HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
No one said that. I'm saying it will be. Probably between 130 and 973.
If he builds his Headquarters here like the one in California, then your prediction makes sense. He would need land for a sprawling campus- like HQ. He seems to like having amenities like parkland around his buildings. Also, being relatively close to the airport and factory would be a plus.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 3:31 AM

I didn't know Elon Musk had a private foundation. But it is apparently relocating to Austin from California according to Bloomberg:

https://www.statesman.com/story/busi...in/6483339002/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 4:10 AM

You know, I’m not a Musk fanboy by any means, but he’s got some interesting Captain of Industry throwback qualities that could really benefit Austin. Meaning... he’ll potentially want his name (or Tesla’s, or Boring, or etc) slapped on Good Works all over town. I know he doesn’t like marketing per se, but he def likes press, and seems to really want to actively cheerlead for TX and Austin. He could be a very active benefactor for the city. A little like having our own adopted Andrew Carnegie.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 2:00 PM
Voice of the Modern World

If Elon Musk was a Pokemon, he’d be a Lugia. One of a kind and only one in the world.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 3:11 PM

maybe Musk can bring an art museum to Austin....

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
You know, I’m not a Musk fanboy by any means, but he’s got some interesting Captain of Industry throwback qualities that could really benefit Austin. Meaning... he’ll potentially want his name (or Tesla’s, or Boring, or etc) slapped on Good Works all over town. I know he doesn’t like marketing per se, but he def likes press, and seems to really want to actively cheerlead for TX and Austin. He could be a very active benefactor for the city. A little like having our own adopted Andrew Carnegie.
you know what's funny is that a decent amount of these guys DO NOT want their names on the buildings/facilities but are asked for rights anyway to encourage future donations. I can think of hospitals where this is the case

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 7:06 PM

Tesla adding another $5 billion in cash bringing their total to around $20 billion for the year. Something is brewing. Perhaps a new HQ? What Ford did for Detroit Musk will do for Austin. Gonna be fun to watch. The Elon Musk Museum.

https://www.thehenryford.org/

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 8:02 PM

Musk confirms he’s moved to Texas, won’t say whether an HQ move will happen.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/te...xas-2020-12-08

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 8:21 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
Tesla adding another $5 billion in cash bringing their total to around $20 billion for the year. Something is brewing. Perhaps a new HQ? What Ford did for Detroit Musk will do for Austin. Gonna be fun to watch. The Elon Musk Museum.

Uh, been to Detroit in the last 50 years?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Uh, been to Detroit in the last 50 years?
Yep. I guess you missed the point with the comparison.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 9:03 PM
Rundberg & I35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post

Apple's Headquarters cost 5 billion dollars........ could we see an insane 5 billion dollar structure being built somewhere in Austin?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 9:05 PM

Raising $5 billion just for a new HQ would be nonsensical. The difference between Apple and Tesla is that Apple has been immensely profitable for many years and has literal hundreds of billions in the bank.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
Apple's Headquarters cost 5 billion dollars........ could we see an insane 5 billion dollar structure being built somewhere in Austin?
I don't think they would spend nearly that much for a new HQ but with Musk you never know. Would be cool to see the Republic add 500-700 feet and house all his companies in the same building. I don't know if adding height to the Republic is even feasible though.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
maybe Musk can bring an art museum to Austin....
He hasn't been that type of donor as far as I can tell. It seems like most of his donations go to mission/action-oriented organizations (as opposed to passive stuff like fine arts), and usually through his foundation. He doesn't really seem to be the type to fund a museum.

We'd probably improve our chances if we begged for a science museum or planetarium. Maybe we can appeal to his ego and convince him to make one that puts the Perot Museum to shame, right in the south central waterfront.

Perhaps he'll fall in love with Austin and change his MO but I don't see him as tied to a sense of place in the way that other rich people seem to be. That's especially true if he makes good on his promise to not buy a house.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
He hasn't been that type of donor as far as I can tell. It seems like most of his donations go to mission/action-oriented organizations (as opposed to passive stuff like fine arts), and usually through his foundation. He doesn't really seem to be the type to fund a museum.

We'd probably improve our chances if we begged for a science museum or planetarium. Maybe we can appeal to his ego and convince him to make one that puts the Perot Museum to shame, right in the south central waterfront.

Perhaps he'll fall in love with Austin and change his MO but I don't see him as tied to a sense of place in the way that other rich people seem to be. That's especially true if he makes good on his promise to not buy a house.
I agree. The one factor that could have been a potential to push him into something like a museum would have been a wife/girlfriend ask for it. In this case his girlfriend doesn't seem like that type of old-money, high-society person who would be interested in doing that as her "job".

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_jeremy View Post
I agree. The one factor that could have been a potential to push him into something like a museum would have been a wife/girlfriend ask for it. In this case his girlfriend doesn't seem like that type of old-money, high-society person who would be interested in doing that as her "job".
She is a musician though. It would be cool to see them put some money into the local music scene. Maybe a donation to HAAM?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 7:53 PM

Sinton which is just north of Corpus Christi will be the steel supplier for Tesla.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kii...2-2dc0081d75f3

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 4:08 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

This popped up in my feed today and figured I'd post it here. I'm sure it will stir up some conversation.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/12/...-off-our-hands

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
This popped up in my feed today and figured I'd post it here. I'm sure it will stir up some conversation.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/12/...-off-our-hands
pure cope lol

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
pure cope lol
Yeah, California messed with him.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin