HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Chinatown in DC and Chinatown in Philly have almost nothing in common. It was well documented that by the time the arena came to DC, most of DC's Chinese community has already decamped to the Northern Virginia suburbs and that almost all of the remaining Chinese people in the neighborhood were elderly in one or two subsidized low income projects.

Not comparable.
And DC has a building height restriction that limits most buildings to the 150-180 foot range. East Market towers across the street from where the arena would be are 284 and 248 feet to give you an idea just how short 150 feet is. We have so much room to build up before Chinatown ever gets affected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Height...gs_Act_of_1910

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 3:56 PM

I’m sorry but are we really mourning the loss of 10th and Filbert? Even if it’s an interior area, if they activate 10th/11th street then it’s an upgrade over what’s currently there. I’m not sure if this has been mentioned somewhere, but do we know when the Greyhound station is moving closer to 30th street? I recall reading a master plan a few years ago that had a proposal to bring the bus station over that way but if this arena gets built I’m assuming that will accelerate the move.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Is Aritzia still opening? Anything else planned?

I know Equinox (at The Laurel) is expected to open in the summer.
No activity at the Aritizia spot yet. It’s still relatively early though. Joybird and Faherty took forever to get going.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 5:24 PM

I have heard that Aritzia is still coming. It does seem to be taking a while though.

Thirdlove is coming to the old Untuckit spot

Mejuri is coming to the old Lush spot

Ali Yoga is coming to the old Modell’s spot. It seems Alo is taking the front ~60% of the space and the back ~40% is being marketed to restaurant tenants with an entrance on Chancellor Street like Pizzeria Vetri next door.

As far as I know, Nike is still coming to the old Jack Wills spot and Parachute is still coming to the old Free People spot. Haven’t heard updates lately on those two though, so unsure if that’s still the plan.

Also, seems like a new restaurant concept is in the works at Alma de Cuba.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I have heard that Aritzia is still coming. It does seem to be taking a while though.

Ali Yoga is coming to the old Modell’s spot. It seems Alo is taking the front ~60% of the space and the back ~40% is being marketed to restaurant tenants with an entrance on Chancellor Street like Pizzeria Vetri next door.

As far as I know, Nike is still coming to the old Jack Wills spot and Parachute is still coming to the old Free People spot. Haven’t heard updates lately on those two though, so unsure if that’s still the plan.

Thanks for the info, some good stuff coming. Also, I think the thirdlove just opened.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 7:37 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post

Thanks for the update!

Any word on the old B&N space on Walnut? I know some discussed a potential Starr concept.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the update!

Any word on the old B&N space on Walnut? I know some discussed a potential Starr concept.
They’re getting close to opening. I think it was supposed to open this week but they put out an IG announcement that they’re pushing it back to the 12th.

**** Never mind. You said the old B&N space haha

Last edited by skyhigh07; Mar 27, 2023 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the update!

No clue honestly. I've heard anything from Starr concept to new retailer to Center City (Bloomie's for instance?), to they don't have a replacement tenant yet. Who knows. If I hear anything concrete, I'll definitely share.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 12:53 PM

One Hour, Eight Miles, and 5,758 Units, Part 6: Lower Northern Liberties & Old City

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...rties-old-city

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 1:01 PM

Exploring the Future South Wetlands Park… Behind Old Navy and Walmart

Quote:
We understand if you’re surprised to see this completed pathway in such a spot, as it isn’t exactly on the beaten path. However, as we first mentioned back in 2013, this area received funding for a refresh, creating a new landscaped pathway along the water, while also completely reimagining Pier 68. These hardscaping and plant additions included stormwater measures as well, with a water management feature smack in the center of the pier, which we think looks great in addition to being a benefit to the pier and surrounding land. This was wrapped up back in 2015, and it’s still looking pretty darn nice today, even in less-than-ideal conditions.

Quote:
So, why do we bring you to the back of a parking lot to visit a park that was completed eight years ago? Well, there are plans to expand this park, while also offering a new take on what’s possible along the riverfront. To both the north and south of Pier 68, there are large, empty piers that are reminders of the waterfront’s industrial past. Now, the Delaware River Waterfront Corporation, with an big assist from OLIN, is envisioning a return to even earlier days, with an “ecological restoration” for what is being called the South Wetlands Park.

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...vy-and-walmart

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 1:06 PM

Final Piece of the Puzzle for the Dwell Apartments in South Kensington

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...uth-kensington

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 1:11 PM

I remember when they redid the first little part of Walmart pier, and was damn this could actually be pretty nice. Reclaiming more of the waterfront is such an underrated thing that I think most people never really think of.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 1:13 PM

97 More Units Proposed for a Suddenly Busy 500 N. Columbus Blvd.

Quote:
It was just over a month ago that we last made our way to 500 N. Columbus Blvd., where we told you about plans afoot for an adaptive reuse for the building sporting the giant American flag mural. Today, we are checking out a different part of the property, where thanks to a submission to the Historical Commission, we know that even more exciting plans are in the works. Before we get to the news, let’s check out the property a bit more, including a helpful flyover of the site.

The area of our focus today is at 501 N. Front St., or Building F of the complex. While some of the buildings at the property are historic, this is a non-contributing structure, and there are plans to demo the low-rise building currently on-site to make way for 97 units designed by JKRP Architects.

Quote:
This is an extremely exciting proposition for this corner, which honestly feels a bit desolate even during the middle of the day. We would have been OK with a bit more height for this CMX-4 property, but we are a bit more understanding given the other exciting plans for the complex. As we alluded to earlier, a zoning permit was recently issued, allowing for 96 units to be added to the flag-forward section of the building.

Quote:
Jumping to the north side of the site, plans for 50 SG also call for a residential new build. 62 units and 3K sqft of ground floor retail space are proposed here for this site which is currently marketed for sale. The low-rise building that once stood here has been cleared and construction permits have been pulled, so we could see things move here quickly once the site changes hands or the current owners have a change of heart.

Quote:
The final piece of the puzzle isn’t a residential one, but it is wildly exciting nonetheless. Along Beach St. dividing the complex, the historically protected two-story buildings are making a turn to a glorious restaurant and event space. Plans here are looking pretty darn amazing for this structure, whose 18K sqft of space will also face the now-intriguing Beach St. in the middle of the complex.

Quote:
If all of this indeed moves forward, that’s yet another 255 units and 22K sqft of commercial space where zero people and zero retail now exist. This would add another huge injection of excitement to the area, which is busy with construction everywhere you look.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-columbus-blvd

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 1:16 PM

Innovator Village Brings a Throwback Design to 24th & Washington

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...4th-washington

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 1:20 PM

Construction Nears Completion At The Cecil At 1641-45 North 2nd Street In Olde Kensington

Quote:
A recent Philadelphia YIMBY site visit has noted that construction work is nearing completion at The Cecil, a mixed-use development under construction at 1641-45 North 2nd Street in Olde Kensington, North Philadelphia. The project is situated on the east side of the block between Turner Street and Cecil B. Moore Avenue. Designed by CANNOdesign and developed by R+M Development Partners and BKP Development Group, the building rises five stories tall, with commercial space on the ground floor and 20 residential units above as well as parking.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2023/03/cons...ensington.html

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 1:20 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
I remember when they redid the first little part of Walmart pier, and was damn this could actually be pretty nice. Reclaiming more of the waterfront is such an underrated thing that I think most people never really think of.
I think about a lot.
I will always think Philly missed an opportunity.
Buying up some of the waterfront back when they were more or less worthless.
Now everybody's scrambling for the waterfront and the city is being left with a narrow strip along the water with blank walls.
No great lawns.
Almost an after thought.

501 N Christopher Columbus Boulevard 10-16-21 f by

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 1:22 PM

Permits Issued For 897 Belmont Avenue In Belmont

Quote:
Permits have been issued for the construction of a four-story, ten-unit mixed-use building at 897 Belmont Avenue (with a full address of 893-97 Belmont Avenue) in Belmont, West Philadelphia. The development will rise from a vacant lot at the southeast corner of Belmont and Westminster avenues. Designed by Designblendz, the structure will span 14,252 square feet, which includes ground-level commercial space. Permits list Aimes LLC as the contractor and indicate a construction cost of $850,000.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2023/03/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 1:24 PM

Permits Issued For 2625-33 West Jefferson Street In Brewerytown

Quote:
Permits have been issued for the construction of a multi-family building at 2625-33 West Jefferson Street in Brewerytown, North Philadelphia. Designed by KCA Design Associates, the building will stand four stories tall, with a roof deck located at the top of the structure. The building will hold 27 residential units, and span 31,161 square feet.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2023/03/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 1:25 PM

Permits Issued For 1924-32 North Front Street In Norris Square

Quote:
Permits have been issued for the construction of a five-story, 32-unit mixed-use building at 1924-32 North Front Street in Norris Square. The development will replace a three-story church on the west side of the block between West Berks and West Norris streets, next to the elevated Market-Frankford Line and across Front Street from Fishtown. Designed by Square Architects, the development will span 32,605 square feet and feature ground-floor commercial space, elevator service, bicycle storage, and a roof deck. Permits list Baltimore Select Properties (alternately Select Redevelopment) as the contractor and specify a construction cost of $4.215 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2023/03/perm...is-square.html

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 1:27 PM

Permits Issued For The Emerald At 2214 North Front Street In Norris Square

Quote:
Permits have been issued for the construction of The Emerald, a four-story, 14-unit mixed-use building proposed at 2214 North Front Street in Norris Square. The development is situated on the west side of the block between West Susquehanna Avenue and West Dauphin Street, half a block to the south of the York-Dauphin Station on the Market-Frankford Line. Designed by Ambit Architecture, the structure will span 15,122 square feet, of which around 2,000 square feet will be allocated for ground floor commercial space, a green roof, and parking for five bicycles. Permits list Baltimore Select Properties (doing business as Select Redevelopment) as the contractor and specify a construction cost of $1.8 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2023/03/perm...is-square.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development