HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 1:54 AM

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/4/25...sign-ordinance

Que the lucein lagrange and ramsa buildings, kiss the glass towers goodbye

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 4:11 PM

What's wrong with taking small measures to save thousands of migrating birds per year? Seems pretty unnecessary to be against some lighting and planter ordinances just for the heck of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecosystem

A brief overview on why you don't want thousands of any species to die unnecessarily, no matter how seemingly inconsequential.

Lots of complaints about "just another blue glass box" around here, you'd think even more drastic measures would have support.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 27, 2019 at 7:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 4:38 PM

Without knowing much about the ordinance, it seems like a good idea. I’ve witnessed birds flying full speed into windows a few times now and it’s not a pretty sight. I’m not one to spend my free time bird watching, but we need to be more mindful of birds and other species. It keeps our ecosystem healthy. Hopefully this means fewer blue boxes .

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 4:58 PM
Windy City Dan

Couldn't this be solved by a simple polarized film applied to the glass? I highly doubt this proposed ordinance means the end of glass high-rises.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 6:09 PM

That potential future high rise someone posted in the last month or so on here at Aberdeen & Ogden (a few blocks from the Chicago Blue Line stop) was just granted a demolition permit for the existing 1 story structure the other day

Reminder of what will go there more or less - 12 stories and 188 units with 80 parking spaces on the first 2 floors. There's also been movement on the other 2 permits for the foundation and the main building, but neither have been issued yet. According to BuzzBuzzHome, it's now condos and apartments (?)

SOURCE: https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/us/716-...berdeen-street

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 7:44 PM
you know where I'll be

People, people. An ordinance like this would not kill glass skyscrapers. We do not need to fear a wave of LaGranges.

Glass facades just need to be designed in a way that conforms.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 27, 2019 at 7:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 8:16 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

The building I work in (5640 S Ellis Ave) occasionally sprouts some strings on the outside to try to dissuade birds from ramming into the window. Also they ask us to close our blinds in the evenings during migration season.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
That potential future high rise someone posted in the last month or so on here at Aberdeen & Ogden (a few blocks from the Chicago Blue Line stop) was just granted a demolition permit for the existing 1 story structure the other day

Reminder of what will go there more or less - 12 stories and 188 units with 80 parking spaces on the first 2 floors. There's also been movement on the other 2 permits for the foundation and the main building, but neither have been issued yet. According to BuzzBuzzHome, it's now condos and apartments (?)

SOURCE: https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/us/716-...berdeen-street
Great news, another TOD building. River West is changing so fast.
It's too bad they couldn't bury all the parking. The new 8 story proposal in Elmhurst I reported on has 3 levels of underground parking. So the economics of it works out. Are soil conditions there that bad? The Kennedy is depressed there, it looks like they could dig down if they wanted to.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 8:41 PM

Many prestigious organizations, including Studio Gang and Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture are behind the idea.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 27, 2019 at 7:46 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Uptempo View Post
Many prestigious organizations, including Studio Gang and Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture are behind the idea.
Right for reference that I can think of aqua tower is bird friendly and glassy as well. I think were gonna get a lot more innovative designs mixed in with the Ramsa type Classical designs

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 27, 2019 at 7:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourstrooper View Post
Right for reference that I can think of aqua tower is bird friendly and glassy as well. I think were gonna get a lot more innovative designs mixed in with the Ramsa type Classical designs
Let's hope we don't get even more aqua look-alikes popping up... We don't need to turn into Miami which is full of them...

I can't help but feel like if this gets adopted eventually developers will find a way around it and we'll be back after a brief lull to seeing these all-glass skyscrapers (which we honestly need less of anyway) pop back up...

Also, I found this, idk about facade systems but I could def see it used for those large open lobbies...

http://www.ornilux.com/

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
Let's hope we don't get even more aqua look-alikes popping up... We don't need to turn into Miami which is full of them...

I can't help but feel like if this gets adopted eventually developers will find a way around it and we'll be back after a brief lull to seeing these all-glass skyscrapers (which we honestly need less of anyway) pop back up...

Also, I found this, idk about facade systems but I could def see it used for those large open lobbies...

http://www.ornilux.com/
True I agree the all glass is kinda gettin old, but we are getting equinox and 400 lsd which is a spin off of all glass among other towers

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 9:19 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
Couldn't this be solved by a simple polarized film applied to the glass? I highly doubt this proposed ordinance means the end of glass high-rises.
Short answer, yes, the ordinance allows all sorts of glass treatments that have been shown to be effective.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 4:43 PM
THAT Guy

The May landmarks agenda includes changes to the hotel project at 330 N Clark. HKS is still listed as the architect.

Quote:
Proposed modifications of previously approved project including alterations to
north elevation of the Reid Murdoch building and rooftop elements and changes to new, 31-story, mixed-use building
Hopefully this is a good sign things are still moving forward.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
The May landmarks agenda includes changes to the hotel project at 330 N Clark. HKS is still listed as the architect.

Hopefully this is a good sign things are still moving forward.
is that the meeting on the 2nd?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I have little use for this project and I’m getting weary of Onni Group bringing their Minneapolis ways to Chicago.

They need to get with the program that projects in downtown Chicago don’t need this much parking. Perhaps their executives just don’t really spend much time here.
Not sure what this has to do with Minneapolis. This firm has no connection to Minneapolis that I'm aware of.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_Const_Watch View Post
Not sure what this has to do with Minneapolis. This firm has no connection to Minneapolis that I'm aware of.
Possibly mistook Onni for Opus would be my guess

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 4:06 PM

Apparently a few condo associations are gearing up to try and block the new proposed development on the parking lot next to Illume. SMH

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Apparently a few condo associations are gearing up to try and block the new proposed development on the parking lot next to Illume. SMH

Chicago | Illume by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 10:54 PM

Gr333n Sunday 4/28 4pm-5:50pm ish.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations