HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 5:22 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Even more over the top than we expected

What is this? A particle accelerator?

I think it’s some platform akin to the vessel in Manhattan. Earlier renderings had people on the roof.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 9:06 PM

Looks like the new apple corporate headquarters in Cupertino lol

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 7:31 PM

does anyone know anything new on the Cesar hotel near fashion square?
look like they might not build it at all

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 2:15 PM

New Hilton proposal for Cavasson. Nice modern aesthetic and I appreciate its footprint sits along Hayden and the entry way into the development!

https://eservices.scottsdaleaz.gov/p..._5_DR_2020.pdf

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix22 View Post
Been wondering whats up with that lot myself.

What makes you think they're not going to build it?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 11:49 PM

Caesars Republic hotel breaks ground in Scottsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutayo View Post
Been wondering whats up with that lot myself.

What makes you think they're not going to build it?
Patience my young grasshoppers...

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/c...in-scottsdale/

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 11:54 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
11 floors. Scottsdale is quietly raising the bar...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
11 floors. Scottsdale is quietly raising the bar...
150 FT tall is the new height limit for downtown Scottsdale. Of course, Southbridge aims to take advantage of that (and a few other projects) - and you should have seen all the 'outrage' (by 3 people on Nextdoor) over this. To the point where they got signatures to reverse the approval of Southbridge on the fall ballot. I've not heard if they got enough signatures (they claim they did - but they were being verified last I read). I am too new to Scottsdale to have enough of a sense if its on the ballot if it'd actually pass or not.

The ballot initiative won't halt future projects up to the height limit - the initiative foolishly doesn't address that - just this specific project. Which the builder said he'd lower to 4 stories and 'value engineer' it if the initiative passes. So they'll lose a chunk of old town to some shitty stuff, instead of some really nice stuff as proposed.

Some people have no vision and are stuck in the past. Approximately the 1950s.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 5:37 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
150 FT tall is the new height limit for downtown Scottsdale. Of course, Southbridge aims to take advantage of that (and a few other projects) - and you should have seen all the 'outrage' (by 3 people on Nextdoor) over this. To the point where they got signatures to reverse the approval of Southbridge on the fall ballot. I've not heard if they got enough signatures (they claim they did - but they were being verified last I read). I am too new to Scottsdale to have enough of a sense if its on the ballot if it'd actually pass or not.

The ballot initiative won't halt future projects up to the height limit - the initiative foolishly doesn't address that - just this specific project. Which the builder said he'd lower to 4 stories and 'value engineer' it if the initiative passes. So they'll lose a chunk of old town to some shitty stuff, instead of some really nice stuff as proposed.

Some people have no vision and are stuck in the past. Approximately the 1950s.
I've got to admit, I like all the shops and historical feel of Old Town Scottsdale and the 5th Ave shops area. With that said, I also understand the need to build new and to densify the area to remain competitive for the future. Scottsdale cannot rely on these tourists shops forever and the revenue Scottsdale receives from these shops is greatly less than what developments such as Southbridge could do for Scottsdale. The Phoenix Metro as a whole is becoming less and less of a "Wild West" tourist destination and becoming more of a big city tourist destination. Scottsdale is no exception and needs to adapt if it wants to stay competitive with Phoenix and Tempe.

Hopefully, they will get on the mass transit bandwagon some day.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 5:47 PM
Skyriser

150 feet isn't the new height limit by any standard. AmTrust Bank Tower set that standard many years ago and Waterfront renewed it.

Any developer in the know knows not to push it, and it's really allowed in the central core around the mall. Scottsdale has such piss poor, out of date, ad hoc zoning downtown and elsewhere they may as well be in California.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I've got to admit, I like all the shops and historical feel of Old Town Scottsdale and the 5th Ave shops area. With that said, I also understand the need to build new and to densify the area to remain competitive for the future. Scottsdale cannot rely on these tourists shops forever and the revenue Scottsdale receives from these shops is greatly less than what developments such as Southbridge could do for Scottsdale. The Phoenix Metro as a whole is becoming less and less of a "Wild West" tourist destination and becoming more of a big city tourist destination. Scottsdale is no exception and needs to adapt if it wants to stay competitive with Phoenix and Tempe.

Hopefully, they will get on the mass transit bandwagon some day.
I think there are plenty of old historic shops and buildings in the area that you can develop quite a bit of newer and denser construction and have a really good balance.

I wonder how they convinced people in that area to support the free trolley when they are so against paying for mass transit there.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I think it’s some platform akin to the vessel in Manhattan. Earlier renderings had people on the roof.
It looks similar to the Phoenician but a full circle so I guess it could potentially be a resort.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 12:28 AM

Scottsdale Airpark/Kierland/Desert Ridge Crane Count

There are now 5 'tower' cranes in the NE valley you can spy off the 101. The latest is the tower crane for the expanded campus work at Mayo. Then there's a new 4th crane spied near Kierland where the Optima towers are going up. It could be for a new tower starting (and one looks like it will probably come down in a few weeks). A pleasant surprise to see the new additions today.

Cavasson appears to be setting up foundations for more buildings on site facing the 101.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
150 feet isn't the new height limit by any standard. AmTrust Bank Tower set that standard many years ago and Waterfront renewed it.

Any developer in the know knows not to push it, and it's really allowed in the central core around the mall. Scottsdale has such piss poor, out of date, ad hoc zoning downtown and elsewhere they may as well be in California.
Not quite:

"The council would later approve a new Old Town Scottsdale Character Area Plan in 2018 that created Type 3 zoning areas with heights up to 150 feet in certain areas of downtown Scottsdale, including the Marquee site."

https://www.scottsdale.org/city_news...ccb7454ea.html

This includes the Southbridge site as well as the other towers going up south by the museums (forget the name of the project - it was multiple towers @150ft) which breaks ground this summer.

It used to be the case as you suggested - recently this changed. And that's part of what triggered people to get something on the ballot against Southbridge. But if they manage to cap off Southbridge it won't stop the other projects - so I fail to see the whole point of it (other than old people being pissed off its not the 1950s anymore).

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 1:44 AM

A second Mayo tower crane should be erected this weekend for the East Expansion, with two more tower cranes following later this year for the West Expansion. Mayo will have 4 tower cranes in total by the end of this year.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 3:05 PM
Modulator

Quote:
other than old people being pissed off its not the 1950s anymore.
That's exactly it. Boomers not letting the past go. It's inevitable and a losing battle as Phoenix, Tempe and Scottsdale (and the rest of the metro) densify.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAZ View Post
A second Mayo tower crane should be erected this weekend for the East Expansion, with two more tower cranes following later this year for the West Expansion. Mayo will have 4 tower cranes in total by the end of this year.
Any more details on the project? I heard it was coming a couple years back - but not seen any recent renderings.

btw - looked like a mobile crane was onsite today - prepping for the 2nd tower crane?

I suppose there could be a nice 'tower canyon' along the L101 if that ever developed vertically - from Hayden to Tatum. I doubt we'd see seriously tall buildings there - but a bunch of 10-15 story buildings would make things interesting. As it stands all the 6 story apartment buildings up there are having somewhat of an impact. (Can't imagine taking a unit overlooking the 101 though)

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Any more details on the project? I heard it was coming a couple years back - but not seen any recent renderings.
The East Clinic building is being expanded vertically from 3 to 7 stories with opportunity to expand higher in the future, and the West is a new 6 story patient tower directly adjacent to the existing tower. They are also building a couple other smaller buildings, some parking garages and numerous site improvements.

The other crane is just for numerous other activities, the other East tower crane should go in this weekend.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 10:28 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Not quite:

"The council would later approve a new Old Town Scottsdale Character Area Plan in 2018 that created Type 3 zoning areas with heights up to 150 feet in certain areas of downtown Scottsdale, including the Marquee site."

https://www.scottsdale.org/city_news...ccb7454ea.html

This includes the Southbridge site as well as the other towers going up south by the museums (forget the name of the project - it was multiple towers @150ft) which breaks ground this summer.

It used to be the case as you suggested - recently this changed. And that's part of what triggered people to get something on the ballot against Southbridge. But if they manage to cap off Southbridge it won't stop the other projects - so I fail to see the whole point of it (other than old people being pissed off its not the 1950s anymore).
I appreciate the corrections, it seems the article I read about a recent battle was incorrect on that issue and I had seen fights about it. I don't really follow Scottsdale goings on.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 10:31 PM
Skyriser

Quote:

btw - looked like a mobile crane was onsite today - prepping for the 2nd tower crane?

I suppose there could be a nice 'tower canyon' along the L101 if that ever developed vertically - from Hayden to Tatum. I doubt we'd see seriously tall buildings there - but a bunch of 10-15 story buildings would make things interesting. As it stands all the 6 story apartment buildings up there are having somewhat of an impact. (Can't imagine taking a unit overlooking the 101 though)
https://cdn.prod-carehubs.net/n1/802...-expansion.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest