HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
for some reason I thought the buildings were all being demo, but I'm wrong, existing is staying / redeveloped on west wing and residential tower being added.
Well they're opening up Edmonton street to be open air. Looks like shoppers may have access directly from this new open air street. I assume they're demolishing east of Edmonton? Maybe?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 3:29 AM

Great. Is the Prarie Exchange going to be a new theatre? Do they currently have a home?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
Great. Is the Prarie Exchange going to be a new theatre? Do they currently have a home?
Guessing you live out of province.
They (PTE) have called Portage Place home on the 3rd floor for decades? Since 1989.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Well they're opening up Edmonton street to be open air. Looks like shoppers may have access directly from this new open air street. I assume they're demolishing east of Edmonton? Maybe?
I thought the foundation was built to support a tower on the east end so I assume they would at least use the pad but I dunno

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:36 PM

I didn't think the plan was to demo the existing pad at the east end. Just build on top. I assume most of the spaces throughout the mall will be completely gutted to the bare structure.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:38 PM

The health care tower (east) and the apartment tower (west) are both using pre-existing foundations from the original build.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 3:19 PM
What could go wrong?

There will be significant demolition to the east side envelope and some structure but they will be reusing the foundation pad.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 3:11 AM

I have heard that in the parking level there is a big BellMTS space that is used for fiber distribution for the downtown area.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 5:58 AM

Thanks to cheswick for posting the initial design layout.
I feel it gives us a good idea of how condensed the retail offering might be and likely successful by keeping to a minimal amount.
SO likely between services, retail, medical offices, community etc, food services/cafes etc, less than 30.
I am wondering if the skywalks will have retail once again or just narrowed down the bare minimum.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
I am wondering if the skywalks will have retail once again or just narrowed down the bare minimum.
Could that depend on who owns the skywalks? From a CBC news article posted April 5 2024:

"Ludlow also announced that True North will sell the walkway connecting Portage Place to the former Bay building to SCO for $1."

I guess True North will still own the east skywalk?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Could that depend on who owns the skywalks? From a CBC news article posted April 5 2024:

"Ludlow also announced that True North will sell the walkway connecting Portage Place to the former Bay building to SCO for $1."

I guess True North will still own the east skywalk?
That was how I interpreted it as well.
I imagine both could have some retail with the one connecting to The former Bay building perhaps have more indigenous themed articles for sale.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:22 AM

I'm hoping the skywalks will be re-skinned with just glass so they look cleaner and lighter. The retail should be minimal, just a few small kiosks along the center and maybe some seating. The current design seemed flawed from day one. Those built-in retail spaces are surrounded by glass and offer little space for tenants to neatly store supplies and equipment out of sight. I suppose the architects envisioned things like fancy dresses and other pretty things being displayed in the outer windows, but in reality, it was cardboard boxes, cables and wires, and bent blinds pressed up against the glass. It just looked cluttered and low-rent to me. I always felt the skywalk's design was heavy handed, and that ersatz post-modern facade was destined to look outdated in no time. I mean... look at it now. Yuck.

Aside from that nitpicking, I'm really excited about this project. I'm sure it will much better serve the needs of downtown.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan