HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 6:12 PM
E pluribus unum

Stupid Question for Phoenix Forumers (Light Rail)

Hi guys, maybe one of you Phoenecians can help me out with this:

I just moved back to Phoenix from Southern California after a five year absence, and I'm looking to move to an apartment in Tempe (somewhere along University Drive west of Mill), but I work in Midtown Phoenix.

Once the light rail is up and running, I'd like to be able to take it to my work (I'm at the old Park Central Mall on Central between Osborne and Thomas), but was wondering if anyone knew if there are going to be park-and-rides anywhere near Mill Avenue in Downtown Tempe that I'd be able to use? I have a second job on Sixth and Mill in Tempe and in all the time I've driven around the area, I've yet to see one.

I'm living with my parents in Ahwatukee right now and the commute is an absolute nightmare. With my lead foot, I figure it'd be better for someone else to get me to/from my place of work once I finally save up enough money to get a cheap-o apartment somewhere close to Downtown Tempe. Does anyone know of any apartments around that area that are fairly inexpensive, but aren't run-down, that you'd recommend? Once light rail is up and running, does anyone know how expensive a monthly pass from Valley Metro would be? I don't figure it'd be any worse than a months worth of gas.

Since so much has changed in the time I've been away, I haven't been able to keep up with all the developments and whatnot, so any information you have about the light rail/park-and-ride/apartments and everything would be greatly appreciated!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 6:27 PM
Dbacks baby!

Here is a link to a map of the Tempe section of the light rail line that shows planned park and ride locations(pdf format). Unfortunately, they are all east of Mill. The closest one to Mill shown is at Apache and Terrace I believe. I am certain the new transit station next to Sun Devil Stadium will not have any park n ride options, the area simply isn't large enough. So, a good question about parking options in the immediate vicinity of downtown Tempe. The only thing I can think of are the parking garages.

http://www.valleymetro.org/METRO_lig...eMesaAlign.pdf

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 6:30 PM
under the influence...

I don't think there are any official park-n-ride lots in DT Tempe, you have to go further east or west along the line to see that, like at McClintock and Apache, or at 44th and Washington. If you find an apartment on the north side of University, why not just take one of the free shuttles to the 3rd street station once the light rail starts?

As for commuting from Ahwatukee, why not take one of the snazzy new Rapid buses instead? There's a park-n-ride lot at 40th and Pecos.

I don't think the monthly pass will go up in price a whole lot once the Light Rail starts.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 6:32 PM
under the influence...

Tempedude, if there is a park-n-ride option at Apache and Terrace, they're doing a great job of hiding the garage.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 6:39 PM
Dbacks baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex View Post
Tempedude, if there is a park-n-ride option at Apache and Terrace, they're doing a great job of hiding the garage.
Its going to be a surface lot I think...Metro has all kinds of stuff stored on it right now... I got that second hand info of course...but the map sure is indicating that being the location too. If not its just going to be just down the street further east on Apache, but not to far from Apache and Terrace...close to where the hookah bar/restaurant used to be( its been closed for awhile, I forget the name of it now).

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 7:01 PM

If you are going to live just west of mill along university, why not WALK to the station?

Even in summer, its not THAT far to need to drive ....what? 1 mile max? otherwise it wouldn't (imo) be worth the cost of parking to drive only that far and pay to park every time you go to work!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 7:05 PM

yeah, if not walk, what about riding your bike and parking it at the station?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 7:42 PM
E pluribus unum

Well the areas I was looking at in Tempe were more along University between Hardy and Priest, or even north of the Salt River (not "Downtown Tempe" per se, but close enough)

As for the Park-And-Ride in Ahwatukee, I live right up the street from it (40th and Chandler) but I'm working odd hours right now that prevent me from fully utilizing the Rapid that goes from there into Phoenix because I never really know what my hours are going to be on a day-to-day basis.

Thanks all for your help!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 10:17 PM

I'd recommend The Arbors for a relatively inexpensive apartment that's pretty nice. I've know a couple of people that have lived there over the years and it's recently undergone a renovation (maybe 2 years ago?). Also, Brown St. is one the nicest streets in town IMO, it's covered with great old growth trees and looks very inviting. Also, you could bike to the LtR station, on a beach cruiser, in less than 3-4 minutes...

Here's a link for you:
http://www.thearborsapartments.com/

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 10:43 PM
Dbacks baby!

Ok I wanted to go on record to set my facts straight. The light rail park-n-ride at Apache and Terrace that I mentioned isn't quite correct. Actually the park-n-ride is located 1/2 block south of Apache on Dorsey ( there is a station right there on Apache ). Actually the lot is on the corner of Dorsey and Lemon St. Its a surface lot utilized by the NSAA School for the Arts, right behind the little shopping center where Pita Jungle etc. is located. I know this is where the light rail park-n-ride is for an absolute fact because I was just right by there this afternoon( because its in my neighborhood ) and there is a sign there big as day that says "Light Rail Park and Ride/Student drop off for NSAA" ).

Thank you for your attention, now back to the regularly scheduled thread.

Last edited by tempedude; Jan 20, 2008 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 11:27 PM
under the influence...

Orbit shuttle runs right down 5th street, all the way to Preist, and they run every 5 mins.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 12:04 AM
this could have been...

I understand there will be bike racks onboard the Metro so you do not
even have to leave your bike (and then you can use it to reach the door of your final destination.)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest