HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander 90 View Post

To make the existing building look decent on the outside it will cost a ton of money.

212 apartments and 24 parking spaces and no balconies they will have a tough time renting. And with all the homeless camps and increase in crime. I wonder if they know. And 12,000 vacant apartments in Winnipeg with a few thousand under construction. Rents are going down and landlords offering 1 month free rent and a $1000.00 gift card. Calgary is a different rental market than Winnipeg.

The pump house a block away rented out quickly and I don't think it has any parking at all. And no balconies either. No parking and no balconies is quite common in this neighbourhood. Often the builders will try to do a shared rooftop patio to make up for the lack of balconies, but the parking issue goes with the territory of a heritage district.

One month free rent is an old and common incentive to get renters--it's not a sign of our rental market collapsing.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 11:37 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
The pump house a block away rented out quickly and I don't think it has any parking at all. And no balconies either. No parking and no balconies is quite common in this neighbourhood. Often the builders will try to do a shared rooftop patio to make up for the lack of balconies, but the parking issue goes with the territory of a heritage district.

One month free rent is an old and common incentive to get renters--it's not a sign of our rental market collapsing.
While I agree with everything mentioned I'll just point out that the upper units of pump house each have their own private rooftop terrace with individual hot tubs.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 12:46 AM

Based on the cmhc rental data for 2019, the winnipeg rental market has less availability than anywhere in alberta.

Theres supposed to be a couple different parkades coming in the area too.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Based on the cmhc rental data for 2019, the winnipeg rental market has less availability than anywhere in alberta.

Theres supposed to be a couple different parkades coming in the area too.
Where would they be planning parkades in the area?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Where would they be planning parkades in the area?
One between Rupert and Pacific next to the museum and one on Market beside the RMT.

Here's the plan for Market. Taken from the CT's Master Plan.

Last edited by NewIreland; Nov 21, 2020 at 10:09 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
One between Rupert and Pacific next to the museum and one on Market beside the RMT.

🤔 I do not believe a stand-alone parkade is planned for Pacific / Rupert. My understanding is a future expansion of the museum / concert hall complex would include parking under the structure. There is nothing on the drawing board per se or funding in place so it seems in the future. As for the Market Ave. parkade it would be useful but again no funding I am aware of.

Last edited by Labroco; Nov 22, 2020 at 4:35 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:

🤔 I do not believe a stand-alone parkade is planned for Pacific / Rupert. My understanding is a future expansion of the museum / concert hall complex would include parking under the structure. There is nothing on the drawing board per se or funding in place so it seems in the future. As for the Market Ave. parade it would be useful but again no funding I am aware of...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 2:17 AM

Quote:
🤔 I do not believe a stand-alone parkade is planned for Pacific / Rupert. My understanding is a future expansion of the museum / concert hall complex would include parking under the structure. There is nothing on the drawing board per se or funding in place so it seems in the future. As for the Market Ave. parade it would be useful but again no funding I am aware of...

"Mixed use commercial with parkade" #2

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 2:21 AM

Quote:

Speaking of parking, Fortis receiver has turned down $8,500,000 and may be in discussions to accept $9,000,000+. Sorry everyone but it’s being bought as a parking lot and not a development site... that’s over $55,000 a stall!

Waiting to see CV’s “soon to be announced†sale / development plans for the St Regis... Let me guess!
Sorry, what is being bought as a parking lot?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 4:25 AM

Quote:
"Mixed use commercial with parkade" #2

Perhaps one day... but not in the foreseeable future I’m sorry to say.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Perhaps one day... but not in the foreseeable future I’m sorry to say.
Not from what I've heard. These parkades are their #1 priority right now because they want to use the revenue to finance their other plans. With so much happening in the area, now is the time.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Not from what I've heard. These parkades are their #1 priority right now because they want to use the revenue to finance their other plans. With so much happening in the area, now is the time.
A new parkade is not profitable today even if the land was free. It must be heavily subsidized. They are only built to support existing (or new) office or residential. Any income would go to paying down a 25 year amortized mortgage. There is no additional cash flow available to finance anything else.

There is inexpensive surface parking on Galt, Edwin and Lily which could be made available for theatre / concert related evening activities whenever that possibility returns.

I just don’t see the economics of a parkade though...

Let’s diarize the conversation and see where we are next year at this time...

Never say never...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 3:31 PM

There's that one I think Colliers is developing. Number Ten is the architect I believe. Commericial and parkade. Then the one that was mentioned. But maybe that's one dead now.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander 90 View Post

To make the existing building look decent on the outside it will cost a ton of money.

212 apartments and 24 parking spaces and no balconies they will have a tough time renting. And with all the homeless camps and increase in crime. I wonder if they know. And 12,000 vacant apartments in Winnipeg with a few thousand under construction. Rents are going down and landlords offering 1 month free rent and a $1000.00 gift card. Calgary is a different rental market than Winnipeg.
According to this, Winnipeg's apartment vacancy rate for 1 and 2 bedroom apts is actually lower than Calgary's:

https://www.rentseeker.ca/blog/avera...s-canada-2020/

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There's that one I think Colliers is developing. Number Ten is the architect I believe. Commericial and parkade. Then the one that was mentioned. But maybe that's one dead now.
That's on McDermot, a few blocks away.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 11:16 PM

90 Alexandar won a 2020 Canadian Architect Award of Merit:

https://www.canadianarchitect.com/90-alexander/

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post

Personally I am loving the variety of interesting architectural styles developing along Waterfront Drive.While an individual building may have elements I may or may not prefer, taken as a whole the architecture of this district make it visually very attractive for me.

I know I've mentioned this before about other locations, but hello film & TV industry? If you're looking for some visually interesting locations, check this out!

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post

modest proposal: architecture awards should not be awarded to buildings until they are actually built

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
modest proposal: architecture awards should not be awarded to buildings until they are actually built
Agreed. Judging by the firm's history this will certainly look worse on completion. Those unfinished steel staircases and walkways on the Pump House (which is entirely black) are truly... something else.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 10:03 PM

The demolition is now complete. It’s a huge site at 44,000ft2. I had a good look at the site plan and circulation and see it as a transformative development. It will pull pedestrians through the site onto Alexander. The residents will add vitality and customers for Nonsuch and Patent 5 on Pacific and Alexander. The two smallish retail spaces will be successful as well.

I believe what is still needed though is some movement on the Alexander Docks as a venue / destination.

Would anyone be interested in a Bocci Ball Club on George Street now that the gang house has been removed and the site cleared? I’ll spring for the benches, balls and beer. Someone will have to keep a look out for the city inspectors though. I’m sure there would be some infraction or fee we are guilty of as one tries to build true urban community interest in Waterfront North.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan