HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 8:33 AM

Sacramento Sports Scene

So we have the Kings...for now...hopefully!
And a minor league baseball.

But I need more!
This city is so lacking in sports...what can we do?

Any reason to hope for a major league baseball team? NFL, NBA, NHL, heck, even MLS....thats pro soccer to uninitiated...in the near future? sometime in the future? sometime in our lifetime?

How about a pro golf tournament? guys or gals. Same goes for pro tennis tournament. (team tennis is not a real sport. its exhibition.)

Lack of pro sports is only outdone by pathetic college sports in Sac.
Sac State football is a disgrace. And their basketball team plays in an "arena" thats seats 1,000.

Please, don't even bring up the Bay Area as an option.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 1:05 PM
Repeat!

I doubt Sacramento will see a new professional sports team for decades. Most of the current major sports leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL) aren't looking to expand for quite some time. The Giants are in a new stadium; the A's and 49ers most likely will be in new stadiums in the Bay Area; the NHL is in horrible shape and has too many teams as it is -- and already has a team in San Jose. That pretty much leaves the Raiders, but I think they'd go back to LA before considering Sacramento; a billionaire in LA wants to build a brand-new stadium himself, which Sacramento obviously lacks. Unless LA gets the Chargers I doubt Sac would get a second look from Al Davis.

As for golf and tennis, what are the quality of the current courses and courts? Any possible investment in them to draw more crowds? The only course I know that's hosted anything major was a celebrity golf tournament in Granite Bay.

MLS has potential, but they'd need a stadium here first.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 3:40 PM

Here's something odd: Ron Artest interviewing Kobe Bryant
http://video.google.com/videosearch?...n&sitesearch=#

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 10:27 PM

Sacramento had a chance to land the A's but that ship has sailed ...maybe we can lure a NHL franchise if a new arena is ever built. I don't see a mlb and definitely not a nfl team in Sac in the near future.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 11:39 PM

I do see a MLS team in the next 10 years. NHL?? Maybe if the arena is built, but frankly, the league shouldn't have teams in warm weather cities. Plus there are cities that are head of us such as Portland and Seattle before the league looks at Sacramento.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 11:55 PM

Fitting that this thread should start today! Breaking news that the corrupt referee who officiated over games 6 and 7 of the Kings-Lakers series has admitted that the league conspired to make that series go to the full 7 games AND that they made calls specifically to make the Lakers win!!!

from the Bee:
Quote:
Was Kings' '02 series loss fixed?

Bee Sports staff -

Last Updated 4:39 pm PDT Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The former NBA referee facing prison time after admitting to gambling on games is indirectly claiming the controversial Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference finals was fixed to ensure the Los Angeles Lakers would beat the Kings.
In a letter sent to the sentencing court, Tim Donaghy alleges that two of the three referees in that game, known to be "company men," wanted to extend the series to a deciding seventh game. The team that lost Game 6 had two players ejected, the letter claims, and eventually lost the series.
The Lakers-Kings series was the only matchup of the 2002 playoffs that went seven games. No Kings were ejected, but two players - centers Vlade Divac and Scot Pollard - did foul out.

Read more on this story in Wednesday's Bee.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuhickman79 View Post
Fitting that this thread should start today! Breaking news that the corrupt referee who officiated over games 6 and 7 of the Kings-Lakers series has admitted that the league conspired to make that series go to the full 7 games AND that they made calls specifically to make the Lakers win!!!

from the Bee:
Donaghy wasn't a ref in either of those games. He is saying that two of the three refs in game 6 wanted to extend the series to seven games that what I assume the request of the NBA since they were "company men". There was no mention of game seven being fixed though. (The Kings killed themselves in that game)

Whether or not this is true, the NBA has a serious problem with public perception about officiating. While it could be true, wouldn't surprise me if stuff like this does go on, and as a Kings fan my feelings make me want to believe it.....this is a man trying to get out of jail...he will say anything.

But then again...they said Canseco was full of it.

With that said....I still want to know how it's possible for Christie's face to get a foul when getting in the way of Kobe's swinging elbow...

Last edited by sugit; Jun 11, 2008 at 2:03 AM. Reason: Changed Nose to Face

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
I do see a MLS team in the next 10 years. NHL?? Maybe if the arena is built, but frankly, the league shouldn't have teams in warm weather cities. Plus there are cities that are head of us such as Portland and Seattle before the league looks at Sacramento.
I can see MLS too.

I thought I read that Sacramento was either originally supposed to get a team, or maybe the first expansion..but they wanted a stadium built for the team.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
Donaghy wasn't a ref in either of those games. He is saying that two of the three refs in game 6 wanted to extend the series to seven games that what I assume the request of the NBA since they were "company men". There was no mention of game seven being fixed though. (The Kings killed themselves in that game)

Whether or not this is true, the NBA has a serious problem with public perception about officiating. While it could be true, wouldn't surprise me if stuff like this does go on, and as a Kings fan my feelings make me want to believe it.....this is a man trying to get out of jail...he will say anything.

But then again...they said Canseco was full of it.

With that said....I still want to know how it's possible for Christie's nose to get a foul when getting in the way of Kobe's swinging elbow...
They said on Channel 13 that he did officiate. Either way, it's a bad day for the NBA. They should repay us with an arena!!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 12:31 AM

I think Ch 13 has it wrong...I believe Bob Delaney (wrote a book about infiltrating the mob), Ted Bernhardt, and Dick Bavetta (Def a company man) were the refs for game 6.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 1:13 AM

I really wish we had Arena football here. I think Sac will embrace that as the NFL is never coming here. But with Arena already in San Jose that is not likely too.

I love college sports and my hope is that Sac State builds a new arena for basketball and we'd certainly see an improvement in college hoops recruitment and attendance here in town for the Hornets. Same goes with improvements for the football team.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 1:37 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:

With that said....I still want to know how it's possible for Christie's nose to get a foul when getting in the way of Kobe's swinging elbow...

I believe that was Bibby's nose that fouled Bryant..

There is no logical expalnantion that a team (the Lakers) should get (i think it was 24 fouls called against the Kings) in the fourth period of game 6..

That btw was Dick Bavetta's who called that game and kept blowing the whistle.. I can't recall the other two refs.

I normally don't believe in conspiracies; but just about every locale outside of L.A. knows game 6 was given to the Lakers.

Game 7 would have been the Kings had they hit their freethrows.

Anyway that 2002 Lakers championship has a big fat asterisks attatched to it.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
I believe that was Bibby's nose that fouled Bryant..
Yeah, I remember the Bibby one, there was a similar occurrence that happen to Christie as well. Thinking back though, I think it was his face that got in Kobe's way, not his nose like I thought it was.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 2:57 AM
Repeat!

The Kings should get a first pick after this bullshit. A significant contribution to a new arena would be fitting as well.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 4:14 AM

Next season, the Kings should put a 2002 NBA championship banner at Arco...Kings would have sweep the Nets. On that note, GO CELTICS!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 4:18 AM

Quote:
I can see MLS too.

I thought I read that Sacramento was either originally supposed to get a team, or maybe the first expansion..but they wanted a stadium built for the team.
Too bad the MLS season is during Triple A season.. Raley field makes a good futbol stadium.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
Too bad the MLS season is during Triple A season.. Raley field makes a good futbol stadium.
Unfortunately, MLS is requiring soccer specific stadium for expansion teams.
I don't think Raley Field would make a good soccer stadium. It just seems to me that the shape of baseball field isn't condusive to rectangular soccer field.
What do you all think?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 7:50 PM
Kodachrome

Former NBA ref alleges a 2002 fix in Kings-Lakers series
By Scott Howard-Cooper - showard-cooper@sacbee.com
Wednesday, June 11, 2008

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/1004361.html

The former NBA referee facing prison after admitting to gambling on games claims Game 6 of a 2002 playoffs series was fixed to ensure a seventh game.

Tim Donaghy does not specify the teams or the referees. But the Los Angeles Lakers-Kings series was the only one in 2002 to go seven games.

In a letter filed Tuesday in federal court in Brooklyn, N.Y., that attempts to show his level of cooperation in hopes of receiving a lighter jail term, Donaghy alleges two of that game's three referees were "company men" who used "manipulation" to extend the series to a deciding seventh game. The team that lost Game 6 had two players "ejected," claims the letter from Donaghy attorney John F. Lauro, and later lost the series.

And while no Kings were ejected, Vlade Divac and Scot Pollard did foul out as Shaquille O'Neal attempted 17 free throws in a 106-102 loss in Los Angeles.

"Referees A, F, and G were officiating a playoff series between the Team 5 and Team 6 in May of 2002," the letter states, using place holders instead of names. "It was the sixth game of a seven-game series, and a Team 5 victory that night would have ended the series. However, Tim learned from Referee A that Referees A and F wanted to extend the series to seven games. Tim knew Referees A and F to be 'company men,' always acting in the interest of the NBA, and that night, it was in the NBA's best interest to add another game to the series."

The letter goes on to say the two referees heavily favored Team 6, ignoring blatant fouls committed by its players and calling "made-up" fouls against Team 5, giving Team 6 more free throw chances.

"The referees' favoring of Team 6 led to that team's victory that night and Team 6 came back from behind to win the series," the letter states.

The referees – a highly rated crew of veterans Dick Bavetta, Bob Delaney and Ted Bernhardt – called the Kings for 31 fouls in the game that sent the Lakers to the line for 40 attempts, including 27 in the decisive fourth quarter of the 106-102 L.A. win. Three of the Kings' fouls were intentional to stop the clock and get the ball back over the final 19.8 seconds. The Kings, by comparison, shot 25 free throws the entire game on 24 Lakers fouls.

Usually forgotten, at least outside of Los Angeles, is how the Lakers were just as adamant at being wronged by late calls in what became a 92-91 Kings victory in Game 5 that gave Sacramento a 3-2 series edge. The Lakers then won the hotly controversial Game 6 and followed with an overtime victory in Game 7 to win the conference title and advance to the NBA Finals.

"I haven't looked at the letters specifically. I've had portions of it read to me, and all I can say is he's looking for anything that will somehow shorten his sentence, and it's not going to happen," Commissioner David Stern said Tuesday in Los Angeles.

How would lies benefit Donaghy? "You'd have to ask his lawyer," Stern said.

Even if unfounded, Donaghy's claims peck at a continuing perception problem for the league, in Sacramento in particular because of lingering resentment over the 2002 series. The officials' work in that series became such mainstream conjecture that consumer advocate Ralph Nader and a group, the League of Fans, sent a letter to Stern urging a review of the "notorious" refereeing, though Nader also quickly let the issue pass.

On Tuesday, after news that the debate over their defeat six years ago had been revived, the Kings declined comment. In Los Angeles, Lakers coach Phil Jackson was asked before Game 3 of the championship series against the Boston Celtics whether he would accept the notion that the officials in question were "company men" who threw the game for the sake of the league.

"Only us basketball coaches think that," he said, smirking. "Nobody else can go to that extreme. They referee what they see in front of them."

Donaghy spent 13 years as an NBA referee, with decent reviews from his bosses, before he was caught in an FBI investigation into organized-crime activities. He resigned in July and pleaded guilty in August to conspiracy to commit wire fraud as part of a scheme to defraud the NBA and conspiracy to transmit wagering information across state lines. He acknowledged using insider information to gamble on games and passing along little-known details to others for cash.

He is scheduled to be sentenced July 14 and faces 33 months in prison.

NUMBERS TELL THE TALE?

While former NBA referee Tim Donaghy did not specifically mention which 2002 playoff series was fixed, the Lakers-Kings Western Conference finals is the only one that fits his description. A statistical look at Game 6:

Lakers Kings

Final score 106 102

Free throws 34-40 18-25

4th-quarter FTs 21-27 7-9

Fouled out None Divac, Pollard

Fouls called 24 31

4th-quarter fouls 8 16

Officials: Dick Bavetta, Ted Bernhardt, Bob Delaney

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 5:02 PM

I think that eventually (5-10) years both Sac State and UC Davis will move up to 1-A football and the WAC. UCD has a ton of potential to have a strong college program. They have a huge unclaimed market, great academics, large student body, etc. I think the WAC realizes it.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I think that eventually (5-10) years both Sac State and UC Davis will move up to 1-A football and the WAC. UCD has a ton of potential to have a strong college program. They have a huge unclaimed market, great academics, large student body, etc. I think the WAC realizes it.
Both will seriously need to upgrade facilities for that to happen (minimum 30,000 seat stadium). Playwise, UCD is closer to Div 1A than Sac State but I'm not sure either is ready for Div 1A for another 10 to 15 years or so. Sac State can't currently win at Div 1AA (FCS) even though they've been there for almost a decade. I think teams like Boise St and Fresno state may have to move on for Sac and UCD to be considered or added. But anything can happen. Look at U of South Florida. Football did not exist at USF till 1997 when they joined 1-AA. Moved to 1-A in 2001 and were ranked as high as 2nd nationally last season.

Sac State baseball already plays in the WAC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area