HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 1:41 AM
-

This really is so great architecture. Are they going to replace the central library. Because that thing is hideous, not too mention filthy!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 2:38 AM

Sounds like the royal cosmopolitan is alive and well.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s.../post_169.html

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 7:13 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
This really is so great architecture. Are they going to replace the central library. Because that thing is hideous, not too mention filthy!
No, but they're going to renovate it and give the metal screens on the outside a good stripping/repainting, patch the concrete, and other stuff. I believe it also needs a new roof.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 7:25 PM

Cool Royal Cosmopolitan

Great news about the Royal Cosmopolitan. With 930 Poydras almost finished, it's good to see another high-rise moving forward.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
Great news about the Royal Cosmopolitan. With 930 Poydras almost finished, it's good to see another high-rise moving forward.
I agree. Don't see any downside to this project. Not only revitalizes a run-down block of royal street which is the gateway to the quater, it restores the old astor hotel which is currently blighted. Plus the more people actually living on canal street like in the Krauss condos, the more viable buisiness will become there. With this project, krauss, bioinnovation center and saenger theatre, canal is making a ton of progress.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 6:36 AM

Great news about the Royal Cosmopolitan! That will be great for the area. I don't understand the people making a big fuss over the height of the building. It's not like they are dropping it in the middle of the French Quarter. The Marriott and Sheraton skyscrapers are only a few blocks away, I think it will fit in nicely along Canal.

Lets hope that construction actually gets started on it.

Last edited by inCrescentCity; Nov 26, 2009 at 6:47 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 6:39 AM

Here's a higher resolution shot:

Are there any other renderings?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 10:48 PM

Thats the only rendering i've seen. Official page still not back up. I'm sure more will be coming if the project moves forward.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 7:01 AM
TL;DR

Eh. Architecturally rather boring. It would be fine if they didn't have those awful arched windows at the top, though. I am glad to see a skyscraper proposal moving forward, though.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 6:14 PM

I wish it wasn't so high....but at least its not modernist. I'm not opposed to modernism in the city but I don't want to see it in the 100 block of the Quarter.

Either way business>blight

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 6:35 PM

New Orleans airport embarks on $755 million renovation...

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s.../post_174.html

The renovations at Louis Armstrong International Airport include expanding Concourse D with a new rotunda that will include six new departure gates.

'Over the course of the next few years, we'll see Armstrong International change dramatically into a facility our community can take great pride in,' says Patricia Malone, interim aviation director.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 11:29 PM

3001 Tulane Avenue (Crescent Club Retail)

Passed by today, they are driving pilings on this project. Looks like it is getting underway.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 1:03 AM

"Federal city construction ahead of schedule in Algiers"

"New Orleans’ largest economic development project, called federal city, is on budget and ahead of schedule."

http://www.nola.com/military/index.s...tion_ahea.html

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 12:57 AM
TL;DR

^ Well, that explains why the Federal City buildings look so terrible. If they were set on using tilt-wall construction, then it looks like the architects actually did a GOOD job of dressing it up.

Tilt-wall it just what it sounds like... you pour the floor slab of the building, then put down a plastic sheet, and then lay out wood on the ground to mark out your wall panel. You then drop some rebar in to reinforce and then pour the concrete. Once the concrete has cured, you tilt the panel into a vertical orientation. It's how they build Home Depots, Wal-Marts, and most warehouses nowadays.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 1:56 AM
Show me the blueprints

^Even tilt wall engineering could be made to look good with just an ounce of architectural imagination. That needed architect was clearly not involved here.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 9:55 PM

930 poydras now has website running.

www.930poydras.com

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 1:38 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^Even tilt wall engineering could be made to look good with just an ounce of architectural imagination. That needed architect was clearly not involved here.
It's a large design-build firm that deserves all of the ridicule that design-build firms commonly receive. They used a SketchUp rendering, for chrissake... I can do a good SketchUp rendering, and I'm only a 2nd-year architecture student.

And no, I can't think of any tilt-wall buildings that look good, other than Wal-Marts in affluent areas with millions of dollars in face brick or warehouses where the entrances are dressed up with some cool fins or glass, but the rest of the building is a blank slab.

Finally, I will point out that Federal City is on the Westbank... not exactly the public face of New Orleans. It's in Algiers, so technically still within city limits, but it's like Staten Island or Lake Calumet or something. Very disconnected from the rest of the city, both culturally and physically. It's also a military facility with very little civilian interaction. When was the last time you saw an architecturally-distinctive military facility?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 9:53 PM

Benson to spend $12M to ready tower for state.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/up...fm?recid=28213

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 6:00 PM

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 4:42 PM

Cool 12 story building refit

another Bidclerk, for what it's worth, posting

could this refer to the eyesore Texaco building on Canal or is it taller than 12 stories?

Project ID: 1132642

Project Name: Available to Subscribers only. Click here to Sign Up.

Project Type: New Construction, Site Work Documents (0): Map: Aerial Photo:

Building Use: Multi-Residential
Reported: 12/18/2009
Private / Public: Private

Project Address: Available to Subscribers only. Click here to Sign Up.

Bid Date: December 22, 2009
Est. Start Date: January 2010

DescriptionTenant improvements for a multi-residential development in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the interior build-out of an approximately 125,000-square-foot 12-floor residential building to include living spaces, kitchens and bathrooms.

To view complete project details click here to Sign Up.

Divisions of WorkGeneral Requirements, Concrete -- Cast-In-Place Concrete, Metals -- Pipe Railings, Wood / Plastics -- Plastic Surfacing, Rough Carpentry, Finish Carpentry, Thermal / Moisture -- Bituminous Damproofing, Building Insulation, Sheet Metal Flashing & Trim, Doors / Windows -- Metal Doors & Frames, Wood Doors & Frames, Aluminum Framed Entrances, Vinyl Windows, Door Hardware, Finishes -- Gypsum Wallboard Drywall, Tile, Carpet, Flooring, Paint, Specialties -- Postal Specialties, Toilet & Bath Accessories, Equipment -- Residential Appliances, Furnishings -- Residential Casework, Horizontal Louver Blinds, Mechanical -- Pipe & Pipefitting, Valves, Piping Specialties, Plumbing, Mechanical Insulation, Ductwork, Forced Air Furnaces, Motors, Power Ventilators, Air Outlets/Inlets, HVAC, Electrical -- Conduit, Wire & Cable, Boxes, Wiring Devices, Electric ID, Disconnect Switches, Lighting Fixtures, Smoke Detector Systems, Telephone/Data Systems

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations