HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 8:49 PM
World Traveler

I saw that also. It does seem like a pipe dream in a lot of ways...but who knows? I wonder if something like this (not just the airport, but the rest of it), makes more sense down by COTA. Not my dream to make or break, of course.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I saw that also. It does seem like a pipe dream in a lot of ways...but who knows? I wonder if something like this (not just the airport, but the rest of it), makes more sense down by COTA. Not my dream to make or break, of course.
Agreed on the pipe dream stuff, though everything with the airport seems much further along than it rightly should be. Even some of the people they interview in the article make a point of saying "Dude's a dreamer, but this time seems different."

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 11:30 PM

That’s a bunch of bs.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 4:06 PM
World Traveler

So freeover is in the pipe dream camp as well.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 4:28 PM
Member since 2001

Fortune favors the bold...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 4:46 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Ran across a statistic a few days back that showed transit ridership way down. not sure where this was, New York perhaps, but the point was its difficult to fund these public works when ridership is down. they have big fixed cost budgets. the stat more or less tracked downtown office habitation. moral of the story, wanna work from home, delete the trains. that's about all I took away from it, didn't really bother to look into it further. Our redline here in Austin is a nice train, but when you get on some of the trains around this country, it can be downright scary. especially if you are a women. that could also be a source of lower ridership.
Denver actually just nixed two light rail routes completely that ran from downtown south through DTC and combined them with another existing route due to extremely low ridership. RTD is struggling to just to find competent leadership. Our A line out to the airport from downtown is basically the only line that sees consistently high ridership.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Denver actually just nixed two light rail routes completely that ran from downtown south through DTC and combined them with another existing route due to extremely low ridership. RTD is struggling to just to find competent leadership. Our A line out to the airport from downtown is basically the only line that sees consistently high ridership.
I agree the A Line seems to be the most solid offering in Denver, trains have been busy every time I have ridden it from Union Station to/from the Airport. They are clean and actually seem to be used by travelers and airport employees. I've also ridden the W line light rail multiple times and that one just seems like a meth head transport. Dirty trains and an all around awkward experience.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 4:38 PM

I-35 EXPANSION PROJECT
Austin City Council seeks changes to I-35 expansion proposal

https://www.kxan.com/traffic/traffic...sion-proposal/

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 4:46 PM

Austin Public Works Begins Construction of Zilker Park Multimodal Access Improvements

Quote:
Austin (Travis County) — Austin Public Works recently kicked off construction of improvements to transform an intimidating .7-mile stretch of Barton Springs Road and Stratford Drive into a comfortable and walkable destination.

Once complete, these improvements will transform pedestrian, bicycle and transit access to Zilker Park, Zilker Botanical Garden and the Austin Nature and Science Center. The project includes:

Shared use paths along Barton Springs Road and Stratford Drive
A landscaped buffer between the shared use path and vehicular travel lanes along Barton Springs Road
Improvements to bus stops on both sides of Barton Springs Road including new concrete pads and benches
A pedestrian hybrid beacon and crosswalk across Barton Springs Road near the Zilker Botanical Garden entrance

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 10:51 PM

TxDOT: Austin has until fall 2024 to identify $350M in funds for ‘Cap and Stitch’ project

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...titch-project/

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 6:49 PM
World Traveler

Every person in the combined Austin and San Antonio metro areas pitch in a hundred bucks and we're good. Ok, I'm gonna go grab a beer.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 2:38 AM

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 9:04 PM

CapMetro Broadmoor Station not under construction, despite 2022 groundbreaking

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...roundbreaking/

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
CapMetro Broadmoor Station not under construction, despite 2022 groundbreaking

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...roundbreaking/
It's still insane to me that these red line stations cost so much and take so long to build. These things are pretty barebones, we aren't talking about subways here.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
It's still insane to me that these red line stations cost so much and take so long to build. These things are pretty barebones, we aren't talking about subways here.
They aren't subways, which is why they're so cheap

It's not just the station, it's the track. I believe both McKalla and Broadmoor are double-tracking at the same time as station construction. There's also the requirement to keep the existing train service (passenger and freight) running the (almost) whole time. And of course, everything new has to be brought up to modern standards, unlike the existing track which was originally laid down over a hundred years ago.

Plus I believe that listed 35M cost would also include the structured parking they're doing for the broadmoor station, and bus infrastructure as well (one reason this would be more expensive than McKalla).
"Construction of new rail station for Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority, to include additional track, infrastructure requirements, bus stop area, parking and platform."

Edit/add: turns out the stite plan for the broadmoor station is online at the city's ABC site. As mentioned in the story it's still making it's way through the process.

Up to 178 pages. Submitted more than a year ago. The issue is that our development regulations and planning department are out of control.

Last edited by Novacek; Mar 2, 2023 at 11:04 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 5:51 PM

Behind a 'messed up' process to pick Austin's next light-rail leader

https://www.kut.org/transportation/2...ht-rail-leader

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 4:41 PM

TxDOT to seize part of Waller Beach Park for I-35 construction

https://www.kut.org/transportation/2...5-construction

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 4:43 PM

From Nathan Bernier

https://twitter.com/KUTnathan/status...CwpaX_vaotAAAA

NEW: Republican state lawmakers filed bills today in the Texas House and Senate targeting Austin's Project Connect transit expansion. The bills would require a citywide election before the Austin Transit Partnership, which is building two light-rail lines, could issue debt.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 4:51 PM

Quote:
From Nathan Bernier

NEW: Republican state lawmakers filed bills today in the Texas House and Senate targeting Austin's Project Connect transit expansion. The bills would require a citywide election before the Austin Transit Partnership, which is building two light-rail lines, could issue debt.
They're counting on selfish Austin voters to vote down small phases of light rail bc it doesn't come to their part of town which is a sentiment we've seen even on this board. It's frustrating and represents a giant waste of time and money in the form of multiple more elections, lobby efforts, campaigns and delays waiting for the next high turnout election. Basically, it would mean having to have a proposal ready for voters on presidential election years and freezing design for about a year while you wait for the election process to play out. It's not like they can decide what they want to do in October and put it in the November election and start up in December.

Troxclair is just the worst.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 6:13 PM

Quote:
From Nathan Bernier

this is city is quickly becoming Houston 2.0. really sad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin