HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 11:30 PM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The PCs have a chance if there is a surge in NDP support. While the PCs basically have no hope of winning in my riding at this point, if it flips from Liberal to NDP, that could increase the seat split between the two left wing parties and lead to a PC government.
I think I understand your position but your remarks seem very regional. Most of my comments are for the entire province.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 12:23 AM
It's Hammer Time

Jesus, no results to be announced today.

Such a disaster!!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 12:40 AM

Ford is very disliked among the general public. Outside of right wing circles nobody can even stomach him. The vital centrist voters will easily consider a nose holding vote for Wynne over Ford.

For the NDP the goal is to reach second place. If the NDP overtake the Liberals in polling, almost all Liberals will jump ship to the NDP en masse and boom, NDP government.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 12:40 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetmountainland View Post
I hardly think the Ontario voters can be duped again. Like I said before do not underestimate Doug Ford.
They weren't duped before. They had an option, the option proved itself to be a bumbling mess that didn't deserve their vote, so they retreated to the known evil.

The PCs were winning every time right up until the last minute gaffe, it wasn't the Liberals that did that, it was the PCs. Every time. The Liberals were honest every time, they honestly haven't made any major lies in their campaigns aside from McGuinty promising not to raise taxes (and then raising taxes—in as much as a geared-to-income flat rate premium is a tax) and Wynne promising to balance the books and not balancing them. They've done a few dishonest things and lied about that but as far as their platform goes, they're mostly implementing it. The Hydro One sale was a sneaky move; it wasn't in their election platform, they announced it some time later. But selling Hydro One has been a PC policy since the early 1990s, and it was only possible for the Liberals to do it because the PCs started the process for them.

Tim Hudak, in 2014, promised/threatened to lay off one hundred thousand civil servants. That would result in an unemployment rate in the province of nearly 10% at the time, and necessitate the payout of hundreds of millions if not billions in severance, while gutting the public service. That's why he lost. That legitimately alarmed people, not just because of what it would do to the government, but because of what it would do to those looking for work. It would have majorly screwed up our economy. You can't lay off 1.1% of a province's workforce and expect things to be OK! It's lunacy!

Quote:
I think I understand your position but your remarks seem very regional. Most of my comments are for the entire province.
Northern Ontario is very regional. Toronto is a two hour flight from my city. It's as far from Thunder Bay as Lloydminster is from Vancouver. Kenora to Toronto is further than Vancouver to Yorkton, SK. Toronto is urban, we're rural. Policies that get implemented on a province wide basis very often don't work as intended in this region because the geography, economy and demographics are too different from the situation the programs were based on. There are a lot of exemptions for this region to assist with it (we get a lower tax rate—little more than half of the rate across the border in either Manitoba or Quebec—and decent rebates on heating costs, as well as half-price vehicle licensing and fewer environmental regulations for cars) but things like social assistance and housing (policies which are largely unchanged from the previous PC government) are severely dysfunctional and out of touch with the local reality, and the restrictions on what cities are allowed to do in that area makes solving social issues very difficult here compared to BC. While BC and Vancouver have a real strategy to deal with their opioid crisis, in Thunder Bay (which has been dealing with opioid abuse since the early 2000s) the best we've got so far is a handful of private companies (owned by a friend of the former premier and I think Wynne has a stake in the company?) that provide methadone to addicts, but only in quantities that prolong the addiction, not end it. (The revenue is patient based, which cancels out the incentive to actually cure the addictions; if they stop needing the methadone, the money stops flowing in.) And again, this is something that the PCs not only won't deal with, but they'll likely make it worse by cutting the few existing programs we do have. When an addict is arrested (because that's what we do with them) they have two options: detox facility, or hospital. The rehab facility has 12 beds. (That's all—a city of 108,000 with nearly 600 homeless people, and only 12 detox beds). The hospital has 350 beds, but is chronically overcrowded, with patients resting in cordoned off areas of sunrooms and hallways. In Sudbury, which recently had several hospitals replaced by a superhospital with fewer beds, they put one patient in a bathroom for a week.

And I've actually stumbled upon another broken promise: both the provincial Liberals and federal Conservatives promised to fix health care, but it's still significantly flawed. Sure, it's better than the US, but that's a pretty fucking low bar to aim for. Comparing our system to the US is like saying "this is much better than a bicycle!" as you ride a moped on the 401.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
For the NDP the goal is to reach second place. If the NDP overtake the Liberals in polling, almost all Liberals will jump ship to the NDP en masse and boom, NDP government.
That would be ironic for the PCs. One one hand, Wynne will have been defeated, but on the other hand, Premier Andrea Horwath.

Last edited by vid; Mar 11, 2018 at 12:54 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 12:49 AM
BANNED

Well, we are in for 4 more years of wynne...

Not many outside of Toronto will vote for Doug.
NDP really haven't been making a name for themselves.

As hated as the Liberals are, they likely will win. We might be lucky and have a minority government.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 12:51 AM

No word yet from any official PC channels. Both Ford and Elliott are dead silent.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 12:57 AM

Sure Vid, they were not duped? Again already posted
Quote:
Remember what Ontario’s finance minister had to say in that long-ago era of … 11 months ago. It was stirring stuff: “I am pleased to announce that we will be balancing the budget this year. And next year and the year after, we’re projecting it will be balanced, too. And the people of Ontario can count on it.”

Wonderful. Clear. To the point. A firm commitment, and, after repeated massive deficits, a necessary step.

The problem is … it was bogus.
Quote:
It was nice while it lasted. Because it turns out that when the finance minister said Ontarians could count on balanced budgets, what he really meant was that the province would continue to be billions of dollars in the red. In a speech to the Economic Club in Toronto this week ahead of this month’s budget, Sousa announced that deficits were back, pledging only to keep it below one per cent of the province’s $800-billion GDP. That means anything up to $8 billion in deficit spending next year is on the table.
So explain not being duped?

How long have the liberals been in power? Pretty long time to be duped! I suggest it is time for a change.
It is really not much of a theory.

I like the saying once bitten twice shy. In Ontario I like the saying three times bitten four time shy!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 1:00 AM
I am a typical

If that's being duped, then the Conservatives duped us twice as well. They inherited a surplus and turned it into deficits before the financial crash of 2008, and apparently the economy didn't recover until we elected Trudeau?

There is more to government than a balanced budget, but if that's what you demand, then explain to me how Doug Ford is going to balance the budget (as he promises) without any kind of tax increase, and not enough growth in the forecast to generate the revenue he needs to do it at the current rate? He's already duping Ontarians and he's not even officially leader yet!

Also, a deficit or surplus of less than 1% of GDP is generally meaningless, the roughly balanced budget (which all Ontario cities are required, by law, to have) will find itself in surplus and deficit within that margin throughout the fiscal year depending on growth and spending patterns. Harper had the same situation with a couple of his budgets when forecast growth failed to meet a forecast and resulted in a deficit, did he dupe us?

Look at the state of the economy between now and a year ago: it hasn't performed as well as hoped. Obviously the Liberals maintained their spending goals and gave up their promise to not have a deficit, but they promised the spending too, so whether they cut to achieve a surplus or maintained their spending into a deficit, one side of the political spectrum would always be saying they were duped.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 1:13 AM

Quote:
If that's being duped, then the Conservatives duped us twice as well. They inherited a surplus and turned it into deficits before the financial crash of 2008, and apparently the economy didn't recover until we elected Trudeau?

There is more to government than a balanced budget, but if that's what you demand, then explain to me how Doug Ford is going to balance the budget (as he promises) without any kind of tax increase, and not enough growth in the forecast to generate the revenue he needs to do it at the current rate? He's already duping Ontarians and he's not even officially leader yet!

Also, a deficit or surplus of less than 1% of GDP is generally meaningless, the roughly balanced budget (which all Ontario cities are required, by law, to have) will find itself in surplus and deficit within that margin throughout the fiscal year depending on growth and spending patterns. Harper had the same situation with a couple of his budgets when forecast growth failed to meet a forecast and resulted in a deficit, did he dupe us?

Look at the state of the economy between now and a year ago: it hasn't performed as well as hoped. Obviously the Liberals maintained their spending goals and gave up their promise to not have a deficit, but they promised the spending too, so whether they cut to achieve a surplus or maintained their spending into a deficit, one side of the political spectrum would always be saying they were duped.
I understand that there is more to a government than a balanced budget. I know that 1% of GDP is meaningless to you. However, it is when a party bluntly lies about its financial situation that people need to think.
Sure they were not suppose to have a 1% deficit this year it was only 11 months that they assured the people of Ontario that they would be running balanced budgets for years.

You lose the confidence of the population when you lie. Sometimes you need change for change sake to find out the truth or change the outcome of failing results.

If I was in Ontario I would be embarrassed by the liberal government all the way back to Dalton!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 1:15 AM

With all due respect sunsetmountainland please stop telling us Ontarians how we should feel. Our politics is our business.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 1:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I understand that there is more to a government than a balanced budget. I know that 1% of GDP is meaningless to you. However, it is when a party bluntly lies about its financial situation that people need to think.
Sure they were not suppose to have a 1% deficit this year it was only 11 months that they assured the people of Ontario that they would be running balanced budgets for years.

You lose the confidence of the population when you lie. Sometimes you need change for change sake to find out the truth or change the outcome of failing results.

If I was in Ontario I would be embarrassed by the liberal government all the way back to Dalton!
I don't think anyone in our province thinks she is the best for the job. Sadly, it seems she is the least worst.

We no longer seem to be voting for the best of the leaders. We are voting for the least worst.

It is also why Trudeau won, and why Trump won. None of these are great leaders. They are the least worst of the choices.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
With all due respect sunsetmountainland please stop telling us Ontarians how we should feel. Our politics is our business.
With all due respect 1overcosc, I am a Canadian I care about Canada. If Ontario is not doing or being run well as a Canadian I have a right to voice my opinion.
Ontario is a great province, it has lots going for it their is no reason to have bad government. Ontario used to be the province that was the leader of being reliable and supportive toward the country. Since the liberals they are now known as a have not province!

Why is that?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I don't think anyone in our province thinks she is the best for the job. Sadly, it seems she is the least worst.

We no longer seem to be voting for the best of the leaders. We are voting for the least worst.

It is also why Trudeau won, and why Trump won. None of these are great leaders. They are the least worst of the choices.
That is a reasonable argument but then you need to give someone else a shot at the leadership if the one you have is failing keep them accountable!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 1:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
That is a reasonable argument but then you need to give someone else a shot at the leadership if the one you have is failing keep them accountable!
So, you mean like Alberta did for 40+ years.....

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
So, you mean like Alberta did for 40+ years.....
Good point, however if they had some different governments between that time the change could have been good. Perhaps, more investments in the economy, other than natural resources.

However, they still do have that resource so they need to make use of it!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 1:33 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
With all due respect 1overcosc, I am a Canadian I care about Canada. If Ontario is not doing or being run well as a Canadian I have a right to voice my opinion.
Ontario is a great province, it has lots going for it their is no reason to have bad government. Ontario used to be the province that was the leader of being reliable and supportive toward the country. Since the liberals they are now known as a have not province!

Why is that?
Ontario barely receives anything from equalization, and after this year, won't receive anything due to the new federal criteria. But even when we were a have-not province, we contributed far more into the equalization funds pool than BC did. We just got all of it back with a (tiny) cherry on top. Our first equalization payment was something like $3,000,000. And that wasn't due solely to provincial mismanagement, it was due to economic decline. We're part of the rustbelt, and the 2008 financial collapse hurt our manufacturing sector significantly. BC doesn't really manufacture much, your economy is largely based on being Alberta's whipping boy and Chinese speculators. Who really has more future? Keep in mind: BC is the only province with lower taxes than us. All of them, even Alberta, have higher taxes. If we had the same tax rates as Alberta or Saskatchewan, we would never have needed the equalization funds, and if we matched Manitoba or Quebec, we'd have never had deficits.

Ontario's budget problems are due to a stubborn anti-tax-increase/anti-spending-cut mentality. The only way to fix it is to address both sides of that coin simultaneously.

Quote:
We already are. But understand this: we would be even more embarrassed by a Ford government.

Quote:
Well this is an excellent point!

You see, for the past 7 years or so, since Hudak was the leader of the party, the PCs haven't done a very good job of actually being an opposition. Under Brown, Andrea Horwath and the NDP spend more time acting as the opposition than the PCs did. Which is something a lot of Ontarians noticed, and part of why despite the disaster that Wynne's Liberals have been, the PCs are still barely surpassing them in polls and still might lose for a fifth time in a row.

Quote:
Good point, however if they had some different governments between that time the change could have been good. Perhaps, more investments in the economy, other than natural resources.

Except that much of the world doesn't really want Alberta's oil, and the lower oil prices due to overproduction in the Middle East is making Alberta's oil sands relatively unprofitable. They were in an economic mess before the NDP were elected there because of the slump in oil prices. A dependence on oil would be just as disastrous for Alberta as Ontario's dependence on manufacturing was for us in the 2000s.

BTW, putting an Alberta oil pipeline through Northern Ontario was universally derided here. We knew it wouldn't result in job creations because we've all watched TCPL reduce the staffing at their stations from a dozen men per station to a dozen men remotely controlling a dozen stations. Everything about that promise was a lie. That exact line they wanted to convert blew up numerous times in this region and they wanted us to trust it with overpriced low quality oil so it could be shipped to China for processing? Fuck that! At least BC will get a port out of their pipeline. We would have gotten just as much either way: nothing.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Ontario barely receives anything from equalization, and after this year, won't receive anything due to the new federal criteria. But even when we were a have-not province, we contributed far more into the equalization funds pool than BC did. We just got all of it back with a (tiny) cherry on top. Our first equalization payment was something like $3,000,000. And that wasn't due solely to provincial mismanagement, it was due to economic decline. We're part of the rustbelt, and the 2008 financial collapse hurt our manufacturing sector significantly. BC doesn't really manufacture much, your economy is largely based on being Alberta's whipping boy and Chinese speculators. Who really has more future? Keep in mind: BC is the only province with lower taxes than us. All of them, even Alberta, have hiagher taxes. If we had the same tax rates as Alberta or Saskatchewan, we would never have needed the equalization funds, and if we matched Manitoba or Quebec, we'd have never had deficits.

Ontario's budget problems are due to a stubborn anti-tax-increase/anti-spending-cut mentality. The only way to fix it is to address both sides of that coin simultaneously.

We already are. But understand this: we would be even more embarrassed by a Ford government.
I like how you are trying to change the topic. However, before the Ontario liberal government Ontario did not get equalization payments. With the size of the provinces economy it should never have got any. But it did.

With regards to being more embarrassed by a Ford government how can you even say that when you should be embarrassed by a Wynne government!

Rob Ford if he is the PC leader is still not government so nothing to be embarrassed about! I would be embarrassed about a Wynne government though that would make sense to me.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 1:44 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
I like how you are trying to change the topic. However, before the Ontario liberal government Ontario did not get equalization payments. With the size of the provinces economy it should never have got any. But it did.
Quebec gets equalization too and their economy is bigger than yours. And we're not going to be getting then anymore starting next year. And the entire time we got them, they were insignificant.

Quote:
With regards to being more embarrassed by a Ford government how can you even say that when you should be embarrassed by a Wynne government!
It's the difference between being caught naked in public (Wynne) and being caught naked in public while eating your own shit (Ford). Does that make it clearer?

Quote:
Rob Ford if he is the PC leader is still not government so nothing to be embarrassed about! I would be embarrassed about a Wynne government though that would make sense to me.
Rob Ford is dead but I'll forgive that. Doug Ford, if PC leader, is still not government, but we have an election in three months, and after that, what will he be doing? He's not quite as embarrassing as Rob was, but he's still quite a two-faced conman of a politician.

I don't even know if he would be a good leader of the opposition, because all of his points are going to be so hyperbolic and overblown, just like they were when he was a councillor, that the government won't bother to take him seriously. And we typically can our leaders after they lose an election, so if he does end up leader of the opposition, he won't be in the role for long. The PCs won't forgive a man who lost to Wynne.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Quebec gets equalization too and their economy is bigger than yours. And we're not going to be getting then anymore starting next year. And the entire time we got them, they were insignificant.

It's the difference between being caught naked in public (Wynne) and being caught naked in public while eating your own shit (Ford). Does that make it clearer?

Rob Ford is dead but I'll forgive that. Doug Ford, if PC leader, is still not government, but we have an election in three months, and after that, what will he do? He's not quite as embarrassing as Rob was, but he's still quite a two-faced conman of a politician.
Does Quebec get equalization, I thought that it is doing pretty well right now?
Either way not really important to me. Ontario used to not get equalization now it does after a liberal government.

So you are embarrassed about someone you know nothing about? While you are not embarrassed about Kathleen Wynne? Who, you know all about. Please explain?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 1:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Wynne is allowing the Ring of Fire to go forward. I'd say that they are both allowing the extraction of the natural resources.

I really wish that the PCs didn't implode so close to the election. We might have had a solid minority government.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario