HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 1:54 AM
Awesome!

New subdivision developments

This is probably the thread surrounding suburban sprawl - this is an element I often follow.

I'm also adding the list of newer developments across the suburbs (Ontario side and only inside Ottawa for the moment). Some them are proposed (PR)/approved (AP) or under development (UD).

Also I don't know the name of many subdivisions/new neighborhoods, and the list may be incomplete - anyone with more and/or precise details can post it here

Kanata/Stittsville

* Morgan's Grant/Brookside (UD, both sides of March Road north of Kanata North Business Park) - I've seen some bulldozing east of March Road this summer
* Fairwinds/Mahogamy/Kanata West/Carp River (UD, PR, portions under development south of Scotiabank Place, proposed north of Scotiabank Place along Huntmar RD)
* Bridlewood (UD, AP,most of the area east of Eagleson Road is done, several homes built west of Eagleson south of Kanata South Business Park)
* Fernbank (PR, under consultation, between Stittsville and Terry Fox Drive)
* Shea Road/Terry Fox Drive/Fallowfield Road/Fernbank Road, (PR, proposed by Calgary developper, which might extend further east to near Barrhaven so to basically have a full suburban area from Stittsville to Leitrim in the very long range)
* North Stittsville (Jackson Estates, UD north of Hazeldean Road and Stittsville Main)
* West and South Stittsville (UD, west portion west of Stittsville Main and south section south of Fernbank Road)
* Carp (UD, likely north of the landfill)
* Kanata Lakes (UD, a new proposal for the area around Richardson Side Road and Terry Fox Drive and possibly south/along the future Terry Fox extension)
* Richmond (sale of parcel of land in the area which may result in possible new large subdivision)

Riverside South/Barrhaven/Manotick
* Chapman Mills (UD, both side of Woodroffe south of Strandherd although most of the eastern section is done)
* Longfields (UD, mostly done north of Strandherd and south of the future extension of the Transitway from Fallowfield)
* Cedarview/Kennevale (UD, near Strandherd and Cedarview)
* Half Moon Bay (UD, south of the Jock River between the 416 and Greenbank, some homes on both sides of Cambrian)
* Barrhaven Mews (UD, between Strandherd and the Jock River and west of Jockvale/Greenbank)
* Stonebridge (UD, most of the area east of Jockvale is done with portions between Greenbank and Jockvale south of the Jock River well underway.
* Manotick (PR, proposal by Minto to basically double the size of Manotick)
* Riverside South (UD, sections south of Earl Armstrong as well as east of Limebank have applications filed)
* Leitrim (UD, south of Bank and Leitrim area)

Orleans/Cumberland

* Avalon (Tenth Line Road area south of Innes (UD)
* Notting Gate (Trim Road south of Innes) (UD)
* Eastboro (PR/UD), south of the Notting Gate area
* Fallingbrook East north and east of the Trim/Innes intersection (UD)
* Bradley Estates (UD south of Navan Road, along Renaud Road)
* Mer Bleue (UD) SW corner of Innes and Tenth Line. E-Map shows some streets
* West of Petrie's Landing along on North Service Road (UD)

Gatineau

* Le Plateau/Le Plateau Symmes/Le Musee (Aylmer sector) (UD)
* Near Lucerne and Fraser Roads (Aylmer sector) (UD)
* L'Escarpement de Limbour (Gatineau sector/Cantley) (UD)
* Buckingham sector - near Lepine and Hwy 315 (AP)
* Les Hauteurs/Davidson (near La Verendrye and Labrosse Blvds - Gatineau sector) (UD)
* Cote des Neiges (Greber Blvd between La Verendrye and Paiement, Gatineau sector) (UD, mostly complete)
* Jardins Lavigne (Aylmer sector north of des Allumettieres Blvd between Eardley and east of Wilfrid Lavigne Blvds) (UD/PR, many sections are completed since several years)
* Near Lorrain and La Verendrye (UD, don't know the name of the community though)
* Cook Road in Aylmer North (PR)
* Chelsea Creek (PR)

Others

* Small development south of Prince of Wales and Hog's Back area
* Small development south of Hunt Club between Paul Anka and Uplands
* Centrepointe: Future development planned near the former Nepean City Hall and Baseline Transit Station
* There was also some bulldozing that took place this summer at Hunt Club and Cahill (a somewhat large space)
* Small development near Albion and Lester Road

Last edited by Cre47; May 23, 2010 at 4:45 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 2:16 AM
National Capital Region

Good idea for a thread... I also like to follow these developments. here's the Half Moon Bay site plan...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 4:18 PM
National Capital Region

Mahagony Manotick (Minto) Development Concept Plan (July 07)
There is a meeting tonight about it, where I think the finalized plan will be presented.

edit: Citizen article

Quote:
1,400 homes could be built in Manotick: city

Response to Minto proposal infuriates many residents

Laura Drake, Ottawa Citizen

Published: Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The city planning department suggested to a crowd in Manotick on Tuesday night that between 1,300 and 1,400 homes could be built as part of a controversial new subdivision, less than the 1,800 that developer Minto proposed. But that didn't come close to satisfying the hundreds of residents at the meeting.

