HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 9:19 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I think we can all be thankful that Newfoundland does not currently have a CFL team.
That is the most terrifying thing I have heard all day.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 10:04 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

IceCaps are having then Anthem Auditions for next season now.

If you know how to sing the Ode to New Founde Land (home opener/playoffs), O Canada, and Star Spangled Banner, give it a go.

Video Link

http://www.stjohnsicecaps.com/articl...day-sept-20th/

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Well favorite is a word I would use very loosely.

I think the more proper word would be default team.

If you follow the raptors and BJs your use to viewing toronto as your home team, even when its another sport.

This obviously applies to casual fans but its likely its a rather large number.
Why do people automatically think that we Canadians should cheer for the Raptors or Blue Jays? Just because they are in Toronto? Screw that. The teams are full of foreigners.
I'll cheer for the Twins, Rockies or Mariners (since they are closer to where I live) before I will ever cheer for the Blue Jays.
As for the Raps, well I don't care about the NBA.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I doubt that has been the case since Doug Flutie played there, or maybe even Rocket Ismail. These days they are mostly pitied. I'd wager that the Riders are the most disliked team, while also being the most liked team... they're sort of like the Yankees, you either love'em or you hate'em.
Amen

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 12:06 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
That is the most terrifying thing I have heard all day.

99% of Newfoundlanders have likely never been to a football game in their life, let alone played the game. We'd have more luck putting a team almost anywhere else.

Regarding diaspora, when the Maritimes finally get a team I wouldn't be surprised to see supporters show up at CFL stadia nationwide. There's a reason the Maritime population hasn't budged in 30 years, thousands left and are scattered all over Canada. There are definitely more Maritimers outside of the Maritimes than there are Saskatchewanians (is that a word?) outside Saskatchewan.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are 200,000 Maritimers in Toronto alone.

Last edited by isaidso; Aug 22, 2014 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 12:19 AM

MLSE looking for new CEO after Leiweke confirms plans to leave
Gregory Strong TORONTO - The Canadian Press August 21, 2014

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment has cleared up the uncertainty surrounding president and chief executive officer Tim Leiweke’s long-term future with the company.

He will stay in the position until June 30, 2015 or until a new CEO is found, MLSE said Thursday in a statement.

“Under Tim’s leadership, MLSE has made a number of key moves to strengthen our organization on the path to championship success,” said MLSE chairman Larry Tanenbaum. “We look forward to working closely with Tim to build on this foundation and further accelerate our momentum as we seek a new leader for MLSE.”

The Toronto-based sports organization counts the NHL’s Maple Leafs, NBA’s Raptors, AHL’s Marlies and Toronto FC of Major League Soccer among its properties. The search for Leiweke’s successor is underway, MLSE said in the statement.

Leiweke’s future with MLSE has been a hot topic this week after a report indicated he would “soon” be leaving the company. He denied the report, called the rumours a distraction and said he was focused on the teams’ current and upcoming seasons.

However, Leiweke, who joined MLSE in April 2013 and is reportedly under contract for five years, did not reveal his long-term plans. He also did not say how long he wanted to stay in the position.

That became much more clear Thursday morning when MLSE issued a five-paragraph statement. Once he leaves, the longtime sports executive plans to pursue his goal of owning and operating his own business.

“It’s an honour to lead MLSE, a world-class organization in a city and a country so passionate about sports,” he said. “But with new opportunities on the horizon, it’s time for me to begin the transition from sports and entertainment executive to entrepreneur.

“Right now, my total focus is here at MLSE and I look forward to working with the Board and MLSE team to continue strengthening our franchises while ensuring a smooth transition to a new leader.”

Until his successor is found, the company will continue to operate with its current executive management structure.

The statement did not say whether Leiweke’s successor would also assume his title of president. A decision on that would be made at a later date, an MLSE spokesperson said in an email.

“I’ve always told everyone I’m not here forever,” Leiweke said Wednesday during a brief media availability at the Air Canada Centre galleria. “My job is to change the culture and get it headed in the right direction.”

Leiweke has helped guide dramatic change at all levels during his 16 months at the helm.

In May of last year, he lured NBA executive of the year Masai Ujiri away from the Denver Nuggets. Two months later, he restructured the senior management team at MLSE.

Leiweke then turned his attention to Toronto FC, firing president and general manager Kevin Payne and later hiring Tim Bezbatchenko as GM.

On the NBA front, the Raptors announced plans for a two-year rebranding effort last fall, named local rapper Drake as their global ambassador and Toronto landed the 2016 NBA all-star game.

Toronto FC underwent a roster makeover over the winter, landing Jermain Defoe, Gilberto and Michael Bradley while bringing back former league MVP Dwayne De Rosario. In April, the Maple Leafs brought in former star player Brendan Shanahan to oversee all team operations as club president and alternate governor.

The teams have had mixed results under Leiweke’s watch.

The Maple Leafs missed the playoffs last spring but the Raptors claimed the Atlantic Division title and returned to the post-season for the first time in six years. Toronto FC, meanwhile, is in third place in the Eastern Conference standings and could make the playoffs.

Leiweke’s pro sports business career has spanned over 30 years. He previously worked as president and CEO of AEG, which owns the NHL’s Los Angeles Kings, NBA’s Lakers and the Galaxy of MLS.

He joined the Kings as president in 1996 and became president and CEO of AEG Worldwide in 2001. Leiweke also previously served as president and CEO of U.S. Skiing and has worked for the NBA’s Nuggets and Minnesota Timberwolves as well as the St. Louis Steamers of the Major Indoor Soccer League.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 1:11 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Why is a Newfoundland team terrifying? Is it because I'd be all over it, or something else I don't get?

Yeah, football isn't big here. The Roughriders have a group of local supporters who moved here from Saskatchewan. They host parties and things like that.

When I lived in Winnipeg, my father was over the moon to go to a Blue Bombers (that's the name right?) game just to experience it. He said once was enough.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 5:48 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Why is a Newfoundland team terrifying? Is it because I'd be all over it, or something else I don't get?

Yeah, football isn't big here. The Roughriders have a group of local supporters who moved here from Saskatchewan. They host parties and things like that.

When I lived in Winnipeg, my father was over the moon to go to a Blue Bombers (that's the name right?) game just to experience it. He said once was enough.
The comment followed someone's "economic refugee" comment about Saskatchewanians. Newfoundlanders would be similar to Saskatchewanians in that they wouldn't conform and cheer for the local team, they'd keep their own. And as we know, like with Saskatchewanians, there are a lot of Newfoundlanders spread all over the country. So there would be much away support at games.

I really should have shorted to Saskies and Newfies. Waaay too long.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 10:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Why do people automatically think that we Canadians should cheer for the Raptors or Blue Jays? Just because they are in Toronto? Screw that. The teams are full of foreigners.
I'll cheer for the Twins, Rockies or Mariners (since they are closer to where I live) before I will ever cheer for the Blue Jays.
As for the Raps, well I don't care about the NBA.
Because these franchises all enforce media blackouts.

Its really that simple.

You have to look at the number of people that fall under torontos areas its bloody huge depending on the sport.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 11:08 AM
BANNED

I’m predicting that they’ll hire Mark Cohon. I think denial just isn’t paying the bills anymore*, and I suspect that they’re looking for someone they think can bring in Canadian viewers. What sports do Canadians watch? NHL, CFL, Curling. MLB has been doing a bit better recently, but I wonder how much of that is in Toronto. I think they’ll hire Cohon hoping he can use his experience with the CFL to get Canadians to watch the Raptors and TFC. Whoever this Leiweke guy was I certainly didn't pay any attention to him.

*I had no idea how much TFC sunk into their new players, and they had a game recently that drew 22,000 viewers! They must be hemorrhaging money like crazy.
http://www.thestar.com/business/2014...d_in_kind.html

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 11:25 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
The comment followed someone's "economic refugee" comment about Saskatchewanians. Newfoundlanders would be similar to Saskatchewanians in that they wouldn't conform and cheer for the local team, they'd keep their own. And as we know, like with Saskatchewanians, there are a lot of Newfoundlanders spread all over the country. So there would be much away support at games.

Thanks. And, yeah, true. We have enough of us in most CFL cities.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 12:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan83 View Post
I’m predicting that they’ll hire Mark Cohon. I think denial just isn’t paying the bills anymore*, and I suspect that they’re looking for someone they think can bring in Canadian viewers. What sports do Canadians watch? NHL, CFL, Curling. MLB has been doing a bit better recently, but I wonder how much of that is in Toronto. I think they’ll hire Cohon hoping he can use his experience with the CFL to get Canadians to watch the Raptors and TFC. Whoever this Leiweke guy was I certainly didn't pay any attention to him.

*I had no idea how much TFC sunk into their new players, and they had a game recently that drew 22,000 viewers! They must be hemorrhaging money like crazy.
http://www.thestar.com/business/2014...d_in_kind.html
I think you have to appreciate how bad they were last season. Its basically forced a boycott of the whole thing.

Aside from that I have no idea what peoples practical expectations for TFC are.

There is major competition from across the pond.

The demographic is not at all typical of TV watchers.

There is a complete lack of a watching tradition, erratic television scheduling in a sport where context is super important.

Aside from that, I dont think there are any illusions that MLS is a complete product. Its an in the works venture which is why its so interesting.

No other league is growing as fast, not just in franchises but in the talent they are developing.

The league truly started at zero.

Its very much a minor league at the moment, building the foundations for something huge.

In a generation it is very much expected to be one of the top leagues on the planet.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 12:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I think you have to appreciate how bad they were last season. Its basically forced a boycott of the whole thing.

Aside from that I have no idea what peoples practical expectations for TFC are.

There is major competition from across the pond.

The demographic is not at all typical of TV watchers.

There is a complete lack of a watching tradition, erratic television scheduling in a sport where context is super important.

Aside from that, I dont think there are any illusions that MLS is a complete product. Its an in the works venture which is why its so interesting.

No other league is growing as fast, not just in franchises but in the talent they are developing.

The league truly started at zero.

Its very much a minor league at the moment, building the foundations for something huge.

In a generation it is very much expected to be one of the top leagues on the planet.
I’m guessing a lot of that is what they told themselves when they brought in Dafoe and Bradley. Did you have a look at that Star article and see how much the spent on those two? When you spend that kind of money you expect people to watch, and advertisers to pay you good money to advertise. Given TFC’s poor ratings, one game as low as 22,000, I’m guessing that’s not happening. When you have tens of millions going out, and very little coming in, I think something has to change.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 12:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I’m guessing a lot of that is what they told themselves when they brought in Dafoe and Bradley. Did you have a look at that Star article and see how much the spent on those two? When you spend that kind of money you expect people to watch, and advertisers to pay you good money to advertise. Given TFC’s poor ratings, one game as low as 22,000, I’m guessing that’s not happening. When you have tens of millions going out, and very little coming in, I think something has to change.
You cant buy an audience back in one season.

TFC is the number two market in the league. Not winning the eastern conference each year, by itself is shameful.

There really is no excuse for MLSE. We gave em a chance and they took us for granted.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 12:58 PM

Bills offers, according to Forbes: Terry Pegula ($890M), Bon Jovi/MLSE ($820M), Trump ($809M)

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 1:02 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
I don't know where you're getting this idea that TFC are bleeding mucho dinero, it's very much a recent phenomenon and only a couple million in losses from a 30 million dollar payroll...they've been profitable most of their existence, even when they sucked. With gate revenue, merchandise revenue and TV dollars (as minimal as that used to be), they were making more profit than most teams. That was part of the problem! It's only after the fans rose up in protest that MLSE pushed the number crunchers out of the way and brought in people who refocused the group towards investing in growth rather than squeezing dollars out of the franchise. Now even with these new investments, it will have the butts in seats to make it profitable next year when they have the larger stadium. They wouldn't have had that momentum and buy-in from their fans if they didn't invest in quality players. Once the new TV deal kicks in (effectively tripling television revenue over the next 8 years) and as the fan base continues to grow, I fully expect even bigger signings of talent in another year or two. The very accurate TFC blog rumour mills had even spoken about another star signing on the defensive end as soon as this coming off-season should MLS allow for an additional designated player during contract talks.

Which reminds me, one of the reasons TFC and the Raptors are progressing with their turnaround strategy is because TFC fans were quite vocal and direct. Perhaps that is what it will take for the Leafs to turn things around, fan boycotts and direct message campaigns to the management. I heard TFC fans even interrupted executives eating at their own sports bar to give them an earful

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 1:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
I don't know where you're getting this idea that TFC are bleeding mucho dinero...they've been profitable most of their existence, even when they sucked. With gate revenue, merchandise revenue and TV dollars (as minimal as that used to be), they were making more profit than most teams. That was part of the problem! It's only after the fans rose up in protest that MLSE pushed the number crunchers out of the way and brought in people who refocused the group towards investing in growth rather than squeezing dollars out of the franchise. Now even with these new investments, it will have the butts in seats to make it profitable next year when they have the larger stadium. They wouldn't have had that momentum and buy-in from their fans if they didn't invest in quality players. Once the new TV deal kicks in (effectively tripling television revenue over the next 8 years) and as the fan base continues to grow, I fully expect even bigger signings of talent in another year or two. The very accurate TFC blog rumour mills had even spoken about another star signing on the defensive end as soon as this coming off-season should MLS allow for an additional designated player during contract talks.
Doesn't TFC get at least some money from all those billions of eyeballs streaming their games on the net? (Serious question, even if it was not posed that way.)

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 1:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Doesn't TFC get at least some money from all those billions of eyeballs streaming their games on the net? (Serious question, even if it was not posed that way.)
From my understanding it wasnt that long ago that MLS was paying for television time. I think part of the reason the viewing numbers are low is that is wasnt even considered a primary source of revenue.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post

Of course, the subtext that SHH needs to know is that Sask fans are generally bursting with pride over their province and team, which might not seem like a bad thing at first but it can become insufferable to fans of other teams after a while.

However, as someone with no love for the Riders, I concede that the impressive support that Sask gives their team is an excellent boost to the province's image.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 1:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
From my understanding it wasnt that long ago that MLS was paying for television time. I think part of the reason the viewing numbers are low is that is wasnt even considered a primary source of revenue.
But surely there are ads on the screen when games are streamed, and so they get some revenue from that?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada