HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 11:16 AM

Wasn't there some sort of proposal at one time for an Indigenous Museum on Victoria Island in Ottawa? I'm not opposed to having federal museums outside the capital (though I agree with MonctonRad that there is value in concentrating them there), but I think there would be particular significance in having some sort of Indigenous People's Museum on Victoria Island in Ottawa preferably owned/run/managed by the Indigenous people of Canada.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Why the Prairies? Arguable, the most striking visual elements of Indigenous art & culture have come out of the West Coast. Otherwise expanding the Canadian Museum of History, née Museum of Civilization which would seem the most appropriate.
Winnipeg already has the National Centre of Truth & Reconciliation, the first treaty in Canadian history, the largest collection of Inuit Art in the world, confirmed Indigenous settlements ranging as far back as 6000 years ago, and currently possesses the largest Indigenous and Métis population in the country.

In terms of art&culture you know the Tipi, arguably the second most iconic Indigenous built structure behind the Igloo was invented in the Great Plains of North America right?

It’s a no brainer really.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 12:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
It's even more pitiful we don't have one for Scottish Canadians. They pretty much built this country as we know it.
I don't generally approve the idea of having national museums for individual ethnicities (potentially divisive, and such a project could easily get out of hand), but I could get on board with the idea of a National Acadian Museum. The Acadians have a distinct and evocative history, and they sort of transcend the boundary between being a simple ethnicity and a "foundational people". Acadians are also distinct from the Quebecois.

Such a museum could also deal with telling the important story of the Acadian deportation (although one would hope this would be done in a balanced manner).

There already is an Acadian Museum at the Universite de Moncton, but I think a national museum could do a better job at presenting this complicated history and story.

Such a museum of course should be located in either NB or NS.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 1:14 PM

It's not really on topic, but it occurs to me that there are museums in Canada that many may not have heard of. For example, the Textile Museum of Canada, in Toronto. Did you know that there's a Fashion History Museum in Cambridge (Hespeler) ON?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 1:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
Wasn't there some sort of proposal at one time for an Indigenous Museum on Victoria Island in Ottawa? I'm not opposed to having federal museums outside the capital (though I agree with MonctonRad that there is value in concentrating them there), but I think there would be particular significance in having some sort of Indigenous People's Museum on Victoria Island in Ottawa preferably owned/run/managed by the Indigenous people of Canada.
Yes there was lots of discussion on this some years ago. Haven't heard about it in a while.

Though of late most of the focus has been on the former US embassy right across from Parliament, which has been transformed into a kind of administrative centre for Indigenous organizations. Some refer to this as an "Indigenous embassy" in Ottawa.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 1:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I don't generally approve the idea of having national museums for individual ethnicities (potentially divisive, and such a project could easily get out of hand), but I could get on board with the idea of a National Acadian Museum. The Acadians have a distinct and evocative history, and they sort of transcend the boundary between being a simple ethnicity and a "foundational people". Acadians are also distinct from the Quebecois.

Such a museum could also deal with telling the important story of the Acadian deportation (although one would hope this would be done in a balanced manner).

There already is an Acadian Museum at the Universite de Moncton, but I think a national museum could do a better job at presenting this complicated history and story.

Such a museum of course should be located in either NB or NS.
There is a fairly decent national historic site at Grand Pré in the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia.

It's almost like a museum, though not quite.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 1:38 PM
It's a nickname from work

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
It's not really on topic, but it occurs to me that there are museums in Canada that many may not have heard of. For example, the Textile Museum of Canada, in Toronto. Did you know that there's a Fashion History Museum in Cambridge (Hespeler) ON?
There are so many small, niche museums around the country that deserve to be expanded, or at least amalgamated into something grander. St. Mary's has the baseball hall of fame, and Peterborough has the Canadian Canoe Museum!

I think every city in the country deserves a large, dedicated exhibition space for a civic museum. Well, every town should have one, but the cities especially. Some already do, but they all deserve something bigger. Toronto doesn't have one yet, and Hamilton's is just virtual imagine that! There's so much history people are missing out on because of this, and I'm sure it's the case across the country as well.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 1:40 PM
sick transit, gloria

I'll second the vote for civic museums - have wanted a Toronto museum for quite some time now. It's almost gotten off the ground a few times but just not quite.

Weirdly enough I ran across a Nepean museum while biking in suburban Ottawa last summer. No idea what's in there but it was quite small.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 2:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Legendary posts of SSP museum.

All the 'greats' from TalB, Daquan13, MikeToronto, J.Will, etc.
Old timers here on SSP will take much delight. There was a good thread devoted to the subject a few years ago.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
There was a Canadian Costume Museum in Winnipeg for several years but they struggled to get off the ground and eventually had to leave their space. I think it still exists in some form, maybe as a travelling exhibit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I'll second the vote for civic museums - have wanted a Toronto museum for quite some time now. It's almost gotten off the ground a few times but just not quite.

Weirdly enough I ran across a Nepean museum while biking in suburban Ottawa last summer. No idea what's in there but it was quite small.
I remember visiting a civic museum in Montreal in 1992 and I was fucking blown away and I have always deeply regretted that Winnipeg doesn't have one ever since. I swear if I ever win Lotto Max that will be my legacy project. I will quit my job and focus on getting a Winnipeg museum off the ground

I have visited some truly amazing civic museums in the past. Montreal's was wonderful, but I also really enjoyed the ones in Hong Kong and Tokyo.

The closest we have in Winnipeg is the urban gallery and Winnipeg section at the Manitoba Museum. It's decent, but not quite enough to scratch the itch.

That said, I do agree with the need for a National Indigenous Peoples' Museum. This is the most glaring omission and should be A1 on the list of priorities. The CCA in Montreal already covers off architecture quite well, maybe it could be beefed up a little. Obviously this speaks to my own niche interest, but it would be nice to have an actual Canadian Sports Hall of Fame and Canadian Football Hall of Fame that you can visit full time. I always thought it was a travesty that they closed down in Toronto and Hamilton respectively.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 2:33 PM
I am the law!

So many opportunities to take someone's collection and propel it into a viable commercial operation with funding and professional management. I'd like to see more that.

Definitely count me in on civic museums. There's a ton of aboriginal experiences within the GTA and beyond already.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 2:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Why the Prairies? Arguable, the most striking visual elements of Indigenous art & culture have come out of the West Coast. Otherwise expanding the Canadian Museum of History, née Museum of Civilization which would seem the most appropriate.
Not sure if it fits the bill in terms of what people are looking for, but the Canadian Museum of History in Gatineau already has a significant Indigenous focus, and it continues to expand that aspect of its offering.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 3:01 PM
Fake News

I think Eddy Savoie could build a museum of ugly architecture.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 3:02 PM
Volatile Pacivist

How about the Beer, Wine and Spirits museum dedicated to exploring Canada's illustrious history in the production, marketing and distribution of hooch? There would be mention of the earliest booze in Canada, the first distilleries and breweries, the biggest success stories like the Molsons, Seagrams, Olands, etc. and Canada's role in prohibition.

There's a lot of places it could be located. The Niagara region, the distillery district, the Old Port, all come to mind.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
How about the Beer, Wine and Spirits museum dedicated to exploring Canada's illustrious history in the production, marketing and distribution of hooch? There would be mention of the earliest booze in Canada, the first distilleries and breweries, the biggest success stories like the Molsons, Seagrams, Olands, etc. and Canada's role in prohibition.

There's a lot of places it could be located. The Niagara region, the distillery district, the Old Port, all come to mind.
Seagrams had a museum in Waterloo, ON for a few years back in the 1990s.
The Canadian Clay and Glass Gallery is across the street.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 3:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I think Eddy Savoie could build a museum of ugly architecture.
Great Idea. Right behind Clockzilla (or better still, in the room lurking behind the cyclops eye).

I would not visit, however, as I would be scared of being trapped forever.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:24 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post

That's a great idea. I'm not sure where it should be located, but Ottawa might just make sense in that it's the capital, and it'd contribute to a possible museum district as discussed earlier in this thread. There's many stories and contributions made by Canadians with alcohol production, distribution and general start ups and business growth.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
That's a great idea. I'm not sure where it should be located, but Ottawa might just make sense in that it's the capital, and it'd contribute to a possible museum district as discussed earlier in this thread. There's many stories and contributions made by Canadians with alcohol production, distribution and general start ups and business growth.
Hull across the river was actually known as Le Petit Chicago during the Prohibition era, with notables like Al Capone apparently sighted around town.

Though I think Medicine Hat or Moose Jaw also played that role in the West.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:49 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hull across the river was actually known as Le Petit Chicago during the Prohibition era, with notables like Al Capone apparently sighted around town.

Though I think Medicine Hat or Moose Jaw also played that role in the West.
Not to mention the rampant smuggling of alcohol made during the time of the railway building across Canada in the 1860's, once the use of alohol was found to be too much of an impediment for workers to continue working to the point of politicians liking at the time. (Of course, there were other issues too, like crime etc)

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 9:26 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Great Idea. Right behind Clockzilla (or better still, in the room lurking behind the cyclops eye).

I would not visit, however, as I would be scared of being trapped forever.

There would be a hall of bronze statues resembling everyday tourists with Eddy watching over them I'm sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada