HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 12:32 AM
Pacific Wonderland

The 5D is a mind blowing improvement. I did the 20D-->5D 2 years ago. Much better camera. You need good lenses to take advantage of it. But even average lenses have a palpable difference. And noise? with the 5D that really isn't an issue. Shoot at ISO 800 and 1600, no problem.

You can find quality like new 5Ds on the used market for $1300 ish, check Fred Miranda.com they have a great buy and sell board (where stuff is mint or nearly so and the sellers have the shutter counts, look for under 20,000 on a 5D)

My 40D just arrived today, as my backup to the 5D. The 40D is also way ahead of the 20D. Feels like a freaking sports car of a camera, even compared to the 5D. Autofocus is perfect, it rattles off over 6 frames a second. It will be a great 2nd camera for me.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 2:15 AM
tilted & shifted

When I upgraded from the 40D to the 5D back in April, I knew I was buying a camera with older technology and far fewer bells and whistles. But that didn't matter because the improvement in IQ was what I was truly after. And I haven't been disappointed. The photos from the 5D are imparted with more of a three-dimensional look and have tons of detail. Obviously, you have to purchase really solid glass when shooting full-frame. My 24-70L and 100-400L both hold up very well.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 8:07 PM

I just bought a Nikon D90.
It's on my desk staring at me.
It's a bit intimidating.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 9:07 PM

Canon 1Ds, which I love, and a Canon SD850is which is suprisingly good for being a pocket cam.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 9:20 PM
Hammer'd

Canon Rebel XT. I picked it up just before the XS came out, unfortunately. I probably could have gotten the XTi for the same price if I had waited. Damn. Still does what I need though. No lenses yet, i'm not even lucky enough to have a budget at all for photography.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 9:28 PM

I have a Nikon D50 and looking to upgrade the kit lens that it came with.
I believe this is the one I have - Nikon 28-105 f3.5-4.5D AF Zoom. I might be wrong though, I think I only get 4.5 at 28mm.

I've seen a couple of recommended lenses in the $700+ range, but that's just too rich for me right now.

So my questions:

Is it worth upgrading to a $300 - $400 dollar lens or should I save and get the more expensive one?
If so does anyone have any reccomendations?

Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 9:33 PM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
I have a Nikon D50 and looking to upgrade the kit lens that it came with.
I believe this is the one I have - Nikon 28-105 f3.5-4.5D AF Zoom. I might be wrong though, I think I only get 4.5 at 28mm.

I've seen a couple of recommended lenses in the $700+ range, but that's just too rich for me right now.

So my questions:

Is it worth upgrading to a $300 - $400 dollar lens or should I save and get the more expensive one?
If so does anyone have any reccomendations?

Thanks.
Everybody needs the 50mm 1.8f Nikkor lens. It is only a hundred bucks and is great for portraits, low light, and shallow field of depth shots. If you want a zoom lens maybe the 80mm-300mm with VR isn't too expensive.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 10:38 PM

^ thanks. I was wondering about a prime lens, but reading some reviews, that sounds perfect.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 12:21 AM
arf

^Probably the best thing I did for myself was taking zoom out of my hands.

It's always worth it to have better glass. If you're thinking Nikon for the next camera body then investing in better glass that's going to work with the next body is where I'd put my money.

I personally have the 50mm F/1.4. It runs about $220 last time I looked and it's built like a tank and I probably take half my shots with it.

If you're wondering if 50mm might be too limited, here's a photo thread entirely with the F/1.4.

St. John's, NL - 00:39:52@50mm [50 images]

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 11:27 PM

I am getting a 5D. I can't wait to do some super wide-angle photography with my 17-40, but I'm just as excited about the new ways in which I'll be able to use my other lenses.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 12:17 AM

Old Nikon FA film camera, and the Panasonic Lumix FZ20....(no longer made----one of the only long zooms that had a constant F2.8 throughout the entire zoom length.).

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 12:27 AM
Ex Houstonian

I have been using the Nikon D200 for years now and a whole mess of lenses. I love that camera. Before that I had the D70, which was awesome for its time. If I had the money I would totally buy the Nikon D700. That camera looks freakin sweet.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 3:37 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I'm planning on getting a Nikon D80 not too far into the new year. I almost bought one a few weeks ago but really have no need for it right now. I also asked for a new point and shoot for Christmas.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 2:38 AM

I got my 5D today.

All I've done is mess around with it at home, but here's my favorite shot so far:

17-40mm at 17mm and f/4. ISO 1600... I can't believe how clean it is!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 2:56 AM
tilted & shifted

Congrats, man! Now you have no excuse for not posting photo threads more often.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 4:22 AM
be nice to the crackheads

iso 1600? Nice!
I'll be getting a Nikon D3 in the new year. I'm really excited about how it handles low light.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 6:11 AM

Chris has my old 5D (I sold it to him).

I know he will enjoy it far more than I could of late. It has found a good home. The precious ("my precioussss") has found it's way to the rightful owner.

--don

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 12:41 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward View Post
I got my 5D today.

All I've done is mess around with it at home, but here's my favorite shot so far:

17-40mm at 17mm and f/4. ISO 1600... I can't believe how clean it is!
rool:

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 2:28 PM
Honored Member

The Nikon 18-200mm DX AF-S VR zoom is an outstanding lens. People have looked at 11x14 prints that I shot with it on a D200, sometimes even on very dull, low-key days, and been surprised to learn that I wasn't using a prime lens when I took the photos.

It sounds counterintuitive that a zoom with a range that wide could be sharp throughout, but it is, and the vibration reduction works well.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 2:44 PM
low life in a tall place

Shit, I might have to get one of those 5Ds too. My little toy of a camera is starting to feel a tad outdated..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography