HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 1:07 PM

The Union Jack over the 'constabulary' is a nice touch.
Did you drop in to 'Two if by Sea'? The almond croissants are great. JET

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 8:23 PM

The design may have looked intriguing on the artist's conceptions originally, but as-built it is a real dog's breakfast. Not attractive at all.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 10:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I agree. I wanted to like it, but it's pretty hideous. The upper-level cladding is particularly terrible looking, but even if the materials were better the overall design is so busy and ungainly that it would still look awful.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 1:56 AM

I kinda feared this from the design. Didn't do anything for me then, or now. But its density.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 4:05 AM
we built this city

Suprisingly coming from me, but I like this one...

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 8:00 AM
Honored Member

I have only seen pictures of it. To me it looks interesting. Maybe it looks different in person.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 12:05 PM

I quite like this one. Sure it's not perfect but its still better than most of downtown Dartmouth.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 5:10 AM

this ones been done and all but i was in the area:

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 5:12 PM

It's not too bad - I think some of the cladding isn't what I would've chosen. But it's not too bad, I wouldn't put it in top 10 - but there are many redeeming aspects like the clock.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 2:04 PM

Not quite done according to this article:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1177175.html

Gordon

Old Posted Jun 26, 2010, 1:26 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Tibs

Me my girlfriend and baby went to Two If By Sea for the first time last night. It was later in the day so it was quiet there. We ordered Iced Cafe Mocha's. Very tasty and not at all pricey. I love the way the windows slid all the way open allowing you to feel outside without actually having to sit on the sidewalk. We couldn't try any food because they had pretty much sold out at 2pm in the afternoon. I still highly recommend this place but try to go when there is more treats available. Yay for Dartmouth on this one!

Last edited by Jstaleness; Jun 26, 2010 at 1:40 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2010, 2:16 PM

It’s the auction block for Founders Corner

Receiver says sale of condo building a rare event

By BILL POWER

Business Reporter

The storied Founders Corner condominium complex will be sold to the highest bidder.

“It’s not every day you see an auction for an entire 40-unit condominium building," receiv er Paul Goodman said in an interview Friday. Goodman is with BDO Canada Ltd .

The auction sale for the five storey building at the corner of Wentworth and Ochterloney streets in Dartmouth is set for July 29 at the offices of BDO Canada in Halifax.

Receivership auctions unfold pretty much the same as any other auction, with a major difference being the participa tion of the mortgage holder.

“In this case, the lender is into this building for about $11 million and is unlikely to let it go for a dollar," said Goodman.

Owners of about 20 occupied units in the building will be among those watching this latest development in the ambi tious project hatched in 2007 by

Nova New England Ltd.

Unsold units at the complex are listed with Harbourside Realty Ltd. in Dartmouth. Sta cey Wentzell is the Realtor.

Goodman said there are about 40 units in the building, in cluding some commercial spaces available on the ground level.

Addenda Capital Inc . put $10 million into the project before it stalled in January. Court docu ments indicate the company would invest about another million to complete construction and put it up for auction.

Additional details about the building and the auction are available through BDO Canada in Halifax.

Halifax’s Terry Brennan and his brother James Brennan, of Boston, are partners in Nova New England. They went through an exhaustive public consultation process before beginning construction.

They said at the time they wanted to come up with a build ing that would be welcomed in the neighbourhood after some heritage structures were demol ished to allow construction to proceed.

Workers were putting fin ishing touches on the Founders Corner building Friday.

The complex is near the Dart mouth ferry terminal and has many heritage features. It is fuelled by natural gas.

(bpower@herald.ca)

A receivership auction for Founders Corner at Wentworth and Ochterloney streets in Dartmouth will be held on July 29.

(CHRISTIAN LAFORCE / Staff)

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 2:49 PM

Backer buys Founders Corner

Addenda Capital Inc.

sole bidder at auction

By IAN FAIRCLOUGH

Staff Reporter

A Dartmouth condominium complex that was placed in receivership has been bought by the company that provided the financial backing for the project.

Founders Corner, a 40-unit building with some commercial space at the corner of Wentworth and Ochterloney streets in Dartmouth, was bought at auction Thursday by Addenda Capital Inc.

The Regina-based company put $10 million into the project before it was placed in receivership in January and another $1 million to finish construc tion.

Lawyers for the company made the minimum $700,000 bid for the complex.

No one else showed up to bid at the auction, conducted by receiver Paul Goodman of BDO Canada Ltd.

More than 20 people thought they would own their condos when they signed agreements last year but they have only been paying rent because nothing could be done to designate the building as a condominium complex until the financial issues were worked out. Now they will be able to own their units and create a condominium associ ation, Goodman said.

Once all the units are purchased, Addenda will be clear of the building and the association will look after main tenance and running the building.

The rent being paid has gone to cover such things as lights, water, natural gas and other costs.

“The plan all along has been to finish the project and proceed to condominium registration," Goodman said. “The (pending condo unit) owners are quite anxious to have the registration, to use their own skills to manage the condomi nium corporation as it was intended to be."

He said the sale to Addenda should also ease the minds of those people now renting units they expected to own.

“It takes away the uncertainty that might have happened if some other party had bought the building because someone else might have only bought it for rentals," he said.

The sale becomes final next month when the deed to the property is handed over to Addenda.

The project was started by Nova New England Ltd. in 2007.

(ifairclough@herald.ca)

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 11:53 PM

Once again HRM is jerking a project around. Apparently some of the overhangs and decoration on this building overhang a HRM ROW or sidewalk by a few inches. The owners sought to buy the sliver of HRM land to do things nice and legal-like and not need an exemption from various bylaws, in order to let them actually close the agreements of purchase and sale that have been held up since the financial woes of the developer. Those people are in their units, but are paying rent.

But nooooooo.... HRM opposed the move and now wants to take the owners to court or something. Ridiculous. If they didn't like it they should not have approved it originally and their inspectors should have caught this during construction if it is not as was drawn on the plans.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Once again HRM is jerking a project around. Apparently some of the overhangs and decoration on this building overhang a HRM ROW or sidewalk by a few inches. The owners sought to buy the sliver of HRM land to do things nice and legal-like and not need an exemption from various bylaws, in order to let them actually close the agreements of purchase and sale that have been held up since the financial woes of the developer. Those people are in their units, but are paying rent.

But nooooooo.... HRM opposed the move and now wants to take the owners to court or something. Ridiculous. If they didn't like it they should not have approved it originally and their inspectors should have caught this during construction if it is not as was drawn on the plans.
I hope there is more to the story then what was reported in allnovascotia, if not HRM is now offically know as the "do not build or invest here" city.

I still find it strange that HRM has had a independant advisior state that the land value of this sliver is worth $98.00 per sqft.....

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 5:37 AM
積屍氣冥界波

Taken on 2006-09-17 before Founders Corner has started:

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SekishikiMeikaiHa View Post
Taken on 2006-09-17 before Founders Corner has started:

are you using a different camera now?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 3:53 PM
積屍氣冥界波

Yes, I am using a different camera now. That was taken with an older model of the camera I am using now. Why?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SekishikiMeikaiHa View Post
Yes, I am using a different camera now. That was taken with an older model of the camera I am using now. Why?
your current pictures are very sharp (they really POP, even making the Eastlink building look good), and this one wasn't as sharp; I wondered if it was a better camera or perhaps it was just that the light wasn't as good on the founders picture.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth