HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 4:22 PM

Someone mentioned "black glass" - where do you see that? All the renderings I've seen have shown relatively transparent glass (or similar to what's used in Comcast1).

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R5Ryder View Post
Someone mentioned "black glass" - where do you see that? All the renderings I've seen have shown relatively transparent glass (or similar to what's used in Comcast1).
Maybe black wasn't how I should've described - but it's definitely darker than Comcast Center.

[IMG]IMG_1564 by screennameLLC, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled by screennameLLC, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R5Ryder View Post
Looks to me like perhaps the edges of the floor plates within each 3-floor pod will be faced with some type of dark or black material or glass on the exterior of the building, but that's the only dark or black I see. The rest appears to be either some sort of metallic material (the accents between each of the 3-floor pods, the diagonal lines on each end, etc.) or relatively clear glass.

Revisiting these original renderings and video this morning, I think the details of this building will be quite striking and stunning. In our inital reactions to the overall shape and height of the tower when it was first announced, the details may have been overlooked a bit.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Maybe black wasn't how I should've described - but it's definitely darker than Comcast Center.
I think that's because the glass on the Comcast Center has more of a mirrored finish, whereas the glass on CITC will be more transparent. At least that's the way it looks in the more detailed renderings I posted above earlier today, and you can also see that in the first photo of the models that you just posted.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Looks to me like perhaps the edges of the floor plates within each 3-floor pod will be faced with some type of dark or black material or glass on the exterior of the building, but that's the only dark or black I see. The rest appears to be either some sort of metallic material (the accents between each of the 3-floor pods, the diagonal lines on each end, etc.) or relatively clear glass.

Revisiting these original renderings and video this morning, I think the details of this building will be quite striking and stunning. In our inital reactions to the overall shape and height of the tower when it was first announced, the details may have been overlooked a bit.
Exactly what I've been thinking and also why I wanted to get a "street level perspective" shot from the "west" at the AIA yesterday. There's been a lot of hate directed towards this tower based on a few renderings (including some from me early on), but I think that's largely from those renderings not offering some of the better perspectives.

This tower is likely to be quite striking and a wonderful icon. Even the original Comcast Center turned out more attractive than its renderings (which made it look a bit fatter than it actually is.)

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 5:01 PM

I believe the West side observation elevators are serving the 4 Seasons Hotel exclusively. The main banks of elevators should be buried in the core. If you are going to the 4 seasons to stay or eat, enjoy the view or face forward.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 5:01 PM

Well, it’s not graceful like Salesforce or Wilshire Grand which I think is where the criticism come in. But I think it will be impressive when complete – functionally, it will be quite unique especially when compared to the other supertalls.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Well, it’s not graceful like Salesforce or Wilshire Grand which I think is where the criticism come in. But I think it will be impressive when complete – functionally, it will be quite unique especially when compared to the other supertalls.
..but what makes those two tower "graceful" and not this? in your opinion

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 5:34 PM
Philly Rising Up!

"Graceful" is very subjective. This is Sir Norman Foster who's architectural portfolio spans the globe. Love or hate him or his works. Philly is very fortunate by way of Comcast to get CITC. We will also being getting a second building by him by way of Penn. At 80, I hope he goes strong for more decades to come. Respect!

Have not seen this scale model before. Love it.

see link:
https://instagram.com/p/4hAnDZMPeW/?...jasonknightpix

Credit: Jason Knight

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 6:10 PM

Got bored ... here's some more of the mock up from today ...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Got bored ... here's some more of the mock up from today ...
These photos make the glass look significantly more tinted than it does in the renderings. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what it looks like in mass quantities on the tower itself.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
"Graceful" is very subjective. This is Sir Norman Foster who's architectural portfolio spans the globe. Love or hate him or his works. Philly is very fortunate by way of Comcast to get CITC. We will also being getting a second building by him by way of Penn. At 80, I hope he goes strong for more decades to come. Respect!

Have not seen this scale model before. Love it.

see link:
https://instagram.com/p/4hAnDZMPeW/?...jasonknightpix

Credit: Jason Knight
lol - that's me - see my post on previous page (and/or sig)
Yeah, that's the only scale model I've seen that you can touch and photo from any angle (the darker gray, "true color" model posted recently is also at 1218 Arch St, but you can't access it behind the glass.

I specifically went there yesterday to get that angle because I think the tower will actually be rather graceful, particularly from a western, ground-level vantage point. Its east and west elevations are quite slender.

Last edited by Late1; Jun 29, 2015 at 7:25 PM. Reason: I wasn't actually laughing that hard.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 7:34 PM

I think I am going to like that building. Good on Philly. You guys are on fahr.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
They got it right with One and Two Liberty and others but the two Comcast buildings not so much
I was with you until Two Liberty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
Philly is my fourth favorite US city after NY, SF, and DC, but Let's get real.
I was with you until DC.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 9:33 PM

"The height change is simply for mechanical equipment in the lantern. Its not like Comcast/Liberty decided they want an additional 20 ft. But to my knowledge since I am on the construction team is that it will rise 1145' at 60 stories (not 59). It could change, but as of my information that is the current proposal."

This was posted about a week ago on the Philly 2035 page on City Data.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 9:41 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
"The height change is simply for mechanical equipment in the lantern. Its not like Comcast/Liberty decided they want an additional 20 ft. But to my knowledge since I am on the construction team is that it will rise 1145' at 60 stories (not 59). It could change, but as of my information that is the current proposal."

This was posted about a week ago on the Philly 2035 page on City Data.
Boom...off goes the dynamite. There's been speculation about this without confirmed sources. We will count you as a confirmed reliable source. Hell, if you could be persuasive to those responsible for the height change and ask them to raise it 5 more floors for bragging rights...LOL!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
I think that's because the glass on the Comcast Center has more of a mirrored finish, whereas the glass on CITC will be more transparent. At least that's the way it looks in the more detailed renderings I posted above earlier today, and you can also see that in the first photo of the models that you just posted.
If there is one thing renderings are awful at, it is what a buildings glass will look like.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Boom...off goes the dynamite. There's been speculation about this without confirmed sources. We will count you as a confirmed reliable source.
No, this is the same guy who started this rumor. While he seems credible and has a lot of posts on that forum, he is literally the only one on the entire interwebs talking about an 1145' height. The rest of the world (including the architect himself) say 1121'.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 2:54 AM
resu deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
This tower looks terrible from the side. The spire does not have a good profile.
kinda thinkin this picture is not a good picture to judge the building by seeing as both citc and cc are respresented without their facades

[IMG]https://flic.kr/p/tQYUc7]

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
No, this is the same guy who started this rumor. While he seems credible and has a lot of posts on that forum, he is literally the only one on the entire interwebs talking about an 1145' height. The rest of the world (including the architect himself) say 1121'.
Yeah but Plokoon seemed like he talked to someone who reitterated the fact.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture