HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 3:40 PM
Closed account

So, back onto the thread topic:

I have a car. It is a Mazda 3. I like my car.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 4:04 PM

My cars have been getting more eco-friendly as I age. I started off with a 2003 Ford F150, but after a few years of paying the gas I downsized to a 2007 Chevy Equinox. That was good for a while but the car had some serious defects where the gas peddle would get stuck and I would keep accelerating and I'd have to slam the brakes on. Almost got into a couple accidents because of it.

I then downsized again to a 2012 Hyundai Elantra which was actually a great car. Amazing on gas, and quite luxurious for the time. I traded that in for a 2015 Honda Civic with Eco mode. Similar on gas, and another great car. Ended up paying it off in 2 years and drove the Civic for 6.5 years.

Was in the market for something more luxurious this year, so I ended up trading in the Civic for a 2021 Tesla 3 Long Range. I've had this car since early June and its by far the nicest car I've driven. I still get excited every time I get in it haha. I test drove the Lexus IS 300, Acura TLX A Spec, Audi A4, and the BMW 3 series. I was very impressed ...then I drove the Tesla and was sold. Made the rest of them seem slow, plus the aspect of putting premium gasoline VS no gas... it was a no brainer for me.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The big three (plus Toyota) have no shame when marketing their grossly supersized unsafe trucks. So what if more pedestrians are dying and the emissions are rising, right?
Not as safe =/= unsafe

Larger than you prefer =/= "grossly supersized"

You're getting very tiring about this. Maybe stick to the decline of the car thread?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 5:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

For sure pickup trucks piss me off, and for that I make no apologies. I hate the excessive room they take up on the roads and in parking lots. I hate the fact I cannot see over their massive hoods. I hate the way they completely block the view of oncoming traffic when they are waiting in the left lane to take a left-hand turn (and you wanting to turn right). I hate having to listen to the noise they make (BROOM BROOM!!!) when accelerating, at all hours of the night. I hate breathing in the extra fumes when these trucks pass by me while I am on my bike. I hate the commercials that feature these trucks destroying a mountain stream. Giant pickup trucks inconvenience the fuck out of people in smaller vehicles, yet the reverse is not true.

You are tired of reading about how I don't like them? I have my reasons. They are mechanical assholes, often driven by selfish jackasses.

Look at this fucking asshole:
Video Link

Last edited by MolsonExport; Jul 27, 2021 at 5:38 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 1:36 AM

My daily driver is my 2013 Honda Accord Sport with a manual transmission. So simple and reliable mechanically, I can fix it with chewing gum and duct tape.

My toy towing/work/camping/Costco shopping/offroad vehicle is my 2015 Ford F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 4:52 AM
recession proof

The '94 Ram started the pickup "war" with its big rig looks, brash grille etc. Unlike MolsonEx, I do rather like the new Super Duty: https://www.ford.com/trucks/super-duty/ especially the https://www.ford.com/trucks/super-duty/models/f250-xlt/

I drive one of the most popular 2002 era hatchbacks you see on the road.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 10:46 PM
Mr

Quote:
For sure pickup trucks piss me off, and for that I make no apologies. I hate the excessive room they take up on the roads and in parking lots. I hate the fact I cannot see over their massive hoods. I hate the way they completely block the view of oncoming traffic when they are waiting in the left lane to take a left-hand turn (and you wanting to turn right). I hate having to listen to the noise they make (BROOM BROOM!!!) when accelerating, at all hours of the night. I hate breathing in the extra fumes when these trucks pass by me while I am on my bike. I hate the commercials that feature these trucks destroying a mountain stream. Giant pickup trucks inconvenience the fuck out of people in smaller vehicles, yet the reverse is not true.

You are tired of reading about how I don't like them? I have my reasons. They are mechanical assholes, often driven by selfish jackasses.

Look at this.
Video Link
The beast looks terrific

Last edited by Brave; Nov 3, 2021 at 7:08 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 10:54 PM
你的媽媽

Lots of nice cars on here!

Here's mine: 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo with a fairly extensive mod list.

Street/canyon tuned with occasional track/autocross days.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 11:05 PM
Fake News

Quote:

Video Link
Everyone focuses on the oilsands while not giving a shit that we drive more of these gas guzzling pickup trucks per capita than anywhere else. The big auto makers with plants in Ontario are phasing out cars to only sell this shit and SUV's now. These trucks should require a special permit for work reasons and nothing more. That would be the final straw to push Danielle Smith to use her Sovereignty Act though. Lol!

I fucking hate these jacked up jackoff trucks.

Edit: I have no qualms with regular sized, non penis extension trucks like older Ford Rangers or smaller Toyotas. It's the supersized big mac asshat trucks I'm referring to.

Last edited by O-tacular; Jan 12, 2023 at 11:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post

Nice!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 11:42 PM
Community Guy

Quote:

When I drive my s2k to Cali, let's hit Laguna.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 12:02 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

When I drive my s2k to Cali, let's hit Laguna.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 12:21 AM
菠蘿油

I don't have a car, so let me run you through all the different cars I use through my carsharing service, Communauto. (All images sourced from communauto.com).

Toyota Prius C – they stopped making this one. It's now the oldest car in the fleet, definitely showing its age, but for simple trips around town it's perfectly adequate. Do not take it outside of town unless you want to have an uncomfortable time on the highway.

Toyota Prius V – another one they don't make anymore. Taxis use this for a reason: it's a workhorse. Big, dependable and incredibly spacious. Not very fun to drive, though, so it's really only worth getting if you have a bunch of stuff to haul around.

Toyota Corolla – they have both ICE and hybrid versions. No complaints, it's a great car. Good in the city, good on the highway. Comfortable.

Kia Rio – I love this car. It feels agile and not as underpowered on the highway as you would expect.

Kia Niro – The electric version is excellent. Very zippy, lots of cargo room, just a very nice car to drive. The hybrid version is a little sluggish, not as fun to drive, but the fuel efficiency is outlandish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Kona

Hyundai Kona – My favourite in the fleet. AWD so it's a good choice for winter chalet trips. I drove one down to New York City and it was great on the highway, fast but also quiet, and in the city it's small enough to squeeze into some pretty tight parking spaces.

Aside from these, Communauto also has some old Nissan Leafs that are fine for A to B but nothing more, a handful of Hyundai Elantras (not a fan – too bulky), Hyundai Tucsons (ok for a larger SUV), plus some Hyundai Venues (haven't tried them). Apparently there will be an even greater variety of models in the future. These are all fairly basic cars, some definitely better than others, but it's fun to be able to pick and choose depending on your needs.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 2:10 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:

Video Link
I don't mind the trucks. They're excessive, but whatever. I DO mind how some of the idiots who drive them act on the roads.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 2:35 AM
Ham-burgher

I drive a 2010 Mazda3 hatchback. It's definitely feeling its age, a few scrapes and rattles and a small leak in the exhaust system that's too difficult to detect (check engine light has been on for more than a year, but the techs can't find the issue). Looks exactly like this, same paint:

Source

But this little car has been a WORK HORSE. Transported so much stuff... furniture, boxes, bins, bags of mulch, garbage, you name it.

Still a pleasure and joy to drive. The engine is stout and purrs like a cat. One of the few vehicles available even 10 years ago with a manual transmission. I love it.

I'll keep it until it dies, which I tend to do with cars I own. But when it's time to retire it I'll be sad. Best car I've ever had.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 2:44 AM

About a month into my 23 Kia Sorento HEV. Really enjoying it, and and am seeing a decent fuel mileage increase on my 140km daily commute. I wish I had thought to keep a mileage log on my 2016 Sorento, at least for the last few months, to compare. But anecdotally, I used to fill on Sunday and then Wednesday leaving work would be about 45-50 liters. The first 3 work weeks (had 2 off over Christmas), I have been putting 43 liters in on Thursday (after topping off on Sunday). I downloaded a mileage app and it's showing me getting about 8.4l/100km and I don't drive with mileage in mind lol.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 2:17 PM
Mooderator

Under this foot of snow.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 2:51 PM

Quote:

She's a beaut! I found cars so much nicer in the 90s. Feels like they all look the same today.

My uncle had a Toyota Paseo from around the same year. I know now that it was basically a sporty two door Tercel, but at the time, my brother and I thought it was really cool!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Everyone focuses on the oilsands while not giving a shit that we drive more of these gas guzzling pickup trucks per capita than anywhere else. The big auto makers with plants in Ontario are phasing out cars to only sell this shit and SUV's now. These trucks should require a special permit for work reasons and nothing more. That would be the final straw to push Danielle Smith to use her Sovereignty Act though. Lol!

Edit: I have no qualms with regular sized, non penis extension trucks like older Ford Rangers or smaller Toyotas. It's the supersized big mac asshat trucks I'm referring to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I drive a 2010 Mazda3 hatchback. It's definitely feeling its age, a few scrapes and rattles and a small leak in the exhaust system that's too difficult to detect (check engine light has been on for more than a year, but the techs can't find the issue). Looks exactly like this, same paint:

Source

But this little car has been a WORK HORSE. Transported so much stuff... furniture, boxes, bins, bags of mulch, garbage, you name it.

Still a pleasure and joy to drive. The engine is stout and purrs like a cat. One of the few vehicles available even 10 years ago with a manual transmission. I love it.

I'll keep it until it dies, which I tend to do with cars I own. But when it's time to retire it I'll be sad. Best car I've ever had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I don't have a car, so let me run you through all the different cars I use through my carsharing service, Communauto. (All images sourced from communauto.com).
We haven't tapped into the full potential of car sharing in this society yet. I wish we'd see more developers offer 6 to 8 Communautos of different sizes and body types instead of a parking spot+ per unit. That could bring the price of housing for such a building down in order to offer more reasonable rents/prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post

I kind of agree. Nearly every driveway in Ottawa has a massive Ford or Dodge pick-up, squeaky clean, driven by a public servant. Glad Ford has introduced a few reasonably sized trucks over the last few years with the return of the Ranger (which is probably the size of the F-150 20 years ago) and the Maverick. I find those much nicer than the humongous F-150s and Ram's of today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post

I have a 2005 Focus ZX3. It's a little loud. Catalytic converter probably needs to be changed, but it's been more reliable than I could have ever imagined. And just like yours, the hatchback makes it quite versatile to move stuff around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Under this foot of snow.

Where is it?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 2:53 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post

Communauto is amazing! I used it pretty frequently for almost 2 years before ending up getting a car - it was much cheaper than car ownership and you can take them anywhere. I actually took one up to Algonquin Park for a camping trip which seemed kind of hilarious.

The only annoyance in Toronto at least is that they were hard to get on the weekend. The price was cheap enough that if I needed one for the weekend I'd go and get the keys on a Friday morning and return on Sunday. Compared to a rental car post-COVID it was nothing.

Last Fall we bit the bullet and ended up buying a car - Communauto just wasn't cutting it for frequent trips with our Large Dog. Plus we can't take him on the train if we want to go to Ottawa, and knew we wanted to buy a house in a smaller town (ended up being Napanee). We ended up getting a 2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD. I've always loved Mazda's cars and while I wanted a smaller vehicle my wife was deadset on an SUV. The CX-5 seemed like a good compromise as it drives like a smaller car and doesn't look horrific to me. If we were going that route I also insisted on the larger engine choice and AWD.

So far we're both very happy with it - I don't use it in the city often but when I do I don't feel like it's hard to navigate Toronto streets / cyclists / pedestrians. And on the highway it's great and can easily overtake cars if necessary. We've somehow managed to put almost 20,000km on it, mostly by driving to Napanee and back. Zero mechanical issues. Only downside was the price in Fall 2021 - though not nearly as overpriced as Honda or Toyota vehicles.

Not ours but it looks exactly the same:

edmunds.com

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 2:56 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:

This is 19 year old me's dream car (or one of them at least). Looks amazing!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada