HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 11:16 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

portland architecture dot com has a little discussion on the project. Apparently there are some really cheap and ugly garden apartments (1 story) on the current half-block site. They're def not historically or architecturally significant, although this project would replace around 40 units.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 12:54 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Here's the Lair Hill Condo or whatever its called. I think Sera designed it? Kinda cool. Took the pics yesterday.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 2:08 AM
A before E

funny, SERA use to be more of a cutting edge firm for Portland, then they got big.

I personally like Works PA, they are still a young small company and trying to find their place in Portland. I think the b side 6 is going to be a great example of their potential as a firm. From what I know of the people that work there, they are thinking quite progressively for the city which is good.

The only thing I really dont like about that rendering is its context, there is some ugly buildings around it.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 2:26 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
wow. this is about a block from my place and it's the first i've heard of it. i think i like it, but these renderings look a little too preliminary to really judge. my wife, WHO HAS AN ARCHITECTURE DEGREE SO HER OPINION IS ESPECIALLY VALID, has some reservations about it. (she saw "metal cladding" and immediately thought of the Industrial Apartments on vaughn, which she calls "pigeon cages".) i think the rendering above isn't very accurate - notice that at this angle the roof of the neighboring building is quite visible, but the proposed building's roof isn't at all, like it's at the wrong angle. probably done to reduce the perception of bulk. on the other hand, at this angle, the steps they took to open up the courtyard and make it more visible aren't visible at all. unfortunately, the kneejerk reaction of the nimbys at la torre is unsurprising.
when it comes to the built world a degree doesnt make an opinion more valid over another opinion. If that were the case, we all would respect Micheal Grave's opinion when it comes to how to build a tower in Portland, but clearly many people in Portland know more about building in Portland than Graves does.

For the people that live in la torre, I say tough, words of wisdom from my dad, before you buy always looking into what the land around you is zoned for. It is a little extra work, but when it comes to buying anything, that extra work is worth it and makes you that much smarter.

Oh and just so you know bvpcvm, I wasn't attaching your wife or you in any way, you just mentioned something that brought up a good point that I wanted to mention. As an architecture student, I am well aware of how much dedication it takes to complete a degree in it, let alone make it your life's passion. So with that in mind, I tip my hat (if I ever wore hats) to her for her hard work in the field.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
when it comes to the built world a degree doesnt make an opinion more valid over another opinion. If that were the case, we all would respect Micheal Grave's opinion when it comes to how to build a tower in Portland, but clearly many people in Portland know more about building in Portland than Graves does.
Oh and just so you know bvpcvm, I wasn't attaching your wife or you in any way, you just mentioned something that brought up a good point that I wanted to mention. As an architecture student, I am well aware of how much dedication it takes to complete a degree in it, let alone make it your life's passion. So with that in mind, I tip my hat (if I ever wore hats) to her for her hard work in the field.
dude, i was being ironic. after all, if a film maker's opinion is especially valid, imagine how much more valid the opinion of someone with an actual degree in the field.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 3:12 AM
A before E

Quote:
dude, i was being ironic. after all, if a film maker's opinion is especially valid, imagine how much more valid the opinion of someone with an actual degree in the field.
touche

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 6:50 AM
momentum

actually it does not take anyone with any degree of any creative background to be turned off by the images they put out. it just goes to show that at times it is better to show nothing, than something half-ass! especially when going to battle with a neighborhood - even you have a portfolio of nice work - your next project always has to be better.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 4:00 PM

Vanport Square tries new approach: pride in ownership
Portland - Instead of an anchor tenant with leased shops, the mall on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard is owner-occupied
Friday, January 25, 2008
ERIN HOOVER BARNETT
The Oregonian

Just three years ago, Vanport Square seemed hopelessly stalled. The city-backed shopping center project, a linchpin on Northeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, had lost another anchor tenant and significant steam.

But Thursday, developers Jeana Woolley and Ray Leary stood grateful and victorious before more than 150 project participants and well-wishers, celebrating the grand opening of their gleaming 42,000-square-foot building at 5225 N.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

The project is significant for its high-profile presence on a long-sagging boulevard but even more so for the creation of the wealth it represents. Vanport Square is owner-occupied, not leased. So far, 14 of its 16 spaces are sold or reserved. Eight of the 14 business owners are minorities, including five who are African immigrants or African American.

The project's turnaround came when the developers, both African American, abandoned the conventional approach of an anchor tenant with smaller, leased shops and reclaimed their original vision -- and their community's highest hope -- of owner-occupied spaces.

"It was by virtue of running out of conventional options that we tried something revolutionary and it worked," said Leary, a Jefferson High School graduate. "We came through tremendous odds, and public opinion was convinced we were dead on the line. . . . But we never looked down at the water."

The project's roots date to the Vanport shipbuilding community. African Americans settled there in the 1940s before the 1948 flood -- and discriminatory real estate practices -- pushed them into inner North and Northeast Portland. By the 1980s, frustrated by disinvestment, residents pushed for the Albina Community Plan. The plan called the Vanport Square site crucial to the boulevard's renewal.

The Portland Development Commission in 2001 chose Leary and Woolley, in partnership with heavy hitters Gerding Edlen Development Co., to transform the old Marco Manufacturing building and surrounding land into a commercial center.

The project required $6.8 million in taxpayer money and $2 million in federal tax credits purchased by Wells Fargo Bank. By comparison, the city spent about $8.5 million in property tax revenues to help build the tram.

Vanport Square business owners received loans at less than 1 percent interest for the first 10 years to buy their spaces. The lender was the Portland Family of Funds, which sells the federal tax credits. Sales prices for the units, however, were close to market rate at $266 a square foot, according to the commission's project manager. Each business must build out its space.

Leary credited Mark Edlen for lending the clout to get and hold the commission's attention.

Gerding Edlen recommended the conventional leased approach. But when one anchor tenant after another fell away, Leary and Woolley parted with Gerding Edlen and revisited their original condo-style approach with a new consultant, Jeff Sackett.

The building is opening on a significantly changed boulevard, thanks in part to the market but also the development commission. Four other PDC-supported projects have been or are being built, though some are struggling to fill spaces. Vanport Square's second phase, anchored by a major fitness club, is expected to break ground this summer.

Leary told Thursday's gathering that amid the many new residents in this changing neighborhood, Vanport Square will stand as a reminder of the Vanport community.

"Their historic roots are the shoulders we stand on," he said.

For business owner Mohamed Yousuf, who rented space for his Horn of Africa Restaurant for 11 years, Vanport Square is the realization of a dream.

"My wife and I were working hard, and we achieved our goal," Yousuf said. "I'm so excited."

Erin Hoover Barnett: 503-294-5011; ehbarnett@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/o...830.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 4:25 PM

The parking lot at 5th and Market is being torn up downtown.

In addition, some of the majestic trees there were felled, leaving one scrawny thing standing?

I guess I sadly have to presume this is just a repave job, but anyone know anything? Excavator and dump trucks on site.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 4:58 PM

Noticed two nights ago when visiting cyan site

I noticed the fence and etc two nights ago when I was visiting the cyan site.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...19508396867295

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 5:57 PM

^^^I think what they are doing with the site is in response to the walls that hold up that lot were beginning to crack and bulge, especially along the 4th avenue side and I'm guessing thats why they were cutting down trees and blocking off sidewalks-because it was becoming unsafe.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 6:45 PM

There are no permits issued. It's just a repave. There was a nuisance complaint in August for overgrown shrubbery, looks like they took care of that.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 7:58 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

^ yeah, I saw that too. Its the block that is surrounded by the old, 150 year old stone wall that had the old church that burned down many years ago. The stone wall is being ripped out.

Unfortunately, it created a wall effect on the block that, ironically, was probably the influence for all the other wall & podium buildings in the area, but really sucks for streetside activity.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 11:20 PM

Regarding the Upshur development...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post

For the people that live in la torre, I say tough, words of wisdom from my dad, before you buy always looking into what the land around you is zoned for. It is a little extra work, but when it comes to buying anything, that extra work is worth it and makes you that much smarter.
As a La Torre condominium owner, I'd like to respond to this and share a little perspective.

The structure that this concept drawing shows:

Is not allowed under current zoning. The north half of the building is on Vaughn street, which is zoned "CS" and allows a 45 foot height limit. The developer wants an allowance to overbuild this particular megaplex to "RH" rules, which allow a 65 foot height limit. Put another way, he wants permission to raise the height ceiling 44% on half of his building. The engineers, lawyers, and architects who live and work in the La Torre building are quite aware of the zoning around us, thank you. What we're finding out is that if a developer waves enough money and dangles a high-density development carrot at the city, those zoning regulations might not mean much. It may also set a pretty dangerous precedent.

I'm sorry if I come across as a little defensive, but I'm one of the people who this development will impact quite directly. I also commented on this project on the Portland architecture blog.

Portland Architecture Blog

I think we have some pretty legitimate concerns but am very open to hearing how this will be a "good thing" for our block.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 1:43 AM

right, but the upshur side allows 65', isn't that correct? la torre itself only extends half the way from upshur up to vaughn, and so won't abut the portion of the structure that is 'overbuilt'. (from what i understand the whole thing will be 65' tall, but your point was that 65' isn't allowed along vaughn.) moreover, as i understand it the rendering above is very preliminary and la torre residents were informed recently that more recent plans show the project stepping back from your building.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 1:46 AM

E Burnside & 28th ave photo

I took this photo of the E. Burnside and 28th ave construction site at 14:53 on Fri 25Jan08. This site uses Econo blocks for shoring that are made with left over concrete that is remaining in a mixer after a pour. The blocks weigh about 3800 lbs. The blocks will be removed and reused.

The construction crew will start working on tieing rebar for concrete next week. The building's frame will be steel. There will be parking below ground w/ retail on the first floor and condos on the next five floors.
http://www.holstarc.com/

1200x460

Last edited by Castillonis; Jan 28, 2008 at 8:36 AM. Reason: their to there

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 2:10 AM

Quote:
right, but the upshur side allows 65', isn't that correct?
That is correct. I probably didn't make that clear in my initial reply but that was what I was trying to say. It's a split zone site. One half (Vaughn) is CS, the other (Upshur) is RH.

Quote:
la torre itself only extends half the way from upshur up to vaughn, and so won't abut the portion of the structure that is 'overbuilt'.
Doesn't abut it, but impacts & limits the views of several of the units facing north.

Quote:
(from what i understand the whole thing will be 65' tall, but your point was that 65' isn't allowed along vaughn.) moreover, as i understand it the rendering above is very preliminary and la torre residents were informed recently that more recent plans show the project stepping back from your building.
I understand that it is preliminary but the rendering that shows the Vaughn street side is pretty close to what it's going to be, with the exception that the material for the facade isn't finalized yet.

Setbacks have been increased on the Upshur side, as you mention. I still think the building is a poor candidate for the sight. Developer is asking for the advantages of the RH zone (increased height) without providing the amenities (parking), because technically it will still be a CS zone. This building isn't near the MAX or the street car, either.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 2:26 AM

btw, i live about a block away. honestly, the fact that there will be height along vaughn doesn't bother me in the least, especially given that there will be some retail where right now there's a wall. and regarding lost views - views of what? montgomery park and esco? good grief. we live in a city. cities change. they're densely populated.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 2:58 AM

Mississippi Lofts, 2nd floor, photo

I took the photos that comprise this image on Fri 25Jan08.
1200x712

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 3:19 AM

Mississippi and N Failing project photo

I took this photo of the Mississippi and N Failing project on Fri 25Jan08. The crane looms above Mississippi avenue. It is quite a contrast.
1200x900

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland