Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Nov 23, 2005, 4:40 AM
Posh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost carolinian
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007
No way!!!

You yourself just said that Japanese car sales started taking off in the mid-80's. Now you're saying that their market share has been declining????

If the Japanese market share has been declining, then how come GM is having to lay off 30,000 due to overcapacity and declining market share? (Ditto Ford)
Pick up an almanac and look at the hard DATA. Share on the rise from 1980, peaked in 1986, on the decline from there.
Japanese market share is currently at an all-time high:
--> Click here <--

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost carolinian
You're basing your entire argument on your demographic area. I live in yuppie Volvo-land, and it's primarily Japanese and European where I live.
This is even more the case on the West Coast (where I live) than any other part of the country.

About half of the cars sold here are foreign - mostly Japanese. It's been like this almost ever since I moved here in '88.

And in spite of that, I *still* see far more old American cars on the road here than Japanese cars. I see very few Japanese cars from the 80's on the road anymore, while American cars from the same decade are still fairly common.

Quote:
WRT your second comment, I believe that all boils down to good old supply and demand does it not?
Yes, it's supply and demand. Demand has been greater and increasing for Japanese cars, and declining for American cars. In other words, domestic makers' market share has been going down, and foreign (mostly Japanese) market share has been going up.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States