HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 9:24 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It is funny to note how wrong the naysayers have been lately. They were wrong on the Nova Centre funding and wrong on this. Will they be wrong on the stadium as well?

I hope this will cause a shift away from some of the small town thinking that still plagues the city. People who think that Halifax can get by with small town infrastructure have their head in the sand. Really all they are proposing is a recipe for a miserable grid-locked city of 500,000 in a few years, not the pleasant small town they imagine. The people and traffic are coming and they need to be dealt with.

I agree that council needs to be looking at, say, LRT. They are dealing with issues an order of magnitude too small, like the question of whether or not to build one new bus terminal in Dartmouth that dragged on for ages. If that is how they continue Halifax's transportation system simply will not keep up.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It is funny to note how wrong the naysayers have been lately. They were wrong on the Nova Centre funding and wrong on this. Will they be wrong on the stadium as well?

I hope this will cause a shift away from some of the small town thinking that still plagues the city. People who think that Halifax can get by with small town infrastructure have their head in the sand. Really all they are proposing is a recipe for a miserable grid-locked city of 500,000 in a few years, not the pleasant small town they imagine. The people and traffic are coming and they need to be dealt with.

I agree that council needs to be looking at, say, LRT. They are dealing with issues an order of magnitude too small, like the question of whether or not to build one new bus terminal in Dartmouth that dragged on for ages. If that is how they continue Halifax's transportation system simply will not keep up.

I have to agree completely. What I'm looking forward too is the 'snowball effect' this will create. Yes, the jobs for the shipyard will be good and there will be spin off jobs from this. But what I'm interested to see will be the other areas of the economy jumping on board due in part to confidence.

I've heard it over and over again that Canadian companies are doing well with cash on their balance sheets, so I wonder if this will cause some of those companies around HRM or Nova Scotia to loosen up the purse strings and investing, thus generating more jobs - thus the snowball effect.

I obviously got the jobs numbers wrong in terms of population projections, I was basing it on 25k not 15k. But still, using the typical formula of 1:3 (1 full time job creates 3 service sector spin off jobs) you are still looking at 45,000 additional service sector jobs.

Using the typical range of between 1 to 2.5 people per job population growth (1 = single person, 2.5 being a typical family and one child average) over the life of the contract HRM's population could grow 60,000 or by as much as 150,000 from this.

We'd be looking at around 553k at the top range of population estimates. That's factoring out the potential snow ball effect.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 9:35 PM
BANNED

Amazing news for Halifax and Atlantic Canada; great news for Vancouver and British Columbia!!

And I certainly do hope for the smaller 2 billion contract to go to Davie Shipyards in Quebec City. Though they were recently pulled out of bankruptcy protection, and were late for their actual bid, I am happy to see the contracts spread out across the country.

PARTY IN HALIFAX TONIGHT!!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 9:42 PM
Honored Member

Great news for Nova Scotia and all of Canada. Maybe this news will help Joe Ramia firm up tenants for the Nova Centre. If nothing else it will provide a higher level of confidence to go ahead.

Now is the time for HRM to talk to Premier Dexter about the stadium (once he gets back to NS from his scheduled trip oversees, and once HRM has a stadium concept).

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 9:43 PM

I wonder if this could boost the provincial population to cross the 1,000,000 mark?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 9:56 PM

Think about the LRT this way: a rail line used to run from Bedford along the shore of the Basin, then along the shoreline of the peninsula parallel with Barrington St. If that ROW still exists it goes within a few feet of the Irving Shipyard. Imagine that taking those welders and pipefitters and electricians to work every day, then continuing downtown to the office towers. The alternative is having a gridlocked stream of bumper to bumper traffic on Barrington St every day.

With the promised demo of the Cogswell interchange it could run right to Granville Mall and make a loop back.

We NEED this.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Think about the LRT this way: a rail line used to run from Bedford along the shore of the Basin, then along the shoreline of the peninsula parallel with Barrington St. If that ROW still exists it goes within a few feet of the Irving Shipyard. Imagine that taking those welders and pipefitters and electricians to work every day, then continuing downtown to the office towers. The alternative is having a gridlocked stream of bumper to bumper traffic on Barrington St every day.

With the promised demo of the Cogswell interchange it could run right to Granville Mall and make a loop back.

We NEED this.
I had a look at the HRM GIS. The property lines along the dock yards are really hard to read, but if I'm looking at it correctly part of the old ROW for the rail line is still there. But I don't think it stretchs much beyond the irving ship yard. However, I don't believe that the old ROW has been built on which means restoring it wouldn't be too difficult since most of the area is either parking lots or just gravelled.

The only catch would be getting through the road system under the MacDonald Bridge.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 10:07 PM

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 10:11 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Lots of new homes will need lots of new furniture... C'MON IKEA <3

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
Yeah, this should be good news for retail everywhere in Halifax including downtown!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 10:30 PM

I am pumped, this is great news! Sounds like a good time to buy a house in the north end.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 11:00 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post

We NEED this.
Totally agree. If something isn't done today there will be total gridlock on the peninsula in 5 years or less. The new LRT should loop from the shipyard to the VIA station. This link could be by streetcar or subway. The skytrain in Vancouver dips under downtown for a few blocks. The bedrock issue in Halifax shouldn't be an issue. What percentage of subway in Toronto, Montreal, New York and Boston travels through solid bedrock?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 11:04 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
10 months or less..................

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 11:07 PM

Mamma I'm comin' home

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 11:10 PM

I'm just watching the interview of some ship yard staff at the Halifax yard and they are saying that the expect to not only build the ships but land the contracts to do mid-life maintenance - which could smooth out the peaks and valleys out of shipbuilding. So it could mean a century worth of work, over the life of the ships.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 11:12 PM
BANNED

Quebec whining? What is new? I have some cheese for you guys.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 11:14 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I'm just going to come out and say it. For me this was one of those "I'll never forget where I was when" days.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
Mamma I'm comin' home
This should be one of the biggest effects. Workers who went out west can come home for a solid job in place they really want to work in.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 11:21 PM

I dont think you guys had anything to worry about Congrats on the big contract!

For me the real nail bitter was here in Vancouver, worrying that Quebec was going to get the 8-billion dollar deal.

So for me, today is a big

An 8-billion dollar contract is nothing to shake a stick at, hurray for the left and right side of out nation, hehe.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 11:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Congratulations Halifax!

This is excellent news not only for Halifax but for the entire Maritime region. I imagine that subcontracting work will be distributed around the region. We should all benefit.

All rivalries aside, we should be one large happy Maritime family. When one member of the family gets ahead, we should all be proud.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy