HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 10:56 PM
Honored Member

This one is moving right along. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 12:15 PM

Is there anything Blumenthal won't try to halt?

Recovered decades-old remains to be reburied
By DAN ARSENAULT Staff Reporter
Fri. Feb 19 - 4:53 AM

Some decades-old, unidentified human remains that were unearthed at a Halifax construction site this week will get a new resting place at the Fairview Lawn Cemetery.

Excavators called police when they found the bones while digging in front of the St. Anthony’s Community Centre on Bayers Road. Municipal officials were contacted afterwards.

Bill Arbuckle, supervisor of cemetery operations for Halifax Regional Municipality, doesn’t know the gender of the remains, which had no identification.

He said the Fairview Lawn Cemetery used to be much larger. The cemetery originated around 1893 as a private enterprise. It stretched from Windsor Street at Strawberry Hill to Bayers Road, but was moved far back from Bayers Road in the 1940s when the City of Halifax took it over.

"At that time they exhumed all the remains, obviously they must have missed a little . . . and brought them over to Fairview Lawn Cemetery," Arbuckle said Thursday.

One section of the old cemetery wasn’t moved, though. The fenced-off Fairview Cemetery Annex still holds an unknown number of graves near the Bayers Park Apartments on Bayers Road.

The local municipal councillor said he’d like to see a temporary halt to the excavation work while experts are brought in.

Coun. Jerry Blumenthal (Halifax North End) said the developer shouldn’t be able to do more work there until the site is examined.

( darsenault@herald.ca )

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 8:27 PM

Some of the foundation and basement columns have been poured.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 9:27 PM

March 2010 Phototour

From today;

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 8:28 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
They are on this page:

I'm not normally one to diss an architect but that is seriously one ugly peice of sh*t

Maybe council will learn the tallers one look sexy while short ones are bulky and turn out like this.
I think that this one (above) is interesting. Initially this was going to be a 16 storey single tower but it was rejected by municipal Council. I think that the architect had some fun with this one. Sort of a form of rebellion; it looks like a ship wreck (but in an interesting way). It is two different buildings merged into one (did the municipal council have the renderings when they approved this , I wonder if they knew what they were getting?) . Along the lines of the more modern proposal below for Bratislava, Slovakia (source username Alien, http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=337770&page=2 ). I would enjoy seeing a building like the one below be proposed for Halifax (just to see the reaction). However, I think that Halifax will have to be introduced to these designs in small steps. The thing that causes me some concern with the one above is the colour scheme. The one above in Halifax is under construction, whereas the one below is just a far fetched proposal. This is why I think that this is actually a step towards modern design in Halifax (I have never seen an actual building like this, which is two buildings merged together, in any of the cities that I have ever visited)

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I think that this one (above) is interesting. Initially this was going to be a 16 storey single tower but it was rejected by municipal Council. I think that the architect had some fun with this one. Sort of a form of rebellion; it looks like a ship wreck (but in an interesting way). It is two different buildings merged into one (did the municipal council have the renderings when they approved this , I wonder if they knew what they were getting?) .(...)
Given that there's a memorial to unidentified victims of the Halifax Explosion in the 'back yard', I think looking like two ships colliding probably has more to do with that... (which I believe someone else already observed in this thread) Kinda tacky, if so.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 2:37 PM
we built this city

I just hate the glass part... otherwise its not too bad.

I like how it blocks the view of Alta gymnastics which is an ugly industrial looking building.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 5:36 PM

Not sure on this one - not really to my taste colour wise; but then again we all have different styles. I personally would've pushed the building closer to the street and pushed the parking to the rear - that way you aren't seeing a big expanse of paved parking area at the front as you drive by. At least you'd have the building there; which could create interest.

I'm not a big fan of largly unpaved expanses of parking.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 8:11 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post

I'm not a big fan of largly unpaved expanses of parking.
I think the HT are the only ones that do.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 8:31 PM

Saying that reminds me of something, I didn't know the HT had their office or what ever in the Khyber building.

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 11:58 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

For anyone not local to the area. Pictures from a few weeks ago speak pretty much the same story today. Still at even ground level but a lot more wall supports and exterior finished now.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 1:47 AM

It's a pretty big floor plate per level, so its taking a while. they have most of the forms in place for the 1st floor slab. They did the water and sewer servicing out to Bayers Road last week and that really jammed up traffic. The contractor went beyond their 4:00pm deadline so traffic backed up everywhere.

Old Posted May 15, 2010, 1:31 AM

The rear side of this now has the 1st (ground) floor slab poured. What surprised me when I went around to the rear of this was how close this building will be to the Community Centre.

Old Posted May 15, 2010, 7:41 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The rear side of this now has the 1st (ground) floor slab poured. What surprised me when I went around to the rear of this was how close this building will be to the Community Centre.
Are all of the footing in place showing the entire footprint of the complex? If you can please get a picture sometime.

Old Posted May 15, 2010, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Saying that reminds me of something, I didn't know the HT had their office or what ever in the Khyber building.
All the more reason why that decrepit eyesore should be demolished.

Old Posted May 16, 2010, 5:23 PM

May 15th, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Are all of the footing in place showing the entire footprint of the complex? If you can please get a picture sometime.
It was hard to find a good angle to show it but I think the last photo shows it to a limited extent.

Old Posted May 16, 2010, 6:34 PM
Honored Member

Thanks for the photos. I am interested in seeing how this one turns out.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 12:37 AM

This one is taking it's time. The second floor is starting and some of the trades shoud be doing work there next week on the lower level

Old Posted Jun 13, 2010, 12:52 PM

Just two from yesterday;

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 6:13 PM

June 21, 2010

I only bothered taking one photo of this today;

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth