HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 4:34 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
hmm wow I guess I haven't been over there in a while (even though I was in Chinatown today). This development will really change the feel of State/Cermak.
The corner of State/Cermak will still be empty for awhile... these midrises are between 23rd/24th Sts.

With the way these CHA redevelopments have dragged on, I wouldn't be surprised if the highrise at State/Cermak isn't started for another 15 years... ParkSide of Old Town (i.e. Cabrini Green South) still isn't done and they started before the Great Recession, not to mention Cabrini Green North. At Ickes, CHA started kicking tenants out in 2007, so it's gonna be at least 14 years of waiting for those residents to move back (realistically, it will be a new crop of needy tenants).

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 12:55 AM

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The corner of State/Cermak will still be empty for awhile... these midrises are between 23rd/24th Sts.

With the way these CHA redevelopments have dragged on, I wouldn't be surprised if the highrise at State/Cermak isn't started for another 15 years... ParkSide of Old Town (i.e. Cabrini Green South) still isn't done and they started before the Great Recession, not to mention Cabrini Green North. At Ickes, CHA started kicking tenants out in 2007, so it's gonna be at least 14 years of waiting for those residents to move back (realistically, it will be a new crop of needy tenants).
A lot of students at NTA Elementary, right next door, are from former Ickes families that haven't given up on the promise to be able to return. I'd say these buildings will be full the moment they are finished, and the Alderman and community is in favor of the development.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 4:47 PM
Team Alinghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
...Impressively anti-urban. Kinda looks like a dumbed down version of those gimmicky garages going up in Miami.

Source: Streetsblog Chicago

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
A lot of students at NTA Elementary, right next door, are from former Ickes families that haven't given up on the promise to be able to return. I'd say these buildings will be full the moment they are finished, and the Alderman and community is in favor of the development.
I don't think they can delay building these units any longer. The end the 50+ year old ‘Gautreaux’ Desegregation Lawsuit they need to complete all currently planned mixed use developments by July 2024.

I cannot find much detail, but here is the story.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...221-story.html

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 6:06 PM
TL;DR

LOL. Their entire plan relied on selling expensive market-rate units to subsidize the affordable/CHA units.

Unfortunately it's a terrible market for condos or even townhouses, and market-rate buyers are not just a pinata full of cash waiting to be busted open. They have lots of choices in Chicago and don't want to move into a bombed out urban renewal wasteland when there are actual vibrant neighborhoods available, or amenities like the lakefront.

No way they can complete all the units by 2024. If they were serious about it, they would have identified new sources of revenue to build more housing that is purely CHA. Even the developments in semi-decent locations like Cabrini, Roosevelt Square and Oakwood Shores have stalled out, places where market-rate buyers might conceivably move in. What hope do they have for rebuilding Stateway Gardens or LeClaire Courts?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 9:23 PM

"market-rate buyers are not just a pinata full of cash waiting to be busted open"

LOL you must be new to Illinois.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 1:18 AM

Tribune Tower Rehab - 435 N Michigan

Sept 14

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 2:00 AM

Beautiful vertical addition! Well done.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 3:49 AM

Bikes on LSD ( flyover-under )

Sept 14

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 3:02 PM

Steppenwolf

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 3:12 PM

Was really hoping for something better than a 90's LA styled design on the Steppenwolf. The concrete is very interesting but the whole composition seems off, will wait until complete to criticize.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 6:37 PM
TL;DR

What's wrong with the 90s in LA? Back when Frank Gehry was still doing interesting small projects...

Steppenwolf is kind of odd though. That loading dock is poorly handled for sure, especially since it faces the front of the building and not the back! The renderings show that they want to put a sculptural "gate" that swings across the space and turns it into a plaza on theater nights. Nice idea but seems like the kind of thing that will get abandoned quickly by the operations people... or value engineered out before they even put the gate in. Would be better to provide good architecture here.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 6:39 PM

yeah at this point its still pretty hard to tell what the final execution will wind up looking like.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
What's wrong with the 90s in LA? Back when Frank Gehry was still doing interesting small projects...

Steppenwolf is kind of odd though. That loading dock is poorly handled for sure, especially since it faces the front of the building and not the back! The renderings show that they want to put a sculptural "gate" that swings across the space and turns it into a plaza on theater nights. Nice idea but seems like the kind of thing that will get abandoned quickly by the operations people... or value engineered out before they even put the gate in. Would be better to provide good architecture here.
It does look like something you'd see in West Hollywood lol

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 4:14 AM

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...moving-forward

GREG HINZ ON POLITICS
September 24, 2020 02:26 PM UPDATED 4 HOURS AGO

Big, green rebuild of North Lake Shore Drive moving forward

The $3 billion project includes beach space and an eye-catching new park, but it still needs funding and is years away from completion.

Quote:
The cost is huge, upwards of $3 billion, and the funding source is uncertain. But local transportation planners are driving ahead with plans for a splashy, climate-friendly rebuild of North Lake Shore Drive intended to make it more a path through the park than a frenzied expressway.

The centerpiece of the plan, a refined version of a proposal first unveiled three years ago that soon will be the subject of a virtual public hearing, is a much expanded Oak Street Beach that would push farther into Lake Michigan via landfill. That would allow a rebuilt drive to curve at a less steep angle and pave the way for development of a major park behind it to the southwest.

Combined with other landfill south past Chicago Avenue that would replace the stoplight there with an overpass, the lakeshore would gain “a minimum” of 59 new acres of green space from Navy Pier north to the end of the drive at Hollywood Avenue.

“The North Lake Shore Drive project team has reached a critical milestone in the study process as we prepare to recommend a narrowed range of alternatives to be carried forward to the next stage of analysis,” planners from the Chicago and Illinois Departments of Transportation said in releasing new details of where things stand. Further information may come at a briefing scheduled for Sept. 25.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:19 AM
Small but Mighty

^^Imma be honest, why the hell is this even still being considered?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 1:15 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
^^Imma be honest, why the hell is this even still being considered?

Well, if nothing's done in terms of shoreline protection, LSD itself is probably going to crumble into Lake Michigan in places, so I'd say something HAS to be done. I'd have to read far more details to give an informed opinion on this proposal, but on first glance it seems very promising.

It would take a hell of a lot of "angel billionaire investment" to get it off the ground, though.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 2:12 PM
TL;DR

The bus lanes are also much needed to speed buses through the traffic jams between Fullerton and Oak. Honestly they should just paint the bus lanes on the existing highway.

This may be a good strategy so that the North Red Line can be rebuilt with long-term station closures.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 2:48 PM

1) There was a permit issued yesterday to build a new 4 story, 89 unit building with 117 parking spaces at 133 S Ashland. That is the NE corner of Ashland & Adams near Skinner Park. Currently a vacant lot - the previous 2 story building was torn down in the last 2 years. Difference being that there was a surface parking lot in the previous too. Given the number of units and floors, I'd expect most of the lot to be taken up.

Looks like Michigan Avenue Real Estate Group with Jerry Reinsdorf might be behind this. If I had to guess, it's probably going to look the same as the mediocre looking 4 story residential buildings from MAREG that have gone up in the same area, such as the one at Adams & Laflin. Or perhaps one of their other buildings up the street at 21 S Ashland (https://www.google.com/maps/place/21...3!4d-87.666314). Nonetheless, it should at least make that area a little more seamless urbanity wise.

More recently:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/13...!4d-87.6663178

Before previous building demolition:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8793...7i13312!8i6656

2) New construction permit was finally issued for 61 W Erie in River North - between Dearborn and Clark. Current scope is 6 stories tall with 28 units and only 2 parking spaces.

A more recent (but probably somewhat outdated) rendering via https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/us/sixtyone-west-erie:

More recently:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/61...!4d-87.6304742

Before demolition:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/61...!4d-87.6304742

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development