"What part of 'No' don't you understand?" asked Manotick's Steve Montero, eliciting applause from the crowd gathered at Tudor Hall.

"Manotick spoke loud and clear: They did not want this."

In an hour-long presentation Tuesday night, city planner Myles Mahon outlined the city's initial response to a development plan submitted by Minto in July for the Mahogany community.

"We can understand why the city came to the conclusion it did," said Jack Stirling, Minto's vice-president of land development.

"When we did our application, we didn't know if there would be room for 2,000 homes or 1,400 homes or 1,000 homes - we thought our application would help clear that up."

However, the overwhelming response from the crowd was that 1,400 homes is still about 75 per cent too many.

According to Brian Tansley, president of the West Manotick Community Association, Manotick's Secondary Plan - a document drafted in 2000 that sets out guidelines for the village's growth - only allows for about 250 new homes to be built in the village between now and 2020, to keep in line with the current rate of growth of 30 lots per year.

While many people at the meeting echoed Mr. Tansley's assertion, Mr. Mahon said his calculation, based on Manotick's Secondary Plan, allowed for between 800 and 1,436 new homes. He later added that the city has not yet developed a recommendation as to how many of those could be built before 2020.

Mr. Mahon said the development of the Minto land will depend on some infrastructure that's not yet available, including a bridge connecting Strandherd and Armstrong roads.

The city's initial report also recommended no blocks of townhouses be built and that lot sizes be increased - both of which received applause from the crowd - but the main concern was over the number of units that could be built in the new area.

Currently, there are only about 1,750 homes in Manotick for its 5,250 people, which Minto's original proposal would have eventually doubled.

"I have yet to meet a single person who has said this won't threaten the character of Manotick," said Mr. Tansley. The association made its own 43-page submission to the city on Sept. 21, which included results of a survey distributed to every resident in the K4M postal code, which includes all of Manotick and its surrounding area. It also includes the association's top 10 issues with the proposal, including increased burdens on traffic, emergency services, recreational facilities and the environment.

Mr. Tansley said that none of the nearly 1,000 people in his association are opposed to development, but they believe that growth must be gradual and density should be confined to the core of the village.

Though the planners will not present their final recommendations to the agriculture and rural affairs committee for several months, Mr. Mahon said city staff wanted to hold Tuesday night's meeting to discuss their initial response to have "a two-month window for resolving issues."

Minto will have an opportunity to present a revised plan to the rural issues advisory committee on Nov. 27. The final staff recommendation will be presented to a meeting of the agriculture and rural affairs committee on Jan. 24, which is open to the public.

© Ottawa Citizen 2007

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Oct 31, 2007 at 4:16 AM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 5:38 PM
Mooderator

I just heard on the news that Algonquin College is selling their land for some sort of "town centre" development called Centrepointe (?)... it would involve rerouting the Baseline transitway station..

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 5:45 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I just heard on the news that Algonquin College is selling their land for some sort of "town centre" development called Centrepointe (?)... it would involve rerouting the Baseline transitway station..
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...(Complete).htm

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 5:51 PM
Mooderator

^ that's it. Apparently it's a go, according to Michael O'Byrne just moments ago..

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 7:28 PM
R2-D2's army of death

I like the townhomes near Centrepointe. Now all we need is LRT running along Baseline, and we could start to see some serious improvement in the area.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 7:49 PM
Awesome!

That's looks quite good indeed, although not sure if Baseline was part of the LRT plans, I think it was further south closer to Hunt Club however I think it was close to one of the vision-proposal METRO lines. I know there are plans for making the 118 a BRT route with better transit priority measures (there are gradually doing it in the eastern part of the road, with some rush-hour extension to Orleans). So they will have some excellent transit service also with the future completion of the Gap of the Southwest Transitway and being not too far from the future Western Transitway

Also I may suspect that this the project in question (in stake) that explained why Rick Chiarelli voted for the re-opening of Albion Road, although I don't see how the Albion issue would influence this project - it is much faster via the Parkway and Heron
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 8:20 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Baseline was never intended for LRT, but I can dream, can't I?
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 8:42 PM
Awesome!

Well maybe, but since the MTTF prefers existing rail, we can dream. Also I've seen in the past an article that some Centrepointe residents wants to close the eastern intersection of Baseline and Centrepointe because of growing traffic concerns because of that. Looking at the Public Consultations section of the City they are planning a new intersection (Baseline and Ben Franklin Place) which would probably ease the potential problems. Route 118 will no longer likely do the circuitous loop at Baseline and Woodroffe thus saving a few minutes of traffic jam.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Baseline was never intended for LRT, but I can dream, can't I?
The E-W LRT EA had its preferred route along Baseline.

http://www.ottawa.ca/public_consult/...isplay_en.html

Closeup here: http://www.ottawa.ca/public_consult/...r_section4.jpg

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 9:31 PM
Closed account

I think the city was originally planning BRT along Baseline, like the B-line in Vancouver, not the Transitway.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 9:43 PM
National Capital Region

re: BRT on baseline
TMP has these plans

Baseline Corridor Phase I- Transit priority
Phase II- Semi-exclusive rapid transit (Navaho Drive to Data Centre) (Baseline Road Widen from four to six lanes to create bus lanes from Navaho Drive to Prince of Wales Drive)

Provides high quality city-wide transit access to employment, commercial and institutional land uses adjacent to Baseline Road, and fast, reliable service to major rapid transit lines for corridor residents. Also, provides key link between Southwest and Southeast bus rapid transit network segments by avoiding downtown and promotes corridor redevelopment particularly at Confederation Heights

Under Transplan 2009, this was supposed to happen, don't know the status of anything now, but there is some stuff happening on Heron:

Transit priority measures

·Heron/Baseline – Transit priority measures are required to reduce travel times and to improve the reliability of service between Heron Station, Baseline Station, and Queensway-Carleton Hospital. These improvements will increase the attractiveness of the new crosstown east-west rapid transit 90-series bus routes that will bypass downtown. A transit priority study is underway by consultants to the Traffic and Parking Operations Branch; this study will define the feasible options (in two phases – short-term and longer-term) and make estimates of costs for each element. The first, short-term, phase of these measures will be required by early 2007, so that the crosstown rapid transit bus routes can be in place to encourage customers to bypass the heavy construction in downtown for the light rail line. Possible transit priority measures include:
-Signal priority;
-Signal pre-emption;
-Bus lanes;
-Removal of bus bays and installing bus bulbs;
-Traffic management measures such as queue relocation and traffic metering;
-Turn and operation restrictions to non-transit vehicles;
-Corridor-wide traffic management and public information systems favourable to transit users.

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Nov 9, 2007 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 10:05 PM
National Capital Region

Longfields Concept Plan
City-owned and planned subdivision...

Quote:
Shaped by choice, not by chance - the Longfields subdivision will be a smart-growth community demonstrating the City’s 20/20 principles. The City will register the plan of subdivision, rezone the lands, adopt design and environmental requirements and will then oversee phased land sales and construction of homes by an array of local builders. While securing a balanced return on investment, the project will “demonstrate” the following:
§ 4 distinct neighbourhoods, embracing public parks
§ compact development
§ an array of housing types for all income ranges
§ neighbourhood conveniences and a central transit station
§ a modified grid road network complemented by a rapid bus corridor
§ a network of pathways for pedestrians and cyclists
§ extensive landscaping and the preservation of environmental features
innovative planning principles and progressive design standards

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 2:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Longfields Concept Plan
City-owned and planned subdivision...

I don't mean to burst your bubble but IMHO the City doesn't have the entrepreneurial spirit and skill to take land through a City driven process such as subdivision and rezoning. As well, it is highly unlikely that City Council would turn down a rezoning request initiated by internal City staff.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 2:31 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynnog View Post
I don't mean to burst your bubble but IMHO the City doesn't have the entrepreneurial spirit and skill to take land through a City driven process such as subdivision and rezoning. As well, it is highly unlikely that City Council would turn down a rezoning request initiated by internal City staff.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that..

I've talked to someone at the city (real estate services) about this, and this person was really excited about the whole project and how a lot of the city's current thinking and expectations about mixed uses/densities, parks, transportation, and design were being incorporated into this project. They felt that there was a general level of support for their initiative. Apparently the draft plan of subdivision and rezoning were submitted in June 07 and it should be approved by December 07...

from October 10th council
Quote:
4. ComMunity LANDS Development Project -
Implementation Strategy

Committee Recommendations as amended

That Council:

1. Proceed with the development of the Longfields Subdivision lands on a phased basis, as described in this report, subject to registration of a plan of subdivision and on condition that a development agreement is executed prior to transfer of the lands from the City, and staff be directed to:
a) Undertake the necessary studies and design work required for registration of the plan of subdivision and subdivision agreement;
b) Prepare Request for Proposals (RFP’s) in 2007, as described in this report, for:
i) The sale of the Neighbourhood # 1 1ands (Beatrice to Woodroffe area) (Phase 1A) on a serviced lot/block basis with the City establishing the sales price and urban/architectural design guidelines/criteria for selecting the best proposal for a high standard of community design; and
ii) The sale of the Neighbourhood # 3 lands (Highbury Park Drive area), (Phase 1B) on an unserviced lands basis with the City establishing the sales price and environmental guidelines/criteria for selecting the best proposal for a demonstration “green community”; and
c) Report back to the Corporate Services and Economic Development Committee and Council with respect to the above RFP processes set out in this report prior to initiating the call(s) for proposals;

2. Proceed with the establishment of a Community Lands Development Corporation (holding company) for the Longfields Subdivision and Centrepointe Town Centre projects, as described in this report, by:
a) Approving this report and the “Corporate Purposes” and the “Corporate Structure and Organizational Direction” set out in Documents 3 & 4 attached hereto as the Business Case Study for establishing the Community Lands Development Corporation; and
b) Authorizing staff to proceed with the incorporation of the Community Lands Development Corporation for the Longfields Subdivision and Centrepointe Town Centre projects in accordance with the Business Case Study set out above and also in accordance with the provisions of the Municipal Act, 2001, as amended, and the Business Corporations Act and;

3. Direct staff to report back to CSEDC and Council with recommendations pertaining to the transfer of surplus lands from the City to the Community Lands Development Corporation.

CARRIED
also, here's a link to the report and a pic that I forgot to include in my previous post
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/csedc/2007/11-06/ACS2007-CMR-CSE-0012-(Complete).htm

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 11:45 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
re: BRT on baseline
TMP has these plans

Baseline Corridor Phase I- Transit priority
Phase II- Semi-exclusive rapid transit (Navaho Drive to Data Centre) (Baseline Road Widen from four to six lanes to create bus lanes from Navaho Drive to Prince of Wales Drive)

Provides high quality city-wide transit access to employment, commercial and institutional land uses adjacent to Baseline Road, and fast, reliable service to major rapid transit lines for corridor residents. Also, provides key link between Southwest and Southeast bus rapid transit network segments by avoiding downtown and promotes corridor redevelopment particularly at Confederation Heights

Under Transplan 2009, this was supposed to happen, don't know the status of anything now, but there is some stuff happening on Heron:

Transit priority measures

·Heron/Baseline – Transit priority measures are required to reduce travel times and to improve the reliability of service between Heron Station, Baseline Station, and Queensway-Carleton Hospital. These improvements will increase the attractiveness of the new crosstown east-west rapid transit 90-series bus routes that will bypass downtown. A transit priority study is underway by consultants to the Traffic and Parking Operations Branch; this study will define the feasible options (in two phases – short-term and longer-term) and make estimates of costs for each element. The first, short-term, phase of these measures will be required by early 2007, so that the crosstown rapid transit bus routes can be in place to encourage customers to bypass the heavy construction in downtown for the light rail line. Possible transit priority measures include:
-Signal priority;
-Signal pre-emption;
-Bus lanes;
-Removal of bus bays and installing bus bulbs;
-Traffic management measures such as queue relocation and traffic metering;
-Turn and operation restrictions to non-transit vehicles;
-Corridor-wide traffic management and public information systems favourable to transit users.
In the city's Public Consultations section, there is a link about proposed new bus lanes for Heron/Baseline from Data Centre to about halfway between Fisher and Prince of Wales). The same link also propose bus lanes southbound on King Edward and on Carling in both directions between Richmond and Lincoln Fields Station. Cycling lanes also for Baseline/Heron and King Edward (although not sure for Carling)

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 12:35 AM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
^ that's it. Apparently it's a go, according to Michael O'Byrne just moments ago..
Also according to OBJ a vote on November 14 on the foot bridge/walkway will be made. And looks like from what the article says it ŵill be approved. And that will be finally. http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com...6075046454.php

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 7:34 PM
Awesome!

I've check the E-MAP for the City of Ottawa which now shows new streets west of Tenth Line south of Innes which appears to be residential (or planned) streets. I suspect they are starting (or very soon) to do some bulldozing for the new Mer Bleue Community in south Orleans. The new update seems to show more streets/bulldozing done further south and east in Avalon as well as well as the area west of Jockvale Road in South Barrhaven

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 3:46 PM

This is a different type of dev for this area I believe

http://chelseacreek.ca/project.php

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs