HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 10:40 PM
ARTchitecture

Oh really? I didn't realize that!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 8:51 PM

Yeah that was the home of the whitecaps for decades.

Wallcentre is looking better. Still nothing amazing, but it could be a lot worse.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 9:39 AM

Park Avenue in Surrey adjacent the King George skytrain station.

A yet to be named proposal located between the Patterson and Metrotown skytrain stations in Burnaby. Roughly 450m away from either station.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 12:30 PM
ARTchitecture

Wow that looks awesome. That's about as far from Patterson as I lived, and it's really not a deterrent to using the skytrain. I dunno what everyone is talking about here that metrotown isn't walkable/livable... I loved living there, the mall is part of its walkability/livability, it's the second largest mall in the country for gods sake! All of these towers, with their store front retail and everything are really going to do amazing things for metrotown. I hope they propose a redevelopment for Old Orchard strip mall soon, it's basically the last underdeveloped place to go in that area, besides the mall parking lot.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 5:17 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Wow that looks awesome. That's about as far from Patterson as I lived, and it's really not a deterrent to using the skytrain. I dunno what everyone is talking about here that Metrotown isn't walkable/livable... I loved living there, the mall is part of its walk-ability/livability, it's the second largest mall in the country for gods sake! All of these towers, with their store front retail and everything are really going to do amazing things for Metrotown. I hope they propose a redevelopment for Old Orchard strip mall soon, it's basically the last underdeveloped place to go in that area, besides the mall parking lot.
I know what you mean.
I live a block away from Old Orchard mall. There are some places in Metrotown, like the Crystal Mall with it's pedestrian lane and Public Library area to the north that are excellent for walk-ability. There are other places, like the back side of the mall and some of the narrow sidewalks and blank walls that are terrible though. However, the city is doing very well by demanding 'Vancouver' style developments. The Sovereign alone replaces a nasty decrepit collection of ramshackle buildings and empty lots. Station Square was hands down one of the worst anti-pedestrian pro-car and downright ugly places in all of Metro Vancouver, and now it's going to be the polar opposite in a few years.

I do hope that Old Orchard is one of the next to be redeveloped, though would likely happen after the first phases of Station Square is well on it's way and the new Save-On opens up there.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 5:25 PM
ARTchitecture

Yeah exactly. I have this weird feeling that the Sovereign is going to be even nicer than was shown in the rendering.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 7:47 PM

A few Burnaby updates:

Metroplace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
taken today
Metrotower III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 9:17 PM

Jeez Metrotower looks better than most downtown office buildings in Canada.

What a gem.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 10:34 PM
ARTchitecture

I am in love with Metrotower III. Metrotown is going to look so cool in a couple years.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 6:32 PM

Yeah Metrotower III is a knockout. Even on overcast days the curved, mirror finished curtain wall glazing reflects so much light.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 12:20 AM

Metrotower 3 is indeed a very good looking building, Metrotown is going to be very impressive after this boom cycle is over.

Anyways, once again Metro-Vancouver shows how TOD is to be done!

This is the most recent info on the King George Station development:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
So I've found out the park and ride for king george will still be there when this is built it will just be added into the underground parking lot.

the retail will wrap around from King George up Fraser hwy all the way to the first residential tower

The plaza added here are also are being planned for future use of events and celebrations. So more is added to the city

the office towers are coast capital at 10 and the other two will have 11
the resisdential towers will be 44, 46, 48, and 50 storeys

they also plan to make community house and park area

now for the pictures I may post a few already seen so sorry

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 1:17 AM

WOW!! I hope Toronto gets some TOD like that on the spadina extension or the LRT lines... that looks amazing! the condo towers are rather meh, but the urbanism looks great as well as the office towers.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 2:37 AM

Strathearn Heights Redvelopment, a TOD currently seeking zoning revisions to move ahead on a centrally located piece of land in Edmonton adjacent to a stop on the proposed southeast LRT line (strathearn station on the following map):

The site is currently littered with dozens these three story walkups:

http://www.strathearnheights.com/about.html

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Jeez Metrotower looks better than most downtown office buildings in Canada.

What a gem.
Metrotower is pretty bland imo, but it doesn't take much to be better than most new office towers in Canada:

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 3:00 AM
Dérive-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
We have a condo in Hampton Place across the st and while I am being a hypocrite here, it is sad at how much old growth is being lost here.
If it makes you feel any better, it's all second growth forest. All of Point Grey, including what is now Pacific Spirit Park, was cut down 100+ years ago during Vancouver's logging heyday. I don't believe there is any actual old growth left anywhere in the city... only a few stumps like The Hollow Tree in Stanley Park.

http://wiki.ubc.ca/CFS:_Second-growt...st_Douglas-fir

But with that said it is still a shame to lose so much green space. At least they're doing it for a dense development and not a sprawling subdivision housing only a fraction the population.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
If it makes you feel any better, it's all second growth forest. All of Point Grey, including what is now Pacific Spirit Park, was cut down 100+ years ago during Vancouver's logging heyday. I don't believe there is any actual old growth left anywhere in the city... only a few stumps like The Hollow Tree in Stanley Park.

http://wiki.ubc.ca/CFS:_Second-growt...st_Douglas-fir

But with that said it is still a shame to lose so much green space. At least they're doing it for a dense development and not a sprawling subdivision housing only a fraction the population.
The only old growth that I know of is in Lighthouse park in West Van. Check it out if you haven't been, it's pretty incredible.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 3:46 PM
Community Guy

^^interesting to know, thanks. I could have sworn that some of it had been old growth... and given the size of some of those trees I was convinced.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 8:16 PM
ARTchitecture

This isn't being marketed as a TOD, but in effect it will be, as it is only a block away from O-Train's Carling Station. The O-Train will be integrated into Ottawa's LRT network once the Confederation Line is finished in 2018 or so.

The 138 meter, 42 story Claridge Icon in Ottawa's Little Italy. Will be the new tallest for the national Capital Region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
https://twitter.com/neilmalhotra/sta...80237359104001
Neil Malhotra
‏@neilmalhotra
Thought I'd post new image of Claridge icon - a whole new facade facing Preston

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyteknight View Post
Strathearn Heights Redvelopment, a TOD currently seeking zoning revisions to move ahead on a centrally located piece of land in Edmonton adjacent to a stop on the proposed southeast LRT line (strathearn station on the following map):

The site is currently littered with dozens these three story walkups:

http://www.strathearnheights.com/about.html
Forgive my ignorance but does Edmonton have any existing TOD around any of it's LRT stations?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 1:22 AM

Port Moody's early concepts for it's future Evergreen line stations:

http://www.tricitynews.com/news/198195341.htmlhttp://

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada