HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 7:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post

Yes, they do. Especially racialized and/or trans folks.
There is that damned intersectionality again.

My guess is that BIPOC gay people who argue that Canada is a living hell (pardon the hyperbole, though maybe not...) probably have the visible minority aspect of their identity as the locus of their grievances.

As for trans people, that's a different story. I don't think they should be lumped into the "gay" category, at least not wantonly.

I mean, it's a complex identity, and it's generally argued by the trans community itself that not all trans people are "gay".

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 7:22 PM

Lol how many race threads have we had here masquerading as other topics, with the same handful of white gen-X-ers railing against the new "woke" order

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 7:22 PM

Ironically racialization means “ascribing ethnic or racial identities to a relationship, social practice, or group that did not identify itself as such” which is exactly what woke white people are doing to non-white people.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 7:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Ironically racialization means “ascribing ethnic or racial identities to a relationship, social practice, or group that did not identify itself as such” which is exactly what woke white people are doing to non-white people.

In France there is actually a substantial amount of pushback from some high-profile minority people when it comes to this, as they resent always being portrayed as hapless, hopeless victims like Little Bo Peep and her lost sheep.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is that damned intersectionality again.

My guess is that BIPOC gay people who argue that Canada is a living hell (pardon the hyperbole, though maybe not...) probably have the visible minority aspect of their identity as the locus of their grievances.

As for trans people, that's a different story. I don't think they should be lumped into the "gay" category, at least not wantonly.

I mean, it's a complex identity, and it's generally argued by the trans community itself that not all trans people are "gay".
Yes, there's intersectionality. I agree with both of your points here, generally. A non-white queer person will often experience racism before homophobia or transphobia (if only because it is immediately visible from birth). But there is compounding harm when someone is both racist and homophobic and/or transphobic.

That is a good catch on the trans thing, my bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Lol how many race threads have we had here masquerading as other topics, with the same handful of white gen-X-ers railing against the new "woke" order
I don't know but it really feels like these threads shouldn't exist

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 7:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Trust me if the game was in Scotland God Save the Queen would be greeted with the same. The vitriol is so counterproductive. Trust me, most of those who boo each others anthems are not the Leaders of Tomorrow.

Scotland hates England.....England is indifferent and have bigger rivalries to worry about.
About half of the scottish players play in england and a number of the scottish players were born in England and have only lived in england but have scottish parents/grandparents.

I predict a tie (draw).
Yes, I know.

The typical English attitude to this is probably:

"We don't hate you guys. Actually, we don't think about you much. But if you insist on being cocky arseholes, then sure we'll give you back a bit of what you're dishing out at us. We can play that game."

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 7:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
In France there is actually a substantial amount of pushback from some high-profile minority people when it comes to this, as they resent always being portrayed as hapless, hopeless victims like Little Bo Peep and her lost sheep.
On the other hand, AFAIK, there haven't been very many high-profile Quebecois that have pushed back against the image of the Quebecois always being portrayed as hapless, hopeless victims like Little Bo Peep and her lost sheep.

thestar

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 7:37 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
I don't know but it really feels like these threads shouldn't exist
Because they shouldn't.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 7:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

But cancel culture is nothing but an alt-right myth, right guys?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 7:41 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
You're free to discuss these topics literally anywhere on the internet. SSP is not a right granted to you by birth to go off-topic with in every thread, and equating it as an equivalent is disappointing if not expected.

But hey, there's a footy match on featuring not-Canada, so maybe we can discuss that, too. Or France - yes let's talk about France.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 7:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
why not ask those people calling for a boycott of the NFL due to black players' taking a knee through while the (wretched) American Anthem is being warbled...er, sung?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 8:01 PM

Split up Canada Day? In a word, no.

I'm sick to death of having to cancel every last thing because someone will be offended. Everyone is offended by something and if we follow this path then we might as well just have holidays with number...............Happy 8 Day!

Christmas & Easter? How Judeo-Christian centered. Labour Day? An affront to capitalism. New Years? Very insensitive towards Chinese Canadians. Remembrance Day? A horrific glorification of the military industrial complex.

Where exactly is this going to end?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 8:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
why not ask those people calling for a boycott of the NFL due to black players' taking a knee through while the (wretched) American Anthem is being warbled...er, sung?
I guess it's a good thing I've always thought the calls for a boycott (and also spurning of Kaepernick) was stupid then.

Although the US anthem is hardly wretched IMO. It's heard way too often (movies, TV, sports) especially if you're Canadian.

But it's still a pretty darn good one.

I say that even though it's not my personal favourite.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 8:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
You're free to discuss these topics literally anywhere on the internet. SSP is not a right granted to you by birth to go off-topic with in every thread, and equating it as an equivalent is disappointing if not expected.

But hey, there's a footy match on featuring not-Canada, so maybe we can discuss that, too. Or France - yes let's talk about France.
Well, MolsonEx is even trying to bring Elvis Gratton into the discussion, so I guess anything goes.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 8:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

At least Proof Sheet was right about the soccer game...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
AGREED, this is so tiresome. Another thread populated by the usual suspects hawking on about "cancel culture" and "woketarianism" until the cows come home.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 9:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I don't understand the conflict at all. Yes, some people are too woke and miserable c***s who just NEED to be angry and will never know dopamine or seratonin... that's true. The white people shouting at other white people about Royal Newfoundland Constabulary officers being at the St. John's Pride Parade, for example.

And some people are just... referring to someone as "they" is like trying to change the time on a VCR or use a computer. They're that comically awful.

But most people are in between and kinda normal. They wish no harm, are willing to learn, and are happy and fulfilled with their social efforts. Most people on all sides are normal. Even most American Republicans are half decent if you have them over for morning tea. That's where the majority of us lie. It hasn't changed, and will never change. It's human nature.

So just... relax.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 10:17 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Most people on all sides are normal. Even most American Republicans are half decent if you have them over for morning tea.
There is a guy named Daryl Davis who is black and has befriended many KKK members. He recounts stories of them telling him he has a latent violent gene shared by all black people, etc. Apparently he has a collection of hoods and robes given to him by the people he spoke to who later left the group.

And then you've got those who are convinced that their uncle is utterly beyond redemption because he listens to Tucker Carlson.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
They are actually going to mount Sir John A's statue on a new plinth in the cemetery where he was laid to rest, which is actually a genius solution.

The statue will still exist, and it is legitimate to place the statue in the cemetery where he is buried. The statue will no longer be on public land, but is in a venue where anyone who wants to see the statue can still do so.

At the same time, since it is in a cemetery, it is on "sacred" land. If aboriginal burial grounds are sacred, then aren't "settler" graveyards also sacred??? If the land is sacred, then protests and deliberate vandalism directed towards the statue should be considered a sin by the aboriginal leadership. At the very least, the optics of such actions suddenly become much more problematic for them.

Again, a genius solution!
OK, what about in every other city? Particularly here in Ottawa. And when this reaches Sir Wilfrid Laurier and William Lyon MacKenzie King? These politicians can also be faulted on racial matters. I have already seen a comment on this board demanding the removal of Queen Elizabeth's statue in Ottawa, our official head of state.

We can all be offended by all sorts of things if we choose to allow this to consume us. In most cases, this is a choice, or worse, a power trip.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 5:52 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Split up Canada Day? In a word, no.

I'm sick to death of having to cancel every last thing because someone will be offended. Everyone is offended by something and if we follow this path then we might as well just have holidays with number...............Happy 8 Day!

Christmas & Easter? How Judeo-Christian centered. Labour Day? An affront to capitalism. New Years? Very insensitive towards Chinese Canadians. Remembrance Day? A horrific glorification of the military industrial complex.

Where exactly is this going to end?
Hear hear!

I generally don't butt my head into threads like this, but the whole "oh no, you can't do xyz because so and so will be offended thing" is getting a bit...ridiculous at points. Generally, theres a good few examples which make sense, but in cases like what this thread is talking about....to modify Canada Day....it leans on trying to be socially progressive (or whatever political buzzword it is) or P.C. to appease the masses. Yes, we as a country carry a legacy behind us from the mistreatment of Indigenous folks, but we're ccoming to learn to deal with it and now make reparations and reconcile with our past. Modifying or outright replacing a state holiday meant to celebrate the contributions we've made today and through past generations to the development of this country shouldn't be done solely because of past actions which, yes, they are horrific and a terible part of our history...do not mean we as a country should carry a sense of shame and gloom about indefinitely whilst wondering how we can repay or make up for out actions. They are in the past, they happened, and we can reconcile.

Keep in mind, I fully support the idea of educating our youth and bringing to the spotlight the things Indigenous peoples have done across the continent, things they learned and are notable. I think it's important to reflect on things like the Oka Crisis, and understand that while it will take a while for indigenous peoples to be better represented or respected in Canada, we're making efforts. (even if they are slow on a federal level at times)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada