HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 10:55 PM
Space Magi

I took a ride on TRAX today from Salt Lake Central to Murray and I have to say that I love our city. The Hardware Apartments look very nice from the FrontRunner and the city definitely seems to be getting more urban and dense. I really look forward to seeing all of the new towers pop up over the next few years.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 3:37 PM

Photo Bump

Love this photo! I guess it won't be long before Broadway Park Lofts has a new development to its side.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 12:53 PM

Seattle developers completing 19-acre townhome development in South Salt Lake, about to go big in the Granary District.

Luke Garrott Reports. Complete Article and Additional Photos @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/sea...ig-in-granary/

Salt Lake City is becoming a destination for out-of-town developers who pride themselves on quality design and the re-purposing of historic buildings.

Lake Union Partners, a 10-year old, mid-size development firm from Seattle, is not alone in seeing potential in the Salt Lake area – and is constructing both residential and commercial product in notable ways.

INDUSTRY SLC, from Denver, also is investing in the Granary District in an unprecedented scale with adaptive reuse of some of the area’s stock of warehouses and manufacturing sites.

At 2852 S. West Temple, Lake Union’s Hawthorne townhome project is helping transform South Salt Lake from an industrial appendage of Salt Lake City into a housing destination.

Lake Union Partners will also start rehabilitation and reuse on five existing buildings in the Granary District, starting in January 2020.

Hawthorne's entrance at 2852 S. West Temple, South Salt Lake. Photo by Luke Garrott.

Hawthorne is a gated community. Designed with an internal north-south, east-west grid, it has three access points to the public right-of-way, all on West Temple. Its design concept for
buildings might best be described as Scandinavian Modern. Clean lines, touches of wood, pitched roofs, large windows, and ample shared space distinguish the project.Photo By Luke Garrott

The Clubhouse at Hawthorne. Photo by Luke Garrott.

Granary District blowing up

Lake Union is hesitant to reveal at this point its specific interests in the Granary District. Yet it tells Building Salt Lake that five buildings will be developed,
some in partnership with the EVO ski and snowboard company out of Seattle, as an outdoor recreation campus.

Building Salt Lake will continue its updates of Granary District developments as facts become available.

Images of upcoming Granary District developments below courtesy of Lake Union Partners.

Last edited by delts145; Nov 26, 2019 at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 9:33 PM

Who knows what compromises the developer made to get this project approved?

Downtown Update - Cottonwood Broadway Apartments

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
Fencing has gone up at the Broadway Apts site, an excavator is onsite and digging has begun.

PROJECT DATA
Located on the east side Salt Lake City’s vibrant downtown and iconic buildings like the Salt Lake City Public Library, the Leonardo Museum, and Salt Palace Convention Center, Cottonwood Broadway is well positioned to give residents access to all that the City has to offer. The Studio PBA project consists of one 7-story building, with units ranging from studios to 2-bedrooms. Residents will have covered parking options located on the first two floors of the building, while the top 5 floors are reserved for amenities and residential units. The contemporary building design provides sweeping views of the Wasatch Range from the roof top pool and residences, an expansive multi-level fitness center, and other amenity spaces such as a cyber cafe, mail center, and full service leasing center with conference rooms.

MORE ABOUT THE PROJECT
Client: Cottonwood Residential
Completed: 2020
Units / Density: 256 Units / 148 DU/ACRE
Program: Multi-Family Residential

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 12:11 AM

Question: Are there any of the proposed Lowe Property Group's projects actually in construction?

So far, these are the projects they have proposed in the last year or two:

1) Dixon
https://www.loweprop.com/fairmont-lofts

2) 6th & Main
https://www.loweprop.com/6th-main

3) Sugar Alley
https://www.loweprop.com/dixon-lofts

4) Post District
https://www.loweprop.com/copy-of-a-z

5) Did they also have the two 10 story office project on 6th south, also?

Last edited by Orlando; Nov 30, 2019 at 12:13 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Question: Are there any of the proposed Lowe Property Group's projects actually in construction?

So far, these are the projects they have proposed in the last year or two:

1) Dixon
This recent article from BSL reporting that work on the Dixon building was underway was initially posted here a week or so ago.

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/dev...n-sugar-house/

The Post District is a joint project with Brandon Blaser and QFactor/Industry so that seems like it has a good probability of actually happening.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahn View Post
Yes, that's the new Salt Lake County Library branch. They're calling it the Granite Branch. It's already moved fairly far through South Salt Lake's planning process if not the whole way. You can see a rendering at link to this staff report (I've seen better, but this is what a quick google search pulled up)

http://www.southsaltlakecity.com/upl..._19_Final_.pdf
This should be in the SL County thread, but the design review for the library is set for the next SSL planning commission meeting on December 5th

http://www.southsaltlakecity.com/upl...y_Design_R.pdf

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 5:22 PM

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCLvr View Post
This recent article from BSL reporting that work on the Dixon building was underway was initially posted here a week or so ago.

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/dev...n-sugar-house/

The Post District is a joint project with Brandon Blaser and QFactor/Industry so that seems like it has a good probability of actually happening.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad to see that they've teamed up with the developers of Industry for the Post District. Don't get me wrong. I love, love, love Lowe's proposals., and I'm super excited for their efforts to make the Grand Boulevards area much more of an attractive gateway in and out of the city. But, I just looked up their website and their linkedin profiles, and Lowe really hasn't done anything urban like this, until the two sons joined up in 2018, and now we see all of these new proposals. It's just that we've seen this with a lot of these highly ambitious developers that really have no experience doing this. We've seen this with Form Development and the Violin School Commons, the developers for the Regent Street Hotel, the developers for block 67, and the developer for the previous tower on the Millienium tower site., and now with Kensington and Lowe. We get our hopes up so many times with these inexperienced and super ambitious developers. I truly hope these guys can pull it off, but I have my reservations.

Last edited by Orlando; Nov 29, 2019 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 11:48 PM

Reagan billboards

This company needs to be reigned in for the betterment of the city. This issue needs to be raised to a greater public awareness. Only at that level, will public officials listen to the community rather than a special interest group funding their campaigns. They maxed out donations to Biskupski and that's why she was silent on the recent bill.
https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/edi...illboard-bill/

The entrance to downtown is an eyesore and am embarrassment, and those billboards need to go and power lines buried!

Last edited by Orlando; Nov 30, 2019 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 12:09 AM

Can someone direct me to the article where Lane Beattie of the Salt Lake Chamber of Commerce presented to the Utah Congress of blight of 5th & 6th south compared to the beauty of a grand boulevard in Paris?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 2:58 AM

‘We’ve got one shot to get this right and that’s our absolute plan’: Utah breaks ground on stadium project
Rice-Eccles getting $80 million in enhancements.

By Dirk Facer Nov 30, 2019, 4:47pm MST

https://www.deseret.com/2019/11/30/2...tadium-project

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/WAzl...in_27345.0.jpg

Last edited by delts145; Dec 1, 2019 at 9:37 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 7:56 AM
They all float down here

I still don't understand how that complex is going to take a year and a half to build.

The entire stadium was built in less than a year back in 1997/1998!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 3:09 PM

The historic Kearns Building on Salt Lake City’s Main Street gets a $25 million renovation

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/11/...rousel-8008547

Quote:
The historic Kearns Building in downtown Salt Lake City holds a special place for its owner — in more ways than one.

Hines, the global real estate firm, bought the 10-story building at 136 S. Main St. in 1988. Constructed in 1911, the steel-reinforced concrete structure with a white terra cotta facade was among the first ever purchased by the Houston-based company.

Three decades later, Hines is one of the world’s largest privately held real estate powerhouses, overseeing a global portfolio worth some $120 billion.

The firm recently announced it has embarked on a $25 million overhaul of the Kearns Building’s interior and its electrical, plumbing and other support systems — a testament, one official said, to its enduring commitment to the city’s downtown.

“As you can imagine, owning this building for 30 years, we’re quite interested in Main Street and how everything goes here,” said Dusty Harris, Hines’ senior managing director in Salt Lake City.

The Kearns Building and its renovation hold a special place for Hines in another sense. Owning Kearns, it turns out, has given Hines the inside track to reimagine the aging Utah Theater next door, which the city now owns.

Details of the renovation were released simultaneous to news that Hines and Utah-based LaSalle had clinched a deal with the city to buy the historic theater — located just to the south of the Kearns Building on Main Street— with plans to tear down the 101-year-old venue and build a skyscraper.

Under a little-known provision that lets the city’s Redevelopment Agency give preference to adjacent property owners as it seeks to develop its landholdings, Hines and LaSalle — which owns 160 S. Main, just south of the theater — have been in exclusive talks with the city for more than three years.

Now, with a sales agreement penned by Mayor Jackie Biskupski in early November, the developers are poised to buy the aging venue, demolish it and build a 30-story, glass-clad tower in its place.

Though LaSalle has developed several popular restaurants in Salt Lake City, the skyscraper would be Hines’ first major project in Utah’s capital.

The prospect of razing the Utah Theater has upset supporters of the historic performance hall, who have accused the mayor and officials with the RDA of not adequately involving the public as it has decided the building’s fate.

The RDA has estimated the costs of refurbishing the Utah Theater at between $45 million and $60 million — an amount Biskupski has deemed beyond the city’s budget without asking taxpayers for more money, something she’s not willing to do.

Harris said that during Hines early involvement with the Utah Theater project, “we spent all our time trying to save the theater.” He said the company now supports the decision by the mayor and RDA “to move in a different direction.”

As that project starts to ramp up, Hines will be putting the finishing touches on the three-month Kearns Building renovation, which is set to be completed by year’s end.

The office building, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, was designed by California architects, reportedly using aspects of the style of Louis Sullivan, dubbed by one biographer as the “father of skyscrapers.”

The Main Street structure is seen as one of the best-preserved examples of that architectural approach in the Intermountain West, according to its original application for National Register status.

Much of the current renovation work — designed by the Salt Lake City firm HKS Architects — is based on original historic 1909 drawings, the owners say.

Designers and Utah artists have also drawn from anecdotes from the life of the building’s creator, Thomas Kearns, a wealthy mining executive, onetime U.S. senator for Utah and part owner in The Salt Lake Tribune.

The renovation has already created a new interior courtyard and artists are finishing a three-story, open-air mural above it, featuring Helen Kearns, the former senator’s youngest daughter.

“We’ve been working on this for a long time,” said Daniel Stephens, a Hines executive involved in the project.

Crews are retrofitting and modernizing much of the building’s 166,939 square feet of office spaces, creating new light-filled common areas and spreading new Utah artwork installations throughout.

On some floors, the overhaul is creating new windows and exposing brick walls and steel girders to give office spaces a popular vintage feel. Harris said Hines is hoping the renovation, which also includes opening a newly remodeled coworking space, will help lure high-tech companies as tenants.

Hines and LaSalle, meanwhile, have submitted initial plans for the residential skyscraper on the Utah Theater site, with 300 or so apartments and new a midblock walkway cutting westward from Main Street.

If the project goes ahead, the 30-story tower would rank among the city’s top five tallest buildings — but that lineup is changing fast.

The proposed skyscraper is one of at least half-dozen new and tall towers now being pursued in Utah’s capital amid a spurt of commercial and residential construction.

Hines, which also owns the Cottonwood Corporate Center in Cottonwood Heights, announced in March that it had purchased a 49.5-acre property in West Valley City with plans to build a four-building, 727,000-square-foot logistics park.

That industrial project has been billed as Hines’ first major development deal in the Utah market.
It does appear that the Utah Theater is going away and I would expect that Hines would like to start work as quick as possible, probably shortly after they complete the renovations and upgrades to the Kearns Building (3 months or so).

I think LaSalle has had their tenants on shorter leases in anticipation of action as well. This would allow the project to move quickly.

I also think it would be nice to know the definition of "tall" that is used by the Tribune.

Quote:
The proposed skyscraper is one of at least half-dozen new and tall towers now being pursued in Utah’s capital amid a spurt of commercial and residential construction.
1. Tower 8
2. Liberty Sky
3. Convention Center Hotel
4. Carl's Jr. (Kensington Tower)
5. Utah Theater Tower
6a. 255 South State (Brinshore)
6b. Block 67 (The West Quarter) Phase 2
6c. 370 Millennium (Held)
6d. Cascade
6e-g. Unknown mystery project(s)?

Next year (2020) will see the most active tower cranes downtown since City Creek.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 11:52 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad to see that they've teamed up with the developers of Industry for the Post District. Don't get me wrong. I love, love, love Lowe's proposals., and I'm super excited for their efforts to make the Grand Boulevards area much more of an attractive gateway in and out of the city. But, I just looked up their website and their linkedin profiles, and Lowe really hasn't done anything urban like this, until the two sons joined up in 2018, and now we see all of these new proposals. It's just that we've seen this with a lot of these highly ambitious developers that really have no experience doing this. We've seen this with Form Development and the Violin School Commons, the developers for the Regent Street Hotel, the developers for block 67, and the developer for the previous tower on the Millienium tower site., and now with Kensington and Lowe. We get our hopes up so many times with these inexperienced and super ambitious developers. I truly hope these guys can pull it off, but I have my reservations.
Lowe seems to be going at a good pace with Dixon Place. Once they got their permit they’ve been moving on it. Excavation is happening quickly.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 2:37 AM
Ironweed

1. Tower 8
2. Liberty Sky
3. Convention Center Hotel
4. Carl's Jr. (Kensington Tower)
5. Utah Theater Tower
6a. 255 South State (Brinshore)
6b. Block 67 (The West Quarter) Phase 2
6c. 370 Millennium (Held)
6d. Cascade
6e-g. Unknown mystery project(s)?

Next year (2020) will see the most active tower cranes downtown since City Creek.[/QUOTE]

6C is Dead in the water. Any rumors on what is to happen to that property?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 12:30 PM
Space Magi

I wonder what the plan is for the Olympic couldron. Last I heard (back in 2018), the athletics department didn't know what to do with it. I had hoped that they could find a way to incorporate it into the new SEZ design but it looks like they are just looking to do away with it.

I always thought it would be cool if they would light it during football games but they've always said it was too expensive.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 2:37 PM

Thanks Makid for calling that to our attention. I've always admired the Main St. facade of Kearns but was clueless as to how beautiful it is on the interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post

The historic Kearns Building on Salt Lake City’s Main Street gets a $25 million renovation

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/11/...rousel-8008547

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 11:16 PM
Transit Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahn View Post
Yes, that's the new Salt Lake County Library branch. They're calling it the Granite Branch. It's already moved fairly far through South Salt Lake's planning process if not the whole way. You can see a rendering at link to this staff report (I've seen better, but this is what a quick google search pulled up)

http://www.southsaltlakecity.com/upl..._19_Final_.pdf
I wonder what is going to happen to the Columbus Library after this new place opens?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankrom View Post
I wonder what is going to happen to the Columbus Library after this new place opens?
I was wondering that too...half of that building is used as a community center (I'm not sure if it's for South Salt Lake or Salt Lake County). I hope that continues to be used, and they can expand their services there if necessary.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West