HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
It is an improvement, though. They wanted to put the school for the NE zone by the university.

I didn't take a good look at the plans but you're right, they are flawed. It's still better than Hillcrest, though. That has 16 different levels, all accessible by stairs. I think only 4 classrooms are wheel chair accessible?

I haven't been updating TBDevelopments but will resume soon. I got an email development update from JMehagan the other day:

Housing starts and building permits are both down, so this year might be slower than last. Several large projects are also schedules to wrap up this year.
Not many house start up but more larger projects. I would like to keep it this way actually.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 3:53 AM
I am a typical

I don't know, those condos on Red River Road are hideous, and if that fire in Edmonton taught us anything last year, very dangerous as well. I would have preferred the 22 storey highrise that was proposed for the site to have been built, but as we all know, *shadows*

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 1:59 PM

Quote:
I don't know, those condos on Red River Road are hideous, and if that fire in Edmonton taught us anything last year, very dangerous as well. I would have preferred the 22 storey highrise that was proposed for the site to have been built, but as we all know, *shadows*
Damn it Vid, run for mayor already!! I never even heard rumors of a 22 story proposal. Who was against it!? It would have made a great addition to the skyline looking from intercity.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 12:26 AM
I am a typical

Shortly before Pine Street School was demolished, I think St. Joe's or some other group said that they wanted to erect a 20 to 24 storey building on that site, but people living in the area opposed it because it would cast shadows on their properties, and cause traffic congestion. They are valid arguments, but still, that is a medium to high density area on a four lane road and that particular stretch only gets moderate amounts of traffic. The tower would have been aimed at retirees, so traffic wouldn't have been that much of an issue. There was never any real proposal, it was just an idea that was kicked around and killed almost instantly. But you are right about the effect on the skyline -- the two four storey condos on that site now have a pretty good impact on the skyline, especially looking up Memorial. A 22 storey tower would have been simply monolithic. That site is only a few blocks away from the tallest point in the urban area, which is currently topped by Hillcrest High School. I have no idea what's going to happen to it once it's vacated. The building is (when I was last there in early 2007) in pretty bad condition, and renovating it like FWCI would probably be a monumental task. As sad as it may be, I think it will be demolished shortly after the new school opens.

And lots of people have been telling me to run for council lately. I think I might try it in 2010.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 1:24 PM

I drove by downtown PA yesterday and noticed that a new tenant moved into the office across from the chronicle journal. Sencia Web Development.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 7:26 PM
I am a typical

Where were they before? I think they were on Bay Street or something but I could be wrong. They're probably expanding, they've built pretty much every local website at this point.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Where were they before? I think they were on Bay Street or something but I could be wrong. They're probably expanding, they've built pretty much every local website at this point.
It's pretty much split between Sencia and Korkola Designs. Both are expanding because they both moved into larger offices. Also Firedog Communication renovated some office space near the old post office and just moved in. We seem to have a large amount of Tech based companies in Downtown PA nowadays.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 11:41 PM
I am a typical

I noticed Firedog move too, that building used to house an accounting firm. They still have their logo on Ruttan Block last time I checked though.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 10:48 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Woohoo!

Council approves waterfront hotel
By Gord Young - North Bay Nugget

Council gave its approval Monday for the construction of a resort hotel and conference centre on the city’s waterfront.

The project, which is conditional upon the sale in 90 days of the former Kenroc/Uniroc site on Memorial Drive to the Vranco group of companies, would see a 135-room resort hotel and 1,100-seat conference centre built on the property that’s sat vacant for more than a decade.

“This would not have been possible had it not been for the city’s new brownfield remediation plan,” said Coun. Mike Anthony, chairman of the city community services committee.

The city recently adopted the brownfield improvement plan that offers incentives such as tax breaks and grants to developers to help defray the costs of environmental cleanup. Anthony, however, couldn’t say what incentives may be attached to the proposal.

The property, about 1.8 hectares, was once slated for residential development, but expensive cleanup costs and liability concerns dashed those plans several years ago, and the land has since been used only as a parking lot or midway site during community events.

It was purchased by the city in 1995, and is said to have been home to a foundry before Craig Bit Co. Ltd. began manufacturing drill bits and rods for the mining industry in 1947. Kenroc Tools Inc. took over the operation in 1988, and Uniroc several years later. Anthony said the Vranco proposal was among five received by the city following its effort to market the property.

He said the facility will allow the city to host conferences and events that it’s never been able to in the past.

And he suggested it will complement existing hotels, which will benefit from “spillover” business.

Anthony said the facility likely represents dozens of full-time jobs and an investment of tens of millions of dollars in the city.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 12:45 AM
I am a typical

I wish Thunder Bay was progressive like North Bay.

A bunch of Nimbys (Like, 5?) were at City Hell last night to protest the skate park.

The Navy Vets gave up their youth so we could enjoy ours, so how DARE we enjoy ours!

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 11:17 AM
BANNED

I agree, that's fucking sad. As a devout libertarian, I am very stingy with tax money since I believe society is better off with low taxes and small government but skateparks are one of those things I have no problem seeing my tax money go towards since it gets young people outdoors providing them with an activity that is healthy and skateboarding teachs them to take chances and they have fun. Besides, they don't cost that much!

What possible problem could people have with a skatepark?

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
I agree, that's fucking sad. As a devout libertarian, I am very stingy with tax money since I believe society is better off with low taxes and small government but skateparks are one of those things I have no problem seeing my tax money go towards since it gets young people outdoors providing them with an activity that is healthy and skateboarding teachs them to take chances and they have fun. Besides, they don't cost that much!

What possible problem could people have with a skatepark?
The main arguments are that,

1. It will create too much noise.
2. A skatepark doesn't belong in a park
3. Its located about 50 meters away from a naval memorial.
4. And obviously graffiti and garbage.

Obviously all of the youth are working hard to get the stereotype that all skateboarders are punks out of peoples minds. I mean they promised to raise up to 1/5th of the funds needed to build the park.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 8:00 PM
I am a typical

You also have to consider that Thunder Bay is more than 50% old people, and old people hate change. They want things to stay the same until they die so that they don't get scared.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 9:21 PM
Beer me Captain

Where was the skate park proposed for??

Do something about your future.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 9:39 PM
I am a typical

Marina Park, right across from the Naval Anchorage Memorial

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...05386&t=h&z=18

The grassy/treed area north of the pedestrian overpass, between the tracks and Marina Park Drive. It's going to be like the one in Winnipeg, set up more like a plaza than bare concrete skatepark, which is better. It allows for more creativity, and takes them off of buildings in the core because those features (stairs, ramps, etc.,) are present in the park itself.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 1:42 AM
Beer me Captain

Thanks - yeah that would be such a loss, losing that beautiful lawn to them dam skaters!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 3:41 AM
BANNED

I realize that these arguments probably aren't your arguments, but i'm going to dismantle them anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D View Post
The main arguments are that,

1. It will create too much noise.
Since when did the whole world become a library? Overall, skateboarders don't make nearly as much noise as cars do but I don't see a lot of people trying to ban cars.

Quote:
2. A skatepark doesn't belong in a park
That one is actually so insane as to be infradig to a response.

Quote:
3. Its located about 50 meters away from a naval memorial.
God forbid those skaters might actually be exposed to a little history! That would be awful! Seriously though, i've met a lot of skaters in my life and I can't remember one of them ever saying they were looking for the nearest naval memorial they could vandalize.

Quote:
4. And obviously graffiti and garbage.
Kids that are going to do graffiti are going to do it regardless of a skatepark, so it's better they spray paint there than on someone's wall. You mean there was never any garbage at this location before? Doesn't Thunder Bay already have city workers to remove garbage anyway? I don't think one or two more trash cans are going to break the municipal budget.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; May 15, 2008 at 3:52 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 3:55 AM
BANNED

The bottom line? There's a lot of really sad, miserable old people around.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 4:23 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Since when did the whole world become a library? Overall, skateboarders don't make nearly as much noise as cars do but I don't see a lot of people trying to ban cars.
It's actually beside a three-line railway ROW, used by both CN and CP (and the occasional other company), running at least three dozen trains a day (sometimes one on each track). It's in a working port, and it isn't uncommon to hear horns from ships, either. A fire station (to be specific, North Central Fire Station, which is the largest fire station in Northwestern Ontario) is located two blocks away. That fire station also has an ambulance dispatch. The road beside the park sees AADT of about 20,000 vehicles.

Quote:
That one is actually so insane as to be infradig to a response.
Old people (and Northern Ontarians in general, it seems) don't understand that parks aren't just empty unused greenspace. If they want a quiet urban park, Waverly is three blocks west.

Quote:
God forbid those skaters might actually be exposed to a little history! That would be awful! Seriously though, i've met a lot of skaters in my life and I can't remember one of them ever saying they were looking for the nearest naval memorial they could vandalize.
People have shown a lot of respect to the monument, which is quite extensive, btw. The large white thing (you can go on top and look over the park, iirc, it affords a great view of the sleeping giant) has never been graffitied in my memory. The Cenotaph in Waverley Park has never been vandalized either, and that is (or at least was) a popular hang out for troublemakers. (The high school is closed now so they've probably left.)

Quote:
Kids that are going to do graffiti are going to do it regardless of a skatepark, so it's better they spray paint there than on someone's wall. You mean there was never any garbage at this location before? Doesn't Thunder Bay already have city workers to remove garbage anyway? I don't think one or two more trash cans are going to break the municipal budget.
The pedestrian overpass nearby is quite vandalized, though the walkway on the blue overpass part has a mural on the bottom, which is quite nice. The whole structure needs a paint job. This isn't good graffiti either, it's the uninspired tagging that plagues this city. ('SA' has been painted on almost everything. In the entire city.)

The city does have some workers to clean up litter, especially in Marina Park, and we also have garbage cans throughout. The park redevelopment plan will install a good number of new garbage and recycling cans (the really deep ones that only have to be changed every month or so). There are also volunteer groups that clean up garbage.

Two water fountains, which are part of the naval monument, are located in the pond adjacent to this area -- the city plans to put children's pedal boats in this area. That's ok, apparently. How that is going to work with the fountains (which come a little bit above water level) is beyond me. The veterans don't seem to know about this, which shows that they, like most everyone who opposes the waterfront development, haven't read the plan!!

There is so much misinformation going around. The city needs to promote this better. They need to communicate the plan more. In March 2007, all of this was announced to the public. Why are they just bringing this up as an issue now? Why didn't they do it 14 months ago when it would have had more chance of being amended?

Why doesn't anyone in this city actually participate in democracy?

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 12:24 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Are there enough visitors? With more hotels on the horizon, some operators wonder if there’s sufficient business to go around
By Gord Young - North Bay Nugget

A new resort hotel and conference centre on the city’s waterfront will mean more competition for an industry that’s already been joined by one new player and is bracing for more, according to some local operators.

The 135-room resort hotel and 1,100-seat conference centre proposed for the former Kenroc/Uniroc site on Memorial Drive was unveiled this week as the latest hospitality project planned for North Bay by the Burlington-based Vrancor Development Corp.

The same company built a Holiday Inn Express on Seymour Street, which opened its doors last year, and is behind plans for an adjacent Staybridge Suites Hotel, as well as a seven-storey Hilton Hampton Inn near the new Boston Pizza on McKeown Avenue.

There’ll be no shortage of accommodations in the city should all of those projects move forward. But some operators wonder if there will be enough visitors to go around.

Bharet Patel, manager at the Northgate Inn on McIntyre Street, said the proposed conference centre could benefit his downtown operation because the facility is nearby and won’t have enough rooms to accommodate a large-scale event attracting more people than its 135 rooms can hold.

“But it could go the other way during slow periods,” said Patel, noting there will be stiffer competition among hotels and motels when events aren’t happening in the city.

Christian Fortin, manager of the Inn on the Bay, said he welcomes the convention centre concept, aimed at bringing larger groups to the city.

He said the local hotel industry has done well in recent years. But he said some operations are likely to suffer should all of the planned hotel projects go forward.

“Somebody will hurt somewhere,” said Fortin, confident Inn on the Bay will adapt to any industry changes.

Mayor Vic Fedeli said the developer’s plans are the result of a busy industry, buoyed by a local economy consisting of government offices, a college and university and a robust mining sector that is constantly bringing customers to the city.

Fedeli said the proposed convention centre will mean a lot more business overall.

“To me, this is the single most important project council has announced since we were re-elected,” said Fedeli.

Fedeli said studies show people attending conferences spend on average $350 a day. And he said the project, which represents dozens of jobs and an investment of tens of millions of dollars in the city, will be a legacy of this council.

The project is conditional upon the sale in 90 days of the 1.8-hectare former Kenroc/Uniroc site on Memorial Drive.

And it wouldn’t have been possible without the city’s recently developed brownfield improvement plan, which offers incentives such as tax breaks and grants to developers to help defray the costs of environmental cleanup.

The land was purchased by the city in 1995 and is said to have been home to a foundry before Craig Bit Co. Ltd. began manufacturing drill bits and rods for the mining industry in 1947. Kenroc Tools Inc. took over the operation in 1988, followed by Uniroc several years later.

Jeff Serran, executive director of the Downtown Improvement Area, said the resort and convention centre is exciting news for merchants who will benefit from increased traffic in the core.

“Anything that brings more people to the downtown is positive news,” said Serran.

Although some council members have suggested the new conference centre will complement existing hotels because it will cater to larger events and bring spillover business, Ruth St. Phard, general manager at the Best Western on Lakeshore Drive, said the proposed facility will compete for the same business as her operation, which hosts conferences.

She said the local hotel industry has fared well in recent years.

But St. Phard said additional hotels are proposed at a time when the industry is experiencing a downturn, due in part to skyrocketing fuel prices and the high-valued Canadian dollar. She said local hotels on average are 59 per cent full on any given day, leaving about 310 rooms vacant.

Jim Gorda, who manages the Clarion Resort Pinewood Park, agreed a new convention centre in the city means competition.

“But that’s not a bad thing,” said Gorda, noting a convention centre about double the size of the Clarion’s capabilities is also good news for the city.

But Gorda said the announcement this week raised more questions than answers for him. He said convention centres often aren’t privately operated and typically involve a community effort to market and attract events.

“Just because you build it, doesn’t mean they will come,” said Gorda, noting most successful convention centres have to build a reputation.

Fedeli, however, said the convention centre will be a privately run operation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario