HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 2:36 AM

Is this finished? Does anyone have recent photos?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 9:37 PM

It's not finished but getting there.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 1:46 PM

Yesterday's progress.

Live your best life sandwiched between Walmart and a Self Storage Facility! That lone penthouse balcony on the first tower is an interesting design choice. Optimum big box mall viewing.

[IMG]20210203_151137 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]20210203_150946 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]20210203_151040 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]20210203_150848 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]20210203_150715 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]20210203_150616 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]20210203_150534 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 1:47 PM

Also, it looks just like the render!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
[IMG]20210203_151040 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]
Imagine the ritzy parties you could host on your penthouse balcony though? I'm sure the manager of Walmart, Dymon-Barrhaven, and other local celebrities would attend. You could have it catered.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Those cars are very small in that rendering

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately developers will continue to over promise and way under deliver until there's consequences for it in this city

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 9:46 PM

I like to complain about bait and switch from developers just as much as the next guy but are you sure the render you posted is for the right building? They are building Phase 1 of the Longfields Drive development (building with the two construction cranes) which I believe is the render posted. Comparing the render to the Lepine Tower on McGarry Terrace which is a completely different building is not quite fair is it? I could be wrong on this but I'm just comparing the footprint of the building under construction to the render.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 12:17 AM

The Lepine Tower is located at 1012/1024 McGarry Terrace and from their proposal below they built pretty much what they proposed except for the funky penthouse balcony. You could argue the colour scheme has minor changes. Unless I'm missing something here I don't know how you can comment on the final product at 1117 Longfields versus the proposal render when only the concrete structural shell has been constructed. I think you should give them a chance to prove you right.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Goatleaf View Post
I like to complain about bait and switch from developers just as much as the next guy but are you sure the render you posted is for the right building? They are building Phase 1 of the Longfields Drive development (building with the two construction cranes) which I believe is the render posted. Comparing the render to the Lepine Tower on McGarry Terrace which is a completely different building is not quite fair is it? I could be wrong on this but I'm just comparing the footprint of the building under construction to the render.
I thought the nearly complete tower and the currently rising tower were the whole project. I did not know that the currently rising tower is phase one of this render and that the nearly complete tower was a separate development. How many highrise buildings are they building here then? 3 or 4?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 2:03 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

We have a thread for Lepine's Howard Grant Terrace (1012 & 1024 McGarry Terrace) over here:
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=232139

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Yesterday's progress.

20210203_150616 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]
Impressed with the urbanization of Longfields & Marketplace.

Lots of snide comments on here, but the intensification in Barrhaven has to start somewhere. Lots of services in walking distance, even if big box malls aren't the nicest places.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 3:53 AM

Quote:
I thought the nearly complete tower and the currently rising tower were the whole project. I did not know that the currently rising tower is phase one of this render and that the nearly complete tower was a separate development. How many highrise buildings are they building here then? 3 or 4?
This development has two towers. The Lepine Tower makes 3.
Can't really count the Dymon building as a high-rise but it does have a large street presence for better or for worse. There's also the 2 or 3 (not sure of the layout) 9/10 floor buildings across the street. Overall it's a good start for the intensification of Barrhaven. It's also right next to a BRT (400-450 meters) station and will eventually have a LRT station if Phase 3 goes ahead. Just like all the other secondary malls in Ottawa, eventually Market Place will also be intensified when the LRT is running right through it.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 1:13 PM

I'd like to make a proposal, but understand if others may not agree. Since most of Barrhaven's developments look the same and posts for these projects are few and far between, could we have one "Downtown Barrhaven" thread instead of individual threads for each project?

I could propose the same for Kanata Lakes and Petrie's Landing.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I'd like to make a proposal, but understand if others may not agree. Since most of Barrhaven's developments look the same and posts for these projects are few and far between, could we have one "Downtown Barrhaven" thread instead of individual threads for each project?

This is the standard response from a lot of posters here.
Nobody cares what happens outside the greenbelt.
It's only FarHaven and all the developments look the same.

The population of Ottawa in 2021 is about 1,031,000.
Inside the greenbelt it's 562,000 or 54%.
Outside the greenbelt it's 469,000 or 46%.

I would assert that almost half the people of Ottawa care about what happens outside the greenbelt. There's no need to be so dismissive about the suburbs. If you don't care just don't open the link, it's that simple. Are we running out of storage space that we have to restrict the links to developments in the suburbs?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 3:45 PM

I didn't mean to offend. I was only observing that the downtown section is far more active and that my personal belief is that is would be easier to follow what's happening in the suburbs if each of their respective active areas (Barrhaven Town Centre, Kanata Lakes, Petrie Island area) had their own threads.

My proposal isn't much different than Zibi, where we have one thread for the entire development (though it's all one developer in that case).

I do care what's going on in the suburbs, I'm just not as familiar with what's going on so one thread for each active node would be easier to follow. It's not like I'm complaining about too many photos on a photo thread (yes, that has happened in the Canada forum).

If there's no support for the idea, I have no issue with that and will move on.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 8:20 PM

Barrhaven ppl be so sensitive...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

I totally agree with this. Ottawa already has perhaps the most categorized (and active per capita, I'm sure) regional section on SSP. I think it would be a good idea to condense a lot of our threads, not just our suburban ones. I can't tell you how much time I have spent looking to see if there is a prior thread (or three) for a development before posting.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 2:29 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

I'm not one for trading specific site- or address-based categorization for general grab-bag threads. It is the latter that I find incredibly annoying to sort through to find information about a particular project. The other problem is that these neighbourhood- or area-based threads never come to an end when a building is completed because there are always more being added. It also makes it near impossible to ignore a project I'm not interested in following, if it's lumped together with other nearby projects.

To those who find searching this forum difficult, I've learned that the secret is to not use the forum's own search function, but to use Google. Just include "skyscraperpage ottawa" along with your other search terms. This usually works for me.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
I'm not one for trading specific site- or address-based categorization for general grab-bag threads. It is the latter that I find incredibly annoying to sort through to find information about a particular project. The other problem is that these neighbourhood- or area-based threads never come to an end when a building is completed because there are always more being added. It also makes it near impossible to ignore a project I'm not interested in following, if it's lumped together with other nearby projects.

To those who find searching this forum difficult, I've learned that the secret is to not use the forum's own search function, but to use Google. Just include "skyscraperpage ottawa" along with your other search terms. This usually works for me.
Agreed, and because each development usually has the address in the title is incredibly easy to find them using Google.

With the individual parts keeping the subject on topic instead of multiple topics being discussed at once in a single thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs