HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
It's not in my interest to read backwards. My concern is what happened to Switzerland? Everyone is in one clique or another. Few are floating inbetween. It leaves people susceptible to manipulation and further down rabbit holes to extremism in every direction.
I think there is quite a few of us that float, I think the issue is that more and more people cannot hold complex thoughts together.

For instance, on something topical; its possible to think Rittenhouse is innocent, without being a MAGA type.

But functionally, that's not possible on the internet. That has to be a binary option. If you think he's innocent as the courts have proven the only possible option is you are MAGA. These positions are not negotiable for so many people.

Quote:
Politics around the world has been heading in this direction for a long time but we are now at that stage where inexperienced populism has control of most of the positions of power in government and the voters are either are all in or all out. Voters aligning to one party whether they like the direction its going or not is the end of democracy.
I completely agree.

But I think there's a deeper issue here; the inability of democracies to produce benefit for the majority.

I firmly belive that despite all the craziness if there was more wealth in the hands of more people, rather than the hyper centralization of welath, none of the politics would matter.

People are drawn to authoritarians because they promise to produce results. Thats really the core of their value proposition, they cast themselves as the sole being able to produce desirable results.

If democracies actually produced those results, there would be nothing to sell for the authoritarian types.

This is a tale as old as time; people with full bellies and roofs over head tend to not throw stones.

Quote:
Personally, expressing oneself through memes is not nearly as humourous as one may think. I'm clearly not as witty either but, I won't stop trying. You guys really need to watch more mainstream movies
Not sure if I agree here. The mainstream I think is a wrong way to articulate this concept, I think legacy media is more apt.

And I disagree, legacy media is in its final death throes using anything possible to maintain relevance. That anything possible is the most extreme division possible, its precisely targeting reptile brains of ours to get view and clicks as a means to profit and survive.

Quote:
You guys know the strong feelings I have over Justin Trudeau and his handling of our government affairs for his personal benefit. I try but occasionally fail to avoid in bringing him up in conversation as some people find his government sufficient, good and, even great. The thing that boggles my mind are those that share my sentiments but still vote for this government out of fear of things that have been dealt and buried decades ago.
I think this is actually a great jump off point.

People are largely voting for JT not because of a particular desire to, but because the other options did not seem compelling enough.

Our society has become too complacent and not demanding enough of politicians, think about how crazy it is that its just the accepted norm that one must vote "for the lesser evil, the known quantity."

This is nuts - these people are governing us, creating laws, making decisions that meaningfully affect the present and future, literally affect our ability to make a living.

And yet we fail to make the connection between substandard options and substandard results.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 6:23 PM
Closed account

Can we have a lighthearted, reasonably apolitical thread please?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Can we have a lighthearted, reasonably apolitical thread please?
I think that's the point, without moderation to the point of lack of interaction I don't know if there is anything left untainted by politics today.

Unfortunately, I think the realistic answer today is; no.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 9:21 PM
Great White Norf

Some of y'all are complete thieves of joy.

O-tacular, Molson, and others please continue with the memes and levity

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 11:34 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Some of y'all are complete thieves of joy.

O-tacular, Molson, and others please continue with the memes and levity
Thanks! I was beginning to think that my posts were oppressive or something.

Could totally use a day long car vape break if I vaped.

Last edited by O-tacular; Nov 26, 2021 at 12:02 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 4:10 PM
Fake News

Since this is related to feelings of Ben Affleck world weariness and also because this thread is a bit of a catch all I was hoping to see if anyone here with construction / home maintenance experience can offer some advice. During lockdown (within the last couple years) my house gets an intermittent horrible smell that comes through the cold air return duct. It occurs every time a fan is turned on (bathroom or hood fan in kitchen) as well as when we run the dryer. Smells musky /chemically / awful. Very strong and not comparable to anything I've smelled before. My wife is pregnant and I have a young son so we are worried if it might be mold or something. It is driving me insane.

I have checked inside the ducts for dead rodents and found nothing. I looked in the return and there is no visible sign of mold. I have had my furnace serviced and all my ducts cleaned. Still it remains. I even have my condo manager (I live in a townhouse) going to check my neighbour's unit as I thought I smelled it coming from their open window in the summer and the start of the smell lines up with them moving in. The condo manager is taking forever though and seems completely useless. He can't even evict the drug dealers that were SWATed 3 doors down back in 2020. I have this sinking feeling the inspection won't find anything. He insists it's sewer gas and to pour bleach into the drain in the basement which I have tried but the smell continues. Today I'm going to sweep my attic.

Has anyone had a similar experience or can offer advice? I know that lio has tons of rental properties so maybe he's dealt with something similar before?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 9:11 PM
Fake News

Nothing in the attic. On to air quality testing. So tired of this.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 4:46 PM
Fake News

Toddler reached into soiled diaper for the first time yesterday while sleeping.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 7:39 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Every Ticats fan, today.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 8:52 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Every Ticats fan, today.

True.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 2:28 AM
recession proof

I've been feeling incredibly run down and fatigued these past 6-12 months, increasingly depressed etc. So I finally convinced my doctor to get me a CBC blood test (she previously said it was SAD.) Result: severe iron deficiency. I was having palpitations, muscle and eye twitches; I quit my job because I had no energy and couldn't focus/brain fog and my hair was falling out. I don't know if it's related to celiac disease or if I have something worse like ITP....

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 4:11 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
I've been feeling incredibly run down and fatigued these past 6-12 months, increasingly depressed etc. So I finally convinced my doctor to get me a CBC blood test (she previously said it was SAD.) Result: severe iron deficiency. I was having palpitations, muscle and eye twitches; I quit my job because I had no energy and couldn't focus/brain fog and my hair was falling out. I don't know if it's related to celiac disease or if I have something worse like ITP....
Sorry to hear that. Glad you advocated enough for yourself to finally get properly checked. It seems you really have to push doctors these days to not simply write off symptoms with some generic catch all like SAD. It sucks when no one listens when you're telling them that something is wrong. Are you taking iron supplements?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 5:11 AM
Fake News

My wife told me I looked like the Ben Affleck meme this morning. Just need to photoshop some Dunkin Donuts in my hands. My son was born Thurs and it’s been a wild ride. Happy Father’s day!

Last edited by O-tacular; Jun 20, 2022 at 3:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 6:57 AM

Did you ever get that smell figured out? Sounds like an odd and difficult problem to pinpoint. I have had to deal with a call similar to yours at a commercial building. Couldn’t find anything in the unit and then the customer came out and told us it’s only on days like that one where the smell was strong outside too! Haha

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Every Ticats fan, today.
6 months later, and it's every Ticat fan again this past Sunday not easy being a fan of this team

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 5:39 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Did you ever get that smell figured out? Sounds like an odd and difficult problem to pinpoint. I have had to deal with a call similar to yours at a commercial building. Couldn’t find anything in the unit and then the customer came out and told us it’s only on days like that one where the smell was strong outside too! Haha
The mystery remains. Our neighbours are moving July 01 so I’m curious to see if it goes away with them. The annoying part is we can’t do laundry without it drawing air from outside and spewing the stench into our room. The only remedy is to turn on the A/C. Our house has been pretty frigid since bringing home the new baby (which in spite of my tired appearance I am super happy about), due to copious amounts of laundry that need to be done. We can’t even open windows because it draws the air in from the return.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 5:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
My wife told me I looked like the Ben Affleck meme this morning. Just need to photoshop some Dunkin Donuts in my hands. My son was born Thurs and it’s been a wild ride. Happy Father’s day!

Amazing news. Congratulations on kid #2. This is just great.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 5:58 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Amazing news. Congratulations on kid #2. This is just great.

Thanks! The Fuck Trudeau truck I posted in the ugly thread was what greeted us when my wife was admitted on Weds. She was only 37 weeks but needed an induction because of high blood pressure. Thankfully all went well and the hospital wasn’t overloaded like it was when my first son was born. Here’s our bundle of joy that I can’t believe is finally here:

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 6:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

really cute kid. I am really glad it all went well.

Just think of the goitered big Dave or Dean MOGA when you encounter the F*ck Trudeau Flags. There is a farmhouse on the main road to the expressway here in London that has the same flag flying from the top of his two-story house. What the hell is wrong with these people?

Standing by, waiting for free Hamberders and Covfefe: https://i.cbc.ca/1.4594540.152211802...ford-rally.jpg
And his brother: https://youtu.be/l1NE5-ekWbA

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 6:35 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
really cute kid. I am really glad it all went well.

Just think of the goitered big Dave or Dean MOGA when you encounter the F*ck Trudeau Flags. There is a farmhouse on the main road to the expressway here in London that has the same flag flying from the top of his two-story house. What the hell is wrong with these people?

Standing by, waiting for free Hamberders and Covfefe: https://i.cbc.ca/1.4594540.152211802...ford-rally.jpg
And his brother: https://youtu.be/l1NE5-ekWbA
Thanks! Just relieved that my wife and baby are alright.

Yeah that flag or sticker is basically a giant Asshole name tag for anyone flying it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada