HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Is there any airport other than Salt Lake that still has a smoking lounge? I think Nashville has a tobacco shop where you can smoke, but I don't think it has a smoking lounge.
I just flew through IAD about month ago and they had a smoking lounge that was still in use.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 12:57 AM

SAS Announces First Airbus A350 Routes

"The initial route will be to Chicago, with further services added as more planes are delivered."

"The first route for the A350 is scheduled to operate between Copenhagen and Chicago. SAS say this is one of their most popular routes. Following deployment to Chicago, the A350 will be used on six other routes over the course of the year."

https://simpleflying.com/sas-a350-routes/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 2:14 PM

Qantas Announces Flights to Chicago and San Francisco

"At a media conference today (17th June) in Brisbane, Qantas CEO Alan Joyce has announced flights from Brisbane to Chicago and Brisbane to San Francisco, which will commence in April 2020."

https://simpleflying.com/qantas-flig...san-francisco/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 2:23 PM

FINALLY Rain Man can fly out of Chicago!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 3:51 PM
devout Pizzatarian

great news on the offical Qantas announcement!

in other potential new carrier at ORD news, EgyptAir just began service from cairo to dulles, and is said to be eyeing ORD for its next NA expansion.

Quote:
EgyptAir is already looking at further growth in North America. It is "studying" potential service to Chicago, says Elyan, cautioning the carrier's immediate focus remains on the new Dulles service.

"When you have one new route like Washington, it is better to have daily service before you go to another destination," he says.

Both Chicago O'Hare and Washington Dulles are hubs for EgyptAir's Star Alliance and codeshare partner United Airlines.
source: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...chicag-458699/

something to keep an eye on. if it pans out, chicago would be EgyptAir's 4th NA destination after new york, toronto, and now DC. and it would be ORD's second destination in africa.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 4:49 PM
The City

^ I truly wonder how much we will see a growth in new international routes/traffic once the Terminal 2 project is completed

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 5:09 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
in other potential new carrier at ORD news, EgyptAir just began service from cairo to dulles, and is said to be eyeing ORD for its next NA expansion.

source: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...chicag-458699/

something to keep an eye on. if it pans out, chicago would be EgyptAir's 4th NA destination after new york, toronto, and now DC. and it would be ORD's second destination in africa.
Good to hear though a bit surprising considering I thought Egypt's tourist economy was still sluggish.

If we are talking about our first North African service I'd rather have Air Maroc (Marroc) instead of Egypt Air and also speculate that it could do better serving as a gateway to Northern/Western Africa and Iberia.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Good to hear though a bit surprising considering I thought Egypt's tourist economy was still sluggish.

If we are talking about our first North African service I'd rather have Air Maroc (Marroc) instead of Egypt Air and also speculate that it could do better serving as a gateway to Northern/Western Africa and Iberia.
I was driving down the Tri State into work today and saw the Ethiopian Airlines plane parked at T5. . . that pleased me. . . then I began thinking to myself, "I wonder what the next African destination will be. . . Egypt? Morocco? Kenya? Lagos, Nigeria?"

Anyhow I'm looking forward to hearing about new African destinations. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 7:52 PM

Ethiopian has already upgraded to the larger 777 aircraft daily from the 787 8 and will add more flights later this year to ORD.

Now we need Singapore to come back with a nonstop to ORD.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Ethiopian has already upgraded to the larger 777 aircraft daily from the 787 8 and will add more flights later this year to ORD.

Now we need Singapore to come back with a nonstop to ORD.
Yes! I'm agree with you. If they have nonstop flight from ORD-SIN in near the future. I think it will be on A350-900ULR aircraft.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 7:36 AM

Hainan Airlines New Route Starts June 28

"Chinese carrier Hainan Airlines plans to add a new non-stop service to the US from Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport, the host destination of World Routes in 2016. The route to Chicago O'Hare will launch on 28 June 2019, operating two times per week using Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner."

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...?highlight=ORD

I must have completed missed the news of this additional route out of Chicago. Chengdu is becoming a popular market in China. Hainan Airlines already serves Chicago with flights to Beijing.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 1:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ yeah, that new route was posted in this thread several months ago.

however, the start date has now been pushed back to sept. 19.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...h-to-sep-2019/

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 3:18 AM

FAA sends 65 mil to build new Ohare runways

NBC story

O’Hare Airport is about to get a multi-million dollar upgrade, officials announced Monday.

The $65 million investment was unveiled by the U.S. Transportation Secretary, who said the funds would in part be used to build new runways at the world’s fourth-busiest airport.

“These construction of runways will help Chicago maintain its status as one of the busiest in the world,” FAA Assistant Administrator Bailey Edwards said.

The FAA said construction is expected to start soon.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 3:20 PM
The City

I'm confused, didn't the whole "rebuilding the runways" thing already happen in the last 1-2 decades?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 3:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I'm confused, didn't the whole "rebuilding the runways" thing already happen in the last 1-2 decades?
it's still ongoing. all runway work is supposed to be done by 2021.

9C/27C is currently U/C, and the lengthening of 9R/27L will commence once 9C/27C is open.

this will leave ORD with SIX parallel runways, the first airport in the world with such an arrangement. and 4 of them will be ~11,000+ feet in length!

source: https://www.flychicago.com/community...s/default.aspx

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 26, 2019 at 4:11 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 5:07 PM

They have finished tearing down the old TWA and United hangars for 9C-27C, so it should really start taking shape over the next year. The deice pad configuration is still a big problem as they only have one for east bound departures but none for westbound unless you taxi to the other side of the airport from the pad. Defeats the purpose of the pad. They do not want to remove 22L thank god, so that leaves no place for a eastside pad.

Also I think 28R and 28C should have been reversed as outbound flights are the ones that take the biggest delays blocking up traffic. They use 10L 28R for the departures and 10C 28C for arrivals almost exclusively thus blocking inbound traffic due to rows of aircraft waiting for departures on 10L 28R. Length aside the concept was wrong.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
They have finished tearing down the old TWA and United hangars for 9C-27C, so it should really start taking shape over the next year. The deice pad configuration is still a big problem as they only have one for east bound departures but none for westbound unless you taxi to the other side of the airport from the pad. Defeats the purpose of the pad. They do not want to remove 22L thank god, so that leaves no place for a eastside pad.

Also I think 28R and 28C should have been reversed as outbound flights are the ones that take the biggest delays blocking up traffic. They use 10L 28R for the departures and 10C 28C for arrivals almost exclusively thus blocking inbound traffic due to rows of aircraft waiting for departures on 10L 28R. Length aside the concept was wrong.
Have they started actual construction on Terminal 5 yet?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I'm a little confused about where the Terminal-1 expansion satellites are going to go, looking at this image. Seems like they would run into 4L or at least the infrastructure servicing it.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
I'm a little confused about where the Terminal-1 expansion satellites are going to go, looking at this image. Seems like they would run into 4L or at least the infrastructure servicing it.

It's clear. I think it's mostly used for departures anyway or 22R a tiny bit for arrivals, only in a very small minority of wind conditions. I think I've departed from 4L maybe once in several years and I used to fly 2-3 times a week.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 4:05 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by takascar View Post
Have they started actual construction on Terminal 5 yet?
Started construction last month and will take 2 years to complete.

"Work on two satellite concourses to the west of United's operation in terminal 1 will begin in 2020. Satellite 2 will be built first opening in 2023, likely to accommodate the United Express operation that must vacate terminal 2 before the space can be demolished. Satellite 1, which will be connected to the existing concourse C, work will begin in 2021 and complete in 2024."

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/3/20...n-construction

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation