HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:26 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

458 Montreal Rd [Mark Motors Porsche] | 12m | 3f | Completed

Mark Motors of Ottawa is proposing the development of a three-storey Porsche automobile dealership, to be located at the corner of the subject site at 458 Montreal Road. The Porsche building will have a total gross floor area of 3240 m2, that will consist of a showroom, offices, service areas and parts storage.

Currently there is an existing Audi Dealership, an Alfa Romeo/Maserati dealership, and an autobody garage on the site. The Alfa Romeo/Maserati dealership building is proposed to be demolished to accommodate the new building. The existing service garage at the rear of the site will remain.

The proposed development features two vehicular access points, a full-way access from Montreal Road that is shared with the existing Audi Dealership.

Architect: Brian K Clark Architect

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...BBIHJ3/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:28 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

I wonder if the existing Porsche dealership up the street will eventually be repurposed as an enlarged Alfa Romeo / Maserati dealership?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 4:44 AM

Looks pretty good, but the city can't pass up this opportunity to extend the EB cycle track on Montreal Rd all the way to St Laurent. Current plans have it stopping short of St Laurent because of the narrow ROW with the old dealership building right at the corner. (See: https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/do...20FINAL-ua.pdf, slide 5).

This plan demolishes that building, but retains its foundation as a landscaping feature that still doesn't leave enough room for cycle tracks. This needs to be fixed so there are cycle tracks along the full Montreal Rd frontage.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 4:54 AM

There goes the old BMO building.

Usually I would say it's cool they are retaining the old foundation as a landscaping feature, but if it prevents continuing the cycle tracks, then the City should discuss with the dealership.

In any case, hard to believe the City couldn't sacrifice a little more car space to complete the cycle tracks.

As for the proposal, it's very nice. Never seen a dealership that opens up to the sidewalk, as opposed to a few lines of cars or parking (at least in the Ottawa area).

Hoping we don't lose the Maserati/Alpha Romeo dealership in the process. We just got it a few years ago.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:00 PM

I like the building design and the open space right at the corner. I live in the area. Nice addition to the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
I wonder if the existing Porsche dealership up the street will eventually be repurposed as an enlarged Alfa Romeo / Maserati dealership?
The other possibility is the building the on the opposite (North East) corner

The old used care dealer moved out and the building has been lipstick renoed but nothing has moved in and there is no evidence of building being for sale or lease.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 3:10 PM
Living With My Mother

I own land 175 metres north of this. So I feel like a stakeholder.

I really like how it opens up the corner. But would like to see a shadow study to see how those three stories impact my property.

I’ve had the great privilege to spend many days around the inner courtyard of les Filles de la Sagesse, just west of the existing dealership. A hidden gem and extraordinary space to spend time.

Last edited by Norman Bates; Feb 3, 2021 at 8:28 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
There goes the old BMO building.

Usually I would say it's cool they are retaining the old foundation as a landscaping feature, but if it prevents continuing the cycle tracks, then the City should discuss with the dealership.

In any case, hard to believe the City couldn't sacrifice a little more car space to complete the cycle tracks.

As for the proposal, it's very nice. Never seen a dealership that opens up to the sidewalk, as opposed to a few lines of cars or parking (at least in the Ottawa area).

Hoping we don't lose the Maserati/Alpha Romeo dealership in the process. We just got it a few years ago.
The Acura dealership on Carling/Kirkwood also opens up to the sidewalk, though it's not right on the corner. I do like how this one makes an effort to create a bit of definition at this important intersection. Would like to see some incorporation of a bus priority here though, it was one of the bottlenecks when I used to take the 12. Maybe something that reserves the curb lane for bikes and buses, with a priority light for buses could help.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 8:33 PM
Closed account

Impressive. This will be a major facelift for that corner! I understand that there are still a lot of moving parts, but the site plan and renderings don't match. The renderings show the corner front yard as a public space with benches & planters, whereas the site plan shows more of vehicle showcase display area. Curious to see which version moves forward.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 11:29 PM
Closed account

It's too bad these very urban car dealerships can't incorporate a residential or commercial component to their sites. It's a waste of not to have a mixed-use at such an urban location on transit routes. A few examples from Vancouver and Toronto.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 2:09 PM

That sort of development would be great. We'll take what we can get, I guess.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 2:15 PM

I would be absolutely terrified working in that former BMO/Alfa Romeo building. I can't believe cars haven't smashed right through that building before. I can't think of a building in this city that is less protected from high speed traffic. I am very surprised they didn't install bollards when they renovated it.

Last edited by Harley613; Feb 4, 2021 at 2:15 PM. Reason: grammar

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 5:00 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

City considers grant for new Porsche dealership in Vanier
Montreal Road designated for financial incentives to boost local business

Kate Porter · CBC News
Posted: May 15, 2021 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 9 hours ago

Ottawa's finance and economic development committee will consider a $2.9-million city grant next week for a future luxury car dealership in the Vanier area, under a program aimed at stimulating local businesses on Montreal Road.

Mrak Holdings Inc., also known as Mark Motors, plans to replace the Audi and Alfa Romeo/Maserati dealerships across from Notre Dame Cemetery with a new, two-storey Porsche building that city staff describe in a report as "world-class."

The new building would face the busy corner of Montreal Road and St. Laurent Boulevard. It's projected to cost $17 million to build, with the owners paying $1.7 million to the City of Ottawa for development fees and building permits.

After it's constructed, the owners' property taxes would soar from $25,625 per year to $355,620.

The city targeted Vanier for a community improvement plan in 2019. That designation, a tool allowed by the provincial government, allows the city to offer grants of up to 75 per cent of the increase in property taxes as an incentive to get owners to upgrade their properties and boost business.

Mrak Holdings would be eligible for a grant of up to $2,910,171 over 10 years, and its application goes before the finance committee Tuesday for approval.

Montreal Road in Vanier is currently undergoing a major $64-million reconstruction. The hydro lines have been buried, and its water mains, sewers and road are being replaced.

"The new facility will represent an important gateway to the Quartier Vanier shopping district and showcase the city's newly upgraded streetscape," wrote city staff in their report, adding the project will create jobs.

The executive director of the Quartier Vanier business improvement area, meanwhile, says it might not seem ideal to have a car dealership on a main street, but the building will be "beautiful" and a "flagship".

Nathalie Carrier said the Mrak family owns the dealerships that have been in that location for years, and they've been great community and business leaders.

"We're happy to have them," she said

Montreal Road isn't the only part of the city deemed eligible for community improvement grants.

The City of Ottawa has also targeted Bells Corners in the west, St. Joseph Boulevard in Orléans, and has a community improvement plan for the wider Orléans area aimed at luring big employers.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...sche-1.6027287

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Looks pretty good, but the city can't pass up this opportunity to extend the EB cycle track on Montreal Rd all the way to St Laurent. Current plans have it stopping short of St Laurent because of the narrow ROW with the old dealership building right at the corner. (See: https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/do...20FINAL-ua.pdf, slide 5).

This plan demolishes that building, but retains its foundation as a landscaping feature that still doesn't leave enough room for cycle tracks. This needs to be fixed so there are cycle tracks along the full Montreal Rd frontage.
The revised site plan fixes this problem; the cycle track now extends to the intersection.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
city staff describe in a report as "world-class"
oh dear

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 8:07 PM

Quote:
oh dear
Yeah car dealership the well known catalyst for urban renewal. Ridiculous to give this any rebate or grant. That said it looks like a nice project.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 8:09 PM

Can't help but wonder why car dealerships were included in the grant program, or why this section of Montreal Road is covered. This is not Vanier. This is nowhere near the Montreal main street.

Lots of unanswered questions.

That said, it's a tax break, not a hand-out, so I'm not in opposition. Just puzzled as to why this request was even possible.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Can't help but wonder why car dealerships were included in the grant program, or why this section of Montreal Road is covered. This is not Vanier. This is nowhere near the Montreal main street.

Lots of unanswered questions.

That said, it's a tax break, not a hand-out, so I'm not in opposition. Just puzzled as to why this request was even possible.
I think I'm in the same boat. If they were eligible, I'm not necessarily opposed- they are at least providing the parkette as part of their development, which I guess is a public benefit.

But going forward I think the city needs to re-think their brownfield and CIP programs. In the past, the brownfield grant has supported the Lowes on Hunt Club. And now CIP is supporting a car dealership. Maybe these should be more focused on things people actually want in their neighbourhoods- housing, service retail, independent restaurants, etc.?

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 9:18 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Committee endorses property tax break for new Porsche dealership in Vanier

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: May 18, 2021 • 1 hour ago • 2 minute read

The finance and economic development committee on Tuesday supported a proposed $2.9-million property tax break for the development of a new Porsche dealership.

The dealership eyed for 458 Montreal Rd. at St. Laurent Boulevard is eligible for financial help under the Montreal Road community improvement plan (CIP). This would be the first grant under the Montreal Road CIP.

City staff support Mark Motors’ application because the development “will help to attract new businesses, support existing businesses, and nurture economic growth.” Part of the Alfa Romeo/Maserati building on the corner property would be demolished to build the new Porsche dealership.

Staff have decided that the project is eligible for a maximum of $2,910,171 in property tax relief over 10 years.

The application, however, drew criticisms from some public delegates who questioned handing out tax breaks for a luxury car dealership. Deputations also questioned placing a two-storey Porsche dealership in Vanier.

On the other hand, the Quartier Vanier BIA and the ward councillor, Rawlson King of Rideau-Rockcliffe, supported the application.

BIA chair Mark Kaluski said the brand of a product, like Porsche, is irrelevant to a city program intended to bolster economic development.

The new Porsche dealership building will be 3,237 square meters. The construction value of the development is estimated by the city at $17 million.

Mark Motors owner Michael Mrack said the existing Porsche store to just east of the development site is running over-capacity. The new site will double the size of work bays and will employ skilled technicians, he said. The company hopes to double the number of staff.

City CIPs provide relief to help offset the increase in property taxes expected from a new development in target areas, Montreal Road being one of them. There are also CIP programs in Bells Corners, Orléans and on St. Joseph Boulevard. The city has a CIP program for heritage properties, too.

The city estimates that the new Porsche dealership will generate an extra $3,880,228 in property taxes over 10 years. The tax break will be rolled out during the development of the property as the property value increases.

Council will be asked to approve the Mark Motors CIP application on May 26.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...ship-in-vanier

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 2:36 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Here's the cycletrack and other corner details from the latest project site plan (top) and the just-released Montreal Road Transit Priority Corridor plan (bottom):

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa