HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 4:50 PM
The City

Still can't wait on the Salesforce news. I hope that deal still moves forward...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 7:01 PM

No it wasn't the fulton Market expansion.. it was an operations center talk...
Here is reference

https://abc7chicago.com/technology/g...icago/2920029/

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 7:14 PM
The City

I honestly think that even these tech companies don't really know what their own plans are. For all we know, that 5000 person office was canned and is being incorporated into other expansions (Chicago, NY, Atlanta, etc) which are clearly happening anyway

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 7:20 PM
The City

Vision tech startup gets $9 MM

Headcount to double by mid-2019

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/john...-koch-pritzker

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 6:54 PM

So we officially lost Amazon...bummer.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Source? I don't see any official announcements anywhere.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 7:09 PM

^^ Yeah no official announcement that i've seen since the rumor of splitting it between two cities. Honestly, good riddance...I was just reading an article this morning about how vibrant Chicago's tech scene is, and how we have somewhere along the lines of the 12th most tech jobs in the country.

We've proven our ability to both create jobs via organic startups, and attract non-local companies for relocation or expansion. While there are a hundred upsides to HQ2 there are an equal amount of future headaches. Go set up a suburban location in Crystal City, and good luck to you.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 7:13 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsrand View Post
Honestly, good riddance...I was just reading an article this morning about how vibrant Chicago's tech scene is, and how we have somewhere along the lines of the 12th most tech jobs in the country.

First of all, I'm sure we're much higher than that, but if we were--you're fine with the Second City having the 12th most tech jobs in the country?

I agree about Amazon, but wow. Talk about a setting the bar low in the City of Big Shoulders...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
You don't think JB made a call to Bezos on election night?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

First of all, I'm sure we're much higher than that, but if we were--you're fine with the Second City having the 12th most tech jobs in the country?

I agree about Amazon, but wow. Talk about a setting the bar low in the City of Big Shoulders...
https://www.bisnow.com/chicago/news/...ts-limit-94783 <-- article states #12

You also cut off the rest of my quote..I'm not content with #12 (if thats our true ranking) rather was just trying to say that we have the ability to grow organically and attract non Amazon talent.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Source? I don't see any official announcements anywhere.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox...c-crystal-city

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 10:18 PM

I dont think thats necessarily reliable. Lol

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 11:17 PM

There has been no official announcement from Amazon. If there was, you would have seen it everywhere. Nobody should 100% trust it until Amazon actually says it themselves (this has nothing to do with Chicago or whatever on this matter).

I also found this interesting - basically an article talking about Dallas not standing a chance with HQ2, but..same thing with what I'm saying right above

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/si.../287-612753301

Quote:
Tom Stringer, a New Yorker who heads the site selection and incentives practice for the business consulting firm BDO, has done extensive searches in all three places for his own Fortune 1000 clients, whose needs have ranged from a relocated headquarters to large back office operations. I asked Stringer whether it was time to write Dallas out of the equation for HQ2.

“We don’t know what the company is thinking,” Stringer said. “There’s sure a lot of speculation out there. I wouldn’t write anybody in or out based on leaks and pure speculation without any official commentary.”

He would, however, write Dallas off based on Amazon’s initial preferences spelled out in its request for proposals. Careful reading of the RFP shows Big D and its surrounding cities simply aren’t big enough to handle what the Seattle-based e-commerce titan needs, Stringer said.

“They’re saying there is a volume of jobs and a real estate requirement that they would like to get," he said. "Here are the salaries. Here’s what we propose in cap-ex. Here’s what we propose in square footage. Here’s what we propose in job numbers.”

Those numbers, specifically: 50,000 jobs paying $100,000 a year and up. Up to 8 million square feet of Class A office space spanning 100 acres. And $5 billion in investment.

Only five places in the country could support a project of HQ2’s scale, and Dallas is not one of them, Stringer argues. He put New York, Washington D.C., Boston, Chicago, San Francisco and “maybe, maybe, maybe Atlanta” on the list.

In short, Stringer says, Dallas never had a chance.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsrand View Post
https://www.bisnow.com/chicago/news/...ts-limit-94783 <-- article states #12

You also cut off the rest of my quote..I'm not content with #12 (if thats our true ranking) rather was just trying to say that we have the ability to grow organically and attract non Amazon talent.

Goddamn, we’re only at #12? Seems laughable for Bisnow to even mention that stat in an article about River North’s ~booming~ tech scene.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
Goddamn, we’re only at #12? Seems laughable for Bisnow to even mention that stat in an article about River North’s ~booming~ tech scene.
I've always wondered how these numbers were derived. I used to be a consultant - a software engineer - but my title was more or less about consulting. I'd be surprised if I was even counted as "tech talent" in numbers like this, but who knows. Chicago is huge for consulting - if not counted, then there's thousands upon thousands of I/T people unaccounted for in these numbers (as well as other big consulting areas like NYC, DC, Atlanta, Dallas, Boston, etc).

Also need to remember that tech companies are not actually just full of a bunch of software developers. Again, there are in most businesses with more than just a few people business analysts, QA, user experience engineers, product managers, etc. They are not necessarily counted in these but they still work at the tech companies doing tech work (especially QA). Your small company could be full of only 15 software developers but it might have 20 other people in the occupations I just listed. All these people take up space in an office.

Last edited by marothisu; Nov 10, 2018 at 12:58 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I've always wondered how these numbers were derived. I used to be a consultant - a software engineer - but my title was more or less about consulting. I'd be surprised if I was even counted as "tech talent" in numbers like this, but who knows. Chicago is huge for consulting - if not counted, then there's thousands upon thousands of I/T people unaccounted for in these numbers (as well as other big consulting areas like NYC, DC, Atlanta, Dallas, Boston, etc).

Also need to remember that tech companies are not actually just full of a bunch of software developers. Again, there are in most businesses with more than just a few people business analysts, QA, user experience engineers, product managers, etc. They are not necessarily counted in these but they still work at the tech companies doing tech work (especially QA). Your small company could be full of only 15 software developers but it might have 20 other people in the occupations I just listed. All these people take up space in an office.
All true and definitely worth considering, but also applicable to other cities. I don't think those factors can explain Chicago's underperformance in tech rankings.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 7:48 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
All true and definitely worth considering, but also applicable to other cities. I don't think those factors can explain Chicago's underperformance in tech rankings.
You want that explained?

Chicago simply won't pay for talent. Period. It may cost more to live on the coasts, but companies actually give meaningful stock grants there. Very few do here. And salary is lower, to add insult to injury.

If Chicago wants to keep tech talent, it needs to pay for it. It's really that simple. But corporate culture here won't allow for it.

Citadel pays Coastal salaries, as does the local Google office. Maybe there are others, but I can't name any.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
You want that explained?

Chicago simply won't pay for talent. Period. It may cost more to live on the coasts, but companies actually give meaningful stock grants there. Very few do here. And salary is lower, to add insult to injury.

If Chicago wants to keep tech talent, it needs to pay for it. It's really that simple. But corporate culture here won't allow for it.

Citadel pays Coastal salaries, as does the local Google office. Maybe there are others, but I can't name any.
Yes, I think this is part of it. The salaries in Chicago on their own are still good at a little bit over $100K average (according to CBRE) but also lagging behind many other places. By lagging though, I mean within $10K per year of most other places outside of the Bay Area and NYC (which are more like $130K for NYC average and $140K for Bay Area average). It definitely costs more to live in these areas and while there's many startups in these places, there's tons of corporations where you aren't getting any equity outside of your ESPP either. However, I think that equity equation is an important one for why people get attracted to the coasts, so I agree on that. While you can do really well in Chicago startup wise, it's easier in the Bay Area as well as NYC now.

I think the salary thing is a bit nuanced. On average those places pay more, but I think it depends on where you're at in your career. If you had 10+ years experience, were considered senior or higher, and knew what you were talking about and could bring results, then there's many places in Chicago (but also elsewhere..I had a few coworkers in Dallas at my last company that I knew of making equivalent money to what many people in NYC were making. I knew people in Chicago like this too in the same division) who will be willing to pay you coastal prices. If you aren't as experienced, then of course due to COL, the coasts will pay you more. The companies that will pay coastal or better prices are ones like Citadel who you mentioned, but also a lot of the HFT or trading firms like DRW, Jump, Tower, etc. If you are good, including bonuses, then you'll make way more at those than you ever would at any Google office located anywhere in the world as a non executive. My friend used to work for a smaller HFT in Chicago and pretty much everybody who worked there went to either Harvard, MIT, Stanford, or Michigan. They almost exclusively recruited people who went to schools like that. If there is one thing in Chicago that it's good with paying just as much if not more than the coasts then it's this. With that being said though...not the easiest places to score a job as a programmer.

On another note, it's kind of funny because I have been interviewing people this year to help build a team in the Bay Area and for some reason, the candidates' expected salaries are put on their resume by the time it hits us (seriously no idea why it's even on there). I was surprised at how many people in the Bay Area for this were basically asking for salaries you could get in Chicago as a senior software engineer. Pretty crazy. And many of these people had been working as senior software engineers at some more traditional well paying tech companies in the Bay Area that people would kill to work for. Same deal in NYC actually, except for a few people who actually probably looked up what the average salary in 2018 is.

Quote:
Which is why I mentioned 5 other cities/metro areas in my post you responded to with the same deal as Chicago (many consultants). Not all cities have this though. Los Angeles for example does not have the same level of consultancy that Chicago, Dallas, DC, Atlanta, etc typically has.

Last edited by marothisu; Nov 11, 2018 at 9:13 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 3:07 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Which is why I mentioned 5 other cities/metro areas in my post you responded to with the same deal as Chicago (many consultants). Not all cities have this though. Los Angeles for example does not have the same level of consultancy that Chicago, Dallas, DC, Atlanta, etc typically has.
Geographic location and large, international airports are big reasons why Chicago has more consultants per capita than other cities. This can be witnessed any Thursday evening at O'Hare.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
Geographic location and large, international airports are big reasons why Chicago has more consultants per capita than other cities. This can be witnessed any Thursday evening at O'Hare.
Yep. My last project as a consultant was traveling between Chicago and NYC every week for 2.5 years. I could always get a first class upgrade when flying out on a Sunday night instead of Monday but it was virtually impossible getting one on a Thursday due to how many business travelers that flew just as much/more as me but further distances during the week. One moment I remember at LGA was coming back home during Lollapalooza weekend Thursday evening. These girls were so excited that they got "group 2" boarding. Their reaction was priceless when they saw 3/4 of the plane board before. All business travelers.

A lot of consulting goes around large international airport hubs but also where there is a lot of business, and many different types. It's location, talent, and business.

Btw that project in NYC in the beginning 6 months had more consultants traveling from Chicago (from multiple consulting agencies) than local NYC consultants. Our NYC office had more than enough people who could do the project who were looking for new projects, yet they still went with traveling consultants from Chicago instead for the most part.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest