HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 6:37 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I felt that way almost 20 years ago when the Arizona Center first opened. There were huge crowds there for the first few years, but by the mid-'90s, they began to search out the next trendy attraction. I'm normally optimistic, but I hope this is not a case of deja vu. After seeing big projects fall short of their goals for two decades, I'm much more impressed with nearby places like Hanny's, Cartel, etc. -- places that do something cool with an old building or a modest storefront.
I remember my dad being extremely fickle about downtown in the 1990s and not liking the hassle about any of it. We stopped going to Sun's games because he thought America West Arena was too much of a pain in the ass.

Downtown didn't really register on a lot of people's minds back then. The newness of Phoenix's late-term urban renewal (Arizona Center, AWA, and Chase Field) lost any cachet with overall bad design.

15 years later downtown registers on a lot more people...

Quote:
When the Arizona Center first opened, it had a cluster of nightclubs known as "Phoenix Live." Under one umbrella, there a was a sports bar, a dance club, a pub, and a dueling piano bar. During the early '90s, Phoenix Live was packed almost every night with people who came from all over the metro area. Then, in the middle of the decade the crowds thinned, and by 2000 the complex was gone with its space, which was mostly on the second floor, converted to offices. The lesson I take from this is that nightlife preferences are always fickle. You can create a sensation with almost anything for a while, but then people move on. That's why I'm skeptical about Lucky Strike and the Comedy Club having a lot of staying power. They'll definitely draw crowds for a few years, but the long-term outlook is challenging without more of a residential base near CityScape. I hope I'm wrong, but so much of what is happening now feels like deja vu from two decades ago.
Somebody actually programmed it to be this one-stop-shop for entertainment? No wonder it died. You're right about those places being extremely fickle and rarely make money in the long term. None of the ones I went to are still around...I think they tore down Pompeii and "The World" (?) is Palazzo now. I remember reading reviews about the dueling piano bar and being mildly curious until everybody called it a one-star tourist trap.

I'd like to think there's far more of a convergence of people instead of just sports fans and office dwellers than we had in the 1990s to support venues at places like CityScape for the long term.

The threat of DUIs and the light rail will do wonders for lack of a nearby residential base ...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 6:37 AM

Call Phil!!!!!! We want an announcement!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 6:42 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
The Arizona Center was pretty much the only place my parents took me on a regular basis downtown when I was younger (like early high school). We'd go to either hooters or whatever used to be in place of Sam's Cafe. It's strange to think we'd trek down there on a Sat night just to go to the Arizona Center. My parents never go there anymore, but they love going with me to places like Cibo, or TMI, or other little downtown joints now. So yeah, they went for a while to the AZ Center when it first opened, but never go back now...
It's really odd how the AZ Center's outdoor mall concept was about 20 years ahead of its time. In the meantime, it just seems to be waiting for WestCor to buy it. I can just see AZ Center being the perfect island on downtown's edge for suburbanites in condo towers and hotels surrounded by a comfortable mix of chain stores with the Hooters forever on the edge leading them out to the real world ...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
They did say an announcement would be made in the morning this week but I can totally see tomorrow coming and going and no announcement.
So they have this huge event at CityScape with lights, cameras, the mayor's state of downtown speech, etc., and they DON'T make a big announcement? WTF else is the point of a huge To-Do like that?

"Hey guys thanks for coming out to this big announcement... I'd like to announce that an announcement will be made later this week!!! "

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 4:12 PM

I am guessing sometimes you have to wait to make things final. Do you want an announcement that then falls through?

With that, there better be AN ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 4:26 PM
BANNED

I have a major announcement to make. I need everyone to be quiet.

CANNONBALL!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 6:07 PM

Yea, so I'm going to go ahead and say there is no announcement. Fucking lame, why make a big deal about it last week if you can't deliver on it?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 8:44 PM
Jotun

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
It's really odd how the AZ Center's outdoor mall concept was about 20 years ahead of its time. In the meantime, it just seems to be waiting for WestCor to buy it. I can just see AZ Center being the perfect island on downtown's edge for suburbanites in condo towers and hotels surrounded by a comfortable mix of chain stores with the Hooters forever on the edge leading them out to the real world ...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 3:50 AM
Skyriser

make it stop MAKE IT STOP!!!! nooooooo! *glargle oooooommmpphhh* *passes out*

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 7:47 PM
BANNED

Vitamin T is to open Friday the 19th. They were supposed to open on the 12th but got held up by the city. Anyone else planning on checking it out?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 8:50 PM

I will check it out but it seems like it is going to be pretty expensive plus my carne asada loyalties lie somewhere else.

I wish they would of held off on the grand opening party until everything opened. Hopefully they can get a lot of people down there when they light the tree so other stores can attempt to capture future customers.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 8:58 PM
BANNED

I won't be going there for carne asada. That's the white mans idea of mexican food anyway. I hear homemade tamales and sonoran hot dogs and I'm there.

Please don't tell me your loyalty lies with Terry's one trick pony wife.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
Please don't tell me your loyalty lies with Terry's one trick pony wife.
Heck no... its Charlies. I tried the taco truck by 16th and Van Buren and it was not comparable. They do however have a more extensive menu which is why I visit every once in a while.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 11:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwonger06 View Post
Heck no... its Charlies. I tried the taco truck by 16th and Van Buren and it was not comparable. They do however have a more extensive menu which is why I visit every once in a while.
Hmm... I'll have to try it. Meat burrito at a gay bar... no homo

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 12:50 AM

What's this "Charlies"?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 1:05 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
What's this "Charlies"?
Gay bar on 7th/Camelback with a Cowboy theme. I was a Boom Mic Operator on a MTV Reality show that filmed in there once and was constantly interrupted by guys asking if they could "Hold my pole."

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 1:07 AM

Quote:
What's this "Charlies"?
7th Ave + Camelback. It is on the southwest corner and the food truck is located on the empty dirt lot from Thursdays through Sundays after 9pm. It really is the best in terms of their chicken and carne asada. Unfortunately, their menu is very limited (chicken/carne asada tacos, quesedilla, burittos, nachos and hamburgers).

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 1:37 PM
Skyriser

I will also vouch for the Charlie's taco truck. All night long you can hear the chopping of meat (no pun intended) and the food smell is delicious. Charlie's itself, on the other hand, smells terrible so it's a welcome respite.

They're in the parking lot in front and serve bar patrons through a weird wooden door passthrough. You have the option of accessing it from Camelback and bypassing *most of the bar*, altho people frequently pick their food up after they've left.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 3:19 PM
BANNED

I'm gonna have to try it. I grew up here living in Maryvale, most of my friends families owned Mexican restaurants. I'm looking for more than just taste so I'll let you know what I think afterward. I gotta be honest though, going near Charlie's scares me. I got my junk cupped the moment I walked in there once, and it was mid day and sunny so my eyes hadn't adjusted and I couldn't see a damn thing inside, including who was grabbing me... ugh. I wish women did that at bars...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
I'm gonna have to try it. I grew up here living in Maryvale, most of my friends families owned Mexican restaurants. I'm looking for more than just taste so I'll let you know what I think afterward. I gotta be honest though, going near Charlie's scares me. I got my junk cupped the moment I walked in there once, and it was mid day and sunny so my eyes hadn't adjusted and I couldn't see a damn thing inside, including who was grabbing me... ugh. I wish women did that at bars...
Don't go inside. Go directly to the truck and you avoid the men.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest