HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Oh good, now we have "not enough walls for art" to bitch about on this forum.
Yes, we do! We can always do better. Never accept less. Of course, this type of building, at its size and height, being built in Philly is still a milestone to be celebrated.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 7:08 PM

While I think this building on the exterior will be good to better, I too am surprised by the floor plans, just not very graceful. Like having the dining room on the opposite end of the room from the kitchen, having to walk through the bathroom to get to the closet, little things like that. I thought there would be at least one offering that would have a separate dining room, as friends tell me they make good rooms to have the kids study in, etc. sortof like a flex room. But I'm not in the market for what they are offering------
One factor that really surprises me is that in the sky type units they are only offering 4 floor plans. I think there would be a good market for 1 bedroom with a den/study/guest room type units.
But since this is certainly not a fast build if their present offerings don't sell, they'll have time to develop other floor plans. I wonder what level of customizing they offer. If I was spending $3M for new construction I'd want to be making lots of choices.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
While I think this building on the exterior will be good to better, I too am surprised by the floor plans, just not very graceful. Like having the dining room on the opposite end of the room from the kitchen, having to walk through the bathroom to get to the closet, little things like that. I thought there would be at least one offering that would have a separate dining room, as friends tell me they make good rooms to have the kids study in, etc. sortof like a flex room. But I'm not in the market for what they are offering------
One factor that really surprises me is that in the sky type units they are only offering 4 floor plans. I think there would be a good market for 1 bedroom with a den/study/guest room type units.
But since this is certainly not a fast build if their present offerings don't sell, they'll have time to develop other floor plans. I wonder what level of customizing they offer. If I was spending $3M for new construction I'd want to be making lots of choices.
They are not offering customization of the smaller units, at least not letting you bring in your own architects or contractors while the buildings is still under construction. And there is limited flexibility on installation of "off menu" choices through their contractors. I was looking at the S1, the 2,500 square foot one, and it was not really an option. They do have a fair number of default finish options, though. For those really throwing down the cash, like taking half a floor (the Estate units), there is much more flexibility and ability to customize during the construction process with off-menu finishes and bringing in your own contractors and architects during construction.

I actually think these will sell fine and there won't be a need to go any smaller, which is not really the demographic they are going for anyway. I could see it possibly evolving naturally, though. Say because someone wants to buy 3/4 of a floor and not a whole floor.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 8:53 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
I forget where I read the article, but there seems to be pent up demand for large size units (2500 sq. ft and above) to accommodate a family of 3 or more people. If I recall correctly, some buyers were putting units together at One Riverside to make them bigger for this reason. No doubt the Laurel will do well with the larger units.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
I forget where I read the article, but there seems to be pent up demand for large size units (2500 sq. ft and above) to accommodate a family of 3 or more people. If I recall correctly, some buyers were putting units together at One Riverside to make them bigger for this reason. No doubt the Laurel will do well with the larger units.
Yes. I'd definitely say there is a deficit of larger condos and a demand for them. At One Riverside and also older buildings like Ritz Residences, there have been many recent combinations. That's why I have to wonder what's going on with SLS and why it's having such difficulty getting off the ground.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 9:32 PM

this one should be nice...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Yes. I'd definitely say there is a deficit of larger condos and a demand for them. At One Riverside and also older buildings like Ritz Residences, there have been many recent combinations. That's why I have to wonder what's going on with SLS and why it's having such difficulty getting off the ground.
location, location, location? Rittenhouse Sq. is such a proven market that if future resale is a large concern one wouldn't have as much 'worry' as buying on S. Broad. I wonder how resale prices have been in Carl's pink topped masterpiece, also on S. Broad.

I get why southern doesn't want outside contractors tripping over each other during construction, along with the related problems of who is responsible for what. I did a library in 10 Rittenhouse and because I'm not union I couldn't take more then a tape measure on site until the place was done and settlement on the unit had been completed. Even to just get into the space meant I had to be with either the future owner along with a rep from the sales team, or a rep from the developers office. I think my client had to pay a small amount so the room in question wouldn't be finished, something about a management fee to make sure things weren't done. But the client was able to get all the lighting and flooring they wanted done for not much extra money.

Offering upgrades on kitchen cabinets and doors and trim and hardwood flooring instead of carpet, etc. used to be one way developers made extra money. As long as their sales figures are where southern thinks they should be I understand their policies. If the condo sales really take off I wonder if they have the ability to turn some of the apartments into condos.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
location, location, location? Rittenhouse Sq. is such a proven market that if future resale is a large concern one wouldn't have as much 'worry' as buying on S. Broad. I wonder how resale prices have been in Carl's pink topped masterpiece, also on S. Broad.

I get why southern doesn't want outside contractors tripping over each other during construction, along with the related problems of who is responsible for what. I did a library in 10 Rittenhouse and because I'm not union I couldn't take more then a tape measure on site until the place was done and settlement on the unit had been completed. Even to just get into the space meant I had to be with either the future owner along with a rep from the sales team, or a rep from the developers office. I think my client had to pay a small amount so the room in question wouldn't be finished, something about a management fee to make sure things weren't done. But the client was able to get all the lighting and flooring they wanted done for not much extra money.

Offering upgrades on kitchen cabinets and doors and trim and hardwood flooring instead of carpet, etc. used to be one way developers made extra money. As long as their sales figures are where southern thinks they should be I understand their policies. If the condo sales really take off I wonder if they have the ability to turn some of the apartments into condos.
Unions.

I love that the owner had to pay so that they wouldn't finish. That should be illegal.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Unions.

I love that the owner had to pay so that they wouldn't finish. That should be illegal.
It was a union site, I had no problem with that in concept. Even if my shop was union I still don't know if I would have been welcomed, as my work was not part of what the GC had contracted to build. My work was for the buyer of the condo, not the GC. The developer didn't do much to help my client, who was a buyer, and that surprised me. The developer was fine with selling upgrades and making reasonable changes, for a price, but once the buyer wanted to go outside the box of options being offered, it was like recreating the wheel.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 3:08 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Well, cute wins because it's small and at the far edge of the property. The Warwick is probably too big to fit into Southern's master plan. The Bair Funeral Home has to be a goner. Maybe "facade-ectomies" might work, but I doubt it.

I guess that other small property between Sophie Curson and the coffee shop is not part of this. That's derelict too, as I recall.
Replying to a 3 year old comment, because I happened to stumble across it while searching for something else.

That rowhouse (1902 Sansom), now an annex to Sophy Curson, was the world famous 2nd Fret club of the 60s:

https://phillyjazz.us/2015/05/04/the-2nd-fret/

Philly’s premier folk club, the 2nd Fret played host to folk singers and jazz artists who went on to greatness. Musicians like Arlo Guthrie, Norman Connors, Alfie Pollit, Brownie McGhee & Sonny Terry, and Richie Havens. A former habitué said artists returned to the small club over and over because they wanted to make sure it survived.

Joni Mitchell performed there many times, recording live at the 2nd Fret in 1967.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 9:55 PM

Tower Crane base will be delivered tomorrow or wednesday!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 10:06 PM
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhead401 View Post

Bryce Harper will also be delivered tomorrow or Wednesday. What a week!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Have they even started excavating yet? How useful would the crane actually be at this point?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 10:21 PM

take pics and keep us posted.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 11:38 PM
i heart philly

Quote:
Yes!!!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishtown View Post
Have they even started excavating yet? How useful would the crane actually be at this point?
No idea honestly. I just know its loaded on a trailer ready to go out!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 6:50 PM

they dont even have the zoning permit for this site yet as far as I can see. Only the same permit I mentioned before to support the adjacent structure.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 7:01 PM

Yep. Super confused how this site is going to be installing a tower crane without any work having started?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Yep. Super confused how this site is going to be installing a tower crane without any work having started?
Yes. Puzzling to say the least...they are working hard to try to keep prospective buyers engaged. Just got an invite from them for March 5 to a "demonstration" of the kitchen appliances to be held at the Navy Yard.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Yes. Puzzling to say the least...they are working hard to try to keep prospective buyers engaged. Just got an invite from them for March 5 to a "demonstration" of the kitchen appliances to be held at the Navy Yard.
??? How 'bout just start fucking building the thing? And keep your advertising/signage on the fence in working order.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive