HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 11:38 PM

Sales website is up: http://1451wellington.ca/

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 5:13 PM

A very interesting story about Mr Mizrahi in the Globe & Mail from a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle30833853/

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 7:17 PM
Living With My Mother

~$750/foot including HST.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 12:26 AM

seems to be demolition of existing structure occurring!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
~$750/foot including HST.
Yikes!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Yikes!
That pretty much in line with Charlesfort's most recent buildings no?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 11:59 PM

Sales office under construction

Sure will be nice to see something better than the condo boxes that local builders construct in this city.

Despite previously reported media articles, looks like this project sales office will open soon.

--------------------------------

Developing Lifestyles: A one-on-one with Mizrahi Development's Sam Mizrahi

Marilyn Wilson, November 11, 2016, Ottawa Citizen

Visionary, detail-oriented and articulate are the three words I would use to describe Toronto-based Sam Mizrahi, owner of Mizrahi Developments.

On a recent trip to Toronto, I not only sat down with Mizrahi but also received a tour of his gorgeous 133 Hazelton development in Yorkville. This beautiful and luxurious building welcomes you with glass doors overlaid with wrought iron detailing, giving Parisian flair to a chic Toronto neighbourhood. The foyer continues the sense of elegant luxuriousness with soaring ceilings, wall-paneling and detailed marble flooring. The friendliest concierge you’ve ever met greets you and his passion for his job shines through; Mizrahi Developments administrates their own project managers and concierges, even beyond the building’s finish. The understated opulence of the lobby is not lost on Mizrahi who chose the paint colour based on its timelessness.

http://ottawacitizen.com/life/homes/...ts-sam-mizrahi

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 9:44 PM

Went to the launch today, they have a stunning sales centre. The building has some unique amenities like 24 hour concierge and valet parking, and a fitness centre with lap pool. Bella's bistro will be taking the ground floor and offering room service to the suites.

Suites range from 638 sq.ft one bedrooms to 3000+ sq.ft. 2 storey penthouses with rooftop gardens. Prices range from $498,000 to $3 million+ but they come with some outstanding standard finishes. As of 1pm today they had sold 7 units.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 12:31 AM
Living With My Mother

Finest presentation centre I've ever seen. At 14h00 today they told be about 10 units had been sold.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 2:03 AM
National Capital Region

video... sales office cost $1.5 million to build
http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?clipI...ylistPageNum=1

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 3:11 AM
National Capital Region

from today

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr872190 View Post
Went to the launch today, they have a stunning sales centre. The building has some unique amenities like 24 hour concierge and valet parking, and a fitness centre with lap pool.
I would bet money 24 Concierge and Valet parking won't last the full year of registration. Far too expensive for a 100 unit building. 24 Concierge alone could cost each unit close to $2000 a year. A few buildings in Ottawa have advertised these kind of features only to scale back when the Condo Corps are formed and look at the budgets.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
I would bet money 24 Concierge and Valet parking won't last the full year of registration. Far too expensive for a 100 unit building. 24 Concierge alone could cost each unit close to $2000 a year. A few buildings in Ottawa have advertised these kind of features only to scale back when the Condo Corps are formed and look at the budgets.
No I'm pretty sure the type of owners this building is catering to will happily take the cost of a concierge/valet. Condo fees are $0.89/sq.ft. That's $8500/year for an 800 square foot unit. Those will easily increase 15-20% after the first year.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 1:07 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

First look! Mizrahi opens $1.5-million gallery to give buyers a taste of life at Wellington and Island Park

BY Sarah Brown
POSTED March 14, 2017 9:16 am

In 2015, Toronto Life magazine dubbed him one of the top 50 most influential people in Toronto. At the time, developer Sam Mizrahi of Mizrahi Developments had just finalized plans to build The One (named after its address at One Bloor West), an 80-storey skyscraper that will be second in height only to the CN Tower.

Now Mizrahi is bringing his big ideas to Ottawa with 1451 Wellington West, a 12-storey condo project at Wellington and Island Park that has been five years in the making. The building has been through a couple of design incarnations, resulting in the Ontario Municipal Board granting “landmark” architecture status to the distinctive copper-topped condo.

Sam Mizrahi flew into Ottawa on Friday, just in time to open the $1.5-million sales gallery designed to show potential buyers the quality they can expect at the ultra-posh location. The gallery, which includes a living room, library, study, kitchen, and powder room, showcases the finishings and attention to detail Mizrahi hopes will woo luxury aficionados.

Ottawa Magazine caught up with Sam Mizrahi for a quick interview and tour of the gallery, which is now open to the public.

The Mizrahi name is well known in Toronto, but I hear you have an Ottawa connection.

I do. My wife was born and raised in Nepean. We’ve been married for 13 years and we travel here a lot to see my inlaws and family. So I saw this corner [at Wellington and Island Park] and saw that there was an opportunity to develop a really timeless building here — one that was very different to what I had seen here in the past.

So you immediately knew that you wanted to build something different?

We wanted to build something that was a landmark, a flagship. Something that was going to create timeless architecture on a very important corner in the city.

Island Park Drive is a very important road for so many reasons historically — it’s a key artery. And I also looked at Westboro and Wellington and this whole community, and saw how you could walk to the stores, to cafes, to restaurants, to the park. It’s a residential neighbourhood that gives you all of the amenities of an urban spot.

When did you put the wheels in motion?

It was five years ago or so that we bought the corner and collaborated with the community and began getting all of the approvals and permits from the city. You have to be a patient person. But now that we’re at this stage, we’re very proud of the building.

Tell me about presentation gallery. The press releases say you spent $1.5 million to build this ‘home’ so people could truly get a feel for how the spaces will look and the quality of the finishings.

We built the presentation gallery to give a real feel for what the actual building is going to look like. Everything you see here — the baseboards, the moldings, the trim carpentry, the flooring — is actually what will be in the building. So you can see it and say ‘this is it!’

I hear you have a waiting list of 200 buyers for the 95 units in the building. Why do you think interest is so high?

I think it’s a combination of a lot of different factors and ingredients that make this so attractive. The location speaks volumes; the architecture speaks volumes. It’s also about being able to customize your home, which is something that is normally not done in the condominium market.

What does that mean? Customization?

Anything you want. You have a magic wand. You can move any room to be wherever you want. You’re basically custom designing your home to your specifications without any limits. The designer will work with you to choose the finishes, the colours, the materials. It’s a custom home with five-star amenities. It’s like living in a five-star boutique hotel, except it’s your own home.

In an interview with Toronto Life magazine a couple of years ago, you admitted to being somewhat of a micromanager. What do you mean by that?

I pay attention to every single detail on every project. I’m here often. I micromanaged this building and the customized finishings.

You flew in just a day or so ahead of the grand opening. What do you think?

I love it. I’m very proud of it. Of course I have a whole list of details that I want work on before I go.

What do you want people to be saying about 1451 Wellington West in 20 or 30 years?

Wow! I want them to say ‘wow’. It’s timeless. What we’re looking for is a building that stands the test of time. So it will be as relevant 20 years from now as it is when it’s first built. I want it to be seen as relevant even if it was built 20 years ago. People always look to the future, but I want this building to be truly timeless — if a building is truly timeless, the ‘test of time’ doesn’t apply.

So when people see it, they don’t know if it was built 50 years ago or yesterday.

Exactly. Look at Paris and when the buildings were built and how relevant they remain today. And they’ll still be relevant 100 years from now. So we’re looking to build things that are relevant today, yesteryear, and tomorrow. They have a classic design. And that’s what makes something a landmark.

Tell me about the penthouses — the most glamorous homes in any condo.

There will be six. And they have these rooftop terrace gardens. They’re like private back gardens in the sky. You have the privacy and intimacy of a backyard in the sky.

Is 1451 Wellington West a singular project or are you eying other locations in Ottawa?

We’re always looking at opportunities where we can benefit the community.

Of course you must be pretty busy with your massive project in Toronto.

Yes, The One at Yonge and Bloor. Construction starts this summer and it will be the tallest building in Canada. It’ll be a five-year build. We’re very excited about that.

What’s your timeline here in Ottawa?

We’re looking at occupancy in 2020-2021 — four years from now. We’re quite excited about how it’s going to change the landscape in a very positive way. I’ll be here most weekends to watch it coming together.

http://ottawamagazine.com/homes/firs...d-island-park/

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 11:45 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Mizrahi builds 1451 Wellington condo with community consultation in Wellington West

S. Evelyn Cimesa, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: April 14, 2017 | Last Updated: April 15, 2017 10:59 AM EDT

When we encounter something beautiful, our response isn’t intellectual, it’s emotional. It could be a lively village square, a work of art or even a person. It holds our attention, makes us feel good and we know, at our core, that something is right.

Ottawa’s Wellington West area has this characteristic. It’s a vibrant village-like community at the edge of Westboro, layered with history and vitality. It’s as accessible to the wilderness of Gatineau Park as it is to the cultural attractions downtown. It’s in this neighbourhood that Mizrahi Developments is developing their luxury condominium building, 1451 Wellington, at the corner of Island Park Drive.

“When we went to redevelop this corner, we understood [its] importance,” said Sam Mizrahi, owner of Mizrahi Developments, a Toronto-based company. “We understood the importance of it being designated as a gateway site by the city of Ottawa, in specifically the Westboro area. And, we came in to do a design and a type of architecture that was going to have a very positive impact.”

Mizrahi Developments started discussing the project with the neighbours in 2013, before they had even purchased the site or submitted a planning application. The company spent months contacting neighbours and holding town hall meetings to give the locals an opportunity to voice their concerns and wishes for the development. Mizrahi says that this dialogue helped the developers to understand the condo’s impacts on the neighbourhood. Above all, they wanted to understand what the community wanted to see done with the space, and an adjacent piece of green space.

“We wanted to take that vision and take those elements and start to reverse engineer the building, the site plans, the parkette features and so forth and start to visualize and echo what we were hearing in the collaboration with the neighbours,” said Mizrahi.

The condo was given the go-ahead by the Ontario Municipal Board after a dispute over its height. Mizrahi came back with some tweaks that gave the building the “wow factor” the OMB was seeking for the corner, in exchange for its 12-storeys.

1451 Wellington West anchors one of the city’s most well-known intersections at Island Park Drive with an architectural statement that Mizrahi has designed to contribute to the thriving mix of green spaces, recreation, retail, public transportation and bike paths all within walking distance.

Mizrahi Developments has set out to redefine expectations for homeowners, starting with understanding the emotional investment people make when deciding on their new home. Residents of 1451 Wellington will be attended to with valet parking and a 24-hour concierge. The building will feature amenities such as hot tub, pool, entertainment suite and fitness retreat, as well as a car washing bay and the dog washing station in the parking garage.

1451 Wellington features 95 suites across its 12 storeys. Homeowners can pick between one-bedroom (578 – 686 square feet), one-bedroom plus den (681 – 841 square feet), two-bedroom (914 square feet) and two-bedroom plus den with two (710 – 1439 square feet) or three (1543 – 2475 square feet) bathrooms. Mizrahi Developments also offers the opportunity for homeowners to custom-design their own home with up to four bedrooms.

The suites themselves feature an abundance of distinctive details, such as tall French doors, eight-to-10 foot ceilings, classical architectural mouldings, 10-inch thick walls, heavy wooden doors and luxury fixtures for the kitchen and bathrooms. The STC (superior sound transmission class) windows muffle the noise of the outside world and offer panoramic views of the Ottawa River, Gatineau Hills or the residential neighbourhood.

Each home will come loaded with technology; homeowners can control temperature and ambient music and even view who’s at the front door using their mobile device. They’re also pre-wired with the CAT6 computer network state-of-the-art security system, which can communicate with the monitoring system of choice.

In addition to the building itself, Mizrahi Developments is also developing the area surrounding 1451 Wellington to benefit the neighbourhood. Mizrahi says that the company spent over two years collaborating with the city of Ottawa planning department and the community to design and evolve the project into what what it is today. As a result, the site will include a parkette with a playground and incorporate an existing bike path and walkway. The parkette is designed to add life to an under-used parcel of land.

“For me, that’s a transformational change — that’s a community benefit, a neighbourhood benefit— that will inspire others to look at developments in the area, and the city of Ottawa as a whole, and incorporate … more public realm features,” says Mizrahi. He adds, “We want it to be more artistic and something that goes beyond the building and creates more of a soul for the neighbourhood.”

Mizrahi Developments opened a $1.5-million state-of-the-art sales gallery for the property at 1451 Wellington West. It’s the largest investment a property developer has ever made in a showroom in the city of Ottawa. It provides the public with a near-exact model of the development’s condominium suites.

1451 Wellington is aiming to fill the high-end luxury condominium gap by providing the public with a home built for a lifestyle of entertaining and travel, with fewer rooms, less maintenance and less worry than with a standalone house. Homeowners can now embrace the condo lifestyle with the same feel, space and customized options as they would in their homes, except with panoramic views of our National Capital Region.

1451 Wellington

What: Luxury condominiums
Builder: Mizrahi Developments
Prices: Prices depend on square-footage but start at over $500,000 and exceed $4,000,000.
Presentation Gallery: 1451 Wellington Street West

Hours: Monday to Friday: 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM; Saturday: 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM; Sunday: 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Information: (613) 798-4663, Reception@1451Wellington.ca, 1451wellington.ca

http://ottawacitizen.com/life/homes/...ellington-west

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 12:12 PM

Looking pretty good.

I wonder when the Esso gas station across the road will be sold?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
[B]Mizrahi builds 1451 Wellington condo with community consultation in Wellington West
Aieeesh. Is that newspaper copy or advertorial?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Aieeesh. Is that newspaper copy or advertorial?
The latter. Many new development articles are like that..pure clickbait. It is rare in those articles for the developer to rant about the BS they had to put up with the City.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
Looking pretty good.

I wonder when the Esso gas station across the road will be sold?
It is not owned by Esso so who knows. One of the few full serve only stations left. Also it doesn't show the price which usually is the highest in the City.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:49 AM
National Capital Region

To be fair, when this went to Council in 2014 the ward councillor, neighbours, and BIA were all on board, and the community association although against "spot rezonings" in principle did not oppose based on the design and consultation process. There was literally applause at the community meeting, and dozens of residents attended the planning committee meeting to support the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
@jchianello 34m
Hmmm, people just clapped after the presentation. Have been to lots of these things - not that common.

@jchianello 19m
Actual resident from Garrison: "Sam" has bent over backwards to implement everything we asked for.

@jchianello 18m
She worries that what will happen if this beautiful development won't go through. Much applause.

@jchianello 6m
One woman clearly doesn't love the idea of people "living on top of one another." References crime. Hmmmmm.

@jchianello 6m
When asked, woman says she liked to see some small houses on corner. But she gets shouted down by others.

@jchianello 2m
? on incrementalism of traffic: "we're victims of our own success." Traffic heavy because people want to come to area. Applause.

@jchianello 2m
? From man who lives quite close by. Used to live next to crack house - neighbourhood really improved. By didn't hear about it until lately

@jchianello 60s
He says he was horrified - but now he's convinced. "I'm extremely impressed and I'm coming into it blind." (Is he a plant?)

‏@jchianello 49s
Another resident: Mizrahi first developer who asked us instead of told us. Met every concern.

@jchianello 19s
It's by no means unanimous, but this crowd seems more in favour than opposed. It's not the usual public meeting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa