HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
Site doesn't seem to work.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 9:38 PM

Weird, that link works for me just fine.

And yes that is the development SightSeer was asking about.

https://builtbycw.com/

You can navigate to it from there.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 1:34 AM

Must be a firewall issue on my end. Is this it?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 2:06 AM

Went on the SLC Planning walking tour focused on adaptive reuse in the Granary District in SLC. The star of the show was the Industry SLC building https://www.industryoffice.com/slc , 300,000 square feet of office space in an old manufacturing building on the southwest corner of 600 South and 500W. Well under construction. Will house 1,000 workers. The interesting bit was that they also own a lot of the block to the east where the EVO campus https://www.evo.com/locations/salt-lake-city is being built, where Q factor, the developers of Industry SLC, are planning a residential project, a couple of office buildings a big parking garage in the center of the block, there will be a pedestrian walkway, etc. Also they are redoing 500 W between 600 S and 700 S to bring in wide sidewalk/plaza type of space on each side of the street and reducing the road to two lanes. In addition they are the ones behind the A&Z produce and NAC projects. All in all they own about 30 acres in that general vicinity. Being skeptical about big projects getting done in SLC, I asked about the timeline for all the projects and was given 5 years or less. Talking to the Q Factor CEO, Jason Winkler, he was very confident/adamant that this would all happen. "It's going to get done". Would be transformative for the Granary District and up towards Pioneer Park.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Must be a firewall issue on my end. Is this it? ...
This:

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCLvr View Post
Went on the SLC Planning walking tour focused on adaptive reuse in the Granary District in SLC. The star of the show was the Industry SLC building https://www.industryoffice.com/slc , 300,000 square feet of office space in an old manufacturing building on the southwest corner of 600 South and 500W. Well under construction. Will house 1,000 workers. The interesting bit was that they also own a lot of the block to the east where the EVO campus https://www.evo.com/locations/salt-lake-city is being built, where Q factor, the developers of Industry SLC, are planning a residential project, a couple of office buildings a big parking garage in the center of the block, there will be a pedestrian walkway, etc. Also they are redoing 500 W between 600 S and 700 S to bring in wide sidewalk/plaza type of space on each side of the street and reducing the road to two lanes. In addition they are the ones behind the A&Z produce and NAC projects. All in all they own about 30 acres in that general vicinity. Being skeptical about big projects getting done in SLC, I asked about the timeline for all the projects and was given 5 years or less. Talking to the Q Factor CEO, Jason Winkler, he was very confident/adamant that this would all happen. "It's going to get done". Would be transformative for the Granary District and up towards Pioneer Park.
This is definitely an area with a tremendous amount of potential and I'm interested to see how it evolves in the next 5-10 years. However, I don't think the area will ever live up to its potential as long as the 500 South/600 South ramps off of the freeway continue as they are. People still have extremely high speeds coming off the freeway on 600 South, and the 500 South/500 West intersection is huge. The 500 South onramp would be much easier to repurpose, but the 600 South offramp would require some serious reconstruction to allow for a pedestrian-friendly connection along 500 West. In an ideal world, they would turn 500 South and 600 South into two-way roads, and consolidate into one interchange. Of course, that would require the most reconstruction of all, but I think it would be a worthwhile investment.

On another note, I unfortunately wasn't able to make this walking tour, but I am planning on going to the walking tour of Sugarhouse later this month, and hopefully the rest of them too. If I would have known about it/planned better in advance, I probably would have tried to go to all of them.

Last edited by bob rulz; Jun 26, 2019 at 1:50 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Good Find! They must have just put this up recently. I had a previous photo on the Compilation Thread that had disappeared, and I couldn't find any updated pics that they would allow to copy.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 12:33 PM

Salt Lake's hopes of another Olympics officially shifts to 2030 or beyond

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ics-hopes.html

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 1:05 PM

Jay Evensen: Utah has to get prison construction right

...At a meeting of the Legislature’s Executive Offices and Criminal Justice Appropriations Subcommittee on Tuesday, corrections officials said the state’s prison population grew more during the last year than at any time in at least the last 20 years. A total of 257 more inmates entered the system, leading to a total count of 6,766 spread out among state prisons in Draper and Gunnison and in several county jails that contract with the state to house certain prisoners for a fee.

The report on prisoner growth said the state has only 199 beds left for future miscreants. Draper’s aging facility could house 4,000. However, the new prison being constructed to replace it, near Salt Lake International Airport, is being built to accommodate just 3,600.

You do the math...

Construction continues on the new Utah State Prison west of the Salt Lake International Airport in Salt Lake City on Tuesday, June 18, 2019. Photo By Steve Griffin, Deseret News

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:12 PM

There are few things in current SLC/state projects that make me rage as hard as the prison move.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 8:17 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
There are few things in current SLC/state projects that make me rage as hard as the prison move.
I'm glad the Prison is moving. I'm outraged at the cost and the fact that it'll have less beds. I'm mean, for real?! Why on earth is it going to have LESS CAPACITY than the current prison?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 12:15 AM
Space Magi

"University of Utah Selects Populous as Designer for South End Zone Expansion"
https://populous.com/university-of-u...zone-expansion

The rendering on that website is slightly different from the one released last year:

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
How so?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 1:40 AM

I want to watch the city decline to supply utilities to the prison. Make them truck their own water in and their own sewage out. Maybe we could put the prison in Greg Hughes’ backyard, or maybe shove it up his ***.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
I'm glad the Prison is moving. I'm outraged at the cost and the fact that it'll have less beds. I'm mean, for real?! Why on earth is it going to have LESS CAPACITY than the current prison?
Maybe if Utah stopped throwing non-violent drug offenders in prison, we wouldn't need so many beds.

If this was paired with meaningful criminal justice reform, then I would be more inclined to support the move. As it is now, it's obviously just a way to get more development money into Draper and screw over Salt Lake City.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 2:02 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
I've got mixed feelings.

From a sociological standpoint, I like the idea of the state being forced to consider more reasonable sentencing and early parole for non-violent offenders. No matter how many beds we build, judges/juries will find a way to fill every last one of them.

From a value standpoint, I share your viewpoint. The cost over-runs are ... worrisome. If it's simply a geotech problem (bad soil), I can understand. However, that *should* have come out when they were determining different sites. (My bias: I wanted the prison to rebuild ON-SITE, simply because I found schadenfreude in Utah's wealthiest suburbs bearing some social cost by housing the prison. Oh well. Yet one more way Utah craps on my hometown of Magna.)

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthbrown4 View Post
It seems Moda Luxe has applied for a building permit. Between this, the 255 State project and the two projects on the intersection of 200S 200 E the area is going to look drastically different in three years or so.

I really like this rendering of Moda Luxe. Show's some good height and also ground level retail and restaurants. I think it will be a great addition to the block.

https://imgur.com/a/8Vz7xOb

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 5:56 AM

Here's and update on the Morton on 243 South 200 East.

https://imgur.com/a/enY236K

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 12:42 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
I really like this rendering of Moda Luxe. Show's some good height and also ground level retail and restaurants. I think it will be a great addition to the block.

https://imgur.com/a/8Vz7xOb
Agreed. Most of the mid-blocks in downtown should have something like this in downtown. (Height/density wise) Which is why it makes so little sense to have that funny named six story project on the corner to the north.

Also, with the Morton, that weird mortuary next to it needs to go.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 1:55 AM

I noticed some progress on a few projects this week:

1. Paperbox demo is nearly complete.
2. Soil samples were being taken in the area of the Gateway Hotel.
3. Soil samples were being taken at the Sears Lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West