown. Those people will always say they live in those two places. And I've talked to people who say they live in Ballinafad, Norval, Terra Cotta, etc. and not Halton Hills even though virtually no one knows of those hamlets.

If they picked a better name, people might actually use it like Cambridge, which was formed after mashing together Galt, Hespeler and Preston.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 4:54 PM

It should have just been Georgetown. Sucks for Acton but there are similar conditions elsewhere (Brooklin being in Whitby for example).

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 5:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
It should have just been Georgetown. Sucks for Acton but there are similar conditions elsewhere (Brooklin being in Whitby for example).
Hull being in Gatineau.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 5:28 PM
recession proof

I like Limehouse and Terra Cotta. When I think of Halton Hills, the beautiful semi rural routes through the trees comes to mind. Old Georgetown is nice; Acton seems like your typical grim small town Ontario. However, I've since come to realize the towns and rural routes between Port Hope and Peterborough are better.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 5:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I know the names Georgetown, Acton and Halton Hills, but not being from the area I always assumed the two first ones were their own municipalities.

I never thought they would have been part of the latter.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 7:46 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
the bowel of materialistic assholedom
That's quite Shakespearean!

The Merchants of Halton.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 7:56 PM

Quote:
That Milton Premium Outlet mall is truly one of the worst places in the known universe. It is the bowel of materialistic assholedom, and an absolute traffic nightmare.
I preferred it when it was farmland.

I say that the RCAF should use it as an aerial bombing practice target.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 10:36 PM

Passed yesterday on the 15 in front of this thread's star Laval's Résidences Soleil. The Réno-Dépôt in front of it is super visible too from the freeway.

I used to merely find that building ugly, now I absolutely can not pass near without immediately thinking of this forum and community. (Same thing happened when crossing the country on the TCH and seeing signs for Maple Creek.)

I wonder if Mr Savoie is aware that his building excels at something (i.e. is not just any building), and has thus built a following of internet fanboys. Probably not...

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 1:04 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I see the clockzilla all the time these days from A15 as one of my kids moved to Montréal this summer and it is on my route.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 1:09 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I see the clockzilla all the time these days from A15 as one of my kids moved to Montréal this summer and it is on my route.
Don't stare at it too long, lest you be turned into stone.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 2:29 AM
I am a typical

When you see Résidences Soleil, it also sees you.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 2:55 AM
Fake News

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 3:03 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Passed yesterday on the 15 in front of this thread's star Laval's Résidences Soleil. The Réno-Dépôt in front of it is super visible too from the freeway.

I used to merely find that building ugly, now I absolutely can not pass near without immediately thinking of this forum and community. (Same thing happened when crossing the country on the TCH and seeing signs for Maple Creek.)

I wonder if Mr Savoie is aware that his building excels at something (i.e. is not just any building), and has thus built a following of internet fanboys. Probably not...
I have only seen it from afar de L’Oratoire St. Joseph. Even from that great distance it was an imposing beast. Seeing Leonardozilla from the highway was like seeing Frank Stallone or Eric Roberts in real life. Not quite the big celebrity themselves but close.

What a truly deep observation about Eddy Savoie (honestly). The evil mad man who designed that abomination inadvertently helped bond a group of internet weirdos from across Canada. I feel like I could put aside all differences between us and any other forumer if we were to ever meet in person and have a laugh about Clockzilla.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
A fitting image for a place that is literally a gateway to the afterlife... with a stop at Reno-Depot first!

I feel like when I go on a family vacation through Montreal, I'll need to make a pilgrimage there. But then I'll have to figure out how to explain it to my wife ("Is this one of your internet things?")

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 2:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Reno-Depot is the rendering plant. A place where the knackers do business, before sending the remains to Eddy Savoie's mausoleum.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 2:43 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
A fitting image for a place that is literally a gateway to the afterlife... with a stop at Reno-Depot first!

I feel like when I go on a family vacation through Montreal, I'll need to make a pilgrimage there. But then I'll have to figure out how to explain it to my wife ("Is this one of your internet things?")
Indeed. It is from a cover from The Dark Tower series after all.

I had to beg my wife to take a picture of Leonardozilla for me as we drove by on the highway (I was driving). She knows about Clockzilla but still took some explaining.

Last edited by O-tacular; Sep 17, 2021 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 3:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Answering why people want to see such a horrible building in person is like answering why people rubberneck when there is a terrible car accident, or why people like horror movies.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 3:52 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Answering why people want to see such a horrible building in person is like answering why people rubberneck when there is a terrible car accident, or why people like horror movies.
My wife still doesn't understand why I like horror movies. Yet she watches every iteration of awful Real Housewives of (insert city here).

Last edited by O-tacular; Sep 18, 2021 at 2:39 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 2:37 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I'd like to see a battle with all of Eddy Savoie's offspring, ganging up on Mecclocky (who could be allied with Chavril, Missingsausage City Hall, The Venetian, Ches' diner, and those horrible tempos in Suburban Montreal).

.jean-pierrebusque

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada