HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 7:01 PM

Kinda sad that Discovery Green is the best Houston can offer for a building "with a view"

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by currysteph View Post
Kinda sad that Discovery Green is the best Houston can offer for a building "with a view"
I'm pretty sure the view out of the Zsa-Zsa overlooking Hermann Park is more scenic.

In fact, Bob Hope once called that view (from the then Warwick) the most beautiful view from a Hotel room he had ever seen with the Sam Houston statue, reflecting pond, par and lake surrounded by the med center skyline and trees.

Here is the quote:

The Warwick Hotel opened in 1926 at the entrance to Hermann Park. The legendary entertainer Bob Hope once remarked, "The view from the Warwick Hotel is the most beautiful I’ve ever seen. It’s just like Paris.” Today, the building houses Hotel Zaza and many of the original architectural touches remain.

The exterior is decorated with Georgian-styled cast stone ornament and the U-shape of the building is indicative of many residential structures of the 1920's constructed to catch the southeast breeze. One of the properties most notable conversions came in 1962 when it was purchased at auction by Houston oilman John Mecom Sr. He completed an extensive renovation before reopening Warwick's doors in 1964.

https://www.visithoustontexas.com/ho...storic-hotels/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 3:52 AM

Quote:
There are many highrises with views not only of Hermann Park, but also Memorial Park, Allen Parkway, and River Oaks. All have beautiful views.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 7:48 AM

Old Posted Jan 14, 2024, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
There are many highrises with views not only of Hermann Park, but also Memorial Park, Allen Parkway, and River Oaks. All have beautiful views.
Yea i understand that....sorry if I wasnt more clear on my point...I was mainly referring to downtown.

And about Bob Hope...Yea I heard that as well...and supposedly the reporter or interviewer that asked the question was astonished when he said Houston as they were expecting London or Paris etc....:-)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2024, 11:14 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Yea i understand that....sorry if I wasnt more clear on my point...I was mainly referring to downtown.

And about Bob Hope...Yea I heard that as well...and supposedly the reporter or interviewer that asked the question was astonished when he said Houston as they were expecting London or Paris etc....:-)
Not really unique to Houston though. Pretty much any city with a concentration of residential in a denser environment (i.e., downtown) will entail having any view blocked by other buildings. Houston does stand out that high rises are spread out over town so people have more scenic options such as Hermann Park, Uptown, etc.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 3:33 AM

Quote:

It was Phil Donahue.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 2:05 PM
FYHA

Rice University - Old Sid Richardson Replacement Towers

Info & renderings c/o Paco Jones on HAIF

Quote:
PROJECT:
Rice University New Residential Colleges 12 & 13

ARCHITECT OF RECORD:
Kirksey

DESIGN ARCHITECT:
Henning Larsen

INFORMATION:
Rice Colleges 12 and 13 (along with the adjoining servery) is located south of the John and Anne Grove at the south colleges precinct, between the existing New Sid Richardson College and Wiess College residential buildings. The area includes the existing Old Sid Richardson Tower and Commons as well as the site of the Wilson House.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 6:29 PM

Pretty bland for Rice

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 6:39 AM

It doesn't adhere to Rice's architecture at all. Not good.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 7:07 AM

This is very in tune with the campus’ most recent additions in the past decade that have consistently turned out looking better than the renderings.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 2:16 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
This is very in tune with the campus’ most recent additions in the past decade that have consistently turned out looking better than the renderings.
Agreed. The two towers actually look like companions to New Sid rather than making Old Sid stick out like an aged sore thumb.

I don't think people keep up with all of the additions that have occurred on the campus in the past decade, but I would also agree that pretty much everything that has been added complements the older structures on campus. Think the Engineering & Science Building, Kraft Hall and even the Cambridge building & garage, albeit maybe to a lesser extent on that last one - and even that is just because of the paneling on the garage portion.

The new performing arts center, for example, is one of the newest structures but it also looks more in step with something that would have been part of the original site plan by Cram. Contrast that with the Moody Center which is just south and pre-dates it by a few years. That building is clearly is a more modern design but still feels like a good neighbor - one that might walk the line in terms of design, but still has the right scale for the campus.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 3:35 PM
FYHA

Holiday Inn Express / Staybridge Suites Downtown

c/o hindesky on HAIF who writes...

Quote:
The guy on the right in the hi visibility vest is with Keystone Concrete, he confirmed they will be the concrete contractor, he also said the tower crane will be going up in about a month. He pointed to what will be the pool area for its location. Jayco Steel is providing the rebar.

They were doing a column pour and still digging the pilings.

https://www.keystoneconcrete.com

Fairfield Waugh

c/o hindesky on HAIF

Houston Methodist Centennial Tower

C/O Highrise Tower on HAIF

Fairmont Museum District III

c/o cityliving on HAIF

Residences on Westheimer

c/o Hindesky on HAIF.

The Langley

c/o hindesky on HAIF

UTHealth Houston Research Campus

-SCRB5

c/o hindesky on HAIF

-School of Public Health

c/o hindesky on HAIF

BCM Health Sciences Building

c/o Highrise Tower on HAIF

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 3:52 PM
FYHA

Tanglewood Multifamily

Rendering c/o Paco Jones on HAIF

Project now has an entry w/ information on TDLR TABS

Quote:
PROJECT

Project Name:
McNair Tanglewood Multifamily

Project Number:
TABS2024009706

Facility Name:
Tanglewood Multifamily

Location Address:
1111 S Post Oak
Houston, TX 77027

Location County:
Harris

Start Date:
5/6/2024

Completion Date:
6/26/2026

Estimated Cost:
$116,000

Type of Work:
New Construction

Type of Funds:
This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.

Scope of Work:
18 story Concrete frame multifamily tower.

Square Footage:
636,808 ft 2

Are the private funds provided by the tenant?
No

Current Status:
Project Registered

PERSON FILING FORM
Contact Name:
Jason St. julian

RAS

RAS Name:
WILLIAM T,WINNING
RAS #:

RAS Address:
11555 BEAMER RD STE 500
HOUSTON, TX 77089

RAS Phone:
(281) 922-0700

OWNER
Owner Name:
Palmetto Wynden Development

Owner Address:
109 North Post Oak Ln.
Houston, Texas 77024

Owner Phone:
(713) 336-7892

Contact Name:
Clay Weaver

TENANT
Not Assigned

DESIGN FIRM
Design Firm Name:
Kirksey Architecture

Design Firm Address:
6909 portwest dr.
Houston, Texas 77024

Design Firm Phone:
(713) 426-7424

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 8:06 PM
FYHA

The RO

Rendering c/o Pickard Chilton

Potentially big news about a corporate office component landing here, c/o Ralph Bivins' Realty News Report email - will likely be online soon.

Quote:
Occidental Petroleum Corp. is planning to relocate employees into a new office campus that will be constructed on the R.O. development near the northwest corner of Richmond Avenue and Buffalo Speedway, according to people in the real estate community. A few years ago, OXY signed a lease for 972,145 SF in the Five and Three Greenway Plaza buildings until 2031. OXY is expected to move into the new R.O. building in 2027 or 2028.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 6:23 PM

With all this construction going on, maybe some day, at least inside the loop, Houston will actually be a densely populated city that you can walk around.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 1:58 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattleigh View Post
The RO

Rendering c/o Pickard Chilton

Potentially big news about a corporate office component landing here, c/o Ralph Bivins' Realty News Report email - will likely be online soon.
Even more happening here...

COH Permit for office foundations out now c/o hindesky on HAIF

Vitol may move from nearby Kirby Grove at Levy Park to this space, once again, per Ralph Bivins' Realty News Report Newsletter.

Quote:
Another new office building may be in the Houston construction pipeline. Energy trader Vitol Inc. is expected to occupy four stories of office space/trading floors stacked atop a multiple-level parking garage. The project would be constructed in the R.O. development on Buffalo Speedway, near Richmond Avenue. Vitol is currently in Kirby Grove, a project developed by Midway on Richmond Ave. Transwestern Development’s Sean Suffel has a long to-do list at the R.O., a redevelopment of the Exxon Research property between Richmond and West Alabama. A new building for OXY and an Auberge hotel/condo also are expected to rise at the R.O. ….

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 9:39 PM
FYHA

Hilton Houston Southwest / Altura

Image c/o Loopnet

Looks like this former hotel in Sharpstown is next in line for a conversion to a residential building.

TDLR filing - c/o hindesky on HAIF

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 4:08 PM
FYHA

And another conversion - this time in the Energy Corridor, which appears to be underway

550 Westlake Park / Three Westlake Park

Quote:
Former BP, ConocoPhillips office tower transforming into apartments in Houston's Energy Corridor

By Marissa Luck,
Staff writer
Feb 6, 2024

Developers have started to transform a former ConocoPhillips and BP office tower in Houston’s Energy Corridor into a 311-unit apartment building, adding to a growing trend of office to residential conversions taking place across the country.

Florida firm DeBartolo Development is teaming up with local investor John Quinlan to convert Three Westlake, a 19-story office tower known as 550 Westlake Park Boulevard. Quinlan bought the vacant tower in 2022 at an online auction for $21 million and in 2023 sold the tower to a joint venture he struck between his firm and DeBartolo.

Work on the project began late last year, and crews were demolishing parts of the interior this month, a spokesperson for DeBartolo said.

When complete, the apartments are expected to have finishes and amenities similar to those in a residential high-rise in downtown Houston. There will be coworking spaces, a gameroom, a yoga and fitness center, a bike storage room, plus a rooftop pool with grills and cabanas, said Edward Kobel, president of DeBartolo.

“It will feel like a combination of a luxury hotel and a luxury condominium,” Kobel said. “There will be cool amenities like you’d have in a high-rise downtown, but for the rent prices of a low-rise building. It’s an incredible value proposition.”

Proposed rents would be a few cents per square foot above the average for Class A apartments in the Energy Corridor, Kobel said.

Construction would likely take about 18 months, wrapping up likely by late 2025, said Eddie A. Mastalerz, principal at ARC3 Architecture, the architect on the project.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 2:15 PM
FYHA

Residences on Westheimer

Great photos of the project and Upper Kirby c/o cityliving on HAIF

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations