HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 2:23 AM

Yes, they removed the track and replaced the grass field with turf. The York University Lions football team will now play there as well.

Directly to the north, still on York's campus, is the long-standing Toronto Track and Field Centre with indoor and outdoor tracks. Ben Johnson and many others trained there. The downtown campus of U of T has indoor and outdoor tracks at the Athletic Centre and adjacent Varsity Stadium. Beyond that there are a few stadiums run by the City of Toronto and some high school tracks with stands.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 4:31 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Where are these other angles?
On Skyrise.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 4:59 AM

Remove that big wall and I think it'll look great.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
On Skyrise.

Interesting. Wonder why these look so different color and material wise.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 1:52 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Interesting. Wonder why these look so different color and material wise.
The newest version is showing the angle from the SW corner along the curving section of the facade. Supposedly the other 2 images are a year older but not much has changed. Also someone said that the blank wall might have some kind of decorative elements on it. I still think it’s a turd sandwich and agree with the person on social media who said it looks like an hp printer.

My other biggest concern for the area is that the BMO expansion is across the street and has a massive blank wall facing north. Olympic way is shaping up to be a huge dead zone.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
The newest version is showing the angle from the SW corner along the curving section of the facade. Supposedly the other 2 images are a year older but not much has changed. Also someone said that the blank wall might have some kind of decorative elements on it. I still think it’s a turd sandwich and agree with the person on social media who said it looks like an hp printer.

My other biggest concern for the area is that the BMO expansion is across the street and has a massive blank wall facing north. Olympic way is shaping up to be a huge dead zone.
Yea its pretty plain. I hope the street is full of restaurants and the like.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Haha sweetie, one tall building doesn’t make a skyline. Calgary has 7 buildings taller than Edmonton’s 2nd tallest, and 20 taller than its 3rd tallest. There hasn’t been any competition between the two cities (especially architecture and urban design wise) in decades as it’s already been won. Other than the NHL of course.

Edit: damn I’m bitchy today
Perhaps no competition in urban design, but this render looks like Calgary's more than willing to concede the title of fanciest arena to Edmonton. Goes well with their fancier stadiums as well.

Completely disappointing design.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 4:44 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Perhaps no competition in urban design, but this render looks like Calgary's more than willing to concede the title of fanciest arena to Edmonton. Goes well with their fancier stadiums as well.

Completely disappointing design.
I was always expecting to be disappointed given the Flames ownership. Just happy it isn’t Western themed Stampede kitsch.

Last edited by O-tacular; Aug 4, 2021 at 3:37 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 12:37 AM

New renders out. I don't hate it.

Source: (Lots more there)

https://calgary.skyrisecities.com/fo...8#post-1719947

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 1:55 AM
Fake News

Wow that blank metal wall is even worse than I thought it would be. Can you imagine facing that from one of the future condos across the street?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:28 AM

I like it. Thought it would be better if they could put large windows on that one side instead of just a wall. It would rank third in the country, behind Rogers arena in Edmonton and MTS in Winnipeg. The others in their downtown setting are basically square boxes. My opinion.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 12:14 PM

Well those renderings make it look nicer. It has a refined look by arena standards, it doesn't look too ostentatious.

Is the big blank wall actually a wall? In the new renderings, it looks screen-like.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:32 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Well those renderings make it look nicer. It has a refined look by arena standards, it doesn't look too ostentatious.

Is the big blank wall actually a wall? In the new renderings, it looks screen-like.
I think it is supposed to be a screen, but given another recent project by the local firm with a similar screen in renderings that turned out completely awful and nothing like the pictures I have little faith. The other project was the east village parkade.

See below rendering vs reality:

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:36 PM

^ I saw that parkade from the Calgary Tower when I visited a couple of weeks ago... certainly one of the flashier parkades I've seen anywhere! Not terrible, but yeah, it doesn't really match the rendering. Looks like it got hit with some cost cutting.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 8:37 PM

I think the complaints about the arena are overblown. It looks fine, certainly an improvement on the hideous monstrosity we have currently. As for the other complaints, well if we as a city are firm on the cost (which I think we should be), then we can't expect to get everything we want too. We have enough half baked development sites in the city, I don't see anyone is so ambitious that this one will fill out in the way the others didn't.

We're paying for an arena and got an arena. I was happy to not do so and let the flames leave, but the deal we made was OK. But no one should have ever believed the fantastical claims from councillors and fan boys that an arena will revitalize the city. It was never going to do that. It's a just toy for the city that people will enjoy, the way people value that toy is personal.

I agree about the complaints about the parcade though. I don't see why they couldn't have put that on another lot. Well, money of course.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 10:03 PM
Fake News

Behold the new Flames arena!!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 10:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

A photocopier is bad. That thing they built in Kanata is even worse. A fugly arena surrounded by parking lots.

ottcitizen

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 10:20 PM
Fake News

It's toilet bowl shaped for a reason.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

I was thinking that might be a good place for a screen, but it looks like in the other rendering showing the larger public plaza that there seems to be a screen there.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 10:34 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I was thinking that might be a good place for a screen, but it looks like in the other rendering showing the larger public plaza that there seems to be a screen there.
Someone on Skyrise said that the blank wall was originally supposed to have some kind of decorative elements but it appears that was a casualty of cost cutting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada