HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 10:06 PM

Yes but the habitants expropriated their land from the native population.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 10:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Yes but the habitants expropriated their land from the native population.
Expropriated? I think you might mean "usurped"? In any event, this could trigger a fairly lengthy debate.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 10:47 PM

So how about those Calgary Flames, just over halfway into the season and they are Canada's best team! I expected them to challenge for the division this year, but not the conference or even possibly the Presidents Trophy!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
So how about those Calgary Flames, just over halfway into the season and they are Canada's best team! I expected them to challenge for the division this year, but not the conference or even possibly the Presidents Trophy!
I was expecting them to contend for a playoff spot, as they were solid a playoff team last year before Smith got injured and Tkachuk was gone for the rest of the season. Also the fact that Monahan was playing through an injury last year.

I wasn't expecting the Lindholm effect. Also wasn't sure how Bill Peters would be, but it seems like a new coach always gets them into the playoffs the first year. I wasn't expecting Hanafin to be as solid as he's been. I was expecting Brodie to come back around this year.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 11:58 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_yyc_ca View Post
I was expecting them to contend for a playoff spot, as they were solid a playoff team last year before Smith got injured and Tkachuk was gone for the rest of the season. Also the fact that Monahan was playing through an injury last year.

I wasn't expecting the Lindholm effect. Also wasn't sure how Bill Peters would be, but it seems like a new coach always gets them into the playoffs the first year. I wasn't expecting Hanafin to be as solid as he's been. I was expecting Brodie to come back around this year.
Count me in as being pleasantly surprised by Bill Peters. When we hired him I was expecting another lacklustre bargain coach. Especially because of his lack of playoff experience.

I've only been to one game this season, but the atmosphere was amazing and the team itself felt completely different from any other year. In the past they would sit back when they got a lead. Now it starts a feeding frenzy for more goals. I expect them to go far in the post season. I feel more confident now that Rittich has taken the mantle from Smith.

Last edited by O-tacular; Jan 9, 2019 at 1:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 4:39 AM

Treliving looks like a GM of the year candidate with all the moves he made in the off season...notwithstanding Neal's disappointing first half.

Jets win 7-4 tonight. It appears the Jets problems on offense are over at least for now. 12 goals for in the past 2 games.

Wheeler and Fefe are back in the top-10 for individual points.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Treliving looks like a GM of the year candidate with all the moves he made in the off season...notwithstanding Neal's disappointing first half.

Jets win 7-4 tonight. It appears the Jets problems on offense are over at least for now. 12 goals for in the past 2 games.

Wheeler and Fefe are back in the top-10 for individual points.
Laine is conspicuous in his scoresheet absence after that red-hot November. Nice to see the rest of the team getting in there, though. The goals have been spread around to a remarkable extent lately.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 3:04 PM
Community Guy

...what to do, what to do.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 5:17 PM
arf

^Everyone except management has at least some ideas of what to do with the Oilers.

Trade everyone except McDavid and start again with the draft. No players coming back in trades, just draft picks.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 5:18 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
New owner and clean house down from there.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Everyone except management has at least some ideas of what to do with the Oilers.

Trade everyone except McDavid and start again with the draft. No players coming back in trades, just draft picks.
I'm sure McDavid would love to be a part of that project for the next 5 years.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 6:02 PM
arf

^It probably has a better chance for success in the next five than the current roster.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 6:26 PM

^^^ Ya what if Gretzky had no supporting cast in Edmonton all those years?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 6:42 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Time for some bold moves!!!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 6:55 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
I've given up on them (again) for the season. Was really expecting an improvement but this team continues to disappoint me. Football is winding down and now I've lost interest in hockey, there isn't much to watch or follow now until September.

It's getting to the point where I am close to giving up on the Oilers organization entirely. Absolutely pathetic for the past dozen years other than the one playoff run two seasons ago. They are getting perilously close to being one of the worst sports franchises (as an organization) every - in any sport. Even the Cleveland Browns look like they might turn things around.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 6:59 PM

Did Vegas not get the message that they were supposed to take a big step backward this year?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 7:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Its awesome that calgary is up there, but with no playoff experiance and the second half 9f the season here, it wont be easy. This is when the Jets took off last year and were unstopable, this is where and when teams go into overdrive. Also you have played alot more games the the Jets and Leafs so 2nd place will be short lived. No on os catchimg up to Tampa. And you dont want that presidents trophy. You win that you lose the cup. Its been proven hear after year. Tampa will be so worn out by playoff time i wouldnt be surprised they are out in first or second round.

I expect Calgary to get to second round .
I expect Jets t9 ger to 3rd round and maybe the cup.
I expect the Leafs to get to second or third round this year, but not cup ready.
I expect Montreal to make the playoffs, but out in first round.
Colorado, Wild , and Dallas will all be fighting for a wild card or 3 spot for the central.
Edmonton still has a wild card chance. They can score.
Ottawa is getting number one draft lol

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
You mean playoff bound Colorado is getting first overall.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Its awesome that calgary is up there, but with no playoff experiance and the second half 9f the season here, it wont be easy. This is when the Jets took off last year and were unstopable, this is where and when teams go into overdrive. Also you have played alot more games the the Jets and Leafs so 2nd place will be short lived. No on os catchimg up to Tampa. And you dont want that presidents trophy. You win that you lose the cup. Its been proven hear after year. Tampa will be so worn out by playoff time i wouldnt be surprised they are out in first or second round.

I expect the Leafs to get to second or third round this year, but not cup ready.
Colorado, Wild , and Dallas will all be fighting for a wild card or 3 spot for the central.
I see the other 6 Canadian teams on your list.
I expect the Canucks be just out of the wild card race.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 7:25 PM

Quote:

Who says the Flames have no playoff experience? it's not a massive amount, but the Flames have 3 rounds since 2015 (sadly both times the Ducks ended the run) and guys like Giordano and Neal have much more. The Flames playoff hope pretty much entirely rest on the shoulders of Rittich, and he is where the team falls short in terms of experience. And saying we have played way more games than the Leafs or Jets is a bit of a stretch, we have played 2 more, and the Jets and Leafs would have to win those 2 games in hand for it to matter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada