HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 10:57 PM

Today's departure count: 14

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 12:37 AM

Today’s departure count: 16

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 9:25 PM

Today’s departure count: 15

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 8:00 PM

Today’s departure count: 15

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 3:03 PM

Today’s departure count: 12

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 3:30 PM
The Caboose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
Today’s departure count: 12
It has gone down by three!?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 5:01 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa cargo flights climb as carriers rush to meet growing demand
YOW plays key role in eastern Arctic supply chain, but position cannot be taken for granted, officials say

By: OBJ360 Content Studio
Published: Aug 28, 2020 10:58am EDT

[This article is sponsored by the Ottawa International Airport Authority.]

A sharp rise in cargo flights serving Canada’s capital this summer highlights an important but often overlooked part of the Ottawa International Airport’s operations that enables local businesses to quickly reach customers in other markets.

Air freight is typically handled either on dedicated cargo flights operated by carriers such as FedEx, Cargojet and Canadian North or in the belly of passenger aircraft, below the cabin, flown by the likes of Air Canada and WestJet.

With many of those passenger flights temporarily suspended, dedicated cargo flights at the Ottawa International Airport jumped 18 per cent year-over-year in July to 138 takeoffs and landings. The demand for dedicated cargo flights climbed as carriers replaced lost capacity aboard passenger aircraft and responded to growing demand for rush deliveries, ranging from medical equipment to everyday e-commerce purchases.

Some 31,375 metric tonnes of cargo moved through YOW in 2019, a two per cent increase over the previous year. Significantly, nearly two-thirds of that cargo was outbound – products sold by local businesses to customers in other markets.

This is driven in part by YOW’s key role in the eastern Arctic supply chain.

“Everything from axle grease to zucchini can be sourced locally for air freight to the north,” says Mark Laroche, the president and CEO of the Ottawa International Airport Authority. “This is positive for the local economy, particularly for producers, manufacturers, distributors and retailers in Ottawa-Gatineau.”

However, Laroche cautions that Ottawa’s current role as a supplier to the north should not be taken for granted.

Looking at a map of our country could be somewhat misleading and could give us the impression that Ottawa is in closer proximity to Iqaluit relative to other Canadian cities. But other Canadian airports – which would welcome additional cargo business to the north – are almost equally close.

For example, a Cargojet Boeing 767 freighter takes approximately 2.5 hours to fly from YOW to Iqaluit. That same aircraft would only require an additional 12 minutes to reach Nunavut’s capital from Winnipeg and another 20 minutes from Hamilton. The flight from Quebec City to Iqaluit is actually 15 minutes shorter than from Ottawa.

Given that aircraft are mobile assets and can be redeployed as demand and supply chains evolve, it is essential that Ottawa maintains its competitive position by, for example, maintaining efficient road access to the airport.

“Time is critical in cargo operations,” Laroche says.

It’s equally essential that limits on the type of development that can occur close to the airport are adhered to by all. The purpose of the airport’s “operating influence zone” is to avoid building homes and other structures in areas where people could be bothered by the sound of planes taking off or landing during all hours – an avoidable conflict that can lead to curfews and other restrictions.

“The airport needs to continue to remain open to cargo,” Laroche says. “That is why limiting ‘noise-sensitive’ development in the Airport Operating Influence Zone (AOIZ), as described in the City’s Official Plan and Comprehensive Zoning By-law, is so important.”

Despite the inherent volatility in the air freight industry, the sector’s outlook in Ottawa is promising.

The merger of Canadian North and First Air is good news for the National Capital Region, as the Arctic-focused carrier has indicated that it will maintain its headquarters in Ottawa.

Elsewhere, FedEx has an aircraft dedicated to its busy Ottawa operations, and Air Canada recently upgraded its YOW cargo facilities.

Meanwhile, changing consumer trends and the growth of e-commerce is creating expectations for quick and timely deliveries, putting more pressure on air freight.

“We’re paying close attention to ensure that YOW is prepared for future cargo growth. Our airfield is ready, and we have land available for facility expansion. We need to continue working with the City of Ottawa to ensure that essential airport roadway infrastructure is equipped as well,” Laroche says.

https://www.obj.ca/article/sponsored...growing-demand

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 7:56 PM

Thanks for posting that article. It's good to know that cargo is remaining steady at the airport.

I am wondering if there is anymore news on the First Air Cargo expansion plans? I know they asked the Feds to fund half of their $17.5 million expansion project... But I have not heard anything since last years announcement.

Fed Ex would also take over the former First Air cargo space which would significantly upgrade their facility in my opinion.

Kanata-based First Air proposes $17.5M expansion of Ottawa airport cargo area

It's unfortunate we are so close to YYZ and YMX via trucking, otherwise I wonder if UPS would locate a facility at YOW and have a distribution centre at the airport.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post

It's unfortunate we are so close to YYZ and YMX via trucking, otherwise I wonder if UPS would locate a facility at YOW and have a distribution centre at the airport.
That's exactly it, Mirabel is too close. Fedex does much more air than UPS or Purolator, especially internationally, so it makes more sense for them to fly out of Ottawa to meet Memphis timelines, rather than having the YMX flight have to wait for trucks.

I could see something happening with Cargojet after the new Amazon warehouse opens. Between Cargojet's service agreements with Amazon, as well as with Purolator and Canada Post being Amazon's largest carriers and themselves using Cargojet for most of their airlift, I could see Cargojet adding YOW services for that.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
That's exactly it, Mirabel is too close. Fedex does much more air than UPS or Purolator, especially internationally, so it makes more sense for them to fly out of Ottawa to meet Memphis timelines, rather than having the YMX flight have to wait for trucks.

I could see something happening with Cargojet after the new Amazon warehouse opens. Between Cargojet's service agreements with Amazon, as well as with Purolator and Canada Post being Amazon's largest carriers and themselves using Cargojet for most of their airlift, I could see Cargojet adding YOW services for that.
Actually most FX cargo out of YOW goes to their secondary IND hub as YOW-BUF-MEM is only once a week. The other days it's YOW-YMX-IND.

Great to finally know the metric tonnage at YOW. It's grown a lot in the last 15 years. I think much of that is thanks to 7F (now 5T) that moved all food-mail to YOW and partnered with CargoJet, instead of taking the majority of it to YFB from YVO way back when.

I wonder if we'll ever see an Amazon Prime flight thanks to the new distribution centre?

Seeing an actual UPS flight someday to SDF would be amazing too. Domestically, everything UPS runs on CargoJet.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 5:15 PM

Today's departure count: 15 - WS now are down to only the early am flight being mainline to YYZ and YYC is reduced to 4x weekly.

However FWIW, now that AA have extended their schedule to late July 2021, they actually show YOW-PHL returning 2x daily on Piedmont ERJs as of 06APR21. Even if COVID prevents that re-launch date, it's encouraging to see YOW is still a bookable destination with AA.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Actually most FX cargo out of YOW goes to their secondary IND hub as YOW-BUF-MEM is only once a week. The other days it's YOW-YMX-IND.

Great to finally know the metric tonnage at YOW. It's grown a lot in the last 15 years. I think much of that is thanks to 7F (now 5T) that moved all food-mail to YOW and partnered with CargoJet, instead of taking the majority of it to YFB from YVO way back when.

I wonder if we'll ever see an Amazon Prime flight thanks to the new distribution centre?

Seeing an actual UPS flight someday to SDF would be amazing too. Domestically, everything UPS runs on CargoJet.
Let's not forget that the Sunday evening FedEx flight is direct MEM-YOW!

I mentioned UPS as they seem to be popular around here. But as you mentioned, if their domestic shipments are on CargoJet they are covered with the flight to YHM linking to UPS flights there.

Does Amazon Prime Air fly into Canada? You would think if this was in any of their plans, they would build a DC at the airport and not off the highways unfortunately.

I personally just like seeing the heavy cargo aircraft takeoff. Always a thrill for me.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Does Amazon Prime Air fly into Canada? You would think if this was in any of their plans, they would build a DC at the airport and not off the highways unfortunately.

I personally just like seeing the heavy cargo aircraft takeoff. Always a thrill for me.
There are various Amazon charters into multiple Canadian airports, primarily YHM and YVR, probably YMX as well. Generally, most of it just goes right into the courier and post networks from the airport rather than going to an Amazon facility, unless it's being delivered by Amazon themselves.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:

It seems that inbound FedEx connects though YMX. I've had packages come out of MEM overnight and following the flights back it definitely made a quick change of planes at YMX in the early morning. Regardless, it doesn't really matter where it goes or how it gets here, the key is volume and connections.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Let's not forget that the Sunday evening FedEx flight is direct MEM-YOW!

I mentioned UPS as they seem to be popular around here. But as you mentioned, if their domestic shipments are on CargoJet they are covered with the flight to YHM linking to UPS flights there.

Oh so MEM is now twice weekly, including the BUF stop on Friday nights and IND is 4x weekly?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Oh so MEM is now twice weekly, including the BUF stop on Friday nights and IND is 4x weekly?
Yes that's right! (ish)

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evening is YOW-YMX-IND

Friday evening is YOW-BUF-MEM

Saturday morning there is an arrival of MEM-BUF-YOW and after unloading it goes to EWR on what I can only imagine is a repositioning flight. This used to be JFK until about a month or so ago (I can't quite remember). Perhaps they do load some priority cargo, but I am not sure.

No arrival Sunday morning.

Sunday evening is the MEM-YOW direct (usually lands YOW around midnight)

This plane then sits around all day until it starts back at the top with YOW-YMX-IND Monday evening.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 1:09 PM

Is there an online resource for scheduled cargo flights? I'm still wanting to take a little one plane spotting but the thin schedule of passenger flights limits the 'good' time of day to go (between 2 & 4 seems to offer the most take-off/landings.)

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidetrackedSue View Post
Is there an online resource for scheduled cargo flights? I'm still wanting to take a little one plane spotting but the thin schedule of passenger flights limits the 'good' time of day to go (between 2 & 4 seems to offer the most take-off/landings.)
Use FlightAware: https://flightaware.com/live/airport/CYOW

- Fedex 153 is scheduled to depart around 7:50pm
- Cargojet 1573 is scheduled to depart around 8:10pm

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Yes that's right! (ish)

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evening is YOW-YMX-IND

Friday evening is YOW-BUF-MEM

Saturday morning there is an arrival of MEM-BUF-YOW and after unloading it goes to EWR on what I can only imagine is a repositioning flight. This used to be JFK until about a month or so ago (I can't quite remember). Perhaps they do load some priority cargo, but I am not sure.

No arrival Sunday morning.

Sunday evening is the MEM-YOW direct (usually lands YOW around midnight)

This plane then sits around all day until it starts back at the top with YOW-YMX-IND Monday evening.
Thanks for the full run-down. So we have one-way nonstops to EWR and from IND weekly. I would imagine a bit of cargo would get loaded for EWR, but not much. Similarly, I bet a tiny bit of cargo is loaded/offload to/from BUF, but again probably max 1 can.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 7:17 PM

Today’s departure count: 16

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation