HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:32 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
New PASCAN regional air service with Saint John, Bathurst and Halifax launching September 9th.

Press Release: https://ysjsaintjohn.ca/saint-john-a...l-air-service/

PASCAN Website: https://www.pascan.com/en/
Pascan to Halifax and Bathurst? Well it's better than just another seasonal sun destination, but I wouldn't call it a game changer either, especially without any interline or codeshare possibilities for onward connections.

The YSJ flights don't appear to be loaded in their booking system yet. I'll be curious on the pricing - a cursory look at Pascan's Gaspé to Quebec City flight in September has one way fares - subsidized by the province of Quebec and with a litany of restrictions - starting at $250. Non-subsidized one way fares are $625 and up... yikes!

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:35 PM

Article says that Pascan is planing to rent facilities at the Bathurst airport as the plane will be based here overnight. Long term is to build a new hangar to accommodate Pascan to store and maintain planes here. It will put the airport back in the black!

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
NB and NS aren’t exactly radically different in terms of population size. New Brunswick having two airports with 1 million+ passengers would be well in line with the demographic comparison to Nova Scotia.
I don't think your math holds up. NS population is almost 1.1M, with passengers through YHZ probably soon to equal the pre-pandemic levels of over 4M. That's a passenger:population ratio of 3.4:1.

NB population is just over 850K, so the NB ratio, per the figures in your post, would be 2M:850K = 2.3:1. That's a significant difference.

But the bare numbers really don't tell the story. Two airports in significantly smaller cities (Halifax is now over a half million) will never have the critical mass and synergies of the bigger city to compete in attracting carriers. It's not an apt comparison.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
Pascan to Halifax and Bathurst? Well it's better than just another seasonal sun destination, but I wouldn't call it a game changer either, especially without any interline or codeshare possibilities for onward connections.

The YSJ flights don't appear to be loaded in their booking system yet. I'll be curious on the pricing - a cursory look at Pascan's Gaspé to Quebec City flight in September has one way fares - subsidized by the province of Quebec and with a litany of restrictions - starting at $250. Non-subsidized one way fares are $625 and up... yikes!
It talks more about fares and the airlines intentions more here:

https://www.country94.ca/2024/05/08/...ifax-bathurst/

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7198210

Sandy Ross is saying that it would be around 570.00 for a return trip to Halifax by car???? Not sure math is his specialty. Worth a read lol.

On the bright side of all this is YSJ is the only Atlantic airport that will have 5x weekly service to Bathurst.

Last edited by homebody; Yesterday at 11:43 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
I don't think your math holds up. NS population is almost 1.1M, with passengers through YHZ probably soon to equal the pre-pandemic levels of over 4M. That's a passenger:population ratio of 3.4:1.

NB population is just over 850K, so the NB ratio, per the figures in your post, would be 2M:850K = 2.3:1. That's a significant difference.

But the bare numbers really don't tell the story. Two airports in significantly smaller cities (Halifax is now over a half million) will never have the critical mass and synergies of the bigger city to compete in attracting carriers. It's not an apt comparison.
SJ and Fredericton have a combined metropolitan population of over 250,000 and would draw on at least 300,000 people.

Greater Moncton is inching towards 200k on their own, and draw upon even more people outside their metro area.

You’re right that it’s not an apt comparison, that’s why I stated a more realistic goal of 1 million passengers for each airport. What’s so unrealistic about those numbers?

Old Posted Today, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
It talks more about fares and the airlines intentions more here:

https://www.country94.ca/2024/05/08/...ifax-bathurst/

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7198210

Sandy Ross is saying that it would be around 570.00 for a return trip to Halifax by car???? Not sure math is his specialty. Worth a read lol.

On the bright side of all this is YSJ is the only Atlantic airport that will have 5x weekly service to Bathurst.
His estimate is out to lunch. Although perhaps he is trying to get a big number by calculating vehicle depreciation, gas, wear and tear, maintenance etc to come up with a cost of 70 or 75 cents per kilometer.

I drive a mid size 6 cylinder SUV and would burn 75-80 litres of fuel to Halifax and back. So, at $1.80/litre I'd spend around $140 or so on fuel.

Old Posted Today, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post

I say it often but the other major facto that leads to such inflated numbers in NS vs NB is the remoteness. It does not look like much on a map but when I lived in Halifax the idea of driving to Montreal was ridiculous, but now that I am in Fredericton (and 8 hour round trip closer) I drive.

There is the added factor of competition with US cities as well. Sure Halifax snipes a few from NB and PEI but the majority of fliers are from NS and the flying is the best option for travel period.

If population equaled PAX numbers cities like London and Windsor would be above Charlottetown and Prince George but remoteness can really bump up your numbers.

Old Posted Today, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
I say it often but the other major facto that leads to such inflated numbers in NS vs NB is the remoteness. It does not look like much on a map but when I lived in Halifax the idea of driving to Montreal was ridiculous, but now that I am in Fredericton (and 8 hour round trip closer) I drive.
If Nova Scotia and Halifax didn't exist New Brunswick would very likely have a busier airport because it is still remote.

But thanks to Halifax Stanfield I can be in Europe sitting in a restaurant while you are still driving to Montreal tired and exhausted from the long and boring drive.

Old Posted Today, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
If Nova Scotia and Halifax didn't exist New Brunswick would very likely have a busier airport because it is still remote.

But thanks to Halifax Stanfield I can be in Europe sitting in a restaurant while you are still driving to Montreal tired and exhausted from the long and boring drive.
Wow, you are starting to sound like a real cocky dick lol

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces