HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 12:16 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post

The "cryptocurrency of real estate" is an interesting moniker as people with money like to build cool/odd houses and old working class neighborhoods/old industrial areas gives you a good bang for your buck.
Maybe the "meme stocks" of real estate would be better? Raggedy looking hoods with culverts and shotgun shacks that aren't really that well located but are popular seem like they are popular because they are popular in spite of poor fundamentals. It's a feedback loop. I guess now that these neighborhoods have been gentrified, eventually they will improve and gain new services and hold their value. In contrast I wonder how much longer GameStop will be in business even if they did get a windfall due to Reddit.

I don't agree with posts characterizing Austin as being full of shotgun shacks and culverts though. Maybe Nashville looks like that, but you have to cherry pick specific examples from Austin, like parts of far East Austin that back in 2000 were the edge of town and were semi-rural. Most of old Austin seems to have more solid homes and sidewalks, landscaping, etc. Austin was a comparatively well to do state capital and college town, after all.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
Is it not the same thing in the real world? NYC is such an outlier and is very much romanticized. I'm talking about real life not imagined life.
I'm not sure I'm following. NYC is growing rapidly because it's a desirable place to live with plenty of jobs. There are other cities that may be growing with plenty of jobs too but are not desirable places to live. People don't necessarily want to live in the city they relocate to, it just might be the only option available to them at a given time. Think of how gentrification forces people to move to less desirable areas as they don't have the means to live where they want to live.

As another personal example, I moved to a city I disliked purely to accept a promotion. As I started questioning myself if I made the right move, I was approved for permanent WFH and I've since moved to somewhere I really wanted to be. It's been liberating!

I'm reminded of one of those Not Just Bikes vlogs in which they make the observation that millions of Americans travel to Europe and other vibrant urban enviros to escape the "soul crushing" banality of their suburban lifestyle. There is something about these neighborhoods that we find attractive and want to visit, so why not build more of that here in this country.

Austin isn't on my personal top lists, but it has a lot of things going for it and I have wandered around a very vibrant downtown and South Congress without a car. There are certainty worse places to call home in the United States, and I see the attraction if you're relocating from one of those places to Austin.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 12:59 AM
Future God

Aww, you guys, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside witnessing Nashville being randomly shit on for no reason on SSP ALONG SIDE Austin, instead of being singled out and randomly shit on for no reason on SSP! We must really be starting to make a positive impression on people! I knew we'd eventually wear you down.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 1:22 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
I don’t see what the big deal is regarding sidewalks in residential neighborhoods. I used to live in Travis Heights (South Austin) and the walkability was great. You could get downtown in a matter of minutes without sidewalks. Plus a lot of the heritage oaks grow too close to the street to allow for sidewalks. I would prefer greenery over a 4’ wide concrete slab any day.
Yep. We have 150 to 300 year old Live Oaks in our neighborhood that are too big to get your arms around. I'd much rather have them than a sidewalk. What's funny is the first house I grew up in was on one of the main north/south corridors in south Austin that actually runs into downtown. That street has sidewalks, but even with them the traffic whizzing by makes it kind of an unpleasant environment. The 2nd house I grew up in did not have sidewalks, but the street, while busy, isn't so busy that you can't walk in the street. I've become so used to it that even in neighborhoods with sidewalks I still opt to walk in the street, just as I did on Halloween. And again, the neighborhood has a lot of old trees close to the street. Not only are they near the street, but because the bedrock is relatively shallow here, the trees tend to lift the ground level. I've seen a lotta busted up sidewalks here where the Oak trees destroyed them. They aren't a problem when you live in a pancake flat place with bedrock that is farther down, but you can hit rock here in less than 2 feet in places.

Anyway, Austin and its residents don't care what people up north think.

Also, let's not pretend there aren't other cities without sidewalks, streetlights or curbs and storm drains. You can throw a dart at a map of the US and find neighborhoods like that all over the place, even in "urban cities" that are doted on as darlings. What's more, that area is relatively the same distance from downtown Pittsburgh as the neighborhoods in Austin cited as examples in this thread, and the ones in Austin have much better connectivity to downtown than this one in Pittsburgh does.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4081...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4078...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4076...7i13312!8i6656

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad635 View Post
You wanna see part of the problem? This is a big part of it. The yellow areas ban all development except single family, detached houses.

This map is 20 years old. If our skyline is any example of Austin's growth, you can be sure there is more multi-family around today than in this map, which seems to be mislabeling at least some of the multifamily projects here anyway as I know there are more than that just in my neighborhood, and they aren't represented in the map. It's not like Austin doesn't have its fair share of boring, soulless but efficient at cramming people into small quarters apartment complexes. I assure you, we're quite good at it.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Dec 2, 2021 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Aww, you guys, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside witnessing Nashville being randomly shit on for no reason on SSP ALONG SIDE Austin, instead of being singled out and randomly shit on for no reason on SSP! We must really be starting to make a positive impression on people! I knew we'd eventually wear you down.
Yeah, this forum has never been pro-sunbelt boomtown.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 1:52 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Yeah, this forum has never been pro-sunbelt boomtown.
The lands of country music and bachelorette parties! The only difference is the Nashville hot chicken.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 1:56 AM

And with that, the thread is closed. It's way past any worthwhile discussion.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions