HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 6:11 PM
Honored Member

I really like the saturation and richness that rain adds to your photos.

Regarding shooting in rain, you can also get a rain sleeve, a vinyl or polyethylene sleeve that goes over your camera and forearm with just an elastic-lined opening for the lens. That gives your hand full access to camera controls while providing good protection to your camera.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 6:33 PM
Red October standing by

Wide Angle Lenses

if you're thinking about it and tired with your kit lenses, get a wide angle. it may be expensive but it's worth it. tons of fun and a whole new shooting experience, almost as much fun as using manual settings for the first time. save up the money however and get it.

i think my Tokina 12-24mm was $550 new...i see it's $499 at Adorama now. i was originally going to get the Nikon wide angle which was about $300 more, but talked with my camera shop who said all the real estate companies use and love the Tokina.

i found a nice 1996 book on wide-angle photography at a used book store a couple weeks before i bought the lens. $4 with nice photos to look at and techniques to read.

i don't think i'll ever pay for software; i use Irfanview for basic editing, panoramamaker 3.0 which came with my 2 old Nikons, GMP, Photomatix and RAW Therapee.

"proper" software seems to be for hacks and people in the ad industry.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pence View Post
I really like the saturation and richness that rain adds to your photos.

Regarding shooting in rain, you can also get a rain sleeve, a vinyl or polyethylene sleeve that goes over your camera and forearm with just an elastic-lined opening for the lens. That gives your hand full access to camera controls while providing good protection to your camera.
That's the best suggestion of them all....what would be the price for one of those things? I can't believe it would be too expensive.... but then again anything photo related is a ripoff

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
if you're thinking about it and tired with your kit lenses, get a wide angle. it may be expensive but it's worth it. tons of fun and a whole new shooting experience, almost as much fun as using manual settings for the first time. save up the money however and get it.

i think my Tokina 12-24mm was $550 new...i see it's $499 at Adorama now. i was originally going to get the Nikon wide angle which was about $300 more, but talked with my camera shop who said all the real estate companies use and love the Tokina.

i found a nice 1996 book on wide-angle photography at a used book store a couple weeks before i bought the lens. $4 with nice photos to look at and techniques to read.

i don't think i'll ever pay for software; i use Irfanview for basic editing, panoramamaker 3.0 which came with my 2 old Nikons, GMP, Photomatix and RAW Therapee.

"proper" software seems to be for hacks and people in the ad industry.

-
Haven't found a wide angle that cheap in Edmonton's stores, but I know Adorama, B&H, etc. do ship to Canada so I could always use them.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 1:38 AM
Watchin em grow

It is 740 here in Calgary

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 1:55 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

WOW! Really? No wonder you have more trouble getting equipment. Why such a big hike in price when the US and Canada are right next to each other?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 1:58 AM

^Less market in Canada. Think about it 300 million versus 30 million. You guys get way better selection on consumer products than us. Canada in general is also more expensive to live in...even groceries are more expensive (but we have higher minimum wages than many states actually).

The only reason I'm hesitant about B&H or the like is that they don't have warranty for people outside the US...what if something happens?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 3:04 AM
Watchin em grow

The only option is if you have a friend in the US and purchase it through them and their address but that gets complicated

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 3:12 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Man that sucks

So I guess even used they're over 600 bucks?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 3:51 AM
Red October standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
Haven't found a wide angle that cheap in Edmonton's stores, but I know Adorama, B&H, etc. do ship to Canada so I could always use them.
weirdly enough, i looked for a wide angle in 3 shops in 3 states, but only one had a wide angle in stock and it was a cannon mount...my usual shop, who also recommended the Tokina said that there's not enough of a demand to keep them in regular stock.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 4:57 AM

^^I haven't checked much in terms of used for photo equipment save eBay or Kijiji honestly, so I wouldn't necessarily know.

Although if I make it out to the US next spring or summer as I hope...perhaps I can just take the lens back with me from an American retailer?

I dunno, but yeah, even a load of bread is extremely expensive compared to you guys in the States.

^That is odd, but I'm sure there is more demand still than Canada for it.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 6:53 PM

Just a question on resizing,should a image be
resized first before edited or vice versa?....
will pic uploaders like imageshack affect image
if I resize with them or should it be done in a photo
editor first...your views please on your process

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota74 View Post
Just a question on resizing,should a image be
resized first before edited or vice versa?....
will pic uploaders like imageshack affect image
if I resize with them or should it be done in a photo
editor first...your views please on your process
That's a good question.

You should do any adjustments and editing before you resize it. Then scale the image down. Then do sharpening on the resized photo.

Don't depend on imageshack et al. to resize it.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 8:38 PM

I usually resize in imageshack but
sometimes feel that the image is a wee bit
iffy.So your saying after editing and then resizing
I should sharpen the image slightly and then
upload in imageshack without resizing there...

one more thing to do with fstops in apeture....will an
increase in say fstop 11 to 22 slightly decrease image quailty..thought I
saw this on a site but couldnt find it again and its bugging me

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 10:40 PM
tilted & shifted

^I think you're talking about diffraction. Absolutely, it can affect image quality.

From http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...apertures.html

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota74 View Post
one more thing to do with fstops in apeture....will an increase in say fstop 11 to 22 slightly decrease image quailty..thought I
saw this on a site but couldnt find it again and its bugging me
I think mentioned this right in this thread, didn't I? I think if you look int his thread you can find it somewhere. Maybe this is where you heard it.

Basically every lens has a limit to how far you can decrease F-stop before loss of sharpness due to diffraction starts:

my Olympus C-7070 - F4.0

Four-Thirds / Micro Four-Thirds - F8.0

APS-C (eg. Canon EF-S) - F11

35mm / Full Frame - F16

Not exact numbers but you get the idea. Remember diffraction depends on the lens, not the body and sensor size. That chart i_am_hydrogen posted is most likely for 35mm/full frame, as you can see loss of sharpness starts past F16.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
That's a good question.

You should do any adjustments and editing before you resize it. Then scale the image down. Then do sharpening on the resized photo.

Don't depend on imageshack et al. to resize it.
Some sites resize very well though, and resize automatically according to viewer's monitor's resolution. So for example, if your site on Zenfolio or Smugmug, it is better just to upload the full-size photo. Uploading full-size also allows you to take advantage of the site's printing services as well.

But for a site like Imageshack, I would definitely resize first.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 12:21 AM

ya you did mention it,had a look
at a few pages and you explained it well

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 4:46 AM

For those of you using Lightroom, what is it like? I've asked around a few people already but I was wondering SSPers opinions on the matter if they have it. Is it easy to edit? I hear you can store and organize photos within it...or maybe I read it wrong...but if this is true...can you still store/organize the photos in regular files and folders...and just use it for editing only? I was looking at this one because of price: http://mcbaincamera.com/productdetai...ain_id=3020291

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
For those of you using Lightroom, what is it like? I've asked around a few people already but I was wondering SSPers opinions on the matter if they have it. Is it easy to edit? I hear you can store and organize photos within it...or maybe I read it wrong...but if this is true...can you still store/organize the photos in regular files and folders...and just use it for editing only? I was looking at this one because of price: http://mcbaincamera.com/productdetai...ain_id=3020291
You can download a 30 day free trial version from Adobe.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography