HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 10:32 PM

any updated illustrations of the design

like upgraded photos?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 12:37 AM
New Yorker for life

You need a passcode to get a look at current plans from Silverstein Properties…
https://www.silversteinproperties.co...d-trade-center

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 8:32 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The wind wasn't an issue. It's not the first time radome would have been used at great height. But what further proves that issue for the spire not being complete a lie is the fact that not all of the designs for the spire were to include it. They could have just gone with the open, lattice version of the spire. Durst just needed to cut costs on the overall construction, and that's just one way they did it.
Imo 1WTC's spire should not count as an architectural element by the CTBUH. It was a political symbolic decision to count the spire and it doesn't align with how any other tower is measured.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Imo 1WTC's spire should not count as an architectural element by the CTBUH. It was a political symbolic decision to count the spire and it doesn't align with how any other tower is measured.
The pencil thin spire on the NY Times building is just as bad, if not worse! And it does not seem to be aging that well despite being less than 20 years old...

Last edited by DCReid; Apr 19, 2023 at 12:35 AM. Reason: edit

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Agreed. I mean like it or not the height is there, so it can’t be ignored but it’s a cheap easy way to add height when in fact the Tower’s roof should’ve been 1776’ honestly.

It’s like if you want to stick it to the terrorists, then that would’ve been a more optimal way to do it instead of just building one single Tower with no outdoor deck, no higher indoor deck, no Twin, and just so happens to be the roof equivalent of the OG One WTC’s North Tower. It’s a beautiful tower but it's a major downgrade from what existed before and the PA could’ve did better. Hence why the PA should’ve just sold the Tower ages ago for another developer to take over the reigns and build back better. They weren’t about breaking records anymore, which was a tremendous shame. It became about politics and symbolism, meanwhile they couldn't have dropped the name Freedom Tower fast enough. There would've been zero debate among the CTBUH members ranking One World Trade taller than Willis if they had built a higher roof. It is what it is I guess.

I get it though, from a business and aesthetic standpoint, a 1776’ Tower to the roof would’ve been more out of place than the Twins were.

They just need to get 2 WTC up there already. Just drop the office space aspect and make it a hotel or mixed use. It’s a shame 21 1/2 years later and there are still no definitive plans to build 2 WTC nor do we have a tentative timeline at least to give us an idea as to when it could be done or when construction could resume since it still needs an anchor tenant. We still don't even have a final design plan either. Silverstein isn't getting any younger.

I mean why not just build the podium like they did with 3 and just resume construction when a tenant is signed on? It’s a national disgrace. Otherwise it just feels like they really have no intention on building it at this point. Weren’t they supposed to start 5 by now too? Meanwhile Hudson Yards Phase 1 started way after and is practically already complete in under a decade smh.

Don’t use a public agency to do what a private developer can do far better, more efficiently, and doesn’t require the public to finance their projects or pay off their debt and construction costs otherwise you get over budget and behind schedule results. You have to love bureaucracy.

Last edited by NewYorker2009; Apr 19, 2023 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 1:17 AM
Show me the blueprints

I think 1WTC would have been better off if they had rejected all height symbolism. The tower should have been taller because the LM skyline needed a more dramatic pinnacle. The spire is completely unneccesary and without the skin is closer to hideous. Incredibly disappointing. The inpulse to use the symbolic heights for patriotic purposes after 9/11 is understandible, but ultimately dubious and lamentible IMO.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 2:35 AM
DENNAB

EDIT: duplicate post, can a mod please delete?

Last edited by Zapatan; Apr 19, 2023 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 2:35 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I think 1WTC would have been better off if they had rejected all height symbolism. The tower should have been taller because the LM skyline needed a more dramatic pinnacle. The spire is completely unneccesary and without the skin is closer to hideous. Incredibly disappointing. The inpulse to use the symbolic heights for patriotic purposes after 9/11 is understandible, but ultimately dubious and lamentible IMO.
Agreed, I hope someone tops it someday height wise and / or adds the radome as intended.

The spire looks good at night, and they have added some radome to it in certain areas but still...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 4:20 AM
New Yorker for life

As lovely as this conversation is, it's time to get the discussion back on Tower 2.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 12:44 AM
Ann Arbor, Pale Blue Dot

This particular vantage looks very impressive and somewhat evokes that powerful, mechanical feel of the original WTC. The whole thing looks solid and is very unique.

Quote:
I've been saying it, but although I liked that design, the diamond topped version was only notable for that diamond top. Remove it, and the design was not noteworthy. BIG's version fit in more with the Freedom Tower, it seemed to lean into it from some angles. People refer to the "stacked boxes" of the BIG design, but in reality, that really depended on what side of the tower you were viewing.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 2:06 PM
New Yorker for life

The way the complex is now, without tower 2, it doesn't appear as a grouping on the skyline. But with that missing piece in place, it will appear more so.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 2:19 PM

I hope the developers surprise us with a height increase. I know I know, wishful thinking at best. And I do know the foundations already set.

But it would be great if they surprised us with something like a 500 M tall tower here.

Or even besides height, maybe a different color of glass? Idk just something to make it iconic.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 10:16 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
But it would be great if they surprised us with something like a 500 M tall tower here.
The odds of that happening are tiny.

I'm happy enough to see a building with a roof height beyond 400+ meters accompany 1WTC.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 12:57 PM

Yes obviously I know that^

I was just saying hopefully they do something to make this one more iconic. Though I know the chances are low.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 12:45 AM
Ann Arbor, Pale Blue Dot

Quote:
The way the complex is now, without tower 2, it doesn't appear as a grouping on the skyline. But with that missing piece in place, it will appear more so.
Preach.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
I hope the developers surprise us with a height increase. I know I know, wishful thinking at best. And I do know the foundations already set.

Or even besides height, maybe a different color of glass? Idk just something to make it iconic.
No, it needs to have a appropriate height for where it fits in the complex plus similar glass to the others.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySky View Post
No, it needs to have a appropriate height for where it fits in the complex plus similar glass to the others.
No, it doesn't. It will simply because that's the cheapest option. But it absolutely does not have too.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 8:41 AM

Does anyone have access to this article from CoStar: https://www.costar.com/article/92063...t-finished-yet

This is the most recent article that had told of plans Larry Silverstein had for the site of Two WTC. The other article was this: https://www.ebroadsheet.com/the-broa...-trade-center/.

Needless to say, don't believe any rumors or leaks of renderings until there are actually construction or rendering plans posted publicly on silversteinproperties.com/wtc.com/officialwordtradcenter.com, a release of a formal time table for construction and/or actual construction equipment visible at the site of Two WTC, the last of which was during the construction of the Oculus Beer Garden in late 2020.

From a video rendering posted on a Tribeca Tribune article https://tribecacitizen.com/2023/03/0...omment-page-1/ and starting at 1:16, it looks like the northern part of Greenwich Street separating the site of PAC and Two WTC will be narrowed and trees planted along that section of Greenwich Street, along with the section of Fulton Street bordering Two WTC.

Beginning to think that these renderings http://www.gabellinisheppard.com/arc...e-center-plaza are for an eventual, future temporary plaza at the site of Two WTC with more trees and metal planters, once construction/narrowing of the northern portion of Greenwich Street following completion of the PAC is complete.

Already there are construction vehicles and digging machines visible to the east of the PAC, as well as signs that the ground is being dug up in portions of that area. Perhaps going into 2024 after the PAC is complete and open, construction of the road sections near Greenwich and Fulton and Vesey Streets, as well as a remodel of the plaza to the east of the Two WTC stump, will be in progress.

The temporary site that may be constructed and trees that will be planted reminds me in a way of a picture posted by The Two Towers on skyscrapercity.com forums of the temporary site that was present at that site of the Vista (later Marriott Hotel) in the late 1970s in the original WTC.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 12:43 AM
New Yorker for life

A long shot for this site, but keeping tabs on those looking for large chunks of space...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uverify%20wall

Jefferies Explores Moving, Expanding Bank’s NYC Office Space
Bank is looking for new offices but may opt to stay put
Jefferies is currently at 520 Madison Ave. in Manhattan

ByNatalie Wong and Katherine Doherty
April 26, 2023

Quote:
Jefferies Financial Group Inc. is exploring options for more office space in Manhattan as its headquarters lease is set to expire near the end of the decade.

The New York-based bank is seeking roughly 600,000 square feet (55,740 square meters) of space, according to people familiar with the matter who asked not to be identified citing confidential information.

A space that large would be bigger than the roughly 460,000 square feet Jefferies has at its current spot at 520 Madison Ave., a 43-story building owned by Tishman Speyer. The bank, which hired brokerage Cushman & Wakefield for its search, could also decide to stay put at the Madison Avenue tower, one of the people said.

With large lease expirations on the horizon, a handful of big finance firms are looking to potentially upgrade to newer spaces in areas such as Midtown Manhattan or Hudson Yards. While New York’s office vacancies have hit record heights, tenants who still want space are seeking the highest-quality offices in newer developments.

Other banks are on the hunt as well. The US unit of Tokyo-based Nomura Holdings Inc. is also looking for new offices, Bloomberg reported Tuesday.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 12:54 AM

Seems like Silverstein has dropped the ball at a number of these opportunities the past decade, Newscorp being the biggest of the lot. Hard to sell downtown as a landing point these days I guess. Plenty of smaller leases, and even a couple of leases in the 6 digits, but no blockbuster deals in awhile.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction