HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 6:24 AM

Quote:
IKEA's sister company buys troubled 6X6 shopping mall
By Alex Barreira – Staff Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
Sep 4, 2020, 2:59pm PDT Updated 7 hours ago

The 6X6 shopping center has a new owner — and IKEA could be on its way to Market Street.

The long vacant six-story, 250,000 square foot shopping center at 945 Market St. in downtown San Francisco has been purchased by Ingka Centres, the mall owner division of IKEA's parent company, Ingka Group, the San Francisco Chronicle reports. The sales price was not disclosed.

Plans for an IKEA store at the mall were not announced, but the world's largest furniture retailer told the Chronicle that its U.S. retail division would play an "integral role" in the project and would reveal plans "in the near future."

“This investment and the addition of IKEA will be transformational for our Mid-Market neighborhood, and a welcome reminder that while the present is challenging, San Francisco remains a place businesses want to locate,” said Mayor London Breed in a statement to the Chronicle.

Since fall 2016 the only active business in the 6X6 mall has been a 167-space parking garage. The empty shopping center has struggled with flagging demand from retailers and nearby drug use and dirty street conditions.

The 6X6 mall cost $150 million to build. Developer Cypress Equities sold the empty property to Alexandria Real Estate Equities and TMG Partners last year after years of unsuccessful bids secure retail tenants . . . .
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...NTVjkifQ%3D%3D

It'll be great to get something there.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 6:26 AM

VERY modern/futuristic and I welcome it with open arms

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 4:38 PM

Loving that proposal! The swimming pool is really iconic, but I just question if there's ever a day warm enough in SF to actually strip down and get into water without freezing to death.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Loving that proposal! The swimming pool is really iconic, but I just question if there's ever a day warm enough in SF to actually strip down and get into water without freezing to death.
Why God invented the wet suit.

https://www.inside-guide-to-san-fran...francisco.html

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 10:42 PM

Pedestrian - sooo funny!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
Pedestrian - sooo funny!
Been a hot summer, even in SF. The freezing ocean water almost sounds refreshing to those without AC in their sweltering apartments. A pool would definitely be welcome at least during hot summer days once covid is defeated.

Last edited by CaliNative; Sep 6, 2020 at 8:26 AM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 2:25 PM

My cousin lives there in San Francisco. She has no a/c. She stated yesterday that it was going to be 98 degrees today. She rented a hotel room.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 4:16 PM
Build Baby Build

San Franciscans are the only ones who will complain about climate change for 30 years and not buy a $200 portable A/C. I have lived here for almost a decade and it has gotten hot enough for A/C every single year.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
San Franciscans are the only ones who will complain about climate change for 30 years and not buy a $200 portable A/C. I have lived here for almost a decade and it has gotten hot enough for A/C every single year.
For 2 or 3 days and not really even every year. But I did buy a portable A/C about 20 years ago (when they cost more) and used it today.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 9:24 AM
dazzle me

Ikea opening up at the Mid-Market mall will radically change that area. Hard really to imagine a business that would bring more traffic.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 3:11 PM

I've never been to an IKEA but I'm sure it's a great urban store.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 3:31 PM

Oh wow! An Ikea here would be great for the Bay Area and SF tbh. I pass by the one in East Palo Alto whenever I drive up to SF and there's a LONG line on 101 just to park inside the garage... Very crazy to see especially during covid times. I'm sure this will be beneficial to our region so people in SF don't have to drive to Emeryville or East Palo Alto anymore. Also this will GREATLY increase foot traffic around this area FOR SURE

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Been a hot summer, even in SF. The freezing ocean water almost sounds refreshing to those without AC in their sweltering apartments. A pool would definitely be welcome at least during hot summer days once covid is defeated.
There was a pool in the SF apartment complex where we lived for 16 years. We would only use it maybe once or twice a year, maybe three times and sometimes not at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
We still know the neighbors in our old complex, and one of them said he finally broke down, after all these years, and bought himself a window AC unit. We had talked about doing the same in the last few years.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 4:00 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
For 2 or 3 days and not really even every year. But I did buy a portable A/C about 20 years ago (when they cost more) and used it today.
I knew I had to replace my furnace before it stopped working, so sprang for a 95% high efficiency model with an added air purification system. A year and a half later (2017 going into 2018), I added central air conditioning. Because I live on the top floor of my building with windows facing in three directions, I’ve never regretted the decision. Even after having changed the roof from a traditional one to thick foam and having replaced all of my windows, which both greatly helped, it could get quite hot in here. Now, that’s not the case and I’m thankful. AC in San Francisco used to be extremely rare, but no longer, which further strains the electrical grid.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I knew I had to replace my furnace before it stopped working, so sprang for a 95% high efficiency model with an added air purification system. A year and a half later (2017 going into 2018), I added central air conditioning. Because I live on the top floor of my building with windows facing in three directions, I’ve never regretted the decision. Even after having changed the roof from a traditional one to thick foam and having replaced all of my windows, which both greatly helped, it could get quite hot in here. Now, that’s not the case and I’m thankful. AC in San Francisco used to be extremely rare, but no longer, which further strains the electrical grid.
That sounds like my Arizona house: foam roof coated with reflective silicone, moderate high efficiency A/C (since I'm not normally there in the summer, last time I replaced it I didn't go for the MOST efficient--got middle range). This year I stayed in AZ into the first week in June fearing SF would have a real problem with COVID so I was there on days it got to 105. But even so, I set the AC at 72 at night, then turned it off when I got up in the morning and the house stayed below 76 until about 3 in the afternoon. I was really amazed at how cool that roof keeps it. There are also roof overhangs all around so no direct sun coming in the windows either which probably helps and the walls are 1.5 ft thick masonry.

My condo unit in SF faces both east and west and the wind literally howls through when it's blowing at all. Many years I would not use A/C at all even if I had a central unit. I like having the windows open. Even in AZ, I keep them open most of the time during the months I'm there (usually Oct-April): And my cat gets very annoyed with me when I shut the door to the screened porch so she can't go out there.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 3:42 AM

Developments on 11th and 12th streets

San Francisco - the infill project in the 300 block of 11th street is rising - don't have any information on this one.

To the right of the infill is City Gardens at 333 12th Street which is finished on the outside. The white portion is located on the corner of 12th Street and Harrison.

Note the old brick building on the far left which is at the corner of Folsom and 11th Street. The corner brick at the top is a lighter color brick as that portion of the building was replaced after the 1989 earthquake because that portion of the building collapsed onto the street. I think it is best to not rush out into the street during an earthquake as there is often all kinds of hazards falling from the exterior of a building.

Photo taken from my balcony in the Civic Center. The yellow color is from the sunlight filtered through wildfire smoke north of the city.

300 Block 0f 11th Street

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 4:05 AM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
I just want to try the meatballs.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 2:24 PM
Show me the blueprints

An
I
K
E
A

blade sign would be cool. Market needs to get its vertical signs back.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 2:57 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
An
I
K
E
A

blade sign would be cool. Market needs to get its vertical signs back.
This is a good idea. This mall project initially had 6-8 of vertical banners in the renderings. I am just amazed that whoever invested in this thing seems to have gotten their money back.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations